HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel to Colorado for 3rd overall in 2009

Old
06-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

vCash: 500
It only makes sense for Boston, if they are desperate for cap relief, but it sure is a gamble, because you already know what you have in Kessel, who will only get better.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:23 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
I'd cry if the Avalanche dealt their 3rd first round pick in the past 5 drafts.
I would have to agree with you on that one.

I doubt Colorado would have the cap space to sign Kessel even. When Stastny signed his extension it took Sakic's cap space. So if Sakic comes back we will be tight against the cap as it is. Without someone like Clark or Tucker coming back it would be near impossible for Colorado to sign Kessel. That is assuming that Sakic decides to retire even.

cody275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:25 PM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardak View Post
I'm not an expert concerning the Avalanche needs, but i kinda agree with that statement.

With that being said, i think you could flip Kessel to a 3rd team that could provide you with the stud D you mentioned.

But then again, what do i know?
Flip him to Phoenix... They need a proven scorer to play with Doan and the youngsters.

BOS-COL-PHX

Although the Yotes dont have that stud d-man unless you want to take Jovo off their hands

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post

Hilarious. Like Colorado would trade away Matt Duchene for Phil Kessel. Duchene being a perfect replacement for Sakic and a lifelong Avs fan vs Kessel who's a good hockey player, but definitely doesn't have the tools that Duchene has shown.

Hmmm...that's a tough one.

One of the dumbest rumours I've heard in a while.
Would you trade a 21 year old Kessel for anyone of Chris Phillips, Andrei Zyuzin, J.P. Dumont, Patrick Marleau, Olli Jokinen, David Legwand, Brad Stuart, Patrik Stefan, Alexandr Svitov, Nathan Horton, Cam Barker, Jack Johnson, Jordon Staal, or Erik Johnson? All of them were top 3 draft picks from 96-06. There are others that I could have added, but didnt want to turn this into a debate about who's better.
Just saying no matter how much "potential" there is to be a solid NHL'er, there's also the "potential" to be average, or bust in the NHL.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:52 PM
LeafsGetTavares*

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I wonder who the Bruins are looking at? Is there any chance they would want Kane or MPS over Duchene?
Maybe to the leafs for a player like Kaberle and Grabovski?

LeafsGetTavares* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 04:55 PM
indczn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
Flip him to Phoenix... They need a proven scorer to play with Doan and the youngsters.

BOS-COL-PHX

Although the Yotes dont have that stud d-man unless you want to take Jovo off their hands
I'd love to have kessel on phoenix. He is the goal scoring winger we need, young enough. Hes fits what we are trying to do, and at the point we are. However.... can we find the money to pay him?

indczn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:02 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Would you trade a 21 year old Kessel for anyone of Chris Phillips, Andrei Zyuzin, J.P. Dumont, Patrick Marleau, Olli Jokinen, David Legwand, Brad Stuart, Patrik Stefan, Alexandr Svitov, Nathan Horton, Cam Barker, Jack Johnson, Jordon Staal, or Erik Johnson? All of them were top 3 draft picks from 96-06. There are others that I could have added, but didnt want to turn this into a debate about who's better.
Just saying no matter how much "potential" there is to be a solid NHL'er, there's also the "potential" to be average, or bust in the NHL.
Would you trade Kessel for Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Eric Staal, Toews, Kane, Nash, or Kovalchuk?

God that was a terrible argument you tried to make. Its about the potential that comes from being able to draft one of those studs. Because there is not one of those players I wouldnt trade straight up for Kessel. And that's only going back to 2000. If the Bruins think Duchene is goign to be on par with Toews and Kane (the worst players of that group in my view) they have to pull the trigger because they will be out of cap trouble for the next 3 years and they will be getting a player better than Kessel. It just all depends on how highly the Bruins value Duchene. And thats saying the Avs accept this trade, which I think they probably should because of how good Kessel is and how young he is. Its a risk for Boston but they should take it if they value Duchene as being a great player.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504Heater View Post

Hilarious. Like Colorado would trade away Matt Duchene for Phil Kessel. Duchene being a perfect replacement for Sakic and a lifelong Avs fan vs Kessel who's a good hockey player, but definitely doesn't have the tools that Duchene has shown.

