HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 12:11 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
The problem going forward now that they can't trade O'Reilly for a defenseman for another year, is the 2013 group looks even worse in terms of offensive D.

Look at this group.

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?...D&fa_type_id=2

It's basically all aging 35+ year old guys, and Streit is really the only good one. I'm not all that crazy about Ian White, and Whitney's fallen completely off the map.

How are they gonna fix this any time soon? They don't have any real good assets to trade either, unless it's their 1st, and aside from Barrie and Elliott there's nothing that offensive in the pipeline. Anyone they draft is gonna take 4-5 years to really be at an effective top pairing level unless they get lucky.
We can obviously tell that Sherman has worked on the forward group and got the main piece for the defense. Now need to get the depth for the defense and I agree that it could take longer than expected. Smid would be a great starting point, he is like a better version of ROB, SOB, or Zanon. Underrated defenseman and should be our main target if Oiles don't re-sign him.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
We can obviously tell that Sherman has worked on the forward group and got the main piece for the defense. Now need to get the depth for the defense and I agree that it could take longer than expected. Smid would be a great starting point, he is like a better version of ROB, SOB, or Zanon. Underrated defenseman and should be our main target if Oiles don't re-sign him.
I don't think depth is their problem. I think he needs another main piece. It's becoming pretty clear that as good as EJ is all around, he may not have enough offensive production in him.

Swapping out certain depth guys like you mentioned for someone new is good too if they want, but I don't think that will really fix the problem.

Old
03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
I don't really care about the playoffs. If you follow my posting history, I am in the firm group of wanting to tank this year and I am not making friends with my opinion on the state of this team.
Without a doubt I want him mainly fired for sticking with Sacco which I find completely unacceptable. But the ROR fiasco comes second. Our mess at the backend is only the third best reason for me wanting him gone.

My problem is not that he let go of Mueller and Fleischmann. My problem is that he let them walk for free. Just go over to the FLA board or make a thread at the tradeboard and ask for Mueller or Fleischmann. Those guys are considered top5-8 in importance over there right now. And that hurts. If we wanted to reacquire them, we probably would have to give them Siemens or our 1st or something like that. And that is just bad asset management. Mueller was playing 32 games for us. Everyone could see that he was rusty and not in game shape. But everyone also had seen the potential he had. You don't let a guy like this go. Especially not if you can retain him dirt cheap. If you want to get rid of him, sign him to a cheap contract and trade him to Pittsburgh at the deadline if he looks halfway decent (and chances were that he woud).

I hate his asset management. He did some good things no doubt. But he let go of Liles for way to cheap and did nothing to replace him. I hated the Varlamov gamble. It turned out great. But it was too much of a risk for the second worst team of the previous year.

I want PL and his cronies out of this organisation. That includes Sherman. Oh and his interview after matching the offersheet was a disgrace....
This is the personification of hindsight. No one would have given up anything of value for either one of those guys. They were just too big an injury risk, and they've only been healthy for two months.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
You're right.
I just checked your profile, and it says, "JoemAvs has not made any friends yet"
You are mean . I don't like you *sniff*

@ Foppa: How is that hindsight if I hated it the second it was announced? Flash was a risk yes. But one I might have taken considering his chemistry with Duchene. But that is maybe excusable. Mueller to me is not. We invested big time in him and did not qualify him right when he seemed to get back on track or atleast when he was healthy. How did that make sense? It is not like he wouldve gotten a big contract from anyone...
And if he got concussed again, he wouldve gone to LTIR and we probably would not even have to pay him.
Mueller was a high pick that played great for us. Yeah his health was an issue but if one team could afford to take gambles like this it would be the Avs....

Old
03-04-2013, 01:19 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
You are mean . I don't like you *sniff*

@ Foppa: How is that hindsight if I hated it the second it was announced? Flash was a risk yes. But one I might have taken considering his chemistry with Duchene. But that is excusable. Mueller to me is not. We invested big time in him and did not qualify him right when he seemed to get back on track or atleast when he was healthy. How did that make sense? It is not like he wouldve gotten a big contract from anyone...
And if he got concussed again, he wouldve gone to LTIR and we probably would not even have to pay him.
Mueller was a high pick that played great for us. Yeah his health was an issue but if one team could afford to take gambles like this it would be the Avs....
You said you weren't upset that Sherman didn't keep them, but that he didn't get anything for him. They had almost no value in that last season, so there wasn't anything he could have got for them.

They've only built up some value now because they're scoring, but Mueller's only really been healthy for two months. He could be right around the corner from another concussion who knows, and then he'd be right back to having no value.

Both those guys were big risks for the Avs, and in the case of Mueller they had given him lots of chances to stay healthy. In the case of Flash it was such a weird injury risk, and potentially life threatening, that why mess with it? Clearly the Altitude played a factor because he almost had a re-occurrence in his one game back in Denver last year.

At some point you just have to turn the page and move on as an organization, and they did so well opening up their spots, along with Winnik and Gali's for guys like Landy, PAP, McGinn, and Downie.

Old
03-04-2013, 01:32 PM
JoemAvs

Quote:
You said you weren't upset that Sherman didn't keep them, but that he didn't get anything for him. They had almost no value in that last season, so there wasn't anything he could have got for them.

They've only built up some value now because they're scoring, but Mueller's only really been healthy for two months. He could be right around the corner from another concussion who knows, and then he'd be right back to having no value.

Both those guys were big risks for the Avs, and in the case of Mueller they had given him lots of chances to stay healthy. In the case of Flash it was such a weird injury risk, and potentially life threatening, that why mess with it? Clearly the Altitude played a factor because he almost had a re-occurrence in his one game back in Denver last year.

At some point you just have to turn the page and move on as an organization, and they did so well opening up their spots, along with Winnik and Gali's for guys like Landy, PAP, McGinn, and Downie.
I said or at least meant that I would not have been upset if he did not have them in his longterm plan. You bet that I was mightily upset when he let them walk (or not really make an effort to keep them) or not extend a QO. I hated this. At that time they were FAs. So they had not much value. I have read about Fleischmann being cleared by doctors. In the same story it was indicated that Flash would have at least thought about coming back if the Avs bothered to negotiate. I dislike it but I kind of understood it a little bit. Still could have signed him and afterwards dealt him off if his health was worse in Denver than somewhere else. And you could probably have gotten a small asset out of it. At worst he goes to LTIR.
The one that really pissed me off is Mueller. He was not getting much money after missing that much time. We waited for him. Why not give him another year to prove himself?He was a RFA...
If you don't want him longterm and he is doing fine, sell him off for good value at the deadline.
And you can always LTIR him and than let him walk if he hurts himself again. Almost no risk potential high reward move. And he refused to QO him...
Giving up on him at that point when he just got healthy again was putrid assetmanagement.
We have 3 capable centers that need wingers for gods sake. If we can gamble on Jones health and on our putrid D, we can also gamble on a 24 yr old that looked like the most talented forward out there next to Duchene before Blake screwed him up....

Old
03-04-2013, 02:02 PM
cgf

Quote:
I don't think depth is their problem. I think he needs another main piece. It's becoming pretty clear that as good as EJ is all around, he may not have enough offensive production in him.

Swapping out certain depth guys like you mentioned for someone new is good too if they want, but I don't think that will really fix the problem.
I'm sorry, but how is EJ cleaning up for everybody on the ice tell us anything about what kind of offensive production we'd get from him with a quality partner that did some of that for him? His best partner has been Ryan Wilson, who I like, but who makes a lot of mistakes and leaves himself out of position, and that's the best guy EJ's gotten to work with. You can't run the offense and cover everyone's ass at the same time. If he every learns to utilize his shot and gets a good partner EJ can still be an absolute force, and if he doesn't learn to utilize his shot and just gets a quality partner he'll still a very productive player on a pairing that would be able to shut down top lines on the regs.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:07 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Mules and flash only have decent numbers in Florida because they don't have much fire power on the top two lines. They'd be third liners on good teams.

In hindsight I'd rather mules than jones though.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:08 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I think it's too early to judge EJ's offensive output, but I have not been impressed with him on the PP and he always gets his point shot blocked that before his injury you can tell he has absolutely no confidence when shooting the puck or when to the shoot the puck.

It could be a mixture of things, like having a bad coach, lack of confidence, lack of partner, and (the worst and hope not) toolbox with no tools.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:16 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

EJ is the classic all the tools no toolbox sort of player. He has every physical skill you could want, and a hell of a mean streak when he gets pissed off. For whatever reason he has not put it together yet. I'm afraid that if he doesn't do it soon, he never will. At worst he is a #2 shut down guy that could look really good next to a top pairing offensive defensemen (a Brian Campbell sort of player), so I will be happy with him regardless.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I'm sorry, but how is EJ cleaning up for everybody on the ice tell us anything about what kind of offensive production we'd get from him with a quality partner that did some of that for him? His best partner has been Ryan Wilson, who I like, but who makes a lot of mistakes and leaves himself out of position, and that's the best guy EJ's gotten to work with. You can't run the offense and cover everyone's ass at the same time. If he every learns to utilize his shot and gets a good partner EJ can still be an absolute force, and if he doesn't learn to utilize his shot and just gets a quality partner he'll still a very productive player on a pairing that would be able to shut down top lines on the regs.
I agree. I've said this for a long time, that I think his offense will grow with a more offensive partner. It would be the Avs version of a Seabrook - Keith or Suter - Weber. That's what they need to target as their top priority, and it sounded like Sherman was targeting that for a potential O'Reilly trade.

Without that kind of partner though, I don't see EJ consistently putting up enough points to have the kind of production this team needs. I'm also not sure how well he'd do playing a pure shutdown guy allowing him to open things up offensively. I don't think he has enough offensive vision to put up a lot of points on his own, that's why he needs an offensive partner to help him out in that regard, and they can set each other up and feed of each other nicely both offensively and defensively.

Old
03-04-2013, 02:55 PM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Quote:
I think it's too early to judge EJ's offensive output, but I have not been impressed with him on the PP and he always gets his point shot blocked that before his injury you can tell he has absolutely no confidence when shooting the puck or when to the shoot the puck.

It could be a mixture of things, like having a bad coach, lack of confidence, lack of partner, and (the worst and hope not) toolbox with no tools.
I honestly feel that it's this. He is having trouble getting the puck through, and before his injury when he would get the puck on the PP he would seemingly hesitate, long enough for any potential shot to be gone.

I think he has the tools to be a good Offensive guy on the backend, but as I've stated before, I don't mind it at all if he wants to concentrate on being a Defensive Defenseman first. He's got a hell of a shot, and he just needs to get some work done on getting it through, when he does, that Point Shot is going to be respected.

I really think it would help, on the PP at least, if he had one of Barrie or Elliott on the otherside, Elliott specifically has that deadly Wrister that teams would have to respect as well.

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
Old
03-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Avs71

Quote:

His rookie season he had 18 PP points, playing 3:44 a game on the PP.
Sophomore season he had 15 pp points, playing 3:19 a game on the PP.
3rd season he had 10 PP points playing, playing 2:43 on the PP.
4th season he had 12 PP points playing, playing 2:19 on the PP.

Looks like more PP time may be part of the problem. Unless he just got less creative on the powerplay each year.

His shooting percentage has also gone from 5.08 % over his first three seasons (5,10,8 goals) to 2.27% this season and last. That's a pretty significant difference. I don't get how your shot just gets that much worse. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he started scoring under a new coach with a better system.

I'm hoping while being out he watched some of the games. It would be ironic if a concussion helped him with the mental part of the game, but perhaps watching a bit will help him. Similar to last year after he came back from that groin injury.

edit: after watching his goals from the last few years. They are all one timers, or him actually being mobile and either walking the line or coming down into the slot. If he is going to start scoring again, he either needs to get moving with that puck or start getting put in positions for one timers. If memory serves me correct, he doesn't take many one timers with the Avs. He does way too many stationary slapshots, which are incredibly easy to block. I really don't see why he isn't just a shooter on the powerplay.

Last edited by Avs71: 03-05-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old
03-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Foppa2118

The summer after next season is going to be insane. It's really going to put Sherman's long term plan to the test. This is what they'll be facing.

RFA's

Varlamov
O'Reilly
Landeskog
Duchene
McGinn
Olver
Elliott
Barrie

UFA's

Stastny
Downie
Mitchell
Zanon
Hunwick
Giguere

Old
03-05-2013, 03:06 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
edit: after watching his goals from the last few years. They are all one timers, or him actually being mobile and either walking the line or coming down into the slot. If he is going to start scoring again, he either needs to get moving with that puck or start getting put in positions for one timers. If memory serves me correct, he doesn't take many one timers with the Avs. He does way too many stationary slapshots, which are incredibly easy to block. I really don't see why he isn't just a shooter on the powerplay.
Thanks for the stats, so it shows that he is proven for goals and points. I personally think that it is a mixture of Sacco and the his system. First, Sacco doesn't give him 1st PP unit minutes and that could be because of his lack of confidence earlier in the season. Second is Sacco being retarded and not putting him on the left point during the PP. Everyone knows Stamkos's shot and cover him like a fat guy in a bakery, but yet he keeps on scoring why? One is because the position he is in is hard to cover and another reason is because St. Louis and others on team have fantastic passing ability. Something our team has lacked for quite some time.

Quote:
The summer after next season is going to be insane. It's really going to put Sherman's long term plan to the test. This is what they'll be facing.

RFA's

Varlamov
O'Reilly
Landeskog
Duchene
McGinn
Olver
Elliott
Barrie

UFA's

Stastny
Downie
Mitchell
Zanon
Hunwick
Giguere

Sherman definitely planned for it to be this way, so he knows what he is doing. With that said I am too a bit scared of not having the ability to re-sign all these players.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

Sherman definitely planned for it to be this way, so he knows what he is doing. With that said I am too a bit scared of not having the ability to re-sign all these players.
There could potentially be a lot of change. Duchene, Landy, Varly, and McGinn will all probably warrant healthy raises. Who know's what's going to happen with O'Reilly.

My guess is they probably let Staz, Mitchell, Zanon, and Hunwick walk, and Giggy retires.

With some likely trades and signings going down before that point, this is probably going to look like a completely different team going into 2014-15, and probably with a fairly big payroll.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:26 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:

RFA's

Varlamov
O'Reilly
Landeskog
Duchene
McGinn
Olver
Elliott
Barrie

UFA's

Stastny
Downie
Mitchell
Zanon
Hunwick
Giguere

It'll be a challenge for sure, but I don't know how hard this will really be, aside from the 5 big contract guys: Duchene, O'R, Landeskog, Varlamov, Stastny.

Yes, if you look at the current high-spending successful teams, they all have no more than four $5.5Mish+ salaries on the roster. A couple of teams are doing it with three such salaries, and Chicago has somehow managed to squeeze in five of them, but I think four is probably the number to shoot towards - and this assumes that the Avs will be willing to spend towards the cap limit.

So, I think a given three the Avs will have to pay that amount, are Varlamov, Duchene, Landeskog. Then, they can pay either Stastny or O'Reilly that amount also, but not both. So, one of the two is likely going to be traded prior to your timeframe, IMO.

Then, there are the two players who'll likely make solid money, but not top money: McGinn and Downie. McGinn is a good player, and will probably sign a $3-4M contract, given recent production. Again, I think it's doable. Downie? Who knows? It totally depends on next season. I could see him anywhere from $3M/year, to the Avs letting him go due to injury, ala Mueller. But not impossible to sign at all.

Then we have the young, yet-to-be-fully proven guys: Elliott and Barrie. They shouldn't be too hard to resign to bridge contracts, unless one of them absolutely explodes next season.

Then, we have the old guys and scrubs. This is easy. Olver, Mitchell, Zanon, and Hunwick are all easily replaceable (or to-be-unwanted) players, so I don't view any of these as a big deal. In fact, Mitchell's really the only one of those 4 that I'd even want. Giguere will be 37 years old at the end of his contract, and it shouldn't be too hard to either replace him with a younger goaltender in the organization, another early 30s backup goaltender floating around the NHL, or simply let him leave and go into retirement or whatever.

So to me, the bulk of this challenge, is to A) figure out which 4 of the 5 big money guys the team is going to keep, and B) sign them to reasonable contracts under a salary cap.

So, onto the mathematics:

Current existing salaries for that season: $20M
Four big-name salaries - assume $6M per for each: $24M
McGinn/Downie - assume $7M for both: $7M
Elliott/Barrie - assume $5M for both: $5M

That puts the Avs at a ~$56M cap number, with the following lines signed:

Landeskog-Duchene-McGinn
Jones- O'R or Stastny -Parenteau
Downie - ??? - ???
McLeod - ??? - ???

Wilson-EJ
Barrie-Hejda
SOB-???

Varlamov-???

Given a $64M cap, the Avs would have 6 regular spots and 3 bench spots unsigned, and about $8M in cap space to sign them. Totally doable with veterans and Erie promotions.

Now, I'm not sure how competitive said team will be. But I think they can fit things inside of the current cap limit. Where it gets really tough, is if they want a real 1st/2nd pairing defenseman from outside the organization. Then the math gets a lot tougher.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
It'll be a challenge for sure, but I don't know how hard this will really be, aside from the 5 big contract guys: Duchene, O'R, Landeskog, Varlamov, Stastny.

Yes, if you look at the current high-spending successful teams, they all have no more than four $5.5Mish+ salaries on the roster. A couple of teams are doing it with three such salaries, and Chicago has somehow managed to squeeze in five of them, but I think four is probably the number to shoot towards - and this assumes that the Avs will be willing to spend towards the cap limit.

So, I think a given three the Avs will have to pay that amount, are Varlamov, Duchene, Landeskog. Then, they can pay either Stastny or O'Reilly that amount also, but not both. So, one of the two is likely going to be traded prior to your timeframe, IMO.

Then, there are the two players who'll likely make solid money, but not top money: McGinn and Downie. McGinn is a good player, and will probably sign a $3-4M contract, given recent production. Again, I think it's doable. Downie? Who knows? It totally depends on next season. I could see him anywhere from $3M/year, to the Avs letting him go due to injury, ala Mueller. But not impossible to sign at all.

Then we have the young, yet-to-be-fully proven guys: Elliott and Barrie. They shouldn't be too hard to resign to bridge contracts, unless one of them absolutely explodes next season.

Then, we have the old guys and scrubs. This is easy. Olver, Mitchell, Zanon, and Hunwick are all easily replaceable (or to-be-unwanted) players, so I don't view any of these as a big deal. In fact, Mitchell's really the only one of those 4 that I'd even want. Giguere will be 37 years old at the end of his contract, and it shouldn't be too hard to either replace him with a younger goaltender in the organization, another early 30s backup goaltender floating around the NHL, or simply let him leave and go into retirement or whatever.

So to me, the bulk of this challenge, is to A) figure out which 4 of the 5 big money guys the team is going to keep, and B) sign them to reasonable contracts under a salary cap.

So, onto the mathematics:

Current existing salaries for that season: $20M
Four big-name salaries - assume $6M per for each: $24M
McGinn/Downie - assume $7M for both: $7M
Elliott/Barrie - assume $5M for both: $5M

That puts the Avs at a ~$56M cap number, with the following lines signed:

Landeskog-Duchene-McGinn
Jones- O'R or Stastny -Parenteau
Downie - ??? - ???
McLeod - ??? - ???

Wilson-EJ
Barrie-Hejda
SOB-???

Varlamov-???

Given a $64M cap, the Avs would have 6 regular spots and 3 bench spots unsigned, and about $8M in cap space to sign them. Totally doable with veterans and Erie promotions.

Now, I'm not sure how competitive said team will be. But I think they can fit things inside of the current cap limit. Where it gets really tough, is if they want a real 1st/2nd pairing defenseman from outside the organization. Then the math gets a lot tougher.
I think you're more or less right. The tricky part in my eyes will be that every hundred thousand or so out of your comfort zone you go with the top guys, including O'Reilly (if he's still here) could change the direction you go with a guy like Downie, or Mitchell, or the UFA route.

This will be a hell of a situation to plan out, and they're going to need to make a couple big decisions early on in the process. They'll probably need to just get Dutchy, Landy, and Varly locked up, and deal with the rest as it goes, but it could get very interesting, and potentially expensive if they're sticking hard to the O'Reilly benchmark.

It's unlikely the cap will stay at $64M IMO, so they'll probably have a little more wiggle room. Problem is all these guys are getting raises, and I think it's fair to say this team needs some outside help as it is, and a couple big pieces to really make them competitive and that will cost. They were approaching things slowly and set up kind of well to try and get some fair deals on these guys, but O'Reilly's greedy contract may have thrown a monkey wrench in the whole thing and they might have to pay top dollar for everyone, changing the direction they were going in.

There's just a lot of factors with that many unsigned guys, and each decision will have a bit of a butterfly effect on all the other ones in terms of how much they're willing to spend, and how many open spots do they need to fill via UFA.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:21 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:

RFA's

Varlamov
O'Reilly
Landeskog
Duchene
McGinn
Olver
Elliott
Barrie

UFA's

Stastny
Downie
Mitchell
Zanon
Hunwick
Giguere

Varly will get his payday. Hopefully O'Reilly can be negotiated down to 5M per otherwise ship him out. Landy will get a bridge deal worth probably 4ish. Duchene will get his payday. McGinn will get 2-2.5. Olver will get 950k or so. Elliot and Barrie will get around 1.5. Stastny depends on O'Reilly as well as if he will negoatiate down to 5-5.5. Downie will get a "prove it" contract at around the same as he's making. Mitchell, Zanon, and Hunwick will be let go and Giguere will retire.

Really not that difficult unless the RFAs wanna play hardball again.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:27 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

I know McGinn is RFA, but I very much doubt we can get him below 2.5M with a worse Jones sitting on 4.0M.

A bit scared that Downie will try the market. Just have a feeling that he didnt love getting traded here.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I know McGinn is RFA, but I very much doubt we can get him below 2.5M with a worse Jones sitting on 4.0M.

A bit scared that Downie will try the market. Just have a feeling that he didnt love getting traded here.
Can't imagine why--Landy/O'Reilly was a better fit for him than any other line he's been on.

Old
03-05-2013, 05:36 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

Same feeling on McGinn. McGinn's next contract will eat up some UFA time. I expect he will be in the 3-4m range.

Downie will have to impress next year to get a contract IMO, but I also get the feeling that he loves it here. He is at least well liked in the room. Though he would be great as a long term 3rd line RW. A Clowe-Sgarbossa-Downie line would be an absolute treat to watch. A couple of pests with skill and a wing that could protect them. Sherman... you hear me?

Old
03-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
Varly will get his payday. Hopefully O'Reilly can be negotiated down to 5M per otherwise ship him out. Landy will get a bridge deal worth probably 4ish. Duchene will get his payday. McGinn will get 2-2.5. Olver will get 950k or so. Elliot and Barrie will get around 1.5. Stastny depends on O'Reilly as well as if he will negoatiate down to 5-5.5. Downie will get a "prove it" contract at around the same as he's making. Mitchell, Zanon, and Hunwick will be let go and Giguere will retire.

Really not that difficult unless the RFAs wanna play hardball again.
Ha! Yea not difficult at all. Except if McGinn keeps playing the way he has he'll get more than $2.5M, you're being awfully optimistic with O'Reilly and Stastny negotiating down, Landy probably won't get a bridge deal, if Elliott or Barrie start producing points they'll get more than $1.5M, and there's no way Downie takes a "prove it" deal as a UFA.

Old
03-05-2013, 06:01 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:

a)Jones was a UFA. They tend to cost more.
b)When was the last time McGinn scored 27 goals?

His current contract is 1.75M. Why do you think a 43% raise is out of the question? He's on pace for a whopping 12 goals in a full 82 game season. Unless he somehow breaks out next year...

Old
03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
a)Jones was a UFA. They tend to cost more.
b)When was the last time McGinn scored 27 goals?

His current contract is 1.75M. Why do you think a 43% raise is out of the question? He's on pace for a whopping 12 goals in a full 82 game season. Unless he somehow breaks out next year...
I just wrote that I knew Jones was an UFA and McGinn RFA.

I dont think he could demand 4.0M now, cause, he haven't scored 27 goals. Like you said. But I'm pretty sure he'd be in that area next season.

Yes he is on pace for 12 goals this season. Or.. on pace for 50 points. Depends what you wanna say.

I'm pretty sure he will break the 25 goals limit next season. Especially if we play him in the top 6.

Closed Thread