HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cbj - Was

Old
06-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Selanne08*

vCash: 500
Cbj - Was

Cbj:
Lepisto
24th overall

Was:
16th overall

Columbus gets a interesting offensive d-man who likely wont see much time with Washington. He had a good showing when he was allowed to play this year but too much D-man depth has him stuck in the ahl.

edit: added his link for those who dont recognize him.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/sami_lepisto

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:31 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Sounds like a deal to me.

End of Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 11:48 PM
El Maestro

Lepisto and a 2nd maybe, but not him and a first for another first. I would have say yes if it was a top 10 draft pick, but there's not much difference between the 16th and the 24th.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 03:19 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

I hope it doesn't happen, it would be too difficult to remember which Columbus guy is Lepisto and which is Sestito.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

As a Columbus fan, I like the concept of the deal (Washington moves up, while Columbus drops down and gains a puck-moving defenseman). With the Jackets having dealt their second-round pick in this year's draft in the Vermette deal, this type of move would offset that loss. Good idea from the OP; I hope something like this happens.

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post
Lepisto and a 2nd maybe, but not him and a first for another first. I would have say yes if it was a top 10 draft pick, but there's not much difference between the 16th and the 24th.
It's significant enough to warrant consideration, especially if there's a player in particular that they're interested in that maybe falls a bit. Lepisto's window with the Caps seems to be closing, if it hasn't already. Might as well move him if that's the case and get something of value in return.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 07:00 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It's significant enough to warrant consideration, especially if there's a player in particular that they're interested in that maybe falls a bit. Lepisto's window with the Caps seems to be closing, if it hasn't already. Might as well move him if that's the case and get something of value in return.
Agreed. Sami is a promising puck mover caught in a logjam with a team with a young NHL defense and two 1st round pick defensemen in the last two drafts who are being fast-tracked.

While moving up 8 spots isn't a ton, if there's a player we liked, I'd be for this trade.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Ludicrous Speed

It would depend on who is available, but I would probably do it just for the fact that at least one of Rundblad, de Haan, Elliot, Palmieri, or Erixon would still be there.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 10:23 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

I still think Sami can be a very effective NHL'er...just not sure it's going to be in DC. So the trade makes sense to me.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 10:32 AM
txpd

Lepisto is an expensive cost for a 8 position move in the middle of the first round. The only way this happens is if there is a prize to be gotten at 16. The Caps gave Eminger and a 3rd to move up and pick Carlson. I would think an NHL ready prospect and a 1st is giving up more than Eminger and a 3rd.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 10:59 AM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Lepisto is an expensive cost for a 8 position move in the middle of the first round. The only way this happens is if there is a prize to be gotten at 16. The Caps gave Eminger and a 3rd to move up and pick Carlson. I would think an NHL ready prospect and a 1st is giving up more than Eminger and a 3rd.
If Iím Columbus, Iím putting the #16 pick on the table to bring in a d-man that goes to #1 on my depth-chart, with Tyutin going to #2, the incumbent #2 dropping to the 2nd-pairing, the incumbent #4 dropping to the 3rd-pairing, etc.

In addition to the 16th pick, Columbus has depth at forward and defence to do a 3-for-1 trade. I think they need to focus on getting proven quality back.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by projexns View Post
If Iím Columbus, Iím putting the #16 pick on the table to bring in a d-man that goes to #1 on my depth-chart, with Tyutin going to #2, the incumbent #2 dropping to the 2nd-pairing, the incumbent #4 dropping to the 3rd-pairing, etc.

In addition to the 16th pick, Columbus has depth at forward and defence to do a 3-for-1 trade. I think they need to focus on getting proven quality back.
Technically we can't afford to trade out of the first round because we need the regular influx of development players. We're never going to be a high-salary team.

I rather like the idea presented here. It looks like it'd be similar to us, say, trading Mayorov to move up in some hypothetical future.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 11:49 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Technically we can't afford to trade out of the first round because we need the regular influx of development players. We're never going to be a high-salary team.

I rather like the idea presented here. It looks like it'd be similar to us, say, trading Mayorov to move up in some hypothetical future.
Exactly. Don't expect Columbus to move out of the first round entirely for the reason you state...unless it's a no-brainer can't-turn-down proposal.. and that is unlikely.

Trading down in the first to pick up an assest definitely makes some sense. I still like the idea of moving down with the Islanders and grabbing one of their early 2nds.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:33 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Columbus may not be a high salary TEAM, but it is still going to need a few high-salaried INDIVIDUALS to provide the foundations of the team. I take it the Jackets are interested in retaining the services of Rick Nash, even though he will have a high salary.

A true # 1 d-man and #1 goaltender are also essential, and the team will have to pony up the $$$ís.

The age of your seven Top-Six forwards are: Huselius (30), Umberger (27), Vermette (26), Nash (25), Brassard (21), Voracek (19), and Filatov (19)

The Jackets current blue-line is:

1. Tyutin
2. Commodore
3. Hejda
4. Klesla
5. Methot
6. Russell
7. Tollefson

The Jackets have finally arrived, and with a hot rookie goalie to boot, I think they can well afford to sit out the 1st-round for the first time in franchise history IF it could land them a #1 d-man. Itís their one glaring need.

I donít see adding Lepisto to the bottom half of your blue-line depth-chart as being a critical need at all.

projexns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:50 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
Cbj:
Lepisto
24th overall

Was:
16th overall

Columbus gets a interesting offensive d-man who likely wont see much time with Washington. He had a good showing when he was allowed to play this year but too much D-man depth has him stuck in the ahl.

edit: added his link for those who dont recognize him.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/sami_lepisto
that is true the last thing washington needs is another offensive defensmen lepisto's good but you know

um is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 04:18 PM
MartinFC

Send a message via ICQ to MartinFC
I donīt like Lepisto. He is not a NHLer now and he is 25 yrs old

MartinFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinFC View Post
I donīt like Lepisto. He is not a NHLer now and he is 25 yrs old
Late bloomer.

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Alex28*

As a Caps fan I'd do it, simply because McPhee isn't gonna give Lepisto the chance he deserves. With a year of NHL experience under his belt Lepisto is a gonna be a top 4 puck mover. Might as well watch him prosper somewhere else.

Not to mention this deal gives us a higher chance of getting Josefsson.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
that is true the last thing washington needs is another offensive defensmen lepisto's good but you know
And our offensive defenseman are Green and...

exactly.

We're absolutely starved for a guy like Streit, Kubina or Kaberle on the 2nd pairing. Moreso than for a stay at home defenseman. Moreso, imo, than for a 2nd line center (since Nylander is not going anywhere). Other than Green we have no one who can competently move the puck. The more puck movers you have the less energy forwards spend on transition, the more energy they can subsequently spend on scoring. That's how Anaheim is able to stay so competitive while being essentially a one line team.

If there's a reasonable proposal to get Kubina or Kaberle, salaries and everything taken into account, I'd listen.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:44 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
And our offensive defenseman are Green and...

exactly.

We're absolutely starved for a guy like Streit, Kubina or Kaberle on the 2nd pairing. Moreso than for a stay at home defenseman. Moreso, imo, than for a 2nd line center (since Nylander is not going anywhere). Other than Green we have no one who can competently move the puck. The more puck movers you have the less energy forwards spend on transition, the more energy they can subsequently spend on scoring. That's how Anaheim is able to stay so competitive while being essentially a one line team.

If there's a reasonable proposal to get Kubina or Kaberle, salaries and everything taken into account, I'd listen.
ya but he point is we suck defensivly and we should get defensive defensmen

um is online now   Reply With Quote