Hmmm...that's a tough one.

One of the dumbest rumours I've heard in a while.
Duchene could EASILY be the next David Legwand or Stephan Weiss.

On the other hand, Kessel is already a star, and will only get better. A conservative estimate has him scoring 45 goals a year.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:06 PM
C77

Well at least this deal would give the B's room to sign Koivu

Remember he was Julien's captain and he has chemistry with Ryder

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Again, I've watched this kid long enough to know that he's going to be something special. The year Phillips was drafted was a bad draft year - I'm not saying Philly is a bad player, but it's not your typical number one overall.

I would trade Kessel for Erik Johnson so quick it would make your head spin though.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:12 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Would you trade Kessel for Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Eric Staal, Toews, Kane, Nash, or Kovalchuk?

God that was a terrible argument you tried to make. Its about the potential that comes from being able to draft one of those studs. Because there is not one of those players I wouldnt trade straight up for Kessel. And that's only going back to 2000. If the Bruins think Duchene is goign to be on par with Toews and Kane (the worst players of that group in my view) they have to pull the trigger because they will be out of cap trouble for the next 3 years and they will be getting a player better than Kessel. It just all depends on how highly the Bruins value Duchene. And thats saying the Avs accept this trade, which I think they probably should because of how good Kessel is and how young he is. Its a risk for Boston but they should take it if they value Duchene as being a great player.
It really was not that bad an argument. The average far outweigh the stars, even in the top 5. Furthermore, most of the players on your list were a clear cut above where Duchene is now, and really were obvious stars in the making (Crosby, Kovalchuk, Malkin, Ovechkin).

The fact is, there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding Duchene; the same cannot be said for Ovechkin and Crosby at the time of the draft. He is more akin to a Kane, Staal, Nash, or Toews, but could equally turn out to be like Stephan Weiss or David Legwand.

The point the guy was making was that a sure thing like Kessel is more valuable than a coin toss like Duchene. I think he is right.

Old
06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post

Um, none of the guys you listed were drafted later then the 2nd pick... the pick is question is the 3rd. FAIL.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Beesfan

Also, this deal just doesn't make much sense to me. The Bruins don't need another center prospect, but that is all that is available at 3rd overall. They would be better off dealing Kessel for an established young defenseman, or a great defensive prospect (Pietrangelo + 2nd maybe?).

Old
06-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Ducksforcup

I'd do that deal if I were the Avs without much thought.

Ducksforcup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:23 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
So, the Av's wouldn't trade an unknown for...

A guy who averaged a goal every other game last year while playing through a torn rotator cuff and labrum for 3 weeks?

A guy who with the same said injury led his team in play-off goals?

A guy who has scored 5 play-off goals in games where his team has faced elimination?

A guy who came back from cancer and mono early?

A guy who has bought into the system and plays defense to the best of his ability?

A guy who was benched, in the play-offs, didn't whine and has 45 goals in his past 85 games since said benching?

WBC8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
So, the Av's wouldn't trade an unknown for...

A guy who averaged a goal every other game last year while playing through a torn rotator cuff and labrum for 3 weeks?
A guy who with the same said injury led his team in play-off goals?

A guy who has scored 5 play-off goals in games where his team has faced elimination?

A guy who came back from cancer and mono early?

A guy who has bought into the system and plays defense to the best of his ability?

A guy who was benched, in the play-offs, didn't whine and has 45 goals in his past 85 games since said benching?
Bolded are your answers why.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
I wonder who the Bruins are looking at? Is there any chance they would want Kane or MPS over Duchene?
Duchene...

as good as Kane and MPS are, they are not even in the same class as Duchene.

The top 3 will be:

Tavares
Hedman
Duchene

i'd bet any amount of money its those 3 (it should be that order - but who knows)

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
1. Ok, fine. He has a shoulder injury. It's not a knee injury, it's not a head injury. There is no reason to think he won't be 100 percent next year. I've actually never heard of a recurring shoulder problem with a hockey player. If one is out there it is the exception.

2. The guy's post discussed his play AFTER he was benched. For an entire year plus since that time, he has been nothing less than a star. Oh, and he is still 21 years old. The same age that Parise was posting less than half a point a game in the NHL.

Old
06-03-2009, 05:39 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Kessel on Statsny's wing, that would be pretty awesome.

HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstarks View Post
Per CKAC 730 am in Montreal, the Boston Bruins are thinking about sending Phil Kessel to the Avalanche for the 3rd overall pick in 2009.

Thoughts?

In my opinion, this trade makes a lot of sense to me. Colorado is removing all risk that a player like Matt Duchene will not pan out and are getting a potential 40+ goal scorer for a long period of time. Boston makes this deal because they want to add to their already promising prospect pool thus extending their chance to remain a strong organization for a very long period of time. Also, they might want to make some cap room for the remaining players and I can clearly see Kessel getting an offer this off season as he is an RFA.
I don't know that the Avs would do this. Don't get me wrong, Kessel is a great player but Duchene would be a #1 pick in most drafts from what I read about him. I think if the pick could be had for that cheap, I think there would be 10 other teams working the phones.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

Quote:
Young players who get benched are obvious busts. You guys want Blake Wheeler, too? He was benched, so it's clear he won't amount to anything.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Avs have cap trouble, so they're not moving this pick for someone whos asking for a raise.

A terrible rumour. Sure, the basis as far as player for player is decent for both sides, but the minor details will prevent this type of thing from going down.

Plus with the pending retirement of Joe, the Avs need another great 1-2 punch down the middle...Duchene is that guy along with Stastny.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
shadow1

I hate how everyone says "people overrate draft picks". Guess what morons, where in the hell do you think the rest of these good players came from?

If 3rd overall draft picks weren't worth a very high value, then why would Boston be rumored to trading their 21 year old 40 goal scorer for it?

This whole thread is Avs fans trying to say we want our franchise center, while Boston fans try to shove down our throat how awesome Kessel is. We get it. He's an awesome #1 RW. But we (mostly) still want our center with a higher ceiling. Colorado is where it is right now because they've traded away their first round pick so many times (to be exact, Colorado has traded their first round pick away 4 times since winning the 2001 cup).

So, no.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Goulet17

I didn't realize the extent of Kessel's shoulder injury. A torn labrum and rotator cuff?

That is pretty serious.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Infliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnstarks View Post
Per CKAC 730 am in Montreal, the Boston Bruins are thinking about sending Phil Kessel to the Avalanche for the 3rd overall pick in 2009.

Thoughts?

In my opinion, this trade makes a lot of sense to me. Colorado is removing all risk that a player like Matt Duchene will not pan out and are getting a potential 40+ goal scorer for a long period of time. Boston makes this deal because they want to add to their already promising prospect pool thus extending their chance to remain a strong organization for a very long period of time. Also, they might want to make some cap room for the remaining players and I can clearly see Kessel getting an offer this off season as he is an RFA.
That's a real tough one. Kessel remains an extremely talented and promising young star, and if it wasn't for the fact that he's an RFA and offer sheets are becoming more prominent, it would be a better deal for Colorado. If the Bruins can squeeze out a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd, or maybe a 1st and a player like Scott Hannan or Marek Svatos for Kessel and a 3rd.. I donno, just brainstorming. One thing that I know, being a Montreal native, is that the media tends to blow things way out of proportion and a lot of the time they make ***** up, so until its proven they're having talks, I gotta take this info with a grain of salt.

Infliction is offline   Reply With Quote