HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stl - Was

Old
06-05-2009, 05:44 PM
mr faux pas

vCash: 500
Stl - Was

Steen

for

Lepisto
2nd

Caps improve their center depth and get someone who could skate on the 2nd line if Nylander's poor play continues. The Blues get a good puck-moving D prospect who's ready to crack the NHL and a 2nd rounder in a deep draft.

Honestly, I don't know how valuable Steen is to the Blues, or exactly what the Blues need, so I'm just kinda testing the waters here. If the value is way off or something, please don't be offended, just suggest a better trade.

mr faux pas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I'd do it simply to open up the roster spot that Steen currently occupies. He was OK last season and a decent defensive-forward, but he certainly didn't wow the organization once he arrived from Toronto. He was an average, dime-a-dozen player.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:12 PM

Not worth it from Washington's perspective. Not enough production to warrant the 2nd round pick with a prospect. That said, I can see GMGM moving Lepisto for a gritty player who will crash the net, and can play along the boards. Obviously not Steen in this case.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:14 PM
BlueBeard

The Blues mainly use Steen as a winger on our shut down line. He fills the role very nicely but I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable by any means.

Tell us Blues fans more about Lepisto puck moving d-men are a need for us. This could be a reasonable deal. And I applaud you for not targeting one of the "kids".

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:24 PM
mr faux pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
The Blues mainly use Steen as a winger on our shut down line. He fills the role very nicely but I wouldn't say he's irreplaceable by any means.

Tell us Blues fans more about Lepisto puck moving d-men are a need for us. This could be a reasonable deal. And I applaud you for not targeting one of the "kids".
He's a smooth-skating Finnish defenseman who does the outlet pass well. Honestly, I think the Caps would be good to keep him but I'm not sure they have room for him and Boudreau doesn't seem to like him much.

Here's HF's write-up on him from this spring:

Acquired: Drafted, 66th overall, 2004

Lepisto's already had two cracks at the NHL roster so far, with a pair of seven-game stints under his belt. However, he's been suffering from a spleen injury that's kept him out of the playoffs so far.

In 70 games with the Bears, the Finn has four goals and 38 assists. This year, with the Caps, he added four assists in those seven games. At 6'1, Lepisto's got good size for a blueliner and his skating has been more than adequate. He's been a key offensive cog on the bears, and with significant international experience under his belt -- most recently last year's World Championships -- he's not easily rattled on the blue line. Lepisto's got a good chance of cracking the NHL roster for an extended period of time next year.

Old
06-05-2009, 06:30 PM
mr faux pas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey442 View Post
Not worth it from Washington's perspective. Not enough production to warrant the 2nd round pick with a prospect. That said, I can see GMGM moving Lepisto for a gritty player who will crash the net, and can play along the boards. Obviously not Steen in this case.
No, Steen wouldn't be the net crasher, was more thinking of a potential second line center in case Fedorov doesn't come back. Steen's supposed to have good hockey sense and he put up decent numbers his rookie year but hasn't done much offensively since then it seems. Maybe he'd work in Boudreau's system. Since he has a low salary and is only signed for next season, it could be a low-risk, high-reward move. With plenty of probability for low reward as well, but worst case scenario he helps improve the PK.

But maybe the 2nd is too much. Lepisto for Steen straight up, or maybe add in a Caps' 3rd or 4th.

Old
06-05-2009, 10:42 PM
sh724

I couldnt see the blues making this deal the blues are already going to have to keep deserving kids in the AHL bc of not having room on the roster, and adding another dman isnt going to help.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 12:11 AM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

If you take McKee, Blues like it. :]

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 02:26 AM
backs4mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr faux pas View Post
No, Steen wouldn't be the net crasher, was more thinking of a potential second line center in case Fedorov doesn't come back. Steen's supposed to have good hockey sense and he put up decent numbers his rookie year but hasn't done much offensively since then it seems. Maybe he'd work in Boudreau's system. Since he has a low salary and is only signed for next season, it could be a low-risk, high-reward move. With plenty of probability for low reward as well, but worst case scenario he helps improve the PK.

But maybe the 2nd is too much. Lepisto for Steen straight up, or maybe add in a Caps' 3rd or 4th.
That would be Laich.

The caps would be adding 1.7mil to their salary, they'd be better off bringing up Bourque for 700k and using the 1mil in savings towards improving their D or towards top 6 winger.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 02:45 AM
um

i think its perfect

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 03:18 AM
El Maestro

A s a Caps fan I think I would do it.