HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patience: Fleury and Price

Old
06-05-2009, 08:37 AM
neofury*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
I'm watching the Wing-Pens and thinking back a couple years when Fleury had a bit of a rough patch. He's now a very solid goalie who's on the brink of greatness. I think we should show some patience with our young players and in particular Price. Montreal has a history of eating our young and not allowing them to develop at a proper rate. If it means waiting a couple years to challenge so we can challenge perennially then so be it. I know alot of you will say we've been patient enough and want to retool but I do think we're on the right track with our young players.
PATIENT? LOL no we haven't.

I think people often times don't realize, other teams keep their players in the AHL for sometime before bringing them up, we lately have this habit of bringing players up too fast though imo. Guys like Price, Kost bro's, heck even Plek and Higgins are still younger guys. I know Plek isn't that young, but how many full seasons have these guys played? Don't pull out your torches and pitchforks just yet guys, Price still has a chance to be great he just needs time. Imo dumping him or Halak could both be huge mistakes.

While I agree having a veteran goalie would be ideal, dumping one of our two goalies who imo have a lot of potential would just be plain stupid. If anything we need a new goalie coach, a good one at that.

To me, I think Price is starting to look a lot like Fleury.

I remember back when Fleury sucked guys, come on think back, the guy actually used to suck. I remember pens fans hating on that guy so much thinking he was a bust and look now.

Btw I predicted Pens in 6, starting to look viable now

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 08:40 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolt View Post
and andrei was taken 10th and sergei was taken 200th, thus making andrei 20 times better
LOL that reminds me of 24morecupsthanyou's logic, that guy was a real tool.

One time in a thread talking about the Sedin's, he brought up how Andrei outproduced Daniel in his 1st seasons and that because of that, that means Andrei will turn out to be an even better player then Daniel Sedin one day. To me that sounds like the most flawed logic ever rofl. He was basically trying to say, look at the sedin's stats vs the kosty bro's, that means in 4 years the kosty bro's will both be 100pt guys.

Old
06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZeus View Post
Fleury has been pretty average so far in the series, he gave some pretty weak goals, gave some bad rebounds and has a tough time outside of the net.. The Pens have a hell of hockey machine, alot of powerfire offensively, the goaltender hasnt been an issue for Pittsburg to make the final, neither for Detroit with Osgood in net.. Unless its a guy like Lalime, Thibeault and some other backup fillers in net, both teams have are the ones who deserve to be there.. Put Fleury with the Habs against Boston and we would have been destroyed even more..

Fleury won Pittsburgh game 3, if it wasn't for him the team may have been swept. He also had 37 saves in game 4 today...

If you go back to game 7 against the caps, Fleury made a huge save on Ovechkin's breakaway before Pittsburgh started their blowout.

Even though Fleury let in some bad goals, which goalie doesn't ?

As for Osgood, I haven't really watched Detroit's games until the finals but I'm sure Detroit fans would argue that Osgood has been a pick part in helping the team get to the finals.
Seriously, in each game I saw Fleury had like 35-40+ saves rofl. Or at the very least he was being shelled with like 40+ shots.

I've even seen Detroit having 19-20 shots in the first period on him and it's a 1-1 game still. Come on, the guy is good, he's no Brodeur but he is good and people quickly forget his last year playoff stats which were good too, that and the fact that: Who are Pittsburgh's D again? kthx

Last edited by neofury*: 06-05-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old
06-05-2009, 08:50 AM
otto bond

[QUOTE=neofury;19804889]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomZeus View Post

Seriously, in each game I saw Fleury had like 35-40+ saves rofl. Or at the very least he was being shelled with like 40+ shots.

I've even seen Detroit having 19-20 shots in the first period on him and it's a 1-1 game still. Come on, the guy is good, he's no Brodeur but he is good and people quickly forget his last year playoff stats which were good too, that and the fact that: Who are Pittsburgh's D again? kthx
For a goalie, it's all about getting that hot streak. The different between Price and most of all the goalies out there(Fleury, Mason and other young goalies) is that he is watched ,talked, critisized and analized game in and game out. Those other guys where able to have a bad game where no one cared. Price on the other hand has not been given that same treatment. Who is better? Who will win more cups?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
neofury*

LOL since I quoted his misquoted post it glitch mine and then otto quoted mine and it glitched even worse... lol

Btw Reuben, I lived in D.D.O. for like 10 years and know plenty of people in D.D.O. who know their stuff in regards to hockey. I don't go to Toronto, listen to 5-10 people I know talk hockey and then say ppl from TO are ****ed in the head with regards to hockey knowledge, then again you never did say that directly but I do feel it was implied.

Old
06-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
They are 2 great young goalies but Price will probably never have a team like MAF in front of him.The Penguins defense isn't great but neither is the Habs one.

It's close but you gotta give Price at least another full season

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Puckhead58*

If only we had Fleury in our net....we'd be all set. At least he get into the game and does what it takes to stop the puck. If Price can't stop the puck with the butterfly, then its in the net and then he blames his defence.

I want a battler, someone who jumps dives and gets whatever he can in front of the puck to keep it out of the net. Price is a decent goalie, but he's too predictable in net. He goes down on every shot....all you have to do is shoot high or deke and its in the net. Hopefully he can improve and change his game and attitude....but we'll see soon enough I guess.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:13 AM
Burgs

If I may add my 2 cents, just be patient with Price. The kid has all the talent in the world, was a winner in juniors and minors and is now one of the brightest young goalies in the league. Montreal is probably the toughest place for him, with your crazy media and the Roy comparisons. But be patient, support him and eventually he will come through for you.

I think Price is more advanced than Fleury was at the same age. Then again, the Pens mishandled MAFs development a whole lot. Rushed him to the NHL when he was still far too raw and had him shell-shocked behind an awful defense. Yanked him back and forth between NHL and AHL to avoid paying him full money. Didn't hire a full-time goalie coach for him until Shero gave the job to Gilles Meloche. Therrien was very tough on him in Wilkes-Barre and repeatedly pulled him from playoff games. Fleury is a pretty upbeat, happy-go-lucky guy, even after all of that. And even now at 24 he's still very inconsistent. But we hung with him and he's played a big role in our two runs to the final now.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
If only we had Fleury in our net....we'd be all set. At least he get into the game and does what it takes to stop the puck. If Price can't stop the puck with the butterfly, then its in the net and then he blames his defence.

I want a battler, someone who jumps dives and gets whatever he can in front of the puck to keep it out of the net. Price is a decent goalie, but he's too predictable in net. He goes down on every shot....all you have to do is shoot high or deke and its in the net. Hopefully he can improve and change his game and attitude....but we'll see soon enough I guess.
We would be set for what whit Fleury in nets?The kid is playing good hockey but also has a great hockey machine in front of him.Put Fleury in nets with the Habs 40+ saves a night you would easily think otherwise.Fleury is one of the worst goalies in the league at rebound control,every shot there is a rebound in the slot.

I think you should be a little patient with Price,don't forget he's only 22 years old and has been in the league less then Fleury who wasn't very good early in his career in Pittsburgh.So far Price has won more then Fleury in terms of awards

Old
06-05-2009, 10:36 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Fleury doesn't have the physical package and puck handling skills that Price has.

If you nurture Price and bring him along properly, he's going to be one of the most dominant goalies in the league.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:56 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Oh, and Le Tricolore, for one second, I thought you were serious...
You're slow.. it took me 0 seconds.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:57 AM
la25ecoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We would be set for what whit Fleury in nets?The kid is playing good hockey but also has a great hockey machine in front of him.Put Fleury in nets with the Habs 40+ saves a night you would easily think otherwise.Fleury is one of the worst goalies in the league at rebound control,every shot there is a rebound in the slot.
Halak: "Hello?"

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Reuben

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Halak is a good goalie but they guy has minimal pressure on him compared to Price. something people fail to realize and something ive never seen mentioned. carey has the weight of the world on his shoulders while Halak has virtually none. surely this has to make a big difference especially mentally.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Danadiens

vCash: 1450
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Fleury has been pretty average so far in the series, he gave some pretty weak goals, gave some bad rebounds and has a tough time outside of the net.. The Pens have a hell of hockey machine, alot of powerfire offensively, the goaltender hasnt been a factor for Pittsburg to make the final, neither for Detroit with Osgood in net.. Unless its a guy like Lalime, Thibeault and some other backup fillers in net, both teams are the ones who deserve to be there.. Put Fleury with the Habs against Boston and we would have been destroyed even more..

Most hilarous comment Ive read for a while on this board.. Price was outstanding in the first half of the season where he made the difference in alot of games.. In the second half, the team was playing so bad in front of him that we looked like an AHL team some nights, our goaltenders were abused every games 40+ shots per game and we were giving alot of quality scoring chances.. Price didnt look good in the second half, but the way his teammates were playing in front of him was even worst.. Got better at the end of the season and was ready for the playoffs, I thought he was excellent against the Bruins, I dont recall 1 goal where you can say he was weak and made some great saves to keep us in the games.. But at the end, the best team won and deserved it, Bruins have been working extremmely hard since Julien has been hired, I give him full credit for their spectacular season and the way they kicked our ass in the first round, it was a great hockey lesson we should have learnt from..

Price's technic is already top notch, just give him something that you can call a team in front of him and you will see a wonderful talent blossoming.. Personally Im not a big Fleury fan, even if he win the cup this year, there are plenty of Pens I would give credit for before Fleury... Saying Fleury is 5 times better than Price is quite ridiculous, put Fleury in the net for the Habs in the second half of the season and believe me he would have looked bad as well.. Put Price with the Pens and their playoffs run would have been easier..
There's a little something that tells me he was joking... just a little something.

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:15 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Fleury was taken 1st overall... Price was 5th.

Fleury is five times better than Price is.
Talent wise, they are about the same. Fleury has a definite edge on speed, and glove, though. Fleury also spent more time at AHL level to polish his overall game.

The main difference seems between the ears, and off ice "activities"...
Fleury seems just more mature and mentally solid.

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 06-05-2009 at 11:23 AM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
we are talking about Price and Fleury

Old
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
They get paid to talk about the team so its makes sense for them to talk about them. what doesn't make sense is people around here getting there panties in knot everytime someone in the media, talk radio, tv talk shows talks about the habs.
we see threads about this and that so called media guy almost daily. Yeah they say silly things sometimes and so do alot of people around here the difference is some people are getting paid to talk about the habs the others aren't but likely wish they were. I believe most of these people actually care and pull for the habs outside of the former nords types and PJ.

Um if you go to other arenas or even watch other games on tv you'll see fans howling for penalties everytime someone from there team falls down, its not unusual or exclusive to Montreal. Nor is the Players bashing the rangers are arguably worse on individual players than habs fans are. heck even read around here how many people bash our own players and im not talking about critism either. they are different things to me. neither are the booing of anthems along with a wide variety of other things montreal seems to get singled out for. People ***** about the montreal/quebec media but the the toronto/national(they are one and the same basically) media are just as bad towards the habs. imo Oh and they make up plenty of rumors as also and even report uncomfirmed stories from the Montreal media as well. strange how the quebec media gets held to a different standard by certain folks while they completely ignore bs from other places besides eklund. I've seen plenty of garbage from other media outlets yet where are all the threads?

a good example is with Price how the Toronto/National media basically tore him a new one essentialy laying all the blame at his feet. yet when other goalies which I won't name are even worse, they say things like oh his defence hung him out to dry etc etc. to me they are an even bigger joke with how the cover the habs and the constant double standards they like to employ. it's likely cause tsn/cbc/sportsnet and the score seem to share one brain. I really noticed this lately when they interviewed our new coach and all 4 stations asked the exact same question to tee then wondered why he gave such a boring interview and said he has no personality. It's like DUH what do you expect when you ask the the same friggin question over and over again. not to mention i know for sure at least 2 of the producers for hockey on the mentioned stations are anti hab and it shows. Yet i rarely hear any whining about them why the **** is that? I can take a guess but i wont bother. Most of these people dont give a **** about the habs and in fact they seem to like to undermine them and poke fun at them whenever they get the chance.

But anyhow My Issue is people around here spend as much or more time talking about the " evil french media" than they do about hockey and the actual hockey team. It's kinda obsurd actually. some of you guys eat this stuff up for some reason.

I didnt check for typos and errors so some stuff may not make sense.
Montréal media is paid to follow the habs. Sportsnet and other news outlets in Ontario and other places are basically paid to follow whichever team is in their region first, do a solid report on them, then who gives a flying **** about the rest.

Before, I hated pretty much every media outlet the same, except for Tsn and some of the CBC members.

Whenever a team is targeted like Montréal was this year, I see other media outlets defend their team. In Montréal, nah, attack the team more.

Yes, every team's fan base boos when they think there should have been a penalty and hell, other fan bases are pretty childish when they start chanting "Ref you suck" In Montréal, you hit someone harder than normal, they boo and want a penalty. Not too mention the sing Ole ole ole at the most inappropriate times. It's quite amusing actually, I think that song helps the opposition more than the habs. It seems like every time they start to sing it the other team scores.

All I want is for people to shut the **** up, step back and try not to expect a cup every year, since the majority of us were born after the glory days of le glorieux.

I will agree with Tim Thomas when he told a CBC reporter after game 4 when questioned about the treatment of Price.

"Don't let it bother you. You're in the NHL and they're not" May not have gone exactly like that, but you get the jist of it.

Montréal Vs Boston. Top team in the east and almost the league vs a broken ass team. Price does well considering the circumstances and we never really had a chance to win the series, but Price gives up 4 ****ing goals and he gets boo'd

Vancouver Vs Chicago. Vancouver had gotten out to a 2 games to 1 lead before letting it slip away. They had multiple leads in game 6 but couldn't hold them. Luongo lets in 7 goals in a game Vancouver should have had and a series they had a good chance of winning. Even though they're in Chicago people don't unmercifully bash him.

The second the fans of this team wake up and realize A) Montréal can't gather up all the skilled Quebecois players in the league because of cap and the fact that they don't even want to play for the habs and B) It's not as easy as NHL 09 to score goals and win the cup. This fanbase will be a lot better.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

People who are down on Price for this year should a ****ing clue.

It's the first time he has to play as many games against top class competition and it's his second year, coming off a superb rookie year.

He didn't take this season as seriously as he probably should of, since he probably thought it'd be like the year before.

Those are sophomore slumps. You think you've got it figured out, but you don't. Especially after a hot start, he didn't take the injury thing as seriously as he should of. Not to mention the horrible D, which didn't help him get back into rythm and get his confidence back.

They took him 5th overall, not only because of the talent/size combo, but also because he has solid mental balance and wants to be the best he can.

This year, a lot of haters are going to be hiding in dark corners.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:16 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
There's a little something that tells me he was joking... just a little something.
Yeah, I havent been very quick on this one lol.. shame on me..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 01:01 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben View Post
Halak is a good goalie but they guy has minimal pressure on him compared to Price. something people fail to realize and something ive never seen mentioned. carey has the weight of the world on his shoulders while Halak has virtually none. surely this has to make a big difference especially mentally.

Thats all the more reason to play Halak more. He has no pressure on him so let him play and take some of the pressure off Price until Price gets his game straightened out and can handle more pressure on him. Having a goaltending tandem is not a bad thing at all. Split the 82 games in the regular season, maybe give one goalie a few more starts if he is playing better and then go with the hot goalie in the playoffs.

That way both of them have the same amount of pressure on them, they are both competing with each other and helping each other out, they are both improving their individual games by getting lots of playing time and as a result, the Habs have 2 solid goalie that they can go to at any time and both of them are dirt cheap.

I hope Martin give Halak at least 30-35 games this season!!

Old
06-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Thats all the more reason to play Halak more. He has no pressure on him so let him play and take some of the pressure off Price until Price gets his game straightened out and can handle more pressure on him. Having a goaltending tandem is not a bad thing at all. Split the 82 games in the regular season, maybe give one goalie a few more starts if he is playing better and then go with the hot goalie in the playoffs.

That way both of them have the same amount of pressure on them, they are both competing with each other and helping each other out, they are both improving their individual games by getting lots of playing time and as a result, the Habs have 2 solid goalie that they can go to at any time and both of them are dirt cheap.

I hope Martin give Halak at least 30-35 games this season!!
I hope not, and I doubt Martin would permit it unless Price were injured. In 30-35+ games Halak would prove he is not #1 material and the Habs would be unlikely to get into the playoffs. They need a reenergized Price to get anywhere and he would have to start in at least 50-55 games. Incidentally, can anyone tell us about the selection of Marcoux as the new goaltender coach?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Bullsmith

Fleury and Price are very comparable, both have so much talent it's very hard to keep them out of the NHL from the day they're drafted almost, both were too young and had major flaws in their game (Fleury -positioning, rebound control..., Price - puck tracking, concentration, rebounding from letting in bad goals...)

Odds are Price remains an erratic goalie for years to come (hopefully improving meanwhile.)

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Fleury and Price are very comparable, both have so much talent it's very hard to keep them out of the NHL from the day they're drafted almost, both were too young and had major flaws in their game (Fleury -positioning, rebound control..., Price - puck tracking, concentration, rebounding from letting in bad goals...)

Odds are Price remains an erratic goalie for years to come (hopefully improving meanwhile.)
Most goalies become more consistent at around the age of 24-25.

All great goalies have had troubles in their early 20s, and Price and Fleury are far from an exception when it comes to goalies starting the NHL at an early age. Most greats did start early, and rather inconsistently, until their mid-20s.

I'm not the least worried about Price.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I hope not, and I doubt Martin would permit it unless Price were injured. In 30-35+ games Halak would prove he is not #1 material and the Habs would be unlikely to get into the playoffs. They need a reenergized Price to get anywhere and he would have to start in at least 50-55 games. Incidentally, can anyone tell us about the selection of Marcoux as the new goaltender coach?

Why do you think that??? What are you basing this on???

He was more consistant last season than Price was. Halak wasn't the top goalie in the AHL for 3 years in a row because he was lucky.....he's a good friggin goalie and he deserves his chance to shine. If anything, I'm willing to bet that Halak would take over the #1 role if he was given an honest chance to play. You can't play 3 out of every 12 games and be on top of your game. Price played 9 out of every 12 games and he wasn't sharp all season either. I don't get why people think Halak isn't capable of playing solid in the NHL.....he's been a great goalie for us since he was called up 3 years ago when Huet was hurt and Aebischer was rotten.

Old
06-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Why do you think that??? What are you basing this on???

He was more consistant last season than Price was. Halak wasn't the top goalie in the AHL for 3 years in a row because he was lucky.....he's a good friggin goalie and he deserves his chance to shine. If anything, I'm willing to bet that Halak would take over the #1 role if he was given an honest chance to play. You can't play 3 out of every 12 games and be on top of your game. Price played 9 out of every 12 games and he wasn't sharp all season either. I don't get why people think Halak isn't capable of playing solid in the NHL.....he's been a great goalie for us since he was called up 3 years ago when Huet was hurt and Aebischer was rotten.
That's because only the latter part of the season is fresh in your mind. Truth is, Price was more consistent than Halak last season, and was also more consistent in the season before (compared to Halak's rookie season).

First half of Price's season : highly consistent
First half of Halak's season : inconsistent
Second half of Price's season : inconsistent
Second half of Halak's season : mildly consistent

Also, Halak didn't get an injury like Price's, and that has to account for something in the balance.

In the first half of the season, Price was 16-4-5, 2,30 and ,920 save%. In the meantime, Halak was highly inconsistent. When Halak was given the reins, in anytime in his career, never showed the consistency Price showed in his rookie season, and in his 25 first games of the last season before he got injured. Yet Halak is older and more experienced.

Don't get me wrong, I like Halak, always have, but I see Price as better, with a much higher ceiling and that's without bias because I really like both players.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 06-05-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote