HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
Redden wasn't available until he was bought out. Even then, at best it's only a decent move in hindsight because he's looked half-way decent with the Blues, though I think this is debatable with the last couple games. But let's not kid ourselves, that's a move that would be shredded and second guessed to infinity if it happened.

Campoli would be decent, I'll grant you that. His defense is kinda meh, but I don't think he'd be any worse than what we currently have.

We can't assume Weber is even available. I think he'd be a great addition, but we can't assume he'd be easy to acquire.

I think the biggest problem we currently have is Elliott and Barrie aren't ready. Barrie, at least, looked like he was ready to take the next step this year. He looked great in the AHL this year but he's just looked out out of place so far in the NHL. It's to be expected of a rookie, sure, and it's hard to blame him for the clusterf* that is our defense, but he does look different. At this point do we keep playing him and hope he adjusts, or send him back and try it again next year?
At this point I say play him. He's no worse than any of the other pluggers on this team. Yeah, he's getting pushed around A LOT, but either send the kid down or play him.

I really, really wish Sacco would get over his man-crush on Hunwick. Sacco just looks at the effort level and doesn't ever notices the fact that he's quite possibly the dumbest defenseman to ever don an Avs jersey. He continually makes the same mistakes over and over again, and yet gets top-pairing ice time.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Wow, wouldja look at that. A GM actually communicating with the media and fans. What a novel idea.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

Quote:
Sabres' GM Darcy Regier is looking for help, but it's slow going. "Iíve talked to some GMs the last few days. Itís a pretty quiet market right now. A number of teams have very small things they want to do, quite honestly, with the hope that whether itís with their players or our players, theyíre going to get them on track because of their previous history of them being a lot better. That kind of leaves it where weíre saying, 'Letís touch base again later in the week or later on.' Teams sitting in positions similar to us are hoping to turn it around with the group that they have and then in the event they donít, looking at the trade market. But as you said, itís pretty soft right now."

Old
02-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Heebs21*

So how is the Varlamov trade looking now?? What about the Erik Johnson trade?

Semyon Varlamov 3-6-1, .909 SV%, 2.58 GAA
Erik Johnson 10 GP, 0 G, 1 A, 1 Point
Duncan Siemens 53 GP, 1 G, 17 A, 18 Points

OR

Kevin Shattenkirk 12 GP, 1 G, 12 A, 13 Points
Chris Stewart 11 GP, 5 G, 2 A, 7 Points
Filip Forsberg (SWE Elite) 43 GP, G, 9 A, 17 Points
Ty Rattie (Portland) 47 GP, 31 G, 50 A, 81 Points
2nd round pick in 2013 to Wash

Varlamov has not been good. Plain and simple.

I'd also take Quincey any day of the week over Downie. All Downie does is take stupid penalties. The guy is a loose cannon. You cant win games with meat-heads like him running wild.

I hate to say it but Sherman needs to go before Sacco does. He has taken a young and promising team and tear it apart with two terrible trades.

Imagine Rattie and Forserg added to the young stars we have and a top 3 pick this year. He should have just left this team alone.

Sherman sucks!

Old
02-12-2013, 12:11 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post

OR

I'd also take Quincey any day of the week over Downie. All Downie does is take stupid penalties. The guy is a loose cannon. You cant win games with meat-heads like him running wild.

I hate to say it but Sherman needs to go before Sacco does. He has taken a young and promising team and tear it apart with two terrible trades.

Imagine Rattie and Forserg added to the young stars we have and a top 3 pick this year. He should have just left this team alone.

Sherman sucks!
Quite good. EJ is our best defenseman. Varly is a very talented goalie. And I dont see a good goalie or a #1 defenseman in that other group.

Do you base Downies "stupid penalties" on ONE game when he did that this season?

I dont like what I have seen from Filip Forsberg, no idea if he is a prospect that I would want rather than Siemens, since I basically have never seen Siemens play.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

I don't think you can say Varlamov has been bad for us. He's playing in front of the worst defense in the National Hockey League. The numbers only tell part of the story. Yeah, he's had his bad days at the office, but overall he's been fantastic. Put an elite defense in front of him (and don't kid yourself, he hasn't had one yet, not in Washington, and not here) and I imagine he'll be lights-out.

The question in my mind is not whether we got great players for those trades, but whether management has been prepared to fill the additional holes those trades made. That's where I'm at with Sherman, and IMO he hasn't done a great job.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:30 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
I'd also take Quincey any day of the week over Downie.
That's pure craziness.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:33 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

He's trolling.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Nihiliste

Some thoughts that came up in the GDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste
I don't disagree - I'm expressing my concern in a roundabout way about this rebuild. While they made some good moves early on, and even recently, they are alternately upsetting players in dealings with them (Anderson, O'reilly), driving guys to apathy with their loyalty to a **** coaching staff (Stastny), ruining the confidence of our starting goalie (Varly mid season last year and again now, also no goalie coach), and ruining the development of our prospects (Barrie, Elliott scratched for long periods instead of being sent down).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri
Won't get it bendy. No point. Stastny won't succeed in COL. Might as well trade him cause having him around is a luxury. This team is going to suck. Might as well suck cheap and get something young-ER back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste
So what do we do, give up on this rebuild now because it's clearly failed? (O'reilly holdout/Stastny imminent departure next season/no forward prospect depth/1 top 4 dman in the system)?

What are we the Blue Jackets?
Making trades/signings/drafting to fill holes are only one aspect of a GMs job. The other is making sure you put the players you acquire in the best position to succeed.

In my opinion we wasted an opportunity to find a good veteran partner for EJ early on after acquiring him to try to help mentor him and take a step forward in his development when he got a change of scenery. Instead he's been asked to shoulder the load on the worst defensive team in the league and has regressed offensively.

No goalie coach for Varlamov - this is something that both Varly and Giggy expressed concern over last season. Incredibly cheap to cut back in that area.

Developing prospects - neither Elliott nor Barrie should spend so much time in the press box when they could have been developing their games and building confidence in Erie.

To be fair they did try to assemble a strong top 9 group of wingers but injuries and players proving to just not be very good (Jones) kind of foiled that plan to surround their centers with talent.

But a big one to me is coaching. You've gotta give your guys an experienced guy who can help them be succesful not do whatever is in his power to help the team lose (did you see those PP groupings towards the end of the game? )

Old
02-12-2013, 01:40 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Making trades/signings/drafting to fill holes are only one aspect of a GMs job. The other is making sure you put the players you acquire in the best position to succeed.

In my opinion we wasted an opportunity to find a good veteran partner for EJ early on after acquiring him to try to help mentor him and take a step forward in his development when he got a change of scenery. Instead he's been asked to shoulder the load on the worst defensive team in the league and has regressed offensively.

No goalie coach for Varlamov - this is something that both Varly and Giggy expressed concern over last season. Incredibly cheap to cut back in that area.

Developing prospects - neither Elliott nor Barrie should spend so much time in the press box when they could have been developing their games and building confidence in Erie.

To be fair they did try to assemble a strong top 9 group of wingers but injuries and players proving to just not be very good (Jones) kind of foiled that plan to surround their centers with talent.

But a big one to me is coaching. You've gotta give your guys an experienced guy who can help them be succesful not do whatever is in his power to help the team lose (did you see those PP groupings towards the end of the game? )
Very good post--the only thing I'd argue slightly is the whole "goalie coach" thing. It sounds like we have a goalie consultant who works with all the goalies in the organization, and we have a lot of them obviously. McLean did come in and do some extra work with Andy when he was having struggles. There are a lot of areas where I feel ownership is passing the buck, but I'm not entirely sure this is one of them. Usually teams will either have the full-time coach or have a consultant who works at all levels of the organization. I dont' recall a team ever having both though.

Where did Giggy and Varly express concern about a goalie coach?

Old
02-12-2013, 12:44 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Very good post--the only thing I'd argue slightly is the whole "goalie coach" thing. It sounds like we have a goalie consultant who works with all the goalies in the organization, and we have a lot of them obviously. McLean did come in and do some extra work with Andy when he was having struggles. There are a lot of areas where I feel ownership is passing the buck, but I'm not entirely sure this is one of them. Usually teams will either have the full-time coach or have a consultant who works at all levels of the organization. I dont' recall a team ever having both though.

Where did Giggy and Varly express concern about a goalie coach?
I've kinda heard that Giggy is also basically acting as mentor/coach while also pushing for playing time. Giggy's pretty damn awesome that way.

