HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2012, 06:49 PM
AvsThrashingMad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Can we give this dude some praise or do we wait to see what he does for the head coach situation and free agency this summer?
Sherman has definitely gained more respect since he took over, but he still has a lot of work to do. If he can bring in a compentent head coach, get all of our players signed to reasonable deals, and pickup a fews pieces in the Free Agency, we'll be sitting pretty going into the 2012-13 season. I like what Sherman has done reshaping our team; bringing in a lot of young talent without compromising the core, but like I said, Sherm has a big plate this summer.

Old
02-27-2012, 07:07 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Look no further than Francois Giguere's movements and the shape he left the Colorado Avalanche roster in to see what a good job Greg Sherman and co. have done.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Here is the team Sherman inherited in June 2009. Only listing NHL quality players.

Forwards

Hejduk
Stastny
Wolski
Smyth
Svatos
McLeod
Stewart
Laperriere (pending UFA)
Tucker
Jones
McCormick
Galiardi
Hendricks
Dupuis

Defensemen

Liles
Salei
Clark
Hannan
Foote
Cumiskey

Goaltenders

Budaj

I don't think you can give Sherman credit for Duchene/O'Reilly/Elliott/Barrie. That's Pracey. But to Shermans credit he does seem to allow the scouts to run the draft. He seems to trust his pro scouts being able to identify players that fit our needs and make trades from it.

Avs have been completely transformed and to the better. Not only do we have better players. The focus on compete and character is starting to show. The purging of players that often left you wanting more is a very deliberate shift in philosophy.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:16 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

The team is youngest, faster, more talented, and a hell of a lot more physical.

We can't complain. We're on the right track. Sherm the Worm will address any glaring holes we have.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

I'm a big fan of Sherman, we've got the youngest, and one of the most grittiest teams in the NHL, and we're already in playoff contention.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

I'm actually quite impressed with how our team looks. There are no dead weight contracts on the team, and most players are still playing and growing into their primes.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
I'm actually quite impressed with how our team looks. There are no dead weight contracts on the team, and most players are still playing and growing into their primes.
Leaf fans will disagree, of course. We can't handle that overpaid Stastny guy.

Old
02-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

People around HF still hate the Varlamov trade, I guarantee they wouldn't say it was as brutal if it was for someone like Stastny, but since it's a first rounder everyones like: "Shurman be the wrost GM evar!!!1111!"

Old
02-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Leaf fans will disagree, of course. We can't handle that overpaid Stastny guy.
God makes me wish we had Clark McArthur or Tyler Bozak now

Old
02-29-2012, 02:50 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
There is a Greg Sherman GM of the Year thread in the main board? Lol what?

Old
02-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
There is a Greg Sherman GM of the Year thread in the main board? Lol what?
I'd really like for us to just be off the radar but we keep getting brought up.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:00 PM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 157
I remember when people say we always get ripped off, then there is a thread of him being GM of the year haha, although one person made it.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:02 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
I'd really like for us to just be off the radar but we keep getting brought up.
To be fair, there was a "Is Colorado imploding?" thread a while ago, so I guess it balances out in the end.

I do think some of the Avs posters are acting a bit silly and are overly defensive on the main boards. There are lots of stupid people on HF and they say a lot of stupid ****. No reason to go into clinch with them at every opportunity.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
I remember when people say we always get ripped off, then there is a thread of him being GM of the year haha, although one person made it.
People still believe we got ripped off in those trades. And some think it can still be a lottery pick and that Steve sucks.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
To be fair, there was a "Is Colorado imploding?" thread a while ago, so I guess it balances out in the end.

I do think some of the Avs posters are acting a bit silly and are overly defensive on the main boards. There are lots of stupid people on HF and they say a lot of stupid ****. No reason to go into clinch with them at every opportunity.
Apperently we're developing a reputation around here. We are mean, nasty, defensive people.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
People still believe we got ripped off in those trades. And some think it can still be a lottery pick and that Steve sucks.

NO ONE TALKS **** ABOUT STEVE.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:07 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:
NO ONE TALKS **** ABOUT STEVE.
EXACTLY!! LET'S GO **** THEM UP FOR OUR DEAR LEADER STEVE VARMALOV!!

Old
02-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Apperently we're developing a reputation around here. We are mean, nasty, defensive people.
I don't know about the mean and nasty part but definitely defensive. I do it too when I see something on the main boards but some people just take it to another level with 5 straight pages of arguing and trying to defend Avs players/management.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I don't know about the mean and nasty part but definitely defensive. I do it too when I see something on the main boards but some people just take it to another level with 5 straight pages of arguing and trying to defend Avs players/management.
Well the mean and nasty part came from a Leafs fan who started a thread on here about how awful we were.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
EXACTLY!! LET'S GO **** THEM UP FOR OUR DEAR LEADER STEVE VARMALOV!!

THEY CAN TAKE OUR PORTERS, BUT THEY CAN NEVER TAKE, OUR VARMALOV!

rabblerabblerabble.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Foppa

I really think that the initial over-reaction to the EJ trade causes people to be stubborn and biased in their opinions about Sherman and Johnson himself because people in general don't want to admit they are wrong.

I think a rational person, when confronted with very valid information that EJ has been developing into an absolute stud and blueline building block would say "that seems about right, he's a huge talent, he's still young and there's a reason why the Blues only let him go for an outstanding package of assets". Instead, we face a barrage of "Avs got fleeced!" and "Shattenkirk has more points!" non-sense.

