HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Michael Amadio Faces Higher Expectations Heading Into LA Kings Training Camp

Old
09-01-2017, 05:26 AM
FrozenRoyalty

vCash: 500

Frozen Royalty caught up with Los Angeles Kings center prospect Michael Amadio, who had a solid season with the Ontario Reign of the American Hockey League last season.

This is a player who is already defensively responsible and has a deceptive shot. He was a 50-goal scorer with the North Bay Battalion of the Ontario Hockey League before making the jump to the AHL.

For an update on his development, including comments from Kings assistant general manager Michael Futa, check out:

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 05:38 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Great article. He's been flying under the radar compared to some higher profile prospects, but there's a lot of potential in him.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 09:05 AM
deeshamrock

Good article and from all accounts, he's exactly what the Kings need. He's turning 22 next year and should be on the team, he had a solid year in the AHL and it's time to move forward.
All rookies in the NHl have to adjust and he'll have that path as well, but it's time for him to be that 3C (for now) that the Kings need. IF he performs well, give him shifts at 2C with Carter on wing to see how he does.

The fact he is still identified parts of his game that he needs to work on is good, he's hungry. But the below, that's every reason why he should be on the Kings next year , that is exactly the right recipe, youth and skill , that they need.

Quote:
“He’s an incredible student of the game, and he takes pride in his play away from the puck,” said Kings assistant general manager Michael Futa. “That’s the same way he was in junior, when his team moved from Brampton to North Bay. He had an excellent junior coach in Stan Butler, who really worked on his 200-foot game, and his accountability away from the puck.”

“He kind of mastered that, and became so efficient in junior, and then, in his last year in junior, he scored 50 goals. All of a sudden, this guy must be a contender for the [Maurice] ‘Rocket’ Richard Trophy,” added Futa. “That’s not Michael’s game, but it’s a part of it. He’s a got a very quick, deceptive release, and he hasn’t lost that accountability.”

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 11:06 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Hoping this kid is a pleasant surprise for the Kings this season.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 12:18 PM
KHenry14

Kid has 3rd line center written all over him. I'd expect him to team up with Brodzy down the line

KHenry14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 12:23 PM
lumbergh

What are the chances he makes the Kings roster out of training camp? Seems like he's the Kings 3rd line center of the near future. I just don't know how near.

lumbergh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 12:34 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbergh View Post
What are the chances he makes the Kings roster out of training camp? Seems like he's the Kings 3rd line center of the near future. I just don't know how near.
If he has a good camp, he should be up for the start of the season, he's turning 22, and there really isn't any reason for him not to be on the 3rd line now, if he shows that. Other teams have players younger than him and they adjust fine.
This team needs a shot of talent, skill and youth and he appears to be that

Old
09-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Kingsfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
If he has a good camp, he should be up for the start of the season, he's turning 22, and there really isn't any reason for him not to be on the 3rd line now, if he shows that. Other teams have players younger than him and they adjust fine.

He won't turn 22 until the season is over. He is 21 and will be 21 the whole year. I think Amadio will keep rising and is a gem for us . I really hope to see him start the year as our 3rd line center but since it's such an important role I see Shore or Dowd as our 3rd line center .

Kingsfan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 03:00 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsfan1 View Post
He won't turn 22 until the season is over. He is 21 and will be 21 the whole year. I think Amadio will keep rising and is a gem for us . I really hope to see him start the year as our 3rd line center but since it's such an important role I see Shore or Dowd as our 3rd line center .
I knew his birthday wasn't until May but that doesn't change anything. For the reason you stated, as with any talented young player, they get better. In his case, I think that would be best served, esp by what the article said from those who've seen him, in the NHL.

I disagree on going back to the AHL, and whose to say he won't be as good as Dowd or Shore? He's had a year in the AHL and did well, it's time for him to acclimate to the NHL. If he shows he can play, there isn't any reason for him to over marinate , as some Kings prospects have, in the AHL.

I guess we'll find out.

Old
09-01-2017, 06:17 PM
FrozenRoyalty

Don't expect Amadio to make the Kings roster out of training camp. He's not ready. Maybe a late season call-up.

Old
09-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Basilisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Don't expect Amadio to make the Kings roster out of training camp. He's not ready. Maybe a late season call-up.

But didn't you same the exact same thing about what's-his-name......?

Basilisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 09:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

We know where Kopitar and Carter stand, but after them you have Shore, Dowd, Kempe and Loktionov competing for two additional center spots.

Amadio can spend another season as a top line center in Ontario. After that, I think he can make a push to earn a full-time spot on the team.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 10:22 PM
KingCanadain1976

Just curious if anyone knows if Kempe Gravel and Brodzinski have to clear waivers to go back. I am curious because i know Mersch Auger and MacDermit do

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
We know where Kopitar and Carter stand, but after them you have Shore, Dowd, Kempe and Loktionov competing for two additional center spots.

Amadio can spend another season as a top line center in Ontario. After that, I think he can make a push to earn a full-time spot on the team.
Agreed, it's a toss up if the Kings keep Kempe at center. It is a make it out break it year for Shore- let's see what he can do under Stevens, if not he is done. Dowd outplayed him and showed more heart until the end of the year when he started to fall apart and Shore then got hot.

Dowd had 22 points his rookie year. Shore has scored 17 at the most.

Shore is better defensively but Dowd has more spunk in his game, throws the body and gets involved. Realistically Lokitionov or Kempe or Armadio could knock off one of Dowd or Shore. I do think the Kings value Dowd more than Shore though.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2017, 01:55 AM
regulate

Amadio still needs another year of seasoning in my opinion, after watching him play in person about 30 + times last year. Remember, it was only his rookie pro year last year, and you really could see his potential starting about the Christmas break in 2016 when he started tearing it up, finished very strong through the 2017 season. He is an excellent passer, particularly on the rush, and like many players that prefer to dish the puck, he needs to shoot more. You could see his confidence growing game by game. I expect a 20-25 goal campaign out of him this year. He did have a few defense lapses in the playoffs which cost the Reign, but mistakes happen. He is still very poor in the face-off circle overall and needs a lot of work there still. The biggest hurdle is to continue to improve his strength and competitiveness. He looks very nonchalant when he plays, which is personality. It doesn't appear he is giving it his all, when in fact he is just very deceptive. A very smart player that has a knack for either knocking pucks off the opponent's stick or taking the puck away. Reminds me of Mike Richards without the physical play in his game (even looks like him but he is taller). He is a Lady Byng type player, and I don't expect you will see his style change to much, but at least he started sticking up for himself last year vs coming in at the end of the 16 season in the playoffs and getting pushed around and not really sticking up for himself or teammates. I expect improvements all around from this player, maybe even the 1C in ONT, and to compete for a Kings spot in 18-19.

regulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2017, 07:07 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

I think he will have an opportunity, albeit slim, of getting a shot in training camp.

At best he could be one of the first callups in case of injury.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2017, 10:21 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
I agree, if Amadio is better than Shore, Dowd and Andreoff it's time to move one of them and let Amadio play.

Old
09-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Raccoon Jesus
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by regulate View Post
Amadio still needs another year of seasoning in my opinion, after watching him play in person about 30 + times last year. Remember, it was only his rookie pro year last year, and you really could see his potential starting about the Christmas break in 2016 when he started tearing it up, finished very strong through the 2017 season. He is an excellent passer, particularly on the rush, and like many players that prefer to dish the puck, he needs to shoot more. You could see his confidence growing game by game. I expect a 20-25 goal campaign out of him this year. He did have a few defense lapses in the playoffs which cost the Reign, but mistakes happen. He is still very poor in the face-off circle overall and needs a lot of work there still. The biggest hurdle is to continue to improve his strength and competitiveness. He looks very nonchalant when he plays, which is personality. It doesn't appear he is giving it his all, when in fact he is just very deceptive. A very smart player that has a knack for either knocking pucks off the opponent's stick or taking the puck away. Reminds me of Mike Richards without the physical play in his game (even looks like him but he is taller). He is a Lady Byng type player, and I don't expect you will see his style change to much, but at least he started sticking up for himself last year vs coming in at the end of the 16 season in the playoffs and getting pushed around and not really sticking up for himself or teammates. I expect improvements all around from this player, maybe even the 1C in ONT, and to compete for a Kings spot in 18-19.
Tend to agree with this 100%. Also not really physically prepared in the sense that another year of strength will help his game immensely in terms of confidence in scrums and in leveraging the skills he has. I'd expect him to get a cup of coffee this year, though. He's exactly the type of guy that would grow a lot with a few NHL games here and there.

"What the ****, guys? It was a metaphor." --Dean Lombardi, 2015.
Raccoon Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2017, 12:03 AM
FrozenRoyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post
But didn't you same the exact same thing about what's-his-name......?

Who?

Old
09-03-2017, 12:05 AM
FrozenRoyalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I agree, if Amadio is better than Shore, Dowd and Andreoff it's time to move one of them and let Amadio play.
If it was about this season for the Kings, yeah. But it's not. They're not a Cup contender without a major move. As such, there's no reason to call up Amadio.

Old
09-03-2017, 02:50 AM
Riding The Pine
Doty for Norris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
Just curious if anyone knows if Kempe Gravel and Brodzinski have to clear waivers to go back. I am curious because i know Mersch Auger and MacDermit do
Kempe, Gravel, LaDue and Brodzinski dont have to clear waivers now but...

-Kempe has to after 135 games in NHL or 2 years which ever comes first.
-Gravel after 6 games in NHL.
-LaDue after 38 games.
-Brodzinski after 64 games in NHL.

-Fantenberg after 1 year.
-Iafallo after 60 games in NHL or 2 years which ever comes first.
-Amadio after 160 games in NHL or 2 years which ever comes first.
etc.

Interested to see others, look them at https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/kings
click green arrow after players name if it`s there and it opens a page where you see remaining games/seasons when he has to clear waivers.

Riding The Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2017, 03:16 AM
Kingsfan1

Futa mentioned in his interview in which he was assessing Amadios development that Amadio shouldn't have a problem scoring 25 goals in the AHL next year so I am convinced he starts the year in the AHL and not on the Kings. Hopefully he tears it up early and gets called up after the deadline ala Toffoli and Pearson

Kingsfan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2017, 01:02 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riding The Pine View Post
Kempe, Gravel, LaDue and Brodzinski dont have to clear waivers now but...

-Kempe has to after 135 games in NHL or 2 years which ever comes first.
-Gravel after 6 games in NHL.
-LaDue after 38 games.
-Brodzinski after 64 games in NHL.

-Fantenberg after 1 year.
-Iafallo after 60 games in NHL or 2 years which ever comes first.
-Amadio after 160 games in NHL or 2 years which ever comes first.
etc.

Interested to see others, look them at https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/kings
click green arrow after players name if it`s there and it opens a page where you see remaining games/seasons when he has to clear waivers.
Good info, thanks.

Old
09-04-2017, 04:57 PM
damacles1156

Another year in the AHL would do Amadio a lot of good.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2017, 08:40 PM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Another year in the AHL would do Amadio a lot of good.
Sure...but he should play a lot in the preseason to see where he's at.

Last edited by TruKingFan: 09-05-2017 at 10:26 PM.
TruKingFan is offline   Reply With Quote