Old
02-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I've kinda heard that Giggy is also basically acting as mentor/coach while also pushing for playing time. Giggy's pretty damn awesome that way.
I figured as much. Wouldn't be surprised if he became a goalie coach after he retires and is wildly successful at it.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Nihiliste

There were two interviews (one from Varly post trade, one from Giguere mid season) where they just made small comments where implications were that they were unsure why Maclean was only a part time consultant. If I can find them later I will post them.

Here are some interesting links that came up on the subject (first set of quotes are just from an opinion piece):
Quote:
Every NHL team has a full-time goalie coach, while 11 teams even have a two-coach system. I can’t comment on how much those coaches are with their teams (every goalie coach handles their workload and schedule differently), but I can tell you no other NHL team is more “behind the times” in terms of goalie coaching than the Avalanche.
Quote:
That being said, having a full-time goalie coach will ALWAYS trump having a “part-time” goalie coach in terms of practicing, developing, scouting and evaluating. There are many elements of Varlamov’s game that needs work, that much we know. But who is there to guide him and give him that visual feedback at the level and consistency he needs to develop at the most effective rate possible?
Quote:
he Avalanche’s lack of a full-time goalie coach is not just about Varlamov. It’s about having a pulse on the entire goaltending depth chart. The Avs go fishing blindfolded when it comes to drafting goalies. They seem to pick and choose randomly, without any type of systematic approach.

Look at Nashville; Magnus Hellberg is so much like Anders Lindback is so much like Pekka Rinne. You model prospects and drafted goalies after your elite stud in order to allow the goalies to develop similarly. The NHL teams that have really solid full-time goalie coaches understand this is a really good way to draft and develop goalies, and so the scouts will look for similar goalies that have similar form, function, and biomechanics.

For the Avalanche, since I started covering the team in 2006, no two goalies have been similar in form or function at all. Jose Theodore was nothing like Craig Anderson was nothing like Peter Budaj. As the prospects continue to pile up, Calvin Pickard is nothing like Sami Aittokallio (the first Finnish goalie they have ever drafted) is nothing like Kent Patterson is nothing like Kieran Millan.
http://www.thegoalieguild.com/2012/0...ach/#more-8653

Quote:
Travis Harrington of Mind the Net goaltending asks: What does a pro goaltender look for in a goalie coach? What do you feel are the key elements to a good goaltender/goalie coach relationship?

Giguere: “The two goalies with the goalie coach have to have a good relationship, everybody has to get along. It’s like a team within the team. You have to stick together. You have to be on the same page. I believe the goalie coach should know exactly how you want to play every situation you will face. And these are situations you should always work on, all the situaitons you will face in a game, I don’t know, maybe 20, and each of those situation has an answer, each is a question that has an answer, right? And the goalie coach should know what your answer is to every situation, every question.

“So that way when he is watching video, he knows exactly the mistake you have made or the good play you have made. When you are working on a drill you know exactly how you want to play each situation. And these things are up for discussion too. You should be able to have an open discussion. If he sees that something is not working for you, he should be able to bring you a different scenario of a different answer and see if you like it. Both of you have to have an open mind and respect the other opinion, that’s the kind of relationship you have to have I think.”
This type of in depth relationship doesn't sound like something that is best served in a part time consulting role.

Quote:
~ What about your relationship with Varlamov? Most on the outside assume there is some coaching and mentoring involved there too?

Giguere: “First and foremost I am not his goalie coach. Some people make that assumption and that would be unfair for Kirk [McLean, Colorado's part-time goaltending coach]. Kirk is the goalie coach, he is highly competent, he knows what he is doing, and this relationship is between Semyon and Kirk. I can not start givng him mixed messages. That is their relationship. The same relationship I have with Kirk, he has to have too. They should know exactly how they want to play each situation, and Semyon being different than I am, that will be dffifernt. I am more here as moral support, try to stay positive for him, try to keep him upbeat and confident and be a good teammate. Every goal he gives up, I have given up before, and every situation he finds himself in is a situation I have been in before. But I don’t go into the technical stuff with him.”
http://ingoalmag.com/news/jean-sebas...ere-ask-a-pro/

Last edited by Nihiliste: 02-12-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:

OR

Sherman sucks!
Wow. What a well informed post. Are you writing this from prison with 15 minute access to highlights every other week?

Quincey over Downie...LOL!!!! Pretty much every red wing fan BEGS to differ. I think they'd take Downie even with him being out for the year.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
There were two interviews (one from Varly post trade, one from Giguere mid season) where they just made small comments where implications were that they were unsure why Maclean was only a part time consultant. If I can find them later I will post them.

Are you referring to this, where he basically says he thought the Avs have a full time guy, and that he thinks they should?

Quote:
Are you bothered by the fact that the Avalanche don't have a full time goalie coach?

Is this good information? I heard that Kirk McLean works there full time.

It is good information from a Denver source.

WellÖ I don't know what our work will be like. But I hope Colorado will work with goaltenders every day. I am waiting for McLean to share his rich experience with me. Kirk played in the NHL a lot. He played for Vancouver in the 1994 Cup final. It is very interesting to work with such a person.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,wp8944

Old
02-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
Wow. What a well informed post. Are you writing this from prison with 15 minute access to highlights every other week?

Quincey over Downie...LOL!!!! Pretty much every red wing fan BEGS to differ. I think they'd take Downie even with him being out for the year.
And more to the point, arguing Quincey over Downie is moot anyway. Quincey wanted out, and was given his wish. I still have zero problem with his parting shots to the organization (he merely made public what players privately think all the time) but it's clear this was a marriage that needed to end. That said, it was a good trade that addressed a need. Problem now is that the Avs failed miserably to address what was lost in the Liles/Quincey trades. Even thought that may be addressed with the hopeful emergence of our defensive prospects in time, a better stopgap measure than Greg frickin' Zanon was necessary.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Are you referring to this, where he basically says he thought the Avs have a full time guy, and that he thinks they should?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,wp8944

Yup that's the Varly one. In my mind its simply unacceptable that we don't have a full time goalie coach.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:00 PM
Heebs21*

As for Varlamov and if he was needed you might want to check out Craig Anderson's stats. Last I checked he is the best goalie in the league and that idiot Sherman gave him away for nothing.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Quite good. EJ is our best defenseman. Varly is a very talented goalie. And I dont see a good goalie or a #1 defenseman in that other group.

Do you base Downies "stupid penalties" on ONE game when he did that this season?

I dont like what I have seen from Filip Forsberg, no idea if he is a prospect that I would want rather than Siemens, since I basically have never seen Siemens play.
Forsberg would be by far our best prospect in the system followed closely by Ty Rattie.

Who do you see in the farm who can come up and make an impact? No-one.

Sherman has left this roster depleted with horrible trades and has no-one in the farm ready to make an impact.

Him and Sacco are the worst GM/Coach combo in the league.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:03 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
That's pure craziness.

Quincey would be a top pairing D on our team and our 2nd best D-man. Id take him over 5 of the 6 guys we have.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Heebs21*

How could I forget the fact that he gave Liles up for nothing....Nice work moron.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
He's trolling.
Keep defending the guy who built a team which is the worst squad in the league year in year out.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Johnson is at least a top 30 defenseman in the NHL right now, so there's no way he's a "bust". Clearly better than Shattenkirk, that's for sure.

So far, I love the Greg Sherman moves, save for the Hunwick deal. I'm indifferent to the Anderson deal; I neither care that he's gone, nor how little the return is. Too many question marks about his consistency.
Wow. You guys are delusional in here.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:11 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Keep defending the guy who built a team which is the worst squad in the league year in year out.
Keep drowning yourself in alcohol thinking that a rebuilding is cup contender.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Heebs21*

Gabe Landeskog - Matt Duchene - PA Parenteau
Chris Stewart - Paul Stastny - David Jones
Jamie McGinn- *Trade from O'Reilly - Milan Hedjuk
Patrick Bordeleau - John Mitchell - Cody Mcleod
Marc Olver, Chuck Kobasew

Defense

Kevin Shattenkirk - Ryan Wilson
JM Liles - Kyle Quincey
Ryan O'Byrne - Matt Hunwick

Goal:

Craig Anderson
JS Giguere

Prospects:

Filip Forsberg
Ty Rattie
Trade from O'Reilly

That roster is arguably better than what we have now and we would have two very good prospects to look forward to unlike the ZERO we have now.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Keep drowning yourself in alcohol thinking that a rebuilding is cup contender.
Who said anything about Cup contender. I would be happy if we could just 'contend'

How many years of mediocrity are you going to be happy with because you better get used to it with Sherman and Sacco around.

Closed Thread