HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Coyotes move, do we move to the Western Conference?

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

vCash: 500
If the Coyotes move, do we move to the Western Conference?

Not sure if you have heard, but it appears as if the Coyotes are going to be moved...and the utterly evil Jim Balsillie is right in the mix looking to place them in Southern Ontario.

IF that happens, you have to assume the NHL is going to want to keep Ottawa, Montreal, Coyotes, and Toronto in the same division.

So who would move out west?

Atlanta and Pittsburgh are the two westernmost teams in the Conference....and I doubt they want to move Pittsburgh out of the Atlantic division.

So, if we move to the West. We would obviously be moved into the Central Division.

Assuming St. Louis gets moved to a different division....we would be going head to head with Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, and Columbus on a regular basis. 1 powerhouse, 1 young dynasty in the making, and two teams that are quite competitive year in and year out. Ugh.

Plus, we have to travel all over Gods Green Earth in the Western Conference, you think our 1 West Coast road trip every year was bad....just wait until we do it every other week. Oh, and no Crosby or Ovechkin on a regular basis either.

Boo Baslillie....keep us in the Eastern Conference!!!

Old
05-05-2009, 08:33 PM
StevenintheATL

They could just do some swapping within the Western Conference. The Leafs did spend some time in the Western Conference before moving to the Eastern Conference for the 1998-99 season (This was mainly because when the conferences and divisions took geographical names, the teams did not move.), so having a Toronto team in the Central Division may not be out of the question. Then the question is what teams gets moved? Here is probably the simple solution:

Central:

Detroit
Chicago
Columbus
Nashville
Toronto New Team

Pacific:

Dallas
St. Louis
Anaheim
L.A.
San Jose

Old
05-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Koval17

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Not sure if you have heard, but it appears as if the Coyotes are going to be moved...and the utterly evil Jim Balsillie is right in the mix looking to place them in Southern Ontario.

IF that happens, you have to assume the NHL is going to want to keep Ottawa, Montreal, Coyotes, and Toronto in the same division.

So who would move out west?

Atlanta and Pittsburgh are the two westernmost teams in the Conference....and I doubt they want to move Pittsburgh out of the Atlantic division.

So, if we move to the West. We would obviously be moved into the Central Division.

Assuming St. Louis gets moved to a different division....we would be going head to head with Detroit, Chicago, Nashville, and Columbus on a regular basis. 1 powerhouse, 1 young dynasty in the making, and two teams that are quite competitive year in and year out. Ugh.

Plus, we have to travel all over Gods Green Earth in the Western Conference, you think our 1 West Coast road trip every year was bad....just wait until we do it every other week. Oh, and no Crosby or Ovechkin on a regular basis either.

Boo Baslillie....keep us in the Eastern Conference!!!
well 1, we will prob fold soon, we suck, 2, how is jim balsili evil? cuzz he wants another team in canada? 60% of the revenue from the nhl is from the canadian teams, hockey is a canadian sport and canada deserves more than 6 teams... im from hamitlon and they "could" be moving here, which would be awesome

Last edited by btn: 05-05-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Flaming
Old
05-05-2009, 08:47 PM
kracker1

Come on, we live in a state with an Atlantic Ocean beach! WE should not be in the Western Conference. Really dumb idea...not that that would stop the ollder clubs from demanding it.

If that happens, I'll be seeing a lot less live Thrashers games, for sure.

Old
05-05-2009, 09:58 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koval17 View Post
well 1, we will prob fold soon, we suck, 2, how is jim balsili evil? cuzz he wants another team in canada? 60% of the revenue from the nhl is from the canadian teams, hockey is a canadian sport and canada deserves more than 6 teams... im from hamitlon and they "could" be moving here, which would be awesome
Baslillie is evil for several reasons. Mainly I dislike him because at the same time he was promising to work with the Predators, and that he did not want to move them provided they met the attendance guidelines....at the very same time he was selling season tickets in Hamilton, ON for $1000 a pop.

That is evil. He basically lied to the NHL Board of Governors regarding him wanting to move the team first and foremost, along with all the people in Nashville.

In regards to revenue from Canada....considering that we just lost a season to a lockout...because several Canadian hockey teams were concerned with being able to stay afloat. I openly question how much stronger the Canadian market is for hockey with the lone exception of a 2nd team in Toronto.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Unfortunately, I think Atlanta would move if true about another Ontario team.

Old
05-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Koval17

Quote:
Baslillie is evil for several reasons. Mainly I dislike him because at the same time he was promising to work with the Predators, and that he did not want to move them provided they met the attendance guidelines....at the very same time he was selling season tickets in Hamilton, ON for $1000 a pop.

That is evil. He basically lied to the NHL Board of Governors regarding him wanting to move the team first and foremost, along with all the people in Nashville.

In regards to revenue from Canada....considering that we just lost a season to a lockout...because several Canadian hockey teams were concerned with being able to stay afloat. I openly question how much stronger the Canadian market is for hockey with the lone exception of a 2nd team in Toronto.
he wasnt selling tickets, he let people "preorder" tickets, so if they were to move to hamitlon, i think i know, I AM FROM HAMILTON

Old
05-05-2009, 11:14 PM
cws
...in the drink

Quote:
Like it or not, nowadays it's more of a business. No people, no place deserves anything. In any sport frankly, regardless of location and/or history.

It's all about viability. Can a franchise catch on and grow and produce revenue in whatever location they're moved to? Obviously another team in Ontario would instantly get tons of fan support, and likely a good bit of revenue (as long as the business structure of said franchise was stable). Ottawa is a good example of a bad model for Canadian teams, but they got bailed out fortunately.

I know this little nugget of another team in Ontario and/or around the Toronto area has been around for a bit. And I have no doubt of the instant support that team would get. But it's still a really long shot. Is there an NHL-ready arena in those parts, and how much weight will the Leafs throw at this to try and block it (cause you know they sure as hell don't want another team that close)? There are a ton of issues to be resolved there, and that's if Baslillie can buy a team AND get NHL approval to move it.

Way too many ifs. See if he can actually make the purchase and get approval to move before thinking about the other mountains that will need to be climbed.

Old
05-05-2009, 11:45 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
he wasnt selling tickets, he let people "preorder" tickets, so if they were to move to hamitlon, i think i know, I AM FROM HAMILTON
Yes, at the very same time he was telling the NHL BOG and the fans of Nashville he was committed to keeping the team in Nashville.

Perhaps if you are the other woman, adultery is OK with you. It still doesn't change the nature of what adultery is.

Old
05-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Lux Aurumque*

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened that way.

Old
05-06-2009, 12:25 AM
blankspace6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Unfortunately, I think Atlanta would move if true about another Ontario team.
Move? or move conferences?
The latter is 10x more likely to happen than the former.

Old
05-06-2009, 01:23 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Source?

edit: If you or your company own a Blackberry, you're to blame.

Old
05-06-2009, 04:22 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankspace6 View Post
Move? or move conferences?
The latter is 10x more likely to happen than the former.
I meant move conferences.

Old
05-06-2009, 05:05 AM
teme

NHL might finaly move to three conference setup too, has been discussed before, but that would mean a new playoff format. Simplest would be to just mix conferences from round one.

Old
05-06-2009, 07:40 AM
KevFist
is best pony

....OR bring back the Campbell and Prince of Wales Conferences and do things the way the NFL and MLB do....

Old
05-06-2009, 09:39 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:

'I want to keep the team in Nashville, and am staunchly committed to it... oh, but if by some infinitely small chance the team misses its attendance marks and I can wriggle it out of its lease then franchise must unfortunately be relocated to my hometown. Luckily we'll have the season ticket holders lined up already in the event of such a tragedy.'

What a great way to go into a business venture, hoping for it to fail so you can exploit its corpse. Just because the silly little man wants to bring an NHL team to you doesn't mean he's worth respecting.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Boognish

Won't happen. Leafs will block any move into S Ontario.

Old
05-06-2009, 11:17 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
In short, yes. We move west.

Atlanta is the westernmost team in the NHL not in the Western conference.

I can see Atlanta and the new team in the Central division, and Columbus moves east -- likely to the SE div. I say this because, let's face it, neither of Pit, Phi, or NJ will move "south." The NY teams are stuck together, like it or not, unless NYI moves to KC (unlikely).

Out west, I see the Pacific gaining Vancouver, and the NW gaining St. Louis.

Final placement:

Pacific
-------
Anaheim
San Jose
Vancouver
Los Angeles
Dallas

Northwest
------------
Calgary
Edmonton
Minnesota
St. Louis
Colorado

Central
---------
Detroit
Atlanta
Chicago
Nashville
Hamilton/KW/whatever

Southeast
------------
Columbus
Tampa Bay
Florida
Carolina
Washington

Atlantic
---------
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers

Northeast
------------
Boston
Toronto
Montreal
Buffalo
Ottawa

Old
05-06-2009, 11:38 AM
fatschoonerrat

I think the five divisions, six teams per division scenario would work. Check it out:

Atlantic: PHI, NJ, NYR, NYI, PIT, BOS
Southeast: ATL, NAS, FLA, TBL, CAR, WAS
North: TOR, BUF, HAM, MTL, OTT, DET
Central: CHI, MIN, CBJ, STL, COL, DAL
Pacific: VAN, EDM, CAL, LAK, SJS, ANA

Playoffs:

Top two teams from each division make playoffs (10) -- makes division more important.
Six more wild-card teams picked.

16-team playoff format like normal but no east-west bracket, seeds based entirely on record.

I like it!

Old
05-06-2009, 02:54 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatschoonerrat View Post
I think the five divisions, six teams per division scenario would work. Check it out:

Playoffs:

Top two teams from each division make playoffs (10) -- makes division more important.
Six more wild-card teams picked.

16-team playoff format like normal but no east-west bracket, seeds based entirely on record.

I like it!
That would indeed work, 16 teams would still make the playoffs. I'd have to think about it as to how the seeding and subsequent rounds would work in practice.

I don't think they would go for it, though. Every sport has their opposing leagues today:
East vs West
AFC vs NFC
American vs National

Doing away with your champion facing the opposing group's champion sort of takes the "us vs them" aspect out of the equation.

This would be a good discussion to have if the Yotes (and the Thrash) do move. Geee, will it be the Hamilton Coyotes?

Last edited by kracker1: 05-06-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old
05-06-2009, 03:15 PM
The Sneak

Quote:

Nice start but I'd tweak it a bit. Put the Caps in the Atlantic to rekindle the Patrick Division rivalries. Pitts and Philly fans would appreciate that. Replace the Bostons

Take the Bruins and drop them into the North as there is no way you should take the B's from the Habs and Sabres. Clip the Wings

Drop Detroit unto the Central to bring back the Norris rivalries. Replace the Stars

Put the Stars in the Southeast. Eff them for leaving Minnesota and employing that giant homo, Modano, for so long.

Old
05-06-2009, 05:17 PM
StevenintheATL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish View Post
Won't happen. Leafs will block any move into S Ontario.
If MLSE is thrown enough money their way, they'll relent and allow a team in the area.

Old
05-06-2009, 06:02 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
Nice start but I'd tweak it a bit. Put the Caps in the Atlantic to rekindle the Patrick Division rivalries. Pitts and Philly fans would appreciate that. Replace the Bostons

Take the Bruins and drop them into the North as there is no way you should take the B's from the Habs and Sabres. Clip the Wings

Drop Detroit unto the Central to bring back the Norris rivalries. Replace the Stars

Put the Stars in the Southeast. Eff them for leaving Minnesota and employing that giant homo, Modano, for so long.
Yep, I think you're right. I mocked it up on a map in Photoshop:

Makes more sense geographically than any other scheme I've ever heard of. But the whole five division/no conference thing works against it.

What if each division had two rival divisions that would be sort of a pseudo-conference for scheduling, but they would rotate, like so:

Southeast: Atlantic and Central
Atlantic: Southeast and North
North: Atlantic and Pacific (b/c of Canadian matchups)
Central: Southeast and Pacific
Pacific: North and Central

Then playoffs, you do the two per division plus six wildcard, or five division champs plus ten wildcards. Reseed every round. No conferences.

Yeah, way too much time on my hands. Work sucked today. This was more fun.

Last edited by fatschoonerrat: 05-06-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old
05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
kracker1

Nice map. Ya know, when the ECHL has a team in Alaska, anything is possible.

The other way is to go to the non-geographical divisions. Wasn't that they way it was with the Wales and Campbell Conferences? Or not?

Last edited by kracker1: 05-06-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old
05-06-2009, 11:57 PM
vofty

Quote:
Yep, I think you're right. I mocked it up on a map in Photoshop:

Hands down the best realignment I have seen

Closed Thread