I think it'll be the same for Varlamov when/if he should blossom into a stud. Based on the odds, you're not going to get anybody with either his upside or his NHL-readiness with a draft pick in the middle of the first round. Let alone both. The little matter of the pick more likely to be #15 than in the top 5 seems to hold no weight. Somehow this prospect is viewed as a more valuable commodity than the youngest starting goalie in the NHL who has insane upside. Both are risks at this point still but how can one not comprehend that one is a less of a risk, with probably more of an upside, than the other? Simple...you over-reacted initially and now your defense mechanism is to simply ignore reality.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:30 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
I really think that the initial over-reaction to the EJ trade causes people to be stubborn and biased in their opinions about Sherman and Johnson himself because people in general don't want to admit they are wrong.

I think a rational person, when confronted with very valid information that EJ has been developing into an absolute stud and blueline building block would say "that seems about right, he's a huge talent, he's still young and there's a reason why the Blues only let him go for an outstanding package of assets". Instead, we face a barrage of "Avs got fleeced!" and "Shattenkirk has more points!" non-sense.

I think it'll be the same for Varlamov when/if he should blossom into a stud. Based on the odds, you're not going to get anybody with either his upside or his NHL-readiness with a draft pick in the middle of the first round. Let alone both. The little matter of the pick more likely to be #15 than in the top 5 seems to hold no weight. Somehow this prospect is viewed as a more valuable commodity than the youngest starting goalie in the NHL who has insane upside. Both are risks at this point still but how can one not comprehend that one is a less of a risk, with probably more of an upside, than the other? Simple...you over-reacted initially and now your defense mechanism is to simply ignore reality.
Not only this but I also think many GMs in the NHL are so afraid to make trades they don't outright 'win' that they fail to address team needs.

Who cares if George McPhee has won a trade or two in the past when he refuses to address the huge holes in his, what should be, contending team. The guy was willing to sit on an infected goalie situation for a year because he was more concerned with the return than his team. They have a huge hole in the #2C position but he has failed to address it since Fedorov.

GMs that make few small trades that they 'win' are worshipped on HF because a) picks are massively overrated and b) many posters here lack the ability to see the big picture.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:46 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
People around HF still hate the Varlamov trade, I guarantee they wouldn't say it was as brutal if it was for someone like Stastny, but since it's a first rounder everyones like: "Shurman be the wrost GM evar!!!1111!"
I get the feeling they aren't too thrilled that they aren't able to say (at least at this point) that we traded a LOTTERY PICK for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Not only this but I also think many GMs in the NHL are so afraid to make trades they don't outright 'win' that they fail to address team needs.

Who cares if George McPhee has won a trade or two in the past when he refuses to address the huge holes in his, what should be, contending team. The guy was willing to sit on an infected goalie situation for a year because he was more concerned with the return than his team. They have a huge hole in the #2C position but he has failed to address it since Fedorov.

GMs that make few small trades that they 'win' are worshipped on HF because a) picks are massively overrated and b) many posters here lack the ability to see the big picture.
I'll agree with this, good post. (Except for the Fedorov part because they must have needed one since even before him...hahaha)

I'll take it a step even FURTHER. David Poile is generally regarded as one of the best GMs in the league and people are actually 'applauding him' for what he did at the deadline. I think he completely miscalculated and made some bad moves. Gaustaud is a nice #3C and I don't mind that acquisition but he's certainly not going to help you score goals. Kostitsyn MIGHT but he's such a wild card...it's still a risk. (I told you guys he wasn't going to go for a 1st rounder)

Can you guys imagine Pierre Lacroix with THAT exact same NASHVILLE roster, what he would have done at this deadline (or probably even sooner) to shore up that team's offense??? Lindback would not be a Predator. The rights to Radulov would have been dealt away. He would have brought in the necessary guys, to truly go for it and go for that cup. Instead, Poile made what I consider depth moves, and they probably won't win on defense and goaltending alone. Too bad.

Old
02-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Like our team.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:23 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
The Varlamov trade is poor regardless of how well Varlamov performs in his career. It should be noted that there is some glaring inability to separate his trade value at time of the transaction from what it is now and will be in the future. It has gotten to be a boring conversation by now, but I find the idea that calling the trade bad was simply due to overreaction to be lazy on your part. Feel free to drag up the old Varlamov or goaltending thread for a list of arguments.

There is, of course, accounting for a player's future growth, which is why someone like Matt Duchene may hold greater value in a trade than Bobby Ryan, but there are also market factors like organizational depth (Washington having two other fine goaltenders in their home-grown stable), player's refusal to report, free agency options, traditional price for goalies, player injury history, team injury history, etc., that help dictate parameters for a trade. Sherman stepped outside of them. People applaud that for bravado and moxie, but it can also be bluntly identified as asset mismanagement depending on the viewpoint.

I like Varlamov quite a bit. I thought they overpaid at the time of the trade and nothing has changed since then, but at the same time I acknowledged that they at least went after the right individual. He has some work to do but he is a very talented player. That doesn't mean I would rather have him over the 1st, 2nd, and Vokoun/Giguere/etc. He fills a long-term need but who is to say that the course the Avalanche went in is better than they would have otherwise acquired?

Closed Thread