HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is lasalle a good area?

Old
06-05-2009, 03:38 PM
DJyellow

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
I've studied this question in some detail and this assertion is simply untrue.
Interesting read, but a bit outdated. But I agree... I would not call Verdun amongst the poorest, although it does has its bad areas

DJyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 04:08 PM
mlandry

I don't know too much about MTL since I've only been here one year but living in Longueuil is decent (next to place longueuil). I like to take nightly walks and I've never met anyone that bothered me yet, which is pretty surprising because people would bother me in much smaller cities.

I took the bus to Brossard for a while and passed by Riverside / St-Lambert often, which looks like a nice place, althought probably expensive. Pretty close to Longueuil metro too so it's not too bad to travel to Montreal, depending on where your job is.

Still, I can't wait to be done university and go back to New-Brunswick and live in the woods .

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 04:16 PM
HabSim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Germaine View Post
Does anyone know where the Seagram's distillery is?
It's on the corner of Airlie and the 138 (Mercier bridge). Starting there you can't miss it.

HabSim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:20 PM
DeadPool

I was born and raised in LaSalle. After 30 years, i'm leaving for Pt-St-Charles this summer.

I've lived in 2 different lasalle areas:
-Dollard street
-Place LaSalle

Dollard St. was fun. It was quiet and secure. We used to hang out in a neighborhood park till I turned 20. Recently, it isn't what it used to be. A guy got stabbed in broad daylight 3 months ago and the police shot a guy walking around with a knife last month.

Place LaSalle area. So quiet. So peaceful. So secure. I've been there for 5 years. My only beef is that it's boring as hell for a twentysomething guy. A lot of elderly people. They rule this area.

Everybody know the bad areas of LaSalle: Bergevin/Des Oblats, Airlie, Jean-Brillon and Vezina.

DeadPool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:28 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
well i live in parc ex so nothing is really ghetto to me anymore

and yes i do consider chomedey
i knwo the are well so i know what and where to avoid
the ares in chomedey that i'm looking at are actually quiet and clean

lasalle seems nice but everytime i've been i have not gotten a good feeling but i think everytime i was in the ghetto side
i've seen pictures of houses there and they look amazing but i dont know what surrounds them.
Parc Ex is not so bad, except that everyone drives like they come from some country with no traffic laws...

Most of the people in Parc Ex have recently come from relatively poor countries, but the vast majority are working hard and pushing their kids to do well in school. People pass through Parc Ex on their way to a more prosperous life. It is not like some places where people are poor for generations and they laugh at people who work for a living.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:43 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
RELATIVITY is everything.
Of course, Montreal is a very nice city, you could live well in any neighborhood.

Roughly:
Top tier: Westmount, Outremont, TMR, Île-des-soeurs, Hamstead
Mid tier I: Plateau, St-Léonard, Beaconsfield, Kirland, Pointe-Claire, St-Laurent
Mid Tier II : Anjou, Ahuntic-Cartierville, NDG/Côte-des-Neiges, Côte-St-Luc, Lachine, RDP, Rosemont
Low tier: Verdun, Montreal North, Montreal East, St-Michel

Where should be Lasalle ?
I'd probably rank it in Mid Tier II.
Way off now for some of these places. NDG and Cotes des Neiges have gone way upscale (Monkland Village, snicker, but property values are crazy) now that francophones have started to move in making up for the exodus. Verdun is getting spiffy, too. I have nothing against St-Leonard but I would never rate it above tier II in your scheme. Same with Pointe-Claire.

It is hard to generalize over large areas, anyway. Montreal is not quite like US cities where you get dangerous slums that end abruptly at the edge of an upscale neighbourhood, but some areas have fairly well-defined poor areas (say around Cavendish in NDG, or some areas below Sherbrooke) while the rest of the area is nice.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
RELATIVITY is everything.
Of course, Montreal is a very nice city, you could live well in any neighborhood.

Roughly:
Top tier: Westmount, Outremont, TMR, Île-des-soeurs, Hamstead
Mid tier I: Plateau, St-Léonard, Beaconsfield, Kirland, Pointe-Claire, St-Laurent
Mid Tier II : Anjou, Ahuntic-Cartierville, NDG/Côte-des-Neiges, Côte-St-Luc, Lachine, RDP, Rosemont
Low tier: Verdun, Montreal North, Montreal East, St-Michel

Where should be Lasalle ?
I'd probably rank it in Mid Tier II.
I would switch Verdun with Little Burgundy.I dare anyone to go near the parks in Little Burgundy at night, especially Campbell park.

Bobby Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 12:38 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think ghetto means something different in french.
I think they use it the same. An area where a minority live. Densely populated by them in that area.

Used to be a term for where the jewish people lived during WWII.

As for this, I only have a fix on Westmount.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 01:53 AM
Prudentius

Lasalle has some spot just as bad as Montreal North and some spot where it's really peaceful. I'd really need the street's name to tell you if it's a peaceful place or a bad one.

Edit: I obviously live here and have been for 3 years. All of my family(Italian) have lived there entire life in Lasalle. I know the place well enough to tell you if you are potentially getting in trouble.

Last edited by Prudentius: 06-06-2009 at 01:58 AM.
Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 02:04 AM
Prudentius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool View Post
I was born and raised in LaSalle. After 30 years, i'm leaving for Pt-St-Charles this summer.

I've lived in 2 different lasalle areas:
-Dollard street
-Place LaSalle

Dollard St. was fun. It was quiet and secure. We used to hang out in a neighborhood park till I turned 20. Recently, it isn't what it used to be. A guy got stabbed in broad daylight 3 months ago and the police shot a guy walking around with a knife last month.

Place LaSalle area. So quiet. So peaceful. So secure. I've been there for 5 years. My only beef is that it's boring as hell for a twentysomething guy. A lot of elderly people. They rule this area.

Everybody know the bad areas of LaSalle: Bergevin/Des Oblats, Airlie, Jean-Brillon and Vezina.
Pretty much dead on.

I'd also like to add Thierry between Cordner and Newman. That street and everything around it isn't what it used to be. Heard at least 3 gunshot this month and one of my friend saw from his eyes a small firefight behind the Skratch on Juliette a few month ago. There were also 1 stabbing and a molotov cocktail thrown into an appartement in recent month.

It isn't really that bad because you don't have to be scared unless your in shady business, but it's rapidly getting worse. I don't see it improving either.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 11:05 AM
happyhab*

I lived in Lasalle in my middle school years, does anyone know if Childrens World School is still up?? I went there for about 6 years.... I'm 33 now

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 11:09 AM
redmachine54

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhab View Post
I lived in Lasalle in my middle school years, does anyone know if Childrens World School is still up?? I went there for about 6 years.... I'm 33 now
Yeah, it's still there... but it isn't a middle school. I think the only middle / high schools there are Cavalier and LCCHS.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 02:36 PM
happyhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmachine54 View Post
Yeah, it's still there... but it isn't a middle school. I think the only middle / high schools there are Cavalier and LCCHS.
sorry I meant elementary

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Megaforce

The province used to publish a poverty map that gave a color coded block-by-block breakdown of poverty in the city. I've been looking for the link but can't seem to find it anymore. I'll post it once I do. It would be very useful for the purposes of this discussion.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:08 PM
djblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Yeah, and D.D.O. is also near Pierrefonds, and Pointe-Claire is also near Dorval, (west islander perspective), and I wouldn't live in Dorval or Pierrefonds but would live in Pointe-Claire or D.D.O.

For some Dorvalers it's a similar thing with Lachine, it's near by but they'd never live there.
Pierrefonds has some really nice spots certainly were i live (Chateau Pierrefonds Area)

djblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
well i live in parc ex so nothing is really ghetto to me anymore

and yes i do consider chomedey
i knwo the are well so i know what and where to avoid
the ares in chomedey that i'm looking at are actually quiet and clean

lasalle seems nice but everytime i've been i have not gotten a good feeling but i think everytime i was in the ghetto side
i've seen pictures of houses there and they look amazing but i dont know what surrounds them.
There are some really nice places in Chomedey, pm me the area you're looking at, I wouldn't be surprised if it's where I bought my house. There's a little bit of everything and a really nice Greek community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Chomedey > LaSalle
Here's one Greek guy who knows what he's talking about.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Rickkins

I grew up in LaSalle...it is, and always was a freakin' sewer, not fit for the rats to live in...avoid it like the plague.

I now live in Pierrefonds, and trust me when I say it is worlds away. Of the places you mentioned, Pierrefonds; or indeed the West Island in general is the way to go. Best area to raise kids too.

Rickkins is offline   Reply With Quote