HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel to Colorado for 3rd overall in 2009

Old
06-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Johnstarks

vCash: 500
[QUOTE
Pending contract aside does it make sense for Boston to trade a young and productive winger for another center?[/QUOTE]

This is also my biggest question mark. The bruins have loads of talent at the center position but the wing remains thin. Savard, Bergeron, Colborne, Sobotka, Hamil, etc.

Johnstarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:11 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstarks View Post
This is also my biggest question mark. The bruins have loads of talent at the center position but the wing remains thin. Savard, Bergeron, Colborne, Sobotka, Hamil, etc.
That is why they might be looking at Kane or MPS at the #3.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post

Hilarious. Like Colorado would trade away Matt Duchene for Phil Kessel. Duchene being a perfect replacement for Sakic and a lifelong Avs fan vs Kessel who's a good hockey player, but definitely doesn't have the tools that Duchene has shown.

Hmmm...that's a tough one.

One of the dumbest rumours I've heard in a while.

well you dont know anything about the draft then....draft picks are risky no matter what....there have been better prospects than Duchene that turned busts.

I am not saying Colorado would do this but it's not a bad proposal.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:13 PM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
So, Duchene is going to be their Jordan Staal? I certainly think it's possible, and it wouldn't be a bad move. But I wonder if they can't get a stud defenseman, because that's really what they need the most. Of course, they need a goalie even before that, but what goalie is worth the No. 3 overall pick?

It's going to get even more interesting soon.
No. Duchene will be much better then Jordan Staal.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:15 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
I don't see the Avs doing it. Duchene is likely to be there at 3 and he should wind up being a more complete player than kessel. And, yeah, I know Kessel is already a proven scorer. However, Duchene's defensive game NOW is better than Kessel's.
This, this, this. I think Duchene would be exellent in Colorado.

The Fear Boners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:17 PM
4rde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I think Boston would need to add a little bit more to the trade, but the main elements make sense.
Kessel not worth 3rd overall?

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
Kessel not worth 3rd overall?
No, he's not. Duchene is expected to be a much better player than Kessel.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
1. Because they might not be able to sign him.

2. Because they might want some extra room salary cap wise.

3. Because they dont want another team pulling a Penner or Vanek situation by making an RFA offer that they have to match. Yes they would get picks as compensation, but nothing as tasty as a 3rd overall pick resulting in a player like a Tavares, Duchene or Hedman.
1. There's no reason they can't. There are easy salaries to offload that allow this to happen.

2. There are better ways to go about that then dealing your best goal scoring player by a wide margin (who happens to be 21).

3. How'd that work out for those teams? You think maybe Lowe learned his lesson with Penner? No team is offering 7 million + offer sheets this year, not with the cap uncertainty next season. If someone offers 4-5 Boston matches.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan View Post
well you dont know anything about the draft then....draft picks are risky no matter what....there have been better prospects than Duchene that turned busts.

I am not saying Colorado would do this but it's not a bad proposal.
I know a lot about the draft. And I've followed Duchene for a long time now. This kid is gold. As I said, the perfect replacement for Sakic. If you don't know that by now, by watching him, by reading scouting reports etc., then I have no idea what to tell you.

This is as dumb a proposal as I've ever heard.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
That is why they might be looking at Kane or MPS at the #3.
Kessel's already a 35+ goal scoring winger. You think they want to get stronger on the wing by trading their best winger for a potential?

High Risk, little reward. The only way this gets done is if Kessel refuses to sign in Boston or asks for 6+ mill per. There's no reason to think either scenario will happen.

Boston's window is now, this makes no sense for them.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Omar Little
Omar comin yo

If this actually happened you think boston would package this pick plus their 1st rounder later in the draft to move up to TB's spot and pick hedman....imagine Hedman and Chara manning the blueline

Omar Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Johnstarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post
I know a lot about the draft. And I've followed Duchene for a long time now. This kid is gold. As I said, the perfect replacement for Sakic. If you don't know that by now, by watching him, by reading scouting reports etc., then I have no idea what to tell you.

This is as dumb a proposal as I've ever heard.
Its not a proposal, its a rumor... big difference. Apparently the Boston Herald had something about this topic as well.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:26 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
Was this a serious post or just an attempt to stir the pot?

Pending contract aside does it make sense for Boston to trade a young and productive winger for another center?

if they were looking to deal Bergeron or Savard, mayeb it would. Also, Colorado isn't accustomed to being a bottom dweller so they may be looking to improve more quickly than most teams with a 3rd overall pic. If that's the case the guy that has already shown he's living up to his potential may be more attractive to them than an 18 year old that will take 2 or 3 years to make a real big impact.
Wasn't to stir the pot, it's to point out that if this was to go down, Sherman would have signed his pink slip before he really even took over. Kessel is a fun hockey player, he's fast, he can score. But Matt Duchene has the potential to slide right into the Avs lineup and create a 1-2 punch with Stastny that will be one of the best for the next decade.

I don't know where CKAC gets their rumours, but someone's pulling their leg on this one.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Johnstarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
1. There's no reason they can't. There are easy salaries to offload that allow this to happen.

2. There are better ways to go about that then dealing your best goal scoring player by a wide margin (who happens to be 21).

3. How'd that work out for those teams? You think maybe Lowe learned his lesson with Penner? No team is offering 7 million + offer sheets this year, not with the cap uncertainty next season. If someone offers 4-5 Boston matches.
I'm not saying these reasons are valid and as a matter of fact I personnally think Boston is better off keeping Kessel. However, if I'm the Bruins's GM and I know someone is about to offer Kessel a huge amount of $$$ that I'm not willing to match you have to ask yourself what do you prefer? Several picks that could be very well placed over the spawn of a couple of years? or 1 very strong pick in a very strong draft. That alone makes this rumor plausible IMO.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:28 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

value-wise this is fine

cap and the avs situation-wise: not so much

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:29 PM
4rde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
No, he's not. Duchene is expected to be a much better player than Kessel.
Guy who would've scored 40 goals in 82 games (36 in 70) at 21 of age is pretty valuable to me.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Its not a proposal, its a rumor... big difference. Apparently the Boston Herald had something about this topic as well.
The Herald pulls its information from the Globe in most cases and the writer there has been suggesting Boston trade Kessel for years now. I'd hardly cite CKAC as a credible source for Bruins rumors either.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:30 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
It's wishful thinking.

Old
06-03-2009, 01:35 PM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Kessel is a RFA and the Avs have little cap space as it is. They can't afford to sign Kessel unless salary goes back Boston's way. Something around:

Clark/Salei + Kessel for 3rd overall.

I wouldn't do it because that 3rd could be Hedman/Duchene [Tampa could trade Vinny, either way I don't know] but either or would be great for the Avs future. Wolski is a good player but if he can't pan out here next season as the no. 2 center [I hope he doesn't become the no. 3 center behind Sakic] then the Avs will likely trade him giving room for Duchene as the no. 2 center in the future. We have a log jam of centers for next year with Staz - Wolly - Joe, not for the future since Staz is the only one signed on after next season so far.

Either way, I wouldn't mind Kessel but for now I'd rather keep the pick.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I hope this trade happens to again add points to the argument that proven players are worth more than draft picks.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I think Boston would need to add a little bit more to the trade, but the main elements make sense.
Boston would need to add? hahahahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I hope this trade happens to again add points to the argument that proven players are worth more than draft picks.
Agreed. Only on HFboards.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Prior to the 40th post, did anyone even both looking at how this move affects Colorado under the cap?

Kessel made $2.2 million last year and will be expecting a raise going forward. The Avs cannot afford him without moving salary elsewhere. Until that happens, this isn't a serious rumor. Move along people.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
Kessel is a RFA and the Avs have little cap space as it is. They can't afford to sign Kessel unless salary goes back Boston's way.
COL is actually in a good position cap-wise. If they go as expected with a youth movement (ie, not retaining most UFAs as they come due), their cap hit for the next three seasons would like something like this with a 23 man roster:
  • 2009-10: $53.762mm
  • 2010-11: $40.087mm
  • 2011-12: $38.925mm

Net net, they can afford to take on salary if it means winning in a deal.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Tombernack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
Guy who would've scored 40 goals in 82 games (36 in 70) at 21 of age is pretty valuable to me.
Kessel is very valuable, but goals aren't everything that makes a good hockey player. In a normal year, Kessel is worth a fair bit more than just the 3rd overall, but this year Tavares, Hedman and Duchene are all thought of in the highest regard. Their potential is worth more than Kessel. COL isn't making a cup run for awhile anyway.

They'll take the great 2 way prospect with a pair over Kessel.

Tombernack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
COL is actually in a good position cap-wise. If they go as expected with a youth movement (ie, not retaining most UFAs as they come due), their cap hit for the next three seasons would like something like this with a 23 man roster:
  • 2009-10: $53.762mm
  • 2010-11: $40.087mm
  • 2011-12: $38.925mm

Net net, they can afford to take on salary if it means winning in a deal.
After this year, they will be, but for this next season they have about $9 million to sign about 10 players--two of which are goalies.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote