HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Hamilton support an NHL team

View Poll Results: Can Hamilton support an NHL hockey club
Yes 14 33.33%
No 28 66.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 01:39 PM
Coburnfan05

vCash: 500
Hamilton could definetly support an NHL team. Back when Ottawa was given a team we were in the running. We had pre sold over 75% of the buildings capacity for season tickets without knowing if we would have a team. The only reason we did not get a team is because of the greedy leaf and Sabres ownership. The thing I don't understand is regardless if there was a team in the hammer or not MLG or the ACC would have been still sold out and merchandise sales would have still been the same. It would have become a great rivalry.

And to the people out there who say we don't support the bulldogs, well with 2 NHL team aan hour away from our city most people would rather watch an NHL game over an AHL game. I remember hearing nearly 60 % of the Sabres season ticket holders were from southern ontario.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
Hamilton is a hole. Who's gonna buy all the season tickets, corporate boxes and whatnot that the team needs. Are people in Stoney Creek and Dundas and Niagara Falls going to shell out the tens of thousands of dollars for prime seating? Copps is a pretty crappy arena by NHL standards.

Think about it - if Ottawa can't sell out, how would Hamilton?
Hamilton is a hole, have you been to TO lately...Christ I can't walk down the street w/o someone bustin my chops for spare change.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:42 PM
Christ

The NHL would never allow Hamilton to have an NHL team for the simple fact that if Hamilton gets a team it would drain from the fanbase that they believe should go to Buffalo. I don't know the reasoning behind this but I have read this in several Buffalo and Tornoto newspapers over the past two years. My question is that if so much of the Buffalo fanbase is in Hamilton then why the heck not move the Sabres to Hamilton. It is not like fans in Buffalo show any real support for the team. When was the last time they had a sell-out when Toronto has not been playing them?

Old
03-25-2004, 01:43 PM
Christ

Christ I can't walk down the street w/o someone bustin my chops for spare change.[/QUOTE]

What do you want me to do about it?

Old
03-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Coburnfan05

^^^HA HA HA.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:49 PM
K.Pender

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
#1 - it's not like Hamilton would be able to have top prices that are a lot lower than they charge at the ACC...or the team wouldn't make any money!

#2 - oh yeah, let's use Buffalo, Pittsburgh and New Jersey as examples of how to run an NHL franchise in a dirt city...

Buffalo - went bankrupt this year, got bailed out by a billionaire, has no money to support a championship team.

Pittsburgh - was about to go bankrupt until their former star player bought them, their arena is falling apart, they traded all their high-priced talent and have the worst record in the league.

New Jersey - they win big and have their parade in a parking lot because they have no fanbase.
#1 - yes they could - it isn't hard - the Leafs charge top dollar because THEY CAN - they are the most profitable team in the NHL - and if you think an upstart team is even thinking about touching a piece of that kind of egotistical success you are dreaming. When you travel from TO to Buffalo the economic scale tilts severely - hell the Sabres are only a 90 minute drive from the Leafs - yet the ticket prices are almost 45% less - even with the exchange rate. The prices were low even when they were winning a few years back and were selling out. Do not compare "making realistic money" to "making Toronto Maple Leaf money" - 85% of the league would take half the profits the Leafs make and consider it a huge success.

#2 - RELAX - I was being a smart @ss man - I know the logistics of Hockey finance. Read the whole paragraph - I was basically saying "why would Bettman care about financial stability" he just wants more teams. He has trouble across the board with teams crumbling and losing money - yet his focus always turns to expansion.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Schenn02

NO because of the legalities associated with bringing a team so close to Toronto.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:45 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
The NHL would never allow Hamilton to have an NHL team for the simple fact that if Hamilton gets a team it would drain from the fanbase that they believe should go to Buffalo. I don't know the reasoning behind this but I have read this in several Buffalo and Tornoto newspapers over the past two years. My question is that if so much of the Buffalo fanbase is in Hamilton then why the heck not move the Sabres to Hamilton. It is not like fans in Buffalo show any real support for the team. When was the last time they had a sell-out when Toronto has not been playing them?
Vey interesting thought. If Buffalo can't support the team why not move it to Hamilton.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:53 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Hamilton could definetly support an NHL team. Back when Ottawa was given a team we were in the running. We had pre sold over 75% of the buildings capacity for season tickets without knowing if we would have a team. The only reason we did not get a team is because of the greedy leaf and Sabres ownership. The thing I don't understand is regardless if there was a team in the hammer or not MLG or the ACC would have been still sold out and merchandise sales would have still been the same. It would have become a great rivalry.

And to the people out there who say we don't support the bulldogs, well with 2 NHL team aan hour away from our city most people would rather watch an NHL game over an AHL game. I remember hearing nearly 60 % of the Sabres season ticket holders were from southern ontario.
This is why Toronto should keep the Baby Leafs in St. John's.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:00 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Hamilton is a hole, have you been to TO lately...Christ I can't walk down the street w/o someone bustin my chops for spare change.
I have lived in both Hamilton and Toronto. Hamilton is not as big of a hole as every one says. There is just more average hard working people living in Hamilton. Toronto has some pretty slummy areas compared to Hamilton.

Old
03-26-2004, 03:11 PM
richardn

I am surprsed by the results of this poll. I think the answer is very clear. Hamilton can support a team. The problem is getting Toronto and Buffalo to sign on the dotted line. If anyone deserves a team it is Hamilton. Southern Ontario has 40 percent of Canada's population so why cant they suppoty two teams 40 minutes a part. 2 hours depending on traffic, LOL. The roads are nice and clear out here.

Closed Thread