HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kessel to Colorado for 3rd overall in 2009

Old
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
CloutierForVezina

vCash: 500
People comparing anyone in this draft class to Ovechkin, Crosby or Malkin should pinch themselves because they are dreaming. All 3 of them are generational talents and that doesn't mean every #1 overall will come even close to that. Kessel is the caliber of player that you hope Duchene will become. A 21 year old capable of scoring 40 goals in a full season is an incredibly valuable comodity. Now, that doesn't mean you automatically should do the trade. Kessel is due for a raise (Which is the only reason boston wants to trade him) and if the Avs can't afford him that's one thing, but to say that he's a sure thing...

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Infliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyfan View Post
Avs have cap trouble, so they're not moving this pick for someone whos asking for a raise.

A terrible rumour. Sure, the basis as far as player for player is decent for both sides, but the minor details will prevent this type of thing from going down.

Plus with the pending retirement of Joe, the Avs need another great 1-2 punch down the middle...Duchene is that guy along with Stastny.

Phil Kessel is a center as well.. I cant believe you'd rather Duchene over Kessel.. Kessel will put up 40 goals next year if not more, whereas Duchene will take at least 2 years to start having an impact, and 3 or 4 to start realizing his full potential. I hear you as far as the cap issues go, Kessel will probably get a 2-3 year deal worth somewhere in the 4-5 million range, but if they were to trade a player like Hannan or Svatos like I mentioned in my other post, would it not free up enough room? I really don't know their cap situation, let me know what it is.

Infliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Infliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
People comparing anyone in this draft class to Ovechkin, Crosby or Malkin should pinch themselves because they are dreaming. All 3 of them are generational talents and that doesn't mean every #1 overall will come even close to that. Kessel is the caliber of player that you hope Duchene will become. A 21 year old capable of scoring 40 goals in a full season is an incredibly valuable comodity. Now, that doesn't mean you automatically should do the trade. Kessel is due for a raise (Which is the only reason boston wants to trade him) and if the Avs can't afford him that's one thing, but to say that he's a sure thing...

Thank you

Old
06-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Vitto79

Kessel with the forward group in Colorado would be pretty sick

I imagine Sakic calls it quits this year so their is the money

PLUS I bet Hejduk is moved to shake things up. Thats 4 million and someone will take him

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:13 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

no, we're still screwed cap wise this year even if sakic calls it quits

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
no, we're still screwed cap wise this year even if sakic calls it quits
I just edited my post cause i'm a geek

How about moving Hejduk. 1 year left and the Avs need to shake things up and clear space

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:15 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infliction View Post
Phil Kessel is a center as well.. I cant believe you'd rather Duchene over Kessel.. Kessel will put up 40 goals next year if not more, whereas Duchene will take at least 2 years to start having an impact, and 3 or 4 to start realizing his full potential. I hear you as far as the cap issues go, Kessel will probably get a 2-3 year deal worth somewhere in the 4-5 million range, but if they were to trade a player like Hannan or Svatos like I mentioned in my other post, would it not free up enough room? I really don't know their cap situation, let me know what it is.
The basics are that the Avs are almost right up against the cap as it is...and are still in need of a couple goalies and a couple forwards...plus the fact that the cap is set to go down in the next couple of years, so that doesnt help either.

As for Kessel, like i said before, he's a great talent. He's got great speed, hands, dangles and is clutch, but Duchene is a potential franchise player. Kessel isn't. If Duchene could one day be a 30ish goal man, 75+ points and a solid two way game, i'd take that over a flashy 40ish goal scorer any day. That's my opinion, agree or not.

Right now the Avs are trying to rebuild, they need stability, and at this point i think if he pans out, Duchene has more potential to carry a team than Kessel ever will.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:16 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
I just edited my post cause i'm a geek

How about moving Hejduk. 1 year left and the Avs need to shake things up and clear space
pretty sure Hejduk doesn't want to leave Denver (and has a NTC)

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:26 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:

PLUS I bet Hejduk is moved to shake things up.
Thats 4 million and someone will take him
I'll take the 3rd overall pick and Hejduk's 59 points playing with centers like Wolski and Galiadi over Kessel's 60 points playing with one of the best play making centers in the NHL.

If he comes to Colorado, his production is going to drop. Big time. Stastny, assuming he stays healthy and is paired with Kessel, still isn't Savard.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:27 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:

PLUS I bet Hejduk is moved to shake things up. Thats 4 million and someone will take him
Hejduk has a NTC and is comfortable in Colorado.

Old
06-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Infliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyfan View Post
The basics are that the Avs are almost right up against the cap as it is...and are still in need of a couple goalies and a couple forwards...plus the fact that the cap is set to go down in the next couple of years, so that doesnt help either.

As for Kessel, like i said before, he's a great talent. He's got great speed, hands, dangles and is clutch, but Duchene is a potential franchise player. Kessel isn't. If Duchene could one day be a 30ish goal man, 75+ points and a solid two way game, i'd take that over a flashy 40ish goal scorer any day. That's my opinion, agree or not.

Right now the Avs are trying to rebuild, they need stability, and at this point i think if he pans out, Duchene has more potential to carry a team than Kessel ever will.
I have to disagree, I think Kessel could be the face of a franchise. He's still young keep in mind, as the years go on I think he will gain some leadership qualities. I also believe he has the potential to be a 90 point player. But anyways, you have your opinion I have mine.

Old
06-03-2009, 05:28 PM
highoffglass
Cheers!

Matt Duchene>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Phil Kessel

highoffglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:33 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfanatic16 View Post

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:44 PM
AvalancheRy

If they trade the 3rd overall for anything other than a goalie or a Dman I will be really upset. It would really make, what was already a tough season, even worse. These aren't the Avs of old anymore, they can't just trade picks like they grow on trees. For once I want this team to just have draft! And yes I am pleading because I could see this team trading the pick!

AvalancheRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:56 PM
boredmale

Quote:
MD has the potential to be better then Kessel, but until he scores 30 goals in the NHL it's pretty tought to say that now. Not sure what COL should do, do you swing for the fences with MD or go for the solid double in Kessel.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 05:57 PM
cody275
HFBoards Sponsor

Colorado can not afford Kessel. It is that simple. Even if Sakic retires they still don't have enough money to sign Kessel. Hejduk, Foote, and Smyth would probably all refuse to waive their NTC's since they like it in Colorado. They won't get Liles to since they just resigned him and he is arguably our best Defenseman. So it comes down to getting rid of players like Wolski, Svatos, Clark, Salei, and Hannan.

I would assume Boston couldn't afford to take Hannan or 2 of the others because if they could then they would have enough to resign Kessel.

Colorado will keep the pick, they feel Duchene is the the real deal and he will be signed to an ELC which they can afford for now.

I don't see them as good trading partners, they are both in some cap dificulties. Unless it is a minor swap or low contract players, I truthfully can't see them making a deal. They are both in to much of cap troubles to afford to take on any large contracts or people demanding raises.

cody275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:00 PM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
How can all three be generational talent? A generational talent is someone who is the best in their generation (~10-15 years). There can't be three generational talents in one generation.

Colorado only does this if they can send salary back or have an agreement in principle with Kessel.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Only at HF - where guys with potential are worth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> more than 21 YO's who are actually producing at an incredibly high level ALREADY.

And I think that Duchesne is going to be a very good player. Of course, at draft time I thought that Paul Mara and Brad Struart were both going to be #1 d-men as well! People seem to forget that a bunch of highly drafted players didn't start out as busts - people were REALLY excited to draft them early in the 1st round. I'm not saying that Duchesne is going to be a bust, but odds are that at least one (if not two or more) of the top 7 in this years draft aren't going to justify all the pre-draft hype.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:04 PM
FutureConsiderations

No, sorry, this just doesn't make sense. Even if they were to flip the 3rd for a defenseman, they'd be giving it to a team that needs a guy like Duchene, and if they need Duchene they need Kessel.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

sounds like a fair trade IMO, but there is one media you cant trust more than the toronto media, and thats the french media..

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
I hate how everyone says "people overrate draft picks". Guess what morons, where in the hell do you think the rest of these good players came from?

If 3rd overall draft picks weren't worth a very high value, then why would Boston be rumored to trading their 21 year old 40 goal scorer for it?

This whole thread is Avs fans trying to say we want our franchise center, while Boston fans try to shove down our throat how awesome Kessel is. We get it. He's an awesome #1 RW. But we (mostly) still want our center with a higher ceiling. Colorado is where it is right now because they've traded away their first round pick so many times (to be exact, Colorado has traded their first round pick away 4 times since winning the 2001 cup).

So, no.
Finally, I was waiting for some Colorado fans to get in on this. I was stunned by the amount of people who would pull the trigger on a Duchene for Kessel deal.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Only at HF - where guys with potential are worth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> more than 21 YO's who are actually producing at an incredibly high level ALREADY.
Forget the rest of what you said, only at HF is anything worth that many >'s more than something else.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:12 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Just a thought here:

Boston really is low on the defensive depth within the organization and have drafted forwards recently in the first round (Colborne, Hamill, Kessel) as well as found good forwards in Lucic, Wheeler, and Krejci.
It would make sense to me that if this deal were to occur as is, the Bruins would trade the 3rd overall, the 25th overall, and whatever else they would need to Tampa for the 2nd overall pick and draft Hedman. Would make alot of sense.

Just some armchair GMing.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:16 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanker View Post
How can all three be generational talent? A generational talent is someone who is the best in their generation (~10-15 years). There can't be three generational talents in one generation.

Colorado only does this if they can send salary back or have an agreement in principle with Kessel.
Generational talent means someone who is a step above what is considered elite in the league. Hossa, Heatley, Spezza, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Carter, Parise... all these players are elite. None of them are generational.

By your incredibly literal definition of the term, one of Gretzky and Lemieux was not a generational talent. Mind telling me which one?

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Unproven 17 year old rookie>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>36 goal scoring 21 year old?

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote