HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hejduk or cheechoo (ZIPAY)

View Poll Results: If you had a choice as GM....
Hejduk 78 73.58%
Cheechoo 28 26.42%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-04-2009, 11:34 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500

I chose Cheechoo

I like Hejduk, but his age and the rumors of him going back home concern me.

Cheechoo, I think can get back to his 20+ goal scoring ways. If Callahan can do that in such a tight defensive scheme, then under Torts more attack styled apporach I can't see why Cheech get back to 20+ per season.

If they were both 29 years old, Hejduk hands down

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I don't think either of them would make a good GM!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
very good point, but do you think Cheechoo solidifies anything? I really think he is overrated.
I do too, but as usual, it's a question of access. Is there a better player available to the Rangers at a comparable price?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 11:57 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I do too, but as usual, it's a question of access. Is there a better player available to the Rangers at a comparable price?
that my friend is the million dollar question, which arises another question. What is the price?

Also which slims down the list is does Tort's like him, and will he fit into our new system?

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:00 PM
94now

Neither. These are solid players, but not elite. We need a star performer to fill Jagr's void. Enough of Gomez already regardless of price.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
NYR Viper

Cheechoo. I have watched quite a few Shark games this season and last season and the only reason Cheechoo hasnt put up the same amount of goals is:
A) his playing time has gone down with the emergence of Setogouchi
B) fluke injuries

The guy skates hard, forechecks and just has the knack of scoring goals. Some are pretty, some are dirty but he has a nose for the goal. I would take Cheechoo only if Gomez was going to stay because he needs a playmaker with him. If Gomez is gone(which is what I hope) I would take Hejduk to play with Drury.

Let me just say that if Sather gives up anything substantial for either of these players I will be pissed.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:14 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Neither, but I can see how Cheechoo could be "this year's Zherdev" in that he's a bit of a coin toss at a modest cap hit and, presumably, a modest price.
That's my thinking as well.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Cheechoo can still put up 30+ goals. He battled a couple injuries but unfortunately, Setogucci emerged as an elite scorer while he was recovering. 3rd line minutes doesn't do much for a guy like Cheechoo.

Is he the solution to all of our problems? No, but he might be all we can get at this point.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
that my friend is the million dollar question, which arises another question. What is the price?
At least we know the dollar figure. The "price" in terms in compensation, tough to say. I'm having trouble putting a value on Cheechoo, but it's probably going to cost you something you'd rather not part with.

On the flip side, if you're moving salary to target a UFA, you're probably having to sweeten the deal with a pick, prospect or young player anyway.

If you end up at the same place either way, I think you're right, this comes down to the guy Torts wants.

Old
06-04-2009, 12:47 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
At least we know the dollar figure. The "price" in terms in compensation, tough to say. I'm having trouble putting a value on Cheechoo, but it's probably going to cost you something you'd rather not part with.

On the flip side, if you're moving salary to target a UFA, you're probably having to sweeten the deal with a pick, prospect or young player anyway.

If you end up at the same place either way, I think you're right, this comes down to the guy Torts wants.
just curious but would you do either of the following deals?

Gomez + 3rd (you can even throw in a Byers, or Dupont) for Cheechoo

or

Drury + 2nd 09 + 4th 10 for Hejduk

edit: the only reason I use Gomez in the first proposal is b/c I have no clue if Drury would accept a trade to SJ.

Old
06-04-2009, 12:54 PM
eco's bones

Bringing in either one of these guys means Slats is probably keeping Gomez because they both need someone to set them up and Gomez is the closest thing we have to a reall playmaker. If given the choice I think we need more than anything else to get out of cap hell. Cheechoo or Hejduk might make Gomez resemble at least somewhat a player worth the money he's getting--but the 5 remaining years are still too much. A couple weeks ago I mentioned Lundqvist, Staal and Dubinsky as the three most important Rangers but one could just as well say Gomez, Drury and Redden because those three pretty much have the team tied up in knots as far as contracts and to some extent player movement goes.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I do the Gomez one, but I can't see ANY scenario in which SJS wants another center, much less one that will be the highest paid player on the team.

Personally, I think the Rangers are worse team swapping Drury for Hejduk regardless of what they do with the balance of the cash. Long term, it's a real disaster to part with those picks.

I'm thinking you're talking about Callahan or Girardi as the main piece of a Cheechoo deal.

Old
06-04-2009, 01:59 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
I do the Gomez one, but I can't see ANY scenario in which SJS wants another center, much less one that will be the highest paid player on the team.

Personally, I think the Rangers are worse team swapping Drury for Hejduk regardless of what they do with the balance of the cash. Long term, it's a real disaster to part with those picks.

I'm thinking you're talking about Callahan or Girardi as the main piece of a Cheechoo deal.
Why do you say that? I mean it would only be two picks, none of them a 1st and we have plenty of depth in the pipeline. I think we could afford to lose a couple picks and not really miss a beat. I mean there is only so much space available for players to play and our last draft looks so promising that along w/ all the youth we have already and I think that we could part w/ 2 picks and be fine.

regarding to the cheechoo response, i could live w/ getting rid of Girardi for Cheechoo as we have alot of depth on defense it seems, but to lose Cally who did pop 20+ goals and seems to have found his stride w/ Torts would really piss me off and I think that we would be worse of trading cally. he is also becoming (if not already) heart and soul of this team.

Old
06-04-2009, 02:09 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I seriously doubt that. It's not like Cheechoo is a great player at this point. He had 12 goals and 17 assists in 66 games this year. His numbers have dropped precipitously since his career year in 05-06. And his minutes have dropped as well, to the point where's a 3rd liner at this point in his career. His value is at an all time low.

The question is, would they want Gomez, Drury or Rozy. I don't know, but I don't think we'd have to add anything of significance to any of those players to get Cheechoo. If anything, SJ would add another player to even out the money. Maybe something like Rozy + a 4th for Cheechoo and Lukowich.

Lukowich only has 1 year left and Cheechoo has 2, the 2nd of which we could buy out if necessary.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Why do you say that? I mean it would only be two picks, none of them a 1st and we have plenty of depth in the pipeline.
Only because I'm watching this Cup final and I can't fathom the Rangers competing with either team in the short term. Neither of these guys changes anything for the Rangers in the grand scheme of things, so I'm hesitant to part with a commodity that has a significantly longer life to the organization than the player you're acquiring when this team should be looking a little further down the road.

Old
06-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I seriously doubt that. It's not like Cheechoo is a great player at this point. He had 12 goals and 17 assists in 66 games this year. His numbers have dropped precipitously since his career year in 05-06. And his minutes have dropped as well, to the point where's a 3rd liner at this point in his career. His value is at an all time low.
Eh, I'm bad at fantasy proposals in general, but like I said, Cheechoo's lack of consistency makes it even harder for me to pin down his value.

Old
06-04-2009, 02:22 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Only because I'm watching this Cup final and I can't fathom the Rangers competing with either team in the short term. Neither of these guys changes anything for the Rangers in the grand scheme of things, so I'm hesitant to part with a commodity that has a significantly longer life to the organization than the player you're acquiring when this team should be looking a little further down the road.
ok fair enough.

My train of thought was just to try to get rid of bad contracts so we can build a team like them and compete, but you are right that you do need picks to build a team.

Old
06-04-2009, 02:45 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I'd take Cheechoo and any other salary dump in a second if it meant the Rangers get to dump Drury in return.

Hejduk is by far the better player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I chose Cheechoo

I like Hejduk, but his age and the rumors of him going back home concern me.

Cheechoo, I think can get back to his 20+ goal scoring ways. If Callahan can do that in such a tight defensive scheme, then under Torts more attack styled apporach I can't see why Cheech get back to 20+ per season.

If they were both 29 years old, Hejduk hands down
Under an offensive Ron Wilson and along side of one of the best playmakers in the league, Cheechoo failed to thrive. It's safe to say, he's not changing. This also means that I fully expect Sather to sign him to a 6.5-7 million a year deal, including a NMC, when he's a UFA in 2 season, with expectations he'll be better in NY.

Last edited by vipernsx: 06-04-2009 at 02:52 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 02:55 PM
NYR Viper

I would think Cheechoo may be a good player to grab if the Rangers are looking to try and sign Gaborik. Gaborik is a very good goal scorer but he is also a very good playmaker and is one of the fastest players in the entire league. A player like Cheechoo who likes to get in on the forecheck and can finish the puck may be an ideal opposite side winger for him. Just throwing it out there if they are indeed interested in Rozsival for Cheechoo because that would leave a good amount of cap room for Gaborik.

Old
06-04-2009, 02:57 PM
NYR Viper

What about this?

Gomez + Rozsival + Byers

For

Marleau + Cheechoo

Old
06-04-2009, 04:49 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

no on both -- one is too expensive for a reclamation project and the other is probably better suited out west

i say we go a liitle cheaper than 3-4 million. There are guys out there who can score 20-25 goals at only 1.5 - 2 million a season

Now, if it means unloading rosie's contract for a guy with only one or two years left, then i guess I am all for it -- if it's a case of who has the better contract, i would rather have Hejduk

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Vitto79

It does make sense and I would do Rozy for Cheecho and save a few million in the process

but Blake should resign with SJ so whatever

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 05:02 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If it meant dumping Gomez' contract, I'd take back Cheechoo, though I'd rather have Marleau. Regardless, I put very little stock into Zipay's speculation.
The only way Cheechoo makes sense is to keep Gomez as the only time he's been any good was playing with an elite playmaker.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 05:44 PM
OverTheCap

I think Rangers fans would get really fed up and frustrated with Cheechoo. He has steadily declined since 2005-06 when he scored 56 goals. As others have previously mentioned, I can see how he would be "this year's Zherdev," as he is a bit of an enigma which may drive his trade value down.

Hejduk is a great talent, although I think his best years are behind him. Neither Cheechoo nor Hejduk would be ideal, as we really need an elite goalscorer to build a team around and I think both Hejduk and Cheechoo are complimentary players. But if it means we can get rid of our one of our horrid contracts, I'm all for it. Beggars can't be choosers...

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I
Under an offensive Ron Wilson and along side of one of the best playmakers in the league, Cheechoo failed to thrive. It's safe to say, he's not changing. This also means that I fully expect Sather to sign him to a 6.5-7 million a year deal, including a NMC, when he's a UFA in 2 season, with expectations he'll be better in NY.
He scored 54 goals and followed it up by almost notching 40, how much better is 'thriving'? He was battling injuries most of last year, and was coming off hernia surgery to begin the season. He spent most of this season on the 3rd line and over the last two years, had his PP time cut in half even though the PP accounted for nearly half his goals over the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons.

Is he the best option? Not at all. But he's got a reasonable cap hit and is probably available. If he rebounds in NY, great, we've got a legitimate scoring winger and have the option to resign him before other teams get a crack at him. If not, we let him go when his contract is up because we learned he wont succeed in NY before Sather takes a chance on him on the open market.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote