HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Top Prospects #5

View Poll Results: #5, who is it?
D Brett Bellemore 0 0%
D Casey Borer 0 0%
D Brett Carson 2 6.25%
C Stefan Chaput 0 0%
RW/C Zac Dalpe 17 53.13%
RW/C Nick Dodge 0 0%
D Brian Dumoulin 0 0%
D Kyle Lawson 0 0%
LW Mattias Lindstrom 0 0%
G Mike Murphy 5 15.63%
LW Philippe Paradis 7 21.88%
G Justin Peters 0 0%
RW Jarome Samson 0 0%
C Chris Terry 1 3.13%
other 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-08-2009, 02:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Canes Top Prospects #5

1) C/LW Zach Boychuk - 51.85%
2) LW Drayson Bowman - 59.26%
3) C Brandon Sutter - 48.65%
4) D Jamie McBain - 80.77%

added Bellemore

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 02:11 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

vCash: 500
check again, no poll

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaberlay View Post
check again, no poll
It takes some time to add after the post. I don't think there is an option to add it before you post. He's probably working away at it right now.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 02:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
This one should be interesting since the top 4 are all out of the way. I can see serious arguments being made for Dalpe, Murphy, Terry and Paradis here. I'll be interested to see how this one ends up

I'm leaning towards adding either Blanchard or Kivisto after this round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
It takes some time to add after the post. I don't think there is an option to add it before you post. He's probably working away at it right now.
Indeed I was

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
So far, the list has gone exactly the way my personal list has gone. Next on my list was Phillipe Paradis. I'll have to explain.

First of all, he was a first round pick. I think that has to carry some weight into the discussion. In such a deep draft as the one we just had, going in the first 30 selections is a big deal. This is without having even seen the kid play other than highlight snippets.

Secondly, I really like what i've heard about him from Francis and many others that have commented on his drive and work ethic to improve. He supposedly has a world class shot that we should see more of as a lot of the depth of his team in the Q has departed.

Thirdly, you never want to underrate a player and have to drastically move him up your board. If you place him in safe proximity and he has to move up or down a few spots then no worries. There is a chance he could be 2nd or 3rd on a few lists by the end of the season with a ridiculous showing in the Q and it would give your list more credibility to have foreseen that kind of breakout that is more than likely coming with his raw skills.

I must admit, it was TOUGH for me to rank him ahead of Zac Dalpe even before having heard about his impressive addition of body mass due to having never seen Paradis play. However, he already has a projectable NHL style and frame which helps his case.

I wouldn't have any problem with Dalpe taking this one, but if Paradis doesn't line up here then he should probably come next. Much like Drayson Bowman in his WHL draft year, Paradis was by all accounts buried on a team with a ton of senior year depth. With first line icetime and his raw skills, we should see a similar type break out as we did with Bowman.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 02:59 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Paradis. I think this kid can surprise everyone of us. I see in him Cole version. Don't forget Cole was monster in his good year but this injuries ****ed him seriosly.

Then Murphy. Wrong time for him - Ward is lock for Carolina for next 5-6 season i think and Murphy definitely has potential to be very good goaltender. He works very hard and i don't have doubt he can play in NHL.

Then Terry. Maybe he never has chance in Hurricanes but i love his game and liedership.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
As of today, it is Dalpe for me. He was a guy in last years draft that was looked upon to go in the first round and it wouldn't have surprised a lot of people, seeing him dip into the second round and being available at our pick, that was the surprise. As of right now he looks like one of those guys who teams may regret not taking. Especially considering how well he had developed leading up to the draft and now we've seen another consecutive year of real strong development out of him. To me, based on what he's shown over the past 2 years, he's got promise written all over him. If Dalpe can now show a 3rd consecutive year of strong development, which by all indications looks to be the case, he may just be a real gem.

Dalpe showed good goal scoring technique in his first year of NCAA and if he continues to improve, which looks to be the case based on how he looked at the recent prospects camp (real good hands/shot, skating, confidence, filled out his frame some more and has simply matured and has taken his game to another level in the past year - word is he was a real nice standout), he could come into the NHL in a couple years as a young player who is known for scoring goals, that seems to be his niche. Over the past 2 years Dalpe has done everything right from growing taller and filling out his frame (about 16 lbs added in the past year), continues to show his goal scoring is a real talent which will only get better, his shot seems to be a gem with a very good quick release and his skating and movement on the ice make him tough to contain. By the sounds of it he may even be Captain of Ohio this season. As a 18/19 year old in his first year of NCAA playing on a team made up of mostly 20-24 year old guys, Dalpe's statistics speak volumes in my opinion. I look and expect Dalpe to do big things this coming season. I have a feeling after this season, he's going to go booming up the depth chart and we'll be hearing his name more and more. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Dalpe take home or be in the running for the Hobey Baker before he leaves NCAA.

Paradis needs to prove this season exactly why the Carolina Hurrucanes took a reach and made him a surprising 1st rd pick. Because as of today, many are still wondering. Based on what we've heard about Paradis, it sounds like there could be something nice there. With that said, again, it is now up to him to prove it.

Last edited by Guerzy: 08-08-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 08:21 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

I was pissed at the Paradis pick but I've grown to like the player he is. I think he has the potential to be a solid 30-30 guy who isn't shy to physical play. He's a great guy to add to our existing pool of prospects and brings another dimension. With Dalpe's good freshman season and prospect camp, you could easily make an argument for him though.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 08:36 PM
bleedgreen

i took murph the smurf. he is all boom or bust his boom is higher than almost any of our guys. I like dalpe around here, but my list has murphy in the top 5. i think we overrate bowman a bit, hope im wrong.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Forgot to add my personal list in my previous post. It's fun to keep track of in comparison to the poll and majority.

Where I currently stand -

1. Boychuk
2. Sutter
3. Bowman
4. McBain
5. Dalpe

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Scorvo

Dalpe. He was awesome at prospect camp.

Scorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 02:42 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

My vote also goes to Dalpe.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

This kind of gets to the topic of another thread, but its nice to have this kind of conversation this deep into the pool. It's been a while since we've been able to feel this good 6-7 deep, although of course, some will pan out and some not.

As for my selection, need I say it?

When Paradis is representing the Hurricanes in the 2017 NHL All-Star game, you will all come on here and remark on how prescient I was. Of course, I won't understand any of it, as by that time I will be in my mid-50's, and won't have the faintest idea what you are talking about...as I blubber on for the 65th time about 2006

Last edited by Citizen Cane: 08-11-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote