HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is lasalle a good area?

Old
06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Lasalle smells like chemicals. I also get lost every single time I go there. Otherwise it's ok.

I live in St-Henri and it's just fine. Most of the South/South-West areas get a bad rap but they aren't that bad. I never had any issues at all except for a few break-ins in my building that seem like isolated incidents. I leave my car on the street packed with hockey equipment and nobody's broken in or anything. Granted, I guess I live in the "better" part of St-Henri (St-Antoine and Rose-de-Lima) but still.

My sister lives in the point which gets a bad rap too but all she has to deal with are drunk old men roaming the streets.

Last night, in Verdun where my GF lives, I was driving back near the Atwater tunnel and some woman opens the door to my car and gets in, asking if I'm busy. I tell her that I'm very busy and she needs to get out right now. She had the meth scars all over her face. That was kinda sketch...But Verdun otherwise is OK.

I never had any issues at all with Lasalle other than the chemical smell.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:08 AM
zzoo

RELATIVITY is everything.
Of course, Montreal is a very nice city, you could live well in any neighborhood.

Roughly:
Top tier: Westmount, Outremont, TMR, Île-des-soeurs, Hamstead
Mid tier I: Plateau, St-Léonard, Beaconsfield, Kirland, Pointe-Claire, St-Laurent
Mid Tier II : Anjou, Ahuntic-Cartierville, NDG/Côte-des-Neiges, Côte-St-Luc, Lachine, RDP, Rosemont
Low tier: Verdun, Montreal North, Montreal East, St-Michel

Where should be Lasalle ?
I'd probably rank it in Mid Tier II.

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:09 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Lasalle smells like chemicals. I also get lost every single time I go there. Otherwise it's ok.

I live in St-Henri and it's just fine. Most of the South/South-West areas get a bad rap but they aren't that bad. I never had any issues at all except for a few break-ins in my building that seem like isolated incidents. I leave my car on the street packed with hockey equipment and nobody's broken in or anything. Granted, I guess I live in the "better" part of St-Henri (St-Antoine and Rose-de-Lima) but still.

My sister lives in the point which gets a bad rap too but all she has to deal with are drunk old men roaming the streets.

Last night, in Verdun where my GF lives, I was driving back near the Atwater tunnel and some woman opens the door to my car and gets in, asking if I'm busy. I tell her that I'm very busy and she needs to get out right now. She had the meth scars all over her face. That was kinda sketch...But Verdun otherwise is OK.

I never had any issues at all with Lasalle other than the chemical smell.
Friend of mines mom got drugged/***** by two guys in Verdun back in the day. I know this can happen anywhere but the point is it did happen in Verdun, and it is true that Verdun has a bad reputation for a reason.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:34 AM
coolasprICE

Dude you should check out NDG - monkland area.

Why?

Educated, bilingual and young. Nice classic victorian style duplexes with CHARM (having grown up in Chomedey too, I'm sure you'll be quick to appreciate). But you get what you pay for - see if it fits your budget. But it's cheaper than outremont for sure!

I use to live near Girouard and Monkland - 5 minute walk to Vila Maria metro - cafes and restaurants on Monkland - 1 minute drive or 10 minute walk to Victoria and Sherbrooke (lower westmount), 5 minute drive to downtown...

And most importantly - no sign of 60/70's white brick cheesy flower pot landscaping tempo-ridden duplexes.

Lasalle, Verdun, Lachine etc... not my cup of tea. I get depressed everytime i go there - it's just so "mediocre".

The plateau is for people that eat couch tard sandwiches and ride bicycles all day.

Mile-end is actually cooler than the plateau - but again - couche tard sandwiches and bicycles.

I'd take a home in the west-island before most areas in the city.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:48 AM
honestphil41

I live in lasalle, close to the water. I love it, even though my car got stolen in front of my house... but hey, **** happens right?

honestphil41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:02 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Stay away from Airlie street. I find Montreal doesn't work by burrough but by area. Take a drive to your prospective house at night. If a whole bunch of seedy stuff happens, then you ll know what kind of area you will be moving into.
True that! There's nice part in most of Montreal's neighborhood, you have to look around and pay attention to the details.

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:12 AM
zzoo

On the area subject, what do you think of Laval Duvernay (Val-des-arbres or Val-des-Brises) ?
How is Duvernay compared to Chomedey, Vimont, St-Rose or other areas ?

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
On the area subject, what do you think of Laval Duvernay (Val-des-arbres or Val-des-Brises) ?
How is Duvernay compared to Chomedey, Vimont, St-Rose or other areas ?
if you're going to live in Laval you minus well stick to the following locations:

New st.dorothee (bilingual, near the highway, clean)
Chomedey (great restaurants, culture, shopping, ile paton)
Condo near the metro lines
And any million dollar house along the river

Anything else just doesn't feel "home" enough.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
hey guys,

i'm looking at buying a house and lasalle looks to have some very big and nice homes at about 30k to 50K less than chomedey, st-do, pierrefond.

I was wondering, is Lasalle a good area?
Are there areas to avoid?

I mean i know all areas had bad spots, thats inevitable, but overall how is it?
from my understanding it's not bad, but i only ppl who rent there noone who's ever bought a house there.

Thanks
My hometown. There is an Italian gettho, there are two Jamaican ghetto. The rest is a mix of french/english people (mostly french), with small areas mostly french, and others mostly english.

Italian ghetto: south-east of Newman
Jamaican ghettos: Airlie and partly north of Newman

Beside that, quiet place, but with about no identity. A good representation of what Canada is (a place made out of ghettos).

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Magic33

You cant go wrong with the West Island. My grandparents live in Lasalle. Seems to me as though it has changed over the years. I dont go to often, but thats just my opinion. I live in DDO and its awesome. Everything I need is on St-Jeans, its safe, and the buses seems to run on time. Also pretty close to the train station.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:03 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Friend of mines mom got drugged/***** by two guys in Verdun back in the day. I know this can happen anywhere but the point is it did happen in Verdun, and it is true that Verdun has a bad reputation for a reason.
In Verdun, you got to stay way from the Avenues. A part from that, Verdun has gotten a less brutal reputation in the last decade. Verdun is a pretty big town, it's one of Canada's most densely populated area; it has a few neighborhood of its own (nice one's and shady ones).

L'abstrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I work in Real Estate, I can help you out if you'd like.

Lasalle just like a bunch of similar places, Verdun, St-Henri, Pointe St-Charles, etc...
They have their nice areas and bad ones.

You only have to look at the Prices to know if it's a ghetto neighbourhood. If the average is relatively cheap, then you know it's not the nicest hood.

But the best thing you should do is go to the police station closest to the house you're interested in and tell them about you possibly purchasing a new home in the area therefore wanted to know what's the crime rate, etc..
Cops are surprisingly nice when you go ask them that. I did that in Verdun and Pointe St-Charles where I had 2 new condominium projects to take care off.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:24 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Chomedey > LaSalle
+1

The parts of Lasalle I've seen.... sorry I'd take Chomedey hands down. I can't even believe anyone would even compare the 2.

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:30 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Most of Verdun sure is ghetto, but some parts are pretty nice over there. But Ville-Emard? WTF dude, except for a small segment of one street, it is absolutely fine. Have you ever been there? It's an Italian neighborhood with a lot of gardens (mostly tomatoes growing), I fail to see how it makes it ghetto.

Half of Lasalle, Verdun and Saint-Henri are rat holes, but Ville-Emard... dude you're drunk. From what I saw of Laval it is no better then these places, and Ville Emard is by far a nicer place.

By the way, never insult the birth place of Mario Lemieux and Dilallo Burgers or the wrath of the gods will strike you with the swiftness of rage.

To answer the OP, Lasalle is a very nice place if your in the good part of it. Like someone else said you are close to the water, you have a nice bike way. The only problem I have with Lasalle is the public transportation, but if it does not affect you, I would certainly recommend Lasalle. My brother moved there and likes the neighborhood.
There's a significant part of Ville Emard surrounding Bld Monk, near Cote St-Paul, that is pretty much ghetto yes. It's not too far from my apartment. You can't really get a clear cut though. Some streets are, others aren't.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:32 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
My hometown. There is an Italian gettho, there are two Jamaican ghetto. The rest is a mix of french/english people (mostly french), with small areas mostly french, and others mostly english.

Italian ghetto: south-east of Newman
Jamaican ghettos: Airlie and partly north of Newman

Beside that, quiet place, but with about no identity. A good representation of what Canada is (a place made out of ghettos).
I think ghetto means something different in french.

Old
06-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKiwi View Post
Most of Verdun sure is ghetto, but some parts are pretty nice over there. But Ville-Emard? WTF dude, except for a small segment of one street, it is absolutely fine. Have you ever been there? It's an Italian neighborhood with a lot of gardens (mostly tomatoes growing), I fail to see how it makes it ghetto.

Half of Lasalle, Verdun and Saint-Henri are rat holes, but Ville-Emard... dude you're drunk. From what I saw of Laval it is no better then these places, and Ville Emard is by far a nicer place.

By the way, never insult the birth place of Mario Lemieux and Dilallo Burgers or the wrath of the gods will strike you with the swiftness of rage.

To answer the OP, Lasalle is a very nice place if your in the good part of it. Like someone else said you are close to the water, you have a nice bike way. The only problem I have with Lasalle is the public transportation, but if it does not affect you, I would certainly recommend Lasalle. My brother moved there and likes the neighborhood.
I am not sure you know what a ghetto is.

A ghetto is an area were people sharing a same culture will gather to cut themselves from the remain of the population. Therefore, you have ghettos that look good (like the italian one in Lasalle), and other which are sadly poorer and where gangs take more space (the Jamaican ones). It can also lead to nice things (like that Sikh building in Lasalle on Cordner).

The sad thing out of ghettos is the absence of mixity. Everyone wants its peace of the cake and doesn't care about the whole community.

Old
06-05-2009, 12:49 PM
BadKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
There's a significant part of Ville Emard surrounding Bld Monk, near Cote St-Paul, that is pretty much ghetto yes. It's not too far from my apartment. You can't really get a clear cut though. Some streets are, others aren't.
That's true. Especially Jolicoeur street near Monk Boulevard. But then Jolicoeur gets ALOT nicer as you get closer to the Jolicoeur Metro, or if you go the other way for that matter. Now that I think of it, it's a pretty weird place. Ville-Emard gets ugly for a fiew blocks and gets pretty again. It could very well be a case of a few dumb ass landlords out of the bunch.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think ghetto means something different in french.
Looks like it. At least, the word is now used in french to point out any cultural group isolating itself from the rest of the community, without taking into consideration its wealth.

The origin of the word explains it partly (communities of jews in Italy during the Middle ages). Nowadays, in a Country like this one, people from different cultures are not forced to live toghetter (except maybe Parc Extension were people all have in common to be poor and from outside of this Country).

-----------------

Dictionary: ghet·to (gĕt'ō) pronunciation

Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary
n., pl. -tos or -toes.

1. A usually poor section of a city inhabited primarily by people of the same race, religion, or social background, often because of discrimination.
2. An often walled quarter in a European city to which Jews were restricted beginning in the Middle Ages.
3. Something that resembles the restriction or isolation of a city ghetto: “trapped in ethnic or pink-collar managerial job ghettoes” (Diane Weathers).

Old
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Looks like it. At least, the word is now used in french to point out any cultural group isolating itself from the rest of the community, without taking into consideration its wealth.

The origin of the word explains it partly (communities of jews in Italy during the Middle ages). Nowadays, in a Country like this one, people from different cultures are not forced to live toghetter (except maybe Parc Extension were people all have in common to be poor and from outside of this Country).

-----------------

Dictionary: ghet·to (gĕt'ō) pronunciation

Home > Library > Literature & Language > Dictionary
n., pl. -tos or -toes.

1. A usually poor section of a city inhabited primarily by people of the same race, religion, or social background, often because of discrimination.
2. An often walled quarter in a European city to which Jews were restricted beginning in the Middle Ages.
3. Something that resembles the restriction or isolation of a city ghetto: “trapped in ethnic or pink-collar managerial job ghettoes” (Diane Weathers).
Good point, I wasn't using the word with the right definition. The significance for me was more buildings in poor shape with low rents.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Kafka

I have played hockey and soccer for that city and therefore had to be mixed with a lot of anglos, which was nice. The sad point is that the only violence I have seen was when my friend and I were attacked at the exit of the Place Lasalle movie theater because of the language we spoke by a bunch of older guys (around 20 years old) who didn't look to be poor or on drugs but just felt they needed to punch three francos. I got out ok, but my friend had a problem with an eye for two weeks... and got his glasses broken.

Old
06-05-2009, 01:28 PM
redmachine54

Airlie's not as bad as it used to be; it's nowhere near a good street, but it used to be terrible before. I remember walking home from 90th at around 1:00 AM, and almost every night there used to be police officers around the apartments. That doesn't happen as often anymore.

You used to get mugged all the time if you were on Airlie or near the old IGA past a certain time -- not anymore. I live on Airlie, by the way; not saying it's a good street in any way, but its reputation isn't as bad as it used to be. You can still buy all sorts of drugs from the apartments, but it shouldn't be a reason to stay away from LaSalle.

Some nice places in LaSalle include anywhere along Blvd. LaSalle; it's all near the water and the houses are nice; only thing is, they're ****ing expensive. I've also had a liking to the streets near Newman, like Lapierre or Juliette for example; the areas are relatively quiet (since all the traffic is on Newman) and they look nice. Some of the houses there are kind of small if you have a big family, though.

Personally, though, it just looks like everything's leaving LaSalle, but that might be because I see so many stores come and go on Airlie. Place Newman and Carrefour Angrignon have remained relatively static (for me) over the years.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:30 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I have played hockey and soccer for that city and therefore had to be mixed with a lot of anglos, which was nice. The sad point is that the only violence I have seen was when my friend and I were attacked at the exit of the Place Lasalle movie theater because of the language we spoke by a bunch of older guys (around 20 years old) who didn't look to be poor or on drugs but just felt they needed to punch three francos. I got out ok, but my friend had a problem with an eye for two weeks... and got his glasses broken.
That sucks. I used to get beat up every day because I was english back when I was growing up in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve. Know how you feel.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:46 PM
superstar436

maan ! no respect in here for CDN.

From westmount until south of Van horne , it is a very good neighborhood. GR8t transportation, safe, nice atmosphere around CDN metro. NDG is not bad at all.

However, lately, the west-island has grown on me. The trasnportation is bad as if you do not have a car you are cooked, but give it 5 yrs and it will be much better.

superstar436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Lasalle is quite close to Verdun, and Verdun is one of the poorest areas in Montreal.
I've studied this question in some detail and this assertion is simply untrue.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Joe Cole

There is no way to get a straight answer here because it is all based on personal experience and loyalties to our neighbourhoods.

Best thing to do is spend a day walking around the neighbourhood you are thinking about.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote