HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson and trades

Old
06-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Liminality

vCash: 500
Cody Franson and trades

I'm not sure how high Nashville is on Cody but could something like this workout?
I figured Nashville is getting close to going deep in the playoffs and would want forward and defensive depth.

Niklas Hagman
Pavel Kubina
2nd round pick (Carolina)

Cody Franson
1st round pick (Nashville)
Salary dump?

Is the value there? Am I way off?
I know that there's alot of money going Nashville's way but I'm not sure who to use as a salary dump.

While I'm making a trade thread I'll just post other trades I think could work out.

Alexei Ponikarovsky
1st round pick (Toronto)

Tom Preissing
1st round pick (LA Kings)

A little twist on the Poni+7th for 5th. I thought the salary dump would be the insentive to drop 2 spots for the Kings.

Tomas Kaberle
Anton Stralman
4th round pick (Toronto)

Tom Sestito
Dan Lacosta
Fredrik Modin
1st round pick (Columbus)

I'm not sure how cbj fans would react if I put in Maxim Mayorov instead of Sestito and Lacosta so I just kept it like that.
How far off am I?

Toronto drafts Brayden Schenn(5th), Simon Despres(11th) and Zack Kassian(15th)

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 01:36 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

I dont know much about Franson, but I guess the first looks ok for me.

2nd one I dont see Toronto taking preissing back, i dont care if the salaries match, I think Poni is enough to move 2 spots.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 01:53 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

1. nashville has a 'build from the draft' MO. I doubt either franson or that pick get traded, unless the pick is traded to move down a spot or 2 like they did last year.

2. I doubt preissing changes much. The kings allready seem to be planning on buying him out, and have no cap or salary problems anyways.

3. I could see happening if Filatov is expected to replace modin next year. Not entirely sure stralman would even make the CBJ top-6. Also, columbus allready traded their 2nd, so i'm not sure they want to have their first pick in the draft in the 3rd round. I also think the trade is tilted in the leafs favor (1st, modin (has value), for what would be their 6th/7th defenceman and kaberle). That 4th should probably be a 2nd.

Last edited by danishh: 06-04-2009 at 02:01 PM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Nashville doesn't need more defensemen, they need forwards, Kubina's contract is likely to large for Nashville's liking, and Hagman is not going to be enough to get their first and Franson.

I really don't think Ponikarovsky is interesting enough to LA to justify them moving down in the draft.

The Columbus one looks OK to me.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 02:01 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

That's a bit of cash going Nashville's way and the only salary Nashville can dump is Ellis at 1.75 million. The Preds gain $6.25 million which is more than they were planning on spending on a 2nd line wing. Franson was the internal option for defense and looked to me on the roster. Nashville would consider an offer for Hagman alone but they might balk at the 1st round pick which is 11.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 02:27 PM
DougGilmour93

Jiri Tlusty
Pavel Kubina

for

Cody Franson
Salary dump?

than...

Alexei Ponikarovsky
1st round pick(Toronto)
3rd in 09

for

than...

Tomas Kaberle

for

Michael Blunden
Marc Methot

Than we select....

5th...Schenn

11th...Ekman-Larsson

15th...Glennie

DougGilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post

than...

than...

Than we select....
what the **** is wrong with GTA schools?

Old
06-04-2009, 02:52 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
what the **** is wrong with GTA schools?
Too much internet access, not enough homework.

Old
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
DougGilmour93

LOL. I was just posting quick... I'm at work....lol

Old
06-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Nashville doesn't need more defensemen, they need forwards, Kubina's contract is likely to large for Nashville's liking, and Hagman is not going to be enough to get their first and Franson.

I really don't think Ponikarovsky is interesting enough to LA to justify them moving down in the draft.

The Columbus one looks OK to me.
I thought Nashville had a decent top 6 forward core last year, with hagman that makes it slightly better. With the trade Nashville still has enough money for a mid level forward and has an awsome top 4 in Defence imo. Weber-Kubina Sutter-Hamhuis with their young guys fighting for #5 and #6 spots. Franson looks lost in the depth chart and they were ranked #3 in the organizational rankings, I think they won't miss the first rounder when they make the playoffs and are hopeing for a deep run. I don't mean to act like I know the Nashville organization though, I know that some teams arn't meant to be trading partners.

To be honest with the LA trade, I heard the trade proposed a couple of times on here and just thought I'd run with it. Ponikarovsky gives them a big scoring winger to play in the top 6 or top 9. The leafs would probably have to add in one of their 2nd rounders but then I wouldn't want a salary dump going Toronto's way.

I assumed that Fredrik Modin had negative value so I just put him in there. I guess I could have just as easliy said a salary dump of some sort. I put Stralman and Kaberle in the Cbj trade because Kaberle gives them a #1/#2 defenceman and Stralman was pretty much just to fill in their blueline depth while still raw and young.

Glad I didn't get flamed as much as I thought.

Old
06-04-2009, 03:45 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

We haven't started yet.

Right now Nashville only needs top 6 forwards for their big club. Franson is part of the picture to fill out the defensive corp Weber-Suter, Hamhuis-Klein, Sulzer-Franson.

As for the minors, they need defenseman depth not top line talent. Blum is a year away and Josi is in Europe and 2 years away.

In addition, Nashville can not cross the 46-48 Million dollar barrier with their salary, depending on if the cap goes down or not. Nashville has never had a 5 million dollar player and I don't see them doing it for a while.

Old
06-04-2009, 03:51 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

why exactly do people keep adding to the LA Tor trade. Poni and the 5th has already been posted to death and has pretty much been accepted by both teams. Now one of you added Preissing. If they add him they'll be adding something else as well. Then there's Gilmour who's never been close on a proposal adds a 3rd on our side. Really guys get a clue and take a look at other forums.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
soybean

Quote:
Jiri Tlusty
Pavel Kubina

for

Cody Franson
Salary dump?

than...

Alexei Ponikarovsky
1st round pick(Toronto)
3rd in 09

for

than...

Tomas Kaberle

for

Michael Blunden
Marc Methot

Than we select....

5th...Schenn

11th...Ekman-Larsson

15th...Glennie
I like that first trade, but I think someone already beat me to it: too much salary going to Nashville. I'm going to guess that Nashville would probably want an additional roster player/prospect to give up on such a high pick (DiDominenco/Mitchell/Grabovsky/etc.) Also, Nashville to throw in a charity pick (4th, 5th)

Those other trades seem feasible. Might be much for Kabby though

soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 03:55 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
1. nashville has a 'build from the draft' MO. I doubt either franson or that pick get traded, unless the pick is traded to move down a spot or 2 like they did last year.

2. I doubt preissing changes much. The kings allready seem to be planning on buying him out, and have no cap or salary problems anyways.

3. I could see happening if Filatov is expected to replace modin next year. Not entirely sure stralman would even make the CBJ top-6. Also, columbus allready traded their 2nd, so i'm not sure they want to have their first pick in the draft in the 3rd round. I also think the trade is tilted in the leafs favor (1st, modin (has value), for what would be their 6th/7th defenceman and kaberle). That 4th should probably be a 2nd.
Stralman is 22, remember. His value lies in his potential, not where he falls on the depth chart.

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
We haven't started yet.

Right now Nashville only needs top 6 forwards for their big club. Franson is part of the picture to fill out the defensive corp Weber-Suter, Hamhuis-Klein, Sulzer-Franson.

As for the minors, they need defenseman depth not top line talent. Blum is a year away and Josi is in Europe and 2 years away.

In addition, Nashville can not cross the 46-48 Million dollar barrier with their salary, depending on if the cap goes down or not. Nashville has never had a 5 million dollar player and I don't see them doing it for a while.
Ah, thanks for the insight.
I always thought Franson was still a couple of years away from the big club. What do you project his top potential to be? #2/#3 Defenceman or is he just depth on the blueline?

Is Nashville really going to keep their salary that low? I know that all the teams are worried about the cap but with all their cap space they could go after a couple strong free agents this summer.

Old
06-04-2009, 04:07 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Franson for Mason Raymond + pick?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 08:16 PM
BrindamoursNose

Franson is a UFA guys....why trade for him at all?

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Hah, shows what I know.
I didn't even check his contract at all.

The anwser is simple then, the leafs sign Franson in the offseason.

Old
06-04-2009, 08:36 PM
re5piration
'67 til

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
?

He's not an RFA until 10-11.

re5piration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 08:45 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leafinator View Post
?

He's not an RFA until 10-11.
You got me, I was thinking of the totally wrong guy. I confused the name Cody Franson with Greg Zanon.

Good catch..sorry!

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2009, 10:47 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
LOL. I was just posting quick... I'm at work....lol
so your ring finger slipped all the way from the 'e' to the 'a'?

that wasn't a typo, it was intentional.

Old
06-04-2009, 11:02 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
so your ring finger slipped all the way from the 'e' to the 'a'?

that wasn't a typo, it was intentional.
I didn't even catch that...lol

Thanks for being a ***** about it tho.

Old
06-04-2009, 11:52 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liminality View Post
I'm not sure how high Nashville is on Cody but could something like this workout?
I figured Nashville is getting close to going deep in the playoffs and would want forward and defensive depth.

Niklas Hagman
Pavel Kubina

Cody Franson
Salary dump?

Is the value there? Am I way off?
I know that there's alot of money going Nashville's way but I'm not sure who to use as a salary dump.
Simply put, we cannot afford to add Kubina, nor would Poile be willing to part with our first round pick. He's spent much of last year's draft trying to accumulate as many picks as he could because he thinks this is the year that the current talent wave crests.

However, I do think we would have some degree of interest in Hagman, especially if the Leafs were willing to take on Dan Ellis. He's really come on as a goal scorer in the last couple of years and brings intensity every shift. He would be great alongside Legwand and Erat.

My opinion of Franson is fairly well-documented, but I think we hang on to him.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:49 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Simply put, we cannot afford to add Kubina, nor would Poile be willing to part with our first round pick. He's spent much of last year's draft trying to accumulate as many picks as he could because he thinks this is the year that the current talent wave crests.

However, I do think we would have some degree of interest in Hagman, especially if the Leafs were willing to take on Dan Ellis. He's really come on as a goal scorer in the last couple of years and brings intensity every shift. He would be great alongside Legwand and Erat.

My opinion of Franson is fairly well-documented, but I think we hang on to him.
At this point in time, since the Leafs don't really have much in the way of good goaltending signed, I would like to think that they would be interested in going after a guy like Dan Ellis, He's a much younger (and better IMO) goaltender than Toskala is at a cheaper rate and has already been (and could be again) a #1 starter. Provided Ellis isn't injury-prone in any way, then I could see a deal for him being quite feasible. Hagman has been a good player for the Leafs. Despite the injury-time he had this past regular season, he still managed to score reasonably well. Also, if Hagman were to be moved, it would open up a roster spot for Tlusty next season.

As to the other proposals, it's highly doubtful that the Leafs would want Preissing even if they were to nove either Kaberle or Kubina. The TOR-LA proposal is fine with the 7th overall + Ponikarovsky going to LA for the 5th overall (so there is no need to add to this). Also, the Leafs would not likely move Stralman in any deal, especially if they end up moving Kaberle, as Stralman would in all likelihood be Kaberle's replacement.

EDIT: If Stralman and Modin were removed from the CLB-TOR proposal, it may be received by both sides a bit more positively. Then again... maybe not.

Last edited by EucaLEAFtys: 06-05-2009 at 11:57 AM.
EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Predsrule

Alexei Ponikarovsky

For

Cody Franson

To me this is best trade both teams can make.

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote