HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel to Colorado for 3rd overall in 2009

Old
06-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I hope this trade happens to again add points to the argument that proven players are worth more than draft picks.
Bingo

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 02:59 PM
18Mike18

Chara for the 3rd

18Mike18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
BruinsBtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post

Hilarious. Like Colorado would trade away Matt Duchene for Phil Kessel. Duchene being a perfect replacement for Sakic and a lifelong Avs fan vs Kessel who's a good hockey player, but definitely doesn't have the tools that Duchene has shown.

Hmmm...that's a tough one.

One of the dumbest rumours I've heard in a while.
This is ridiculous. Duchese's shot and speed are nowhere near Kessel's. And the people who rip on Kessel's defensive ability have no idea what they're talking about.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:00 PM
HSF

WOW ppl are overvaluing the 3rd overall pick!

Ppl do know that Kessel is 21 years old right?

This is definitly a realistic deal

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:01 PM
C77

I'd much rather keep Kessel and trade a good prospect and a roster player (Kobasew?) to trade into the top 8-10 to get Kulikov.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:02 PM
18Mike18

the Avs cant take on kessel, he will cost too much
Duchene works perfect entry level deal for 3 years. exactly what the Avs need.

18Mike18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:11 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieRuzica View Post
This is ridiculous. Duchese's shot and speed are nowhere near Kessel's. And the people who rip on Kessel's defensive ability have no idea what they're talking about.
Spin it anyway you want. It's never gonna happen. End of story.

Don't believe me, put it to a poll and see what results you get. Or better yet, just wait until draft day when this doesn't happen.

Colorado has a few years yet until they're competitive, why on earth would they trade a center who's going to be a great NHL player (and again, not to be confrontational, but anyone who's seen this kid play knows he'll be a great player) for a winger who's 21 and has 40 goals to his NHL credit? To vie for the Cup next year? The year after? What possible reason would the Avs have to do this?

I'll take any reason. That Kessel is young, fast and will score a lot next season? Nah. The Avs want to build their team correctly I would imagine.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae44 View Post
Only way Boston does this if they think they cant sign Kessel.
They may have to because of the Cap and well Colorado really should of been better than they were and they have some young talent

I would think this is a fair deal cause Kessel is still really young and has proven he can be a top scorer now

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Colorado should trade with Atlanta for Pavelec, Exelby, and Atlanta's 2nd for an impact expensive Av.

Then go ahead and make the Kessel for a 3rd deal.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:28 PM
vecens24

I like it from both teams' perspectives. Colorado isn't a bottom dweller and could probably pair Kessel with Stastny for the next ten years and have a great top line. Also, if they can find a way to pick up a good defenseman they could be back in the playoffs next year if they can stay healthy with Wolski and Sakic.

Boston gets the cap relief they're goign to need soon and get a stud prospect who could become a big time NHL scorer. Its a risk for Boston but one thats probably worth taking. Duchene will make an instant impact on defense at least as a third line center with the possibility of moving up to the second line as the season progresses on a wing if the Bruins need scoring and he shows good touch around the net a la Jordan Staal in his first season. Not a bad trade in my view for either team.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Acekicker123

Wow, I'm kinda surprised more people aren't siding with Kessel on this.

21 year old 36 goal scorer? Holy ****.

I think it's fair in terms of value, but oh man, it would be a helluva gamble by Boston.

Acekicker123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Kosikarzzz

Send a message via MSN to Kosikarzzz Send a message via Skype™ to Kosikarzzz
Wonder if Boston were to trade Kessel for the #3 overall

....if they would then trade their own 1st rounder (25th) and the 3rd overall for #1 and pick up Hedman or Traverse.

Now that would be interesting.

Kosikarzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombernack View Post
They'll take the great 2 way prospect with a pair over Kessel.
Completely necessary comment.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I think Boston would need to add a little bit more to the trade, but the main elements make sense.
Give me a break, if the number 3 turns out to be half as good as Kessel, then Boston would have done well.

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:03 PM
WADEugottaBELAKthat
Flynt Flossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rde View Post
Kessel not worth 3rd overall?
No kidding. This is such and HFboards joke. Kessel is already in the NHL, so that means he's not worth anyone not in the NHL. Kessel has the total package resume: WJC stardom, College PPG superiority, and is both an NHL conference finalist as well as a cancer survivor. Ridiculous.

WADEugottaBELAKthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Unless the Avs are able to sign Kessel to a cap friendly long-term deal, it just doesn't make sense for the club. Not to say that Kessel is old, but with the continued lowering of UFA age the Avalanche stand a much higher chance of losing Kessel in several years, whereas in a couple of year our 3rd Overall will still be an RFA. For a rebuilding team (which is what the Avs are, there's not kidding around here) those extra years of retaining a player is extremely important.

The Avs also aren't exactly heavy on cap space here, thanks to the genius cap management by our GMing staff we are more or less in cap hell. I just don't see this happening unless the Avs are able to acquire a high end defensemen.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Inigo Montoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post

Hilarious. Like Colorado would trade away Matt Duchene for Phil Kessel. Duchene being a perfect replacement for Sakic and a lifelong Avs fan vs Kessel who's a good hockey player, but definitely doesn't have the tools that Duchene has shown.

Hmmm...that's a tough one.

One of the dumbest rumours I've heard in a while.
Duchene says on his own NHL Player Profile Card that he is a Montreal Canadiens fan, not necessarily a life long Avalanche fan.

Inigo Montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I like it from both teams' perspectives. Colorado isn't a bottom dweller and could probably pair Kessel with Stastny for the next ten years and have a great top line. Also, if they can find a way to pick up a good defenseman they could be back in the playoffs next year if they can stay healthy with Wolski and Sakic.

Boston gets the cap relief they're goign to need soon and get a stud prospect who could become a big time NHL scorer. Its a risk for Boston but one thats probably worth taking. Duchene will make an instant impact on defense at least as a third line center with the possibility of moving up to the second line as the season progresses on a wing if the Bruins need scoring and he shows good touch around the net a la Jordan Staal in his first season. Not a bad trade in my view for either team.
Agreed, and agreed.

I like Duchene but there is still risk in taking a prospect over a proven 1st line winger/center that is still a very very raw talent.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Goulet17

As some have mentioned, this deal likely doesn't work for a couple of reasons:

(1) The Avs do not have the cap space to sign Kessel to $4 million plus per season at the moment and also sign the other roster players for next season.

(2) Kessel is closer to UFA status down the road than a prospect drafted this season. For a rebuilding team, that is a big consideration.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML Rebuild View Post
Duchene says on his own NHL Player Profile Card that he is a Montreal Canadiens fan
Probably not the guy we want then.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:11 PM
DougGilmour93

So in essense....Kaberle for the 3rd overal is on track. Nice.

It was discussed before that a Kaberle/Kessel swap would be beneficial for both sides and rigth about where Kaberle would be worth...

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:11 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClericMercenaryAgent View Post
Unless the Avs are able to sign Kessel to a cap friendly long-term deal, it just doesn't make sense for the club. Not to say that Kessel is old, but with the continued lowering of UFA age the Avalanche stand a much higher chance of losing Kessel in several years, whereas in a couple of year our 3rd Overall will still be an RFA. For a rebuilding team (which is what the Avs are, there's not kidding around here) those extra years of retaining a player is extremely important.

The Avs also aren't exactly heavy on cap space here, thanks to the genius cap management by our GMing staff we are more or less in cap hell. I just don't see this happening unless the Avs are able to acquire a high end defensemen.
What would be cap friendly to you? I say if he can get a 10 year deal for 50 million thats cap friendly for a guy with Kessel's production and potential to only get better. Can anyone else throw out a number?

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:16 PM
shadow1

It's not that it's a bad deal, but more that it would be in Colorado's best interest to draft the center Duchene.

I know Kessel is a "natural center" (which means absolutely nothing, ladies and gentlemen), but he's scored 40 goals playing RW this year. Stewart and Hejduk shape up to be Colorado's top two RW's moving forward, and there's a big fat hole at center.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I'd cry if the Avalanche dealt their 3rd first round pick in the past 5 drafts.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:18 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML Rebuild View Post
Duchene says on his own NHL Player Profile Card that he is a Montreal Canadiens fan, not necessarily a life long Avalanche fan.
I may have been mistaken with what he was saying at the combine:

"When I was younger I was a Patrick Roy-Joe Sakic-Peter Forsberg fanatic," Duchene said at the NHL scouting combine this weekend at a Toronto airport hotel. "I used to paint my goaltender mask in road hockey like Roy's. That would be pretty cool to play there."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...30381-sun.html

Grand scheme of things, the Avs are getting a very special hockey player. A franchise center with heart and soul.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote