HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles Kings OHL Prospects Review

Old
07-26-2016, 06:26 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Los Angeles Kings OHL Prospects Review

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016...les-kings.html

Each summer I review the progress, rank, and provide prognostication on each NHL team's OHL prospects. Today is LA's turn.

As always, willing to answer any questions.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2016, 08:26 AM
jfont

Awards:
Brock,
Thank you for the write up ..

07-26-2016, 10:25 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I've got high hopes for eye chart.

Any comparisons to be made for the Kings ohl prospects?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I've got high hopes for eye chart.

Any comparisons to be made for the Kings ohl prospects?
I think Amadio can definitely develop into a Jarret Stoll, Mike Fisher type of player. A solid 2nd line center who can play both ways and in all situations.

I threw out a comparison for Cernak in Norstrom and you could probably replace that with any of the league's quality top 4 defenders who play more of a shut down type of role.

Spencer Watson, if he makes the NHL it will be in a top 6 role. Likely in the mould of a Ray Whitney type of player.

Sharipzyanov, a high risk offensive type of defender who also plays a high risk physical game (in terms of going for big hits). Stylistically, his game would resemble a guy like Dion Phaneuf, but I don't expect him to turn into a player who has that kind of impact at the NHL level.

Jacob Friend, think of a decent skating, physical stay at home type of defender. A Steve Staois type.

And Schmalz, again this is a best case scenario. But perhaps a Chris Gratton type of player.

Old
07-26-2016, 11:43 PM
Vino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016...les-kings.html

Each summer I review the progress, rank, and provide prognostication on each NHL team's OHL prospects. Today is LA's turn.

As always, willing to answer any questions.
Thanks a lot. An interesting stuff.

edit.

Your writing a year ago.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.fi/2015...les-kings.html

Matt Mistele. Jacob Middleton. Jake Marchment. LA Kings didn't sign these youngsters. What is your opinion, do they have any propotential?

Marchment is now San Jose's property. (AHL-deal)

http://www.sjbarracuda.com/news/deta...s-to-ahl-deals

"The 21 year-old Marchment looks to begin his professional career with the Barracuda after skating the last three years in the OHL with Belleville and Erie. The 6-foot-4, 220lb center from Courtice, ON recorded 45 points (25+20=45pts) in 60 games with the Erie Otters last season and added 11 points (4+7=11) in 13 playoff games. Jake is the nephew of San Jose Sharks development coach Bryan Marchment and was originally drafted by the LA Kings in 2014."

Last edited by Vino: 07-27-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2016, 05:30 AM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
Thanks a lot. An interesting stuff.

edit.

Your writing a year ago.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.fi/2015...les-kings.html

Matt Mistele. Jacob Middleton. Jake Marchment. LA Kings didn't sign these youngsters. What is your opinion, do they have any propotential?

Marchment is now San Jose's property. (AHL-deal)

http://www.sjbarracuda.com/news/deta...s-to-ahl-deals

"The 21 year-old Marchment looks to begin his professional career with the Barracuda after skating the last three years in the OHL with Belleville and Erie. The 6-foot-4, 220lb center from Courtice, ON recorded 45 points (25+20=45pts) in 60 games with the Erie Otters last season and added 11 points (4+7=11) in 13 playoff games. Jake is the nephew of San Jose Sharks development coach Bryan Marchment and was originally drafted by the LA Kings in 2014."
Pro potential? Yes. NHL potential? Not likely.

Mistele was never really able to upgrade his skating ability, which I think ultimately led to his release. He's a good goal scorer at the OHL level and he can play a physical/pest role occasionally. I'm positive he'll be in the AHL/ECHL somewhere next year (and not in the CIS). Could work his way up.

Middleton, was a little surprised that he didn't get signed. I did feel that he took steps forward this year in becoming one of the OHL's better stay at home defenders. Really improved his mobility IMO and is a real work horse. Ultimately, the lack of improvement to his offensive game (and the fact that his mobility continues to need work) likely led to his release. But he'll return to the OHL for an overage year. If his offensive game improves and has a good year, it wouldn't surprise me to see him earn an NHL deal.

Marchment, he's a solid all around player. Was one of the OHL's top faceoff guys. Works hard in the defensive end. Offensively, he's pretty limited as a pro player. The skating isn't terrific either. Ultimately, San Jose saw enough in him to convince their AHL team to sign him to test out the pro waters. Could develop into a 4th line role player some day.

Old
07-27-2016, 01:13 PM
Peter James Bond II

Thanks Brock, great report and assessment.

With Amadio and Watson graduating, it's a serious dearth of major junior forwards for the Kings. Austin Wagner and Schmalz are the only ones. Have some hopes for Wagner, given his speed and rising offensive numbers. I think someone on the Kings staff said he was even faster than Kempe.

Peter James Bond II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2016, 01:28 PM
Vino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Pro potential? Yes. NHL potential? Not likely.
Middleton, was a little surprised that he didn't get signed. ...
Thanks a lot.

Our LD depht is pretty good (quantity, not quality). Gravel. Forbort. MacDermid. Lintuniemi. Leslie. Moverare. Sharipzianov. + Johnson (unsigned) and Reddekopp (unsigned).

Vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2016, 02:39 PM
Peter James Bond II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino View Post
Thanks a lot.

Our LD depht is pretty good (quantity, not quality). Gravel. Forbort. MacDermid. Lintuniemi. Leslie. Moverare. Sharipzianov. + Johnson (unsigned) and Reddekopp (unsigned).
add Clague. That raises the quality a little. Think Gravel will end up being a quality NHL player.

Peter James Bond II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2016, 06:53 PM
Jason Lewis
HFB Partner

Yea I too was surprised that Middleton didn't get signed. The other two not so much. But as has been pointed out, just so many LHD already it is hard to imagine him being much more than AHL fodder.