HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Visiting LA? Where to go? What to do? Ask here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2013, 05:33 PM
  #326
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 11,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Hey im taking my son to our first ever game at staples on Tuesday against the oilers and just have a question. What time do the gates open and what time do the warm ups take place for a 730 game? I'm guessing 6 and 630 but thought I would check.
Doors open 1.5 hours before game time or 2 hours for premier level/ suites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Which train did you guys tell him to take?

I'm feeling.......blonde.








I am here to tell you that I would make the most hideous tranny of all time. That and I am nowhere near Cali.
The redline through Hollyweird..

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 08:08 PM
  #327
dacrazysportsfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 79
vCash: 500
Hi. I'm going to 3 Kings game in the beginning of February. I have some questions. Do the Kings practice at Toyota Sports Center during non game days and practice at Staples Center during game days? And also do the visiting teams practice at Toyota Sports Center on non game days and practice at Staples during game days? And how far is the drive from Toyota Sports Center to Staples Center. Also, is Staples Center dangerous before or after the game? Cuz one of the games I'm going to is the Blackhawks-Kings game and I'm not sure if it's really dangerous especially for that game?

dacrazysportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2013, 08:25 PM
  #328
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Meow-ntain
Posts: 33,448
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrazysportsfan View Post
Hi. I'm going to 3 Kings game in the beginning of February. I have some questions. Do the Kings practice at Toyota Sports Center during non game days and practice at Staples Center during game days? And also do the visiting teams practice at Toyota Sports Center on non game days and practice at Staples during game days? And how far is the drive from Toyota Sports Center to Staples Center. Also, is Staples Center dangerous before or after the game? Cuz one of the games I'm going to is the Blackhawks-Kings game and I'm not sure if it's really dangerous especially for that game?
Not dangerous before our after . It is about 20 minutes from TTC to Staples.

I don't know the answers to the other questions.

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:13 AM
  #329
KBA4life
Registered User
 
KBA4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlzner View Post
I'm seriously thinking about going to Coachella with Outkast and Arcade Fire probably being headliners... any beginner tips for someone who has never been to LA?
Wear a diaper if you go to Coachella. Seriously

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 11:36 AM
  #330
onlyalad
Registered User
 
onlyalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,695
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar Milan View Post
Not dangerous before our after . It is about 20 minutes from TTC to Staples.

I don't know the answers to the other questions.
As far as practice it depends on how busy Staples is that day. The area right around Staples is fine most of the time.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 12:31 PM
  #331
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 11,270
vCash: 500
Yeah the area around Staples is very safe and there is usually a ton of police around the building on game days so I'd have little concern about your safety. If you were considering walking from TSC to Staples, I might tell you to reconsider. That was a joke btw. That is way too far of a walk but the area between the two isn't very pleasant.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 11:50 PM
  #332
Budddy
Registered User
 
Budddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Okanagan
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,117
vCash: 500
Hi all...thinking of going to bruins game against Ducks on Jan 7 and the Kings on Jan 9...where should I look for hotels if seeing the games...would,like something that would be easy to get to...which end of ice do bruins shoot twice?

Good source for tix? Craigslist?

Thx!

Budddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:36 PM
  #333
brodano
Registered User
 
brodano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 198
vCash: 522
are you allowed to go check out the morning skate? if so how do you go about doing that?

brodano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 09:47 PM
  #334
onlyalad
Registered User
 
onlyalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,695
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
Hi all...thinking of going to bruins game against Ducks on Jan 7 and the Kings on Jan 9...where should I look for hotels if seeing the games...would,like something that would be easy to get to...which end of ice do bruins shoot twice?

Good source for tix? Craigslist?

Thx!
Pick a hotel close to one or the other. No place in between is good. Are you going to D-Land on Wednesday or Seeing LA?
If you are only here for the three days I would suggest staying near D-land and going there Wednesday and on Thursday go to LA earlier in the day and avoid the rush hour(s) traffic.
As far as tickets Ducks fans like 714 tickets and Kings have lots of favs. But stub hub will work

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 09:13 AM
  #335
MJF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,988
vCash: 500
I'll be visiting LA from NYC for the game on 3/1 vs. Montreal and I have a couple of questions.

I haven't bought tickets yet. Am I better off trying to find something on StubHub now or wait until a week or two before the game?

We will be staying in Arcadia. Is it better to use the Gold Line from Pasadena to get to Staples Center or should I just drive there?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 11:28 AM
  #336
ElKingsFan92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hollywood/Lakewood
Country: United States
Posts: 858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
I'll be visiting LA from NYC for the game on 3/1 vs. Montreal and I have a couple of questions.

I haven't bought tickets yet. Am I better off trying to find something on StubHub now or wait until a week or two before the game?

We will be staying in Arcadia. Is it better to use the Gold Line from Pasadena to get to Staples Center or should I just drive there?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Stubhub works just fine. In fact, you better buy them now as I notice that tickets gets more expensive the closer you buy them to game day.

As far as the train goes, the Gold Line will take you to Union Station. From there, you can either take the Red Line to the 7th/Metro stop and then either walk to Staples (It's like 3 blocks away from the 7th/Metro station) or you can board the Blue Line at this same station and get off at the Chick Hearn stop which is the first stop that line makes.

You can also probably take a bus from Union Station to Staples, but I'm not sure which bus(es) you'd have to take to get there.


I would honestly advise against driving to Staples because finding parking around the arena on a game night can be a headache; they charge way too much for parking.

ElKingsFan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2014, 12:09 PM
  #337
MJF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKingsFan92 View Post
Stubhub works just fine. In fact, you better buy them now as I notice that tickets gets more expensive the closer you buy them to game day.

As far as the train goes, the Gold Line will take you to Union Station. From there, you can either take the Red Line to the 7th/Metro stop and then either walk to Staples (It's like 3 blocks away from the 7th/Metro station) or you can board the Blue Line at this same station and get off at the Chick Hearn stop which is the first stop that line makes.

You can also probably take a bus from Union Station to Staples, but I'm not sure which bus(es) you'd have to take to get there.


I would honestly advise against driving to Staples because finding parking around the arena on a game night can be a headache; they charge way too much for parking.
Thanks. I took your advice on buying tickets. There were a couple of seats I was tracking on StubHub. I jumped on them just now.

Now I'm really pumped for my visit.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 12:33 PM
  #338
304
Registered User
 
304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Going to the game Thursday. Very excited to catch a game at Staples again. What's a good spot to grab some pregame beers?

I went two years ago and went to ESPN Zone, which was alright (closed now I hear).

304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 01:18 PM
  #339
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Meow-ntain
Posts: 33,448
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304 View Post
Going to the game Thursday. Very excited to catch a game at Staples again. What's a good spot to grab some pregame beers?

I went two years ago and went to ESPN Zone, which was alright (closed now I hear).
A ton more spots opened on Figueroa. You have your pick of the litter.

If you have never been to El Cholo, they have amazing margaritas

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:09 PM
  #340
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 11,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304 View Post
Going to the game Thursday. Very excited to catch a game at Staples again. What's a good spot to grab some pregame beers?

I went two years ago and went to ESPN Zone, which was alright (closed now I hear).
Depends on what you are looking for but there is obviously a load of restaurants/bars at LA Live near where ESPN Zone is/was. Rosa Mexicano has a Pomegranate Margarita that will knock your socks off. I don't really like Margaritas but El Cholo is good for that and Rosa Mexicano's Pomegranate Margaritas are strong and tasty. They are definitely worth trying.

If you are willing to walk a little, there are a few other places worth checking out. I've always been a fan of Big Wangs (8th and Grand). It is a wing place / sports bar like Hooters but better food and less of a strip club environment. There is a good happy hour there 3-7pm.

Across the street from that is a dive bar called Hank's (8th and Olive). I always liked that place too.

A place a little further up the road that I always like for Happy Hour is Wokano. That is a japanese/chinese fusion restaurant. They have $4 beers and food there in the bar area (only).

A great place for craft beer is the Library Bar on Hope/6th Street or Public School on Flower/6th. I'd recommend Library Bar over Public School.

EDIT: There are a s-load of bars in DTLA so it really boils down to what is important to you. If you are just looking for something close, go to LA live. If you are looking for good happy hour specials or something unique, there are a variety of places to go to but you'll have to let us know what you are trying to find.


Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 01-07-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:13 PM
  #341
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 11,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodano View Post
are you allowed to go check out the morning skate? if so how do you go about doing that?
This is where they practice. I'm pretty sure it is open to the public but I have no idea about times etc. I've never gone...

http://www.toyotasportscenter.com/

You might call and ask or search this board more because i'm sure the question has been asked a zillion times.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 02:32 PM
  #342
onlyalad
Registered User
 
onlyalad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,695
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
Thanks. I took your advice on buying tickets. There were a couple of seats I was tracking on StubHub. I jumped on them just now.

Now I'm really pumped for my visit.
I am going to tourist you a bit.
Get out the door early 10 am
Buy an all day metro pass
Take the Gold to Union station
Leave the station and hit Oliveria street but dont get lunch there. Nothing wrong with it but not great either. Instead go to Phillipes and get a French dip( they claim to be the place that invented it) with hot mustard.
After lunch take the Red Line to Hollywood and Highland. See the freaks and the walk of fame and the hollywood sign.
Then take the Red line back to Staples. Look for a place to eat.
After the game Red line to Union and gold line home.
You get some of the "must see" things done and none of the traffic

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:55 PM
  #343
MJF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
I am going to tourist you a bit.
Get out the door early 10 am
Buy an all day metro pass
Take the Gold to Union station
Leave the station and hit Oliveria street but dont get lunch there. Nothing wrong with it but not great either. Instead go to Phillipes and get a French dip( they claim to be the place that invented it) with hot mustard.
After lunch take the Red Line to Hollywood and Highland. See the freaks and the walk of fame and the hollywood sign.
Then take the Red line back to Staples. Look for a place to eat.
After the game Red line to Union and gold line home.
You get some of the "must see" things done and none of the traffic
That sounds like a good way to spend Monday.

We will be arriving on Saturday afternoon. That day I want to have lunch at Canter's Delicatessen. I was told it was a must stop. The pastrami is to die for. I need something to fill in Saturday evening. Any ideas?

Sunday my wife and I are going to spend the day at Santa Anita, hopefully cashing a few tickets along the way.

Your itinerary for Monday sound great.

Can't wait to get out of this deep freeze in New York and head to LA.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
  #344
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Meow-ntain
Posts: 33,448
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
That sounds like a good way to spend Monday.

We will be arriving on Saturday afternoon. That day I want to have lunch at Canter's Delicatessen. I was told it was a must stop. The pastrami is to die for. I need something to fill in Saturday evening. Any ideas?

Sunday my wife and I are going to spend the day at Santa Anita, hopefully cashing a few tickets along the way.

Your itinerary for Monday sound great.

Can't wait to get out of this deep freeze in New York and head to LA.
If you have a car, the 3rd street Promenade in Santa Monica is a great time.

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:17 PM
  #345
304
Registered User
 
304's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 159
vCash: 500
Thanks guys. Big Wangs pregame sounds good. I appreciate the other recommendations as well. We're spending the night Downtown so we'll have to try a few of those places postgame.

304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:54 PM
  #346
MJF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar Milan View Post
If you have a car, the 3rd street Promenade in Santa Monica is a great time.
I will have a car. Is it easy to get to from Arcadia?

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:16 PM
  #347
Captain Mittens*
Catquistador
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Meow-ntain
Posts: 33,448
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
I will have a car. Is it easy to get to from Arcadia?
It'll be about an hour.

If you are in Arcadia, I would recommend checking out Pasadena. There are a lot of good spots there.

Captain Mittens* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 05:18 PM
  #348
Buddy The Elf
Kings!
 
Buddy The Elf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Belmont Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 11,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304 View Post
Thanks guys. Big Wangs pregame sounds good. I appreciate the other recommendations as well. We're spending the night Downtown so we'll have to try a few of those places postgame.
There are a lot of good restaurants and bars in Downtown LA to checkout. If you like Whiskey, go to Seven Grand. You might check out Varnish or the Association for speakeasy type bars. Silo is a Vodka bar with a freezer you can sample vodka's in. There is also The Edison which is an old Edison power plant that still has the turbines in it. It is bar/club that is themed after the early 1900's. Some of those places are a bit pricey but worth checking out for a drink.

http://sevengrandbars.com/seven-grand-downtown-la/

http://www.edisondowntown.com/

Keep in mind that some of these places are a little further east in Downtown so there will be some lurkers at night. There will probably be people out and about but just know that if you travel east of Hope/Grand, you're venturing closer to skid row. Just don't go past Spring or Main street. And if you go to the Edison, Varnish or Association, you can take the Metro Red line to Pershing Square to save you a few blocks of walking.

If you have money to spend on a nice meal, Roys Hawaiian is excellent! Make sure to get a Hawaiian Martini and try the ribs.

http://www.roysrestaurant.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJF View Post
I will have a car. Is it easy to get to from Arcadia?
Get to the 10 east and take it til it ends. Probably just take the 110 south to the 10 east.

The pier at Hermosa or Manhattan is another cool beach scene with a boatload of night life. The piers at Redondo, Hermosa and Manhattan are all about 5 minutes from each other and every one of them has plenty of bars and restaurants (from cheap to expensive). This is the area where most of the Lakers/Kings players live.

Plenty of freaks and weirdos to be seen at Venice beach in the day time. I wouldn't spend a night there. Not that you are going to get killed or anything but there are much better places to go. Old town pasadena is right near you and another cool spot.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2014, 04:44 PM
  #349
Front Row
Registered User
 
Front Row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
A must do in LA and I'm surprised it's not already posted here.

http://www.yamashirohollywood.com/

This is a Japanese restaurant in Hollywood with some of the best views of the city.

Itís about 2 miles from Mannís Chinese Theatre (where all the actors shoe impressions are) and the Kodak theatre (or Dolby theater whatever they call in now but itís where the Oscars are hosted.) If you donít have time for dinner the views from the bar are great as well. You can see Griffith Park Observatory, Hollywood, Downtown, and all the way to Santa Monica including the ocean, on a real clear day you can see Catalina Island 30 miles out to sea.

You drive right past the Magic Castle to get there. Another cool place.

Front Row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2014, 11:25 PM
  #350
Canadian Chris
Registered User
 
Canadian Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,200
vCash: 500
Hey guys, my pops and I are headed to the Kings/Canucks game on Monday night. We're driving in from Palm Springs earlier in the day. My dad wants to go to the California Science Center to see the shuttle all that stuff. Just wondering if we actually need to reserve spots for it and how much it actually costs? Any info would be appreciated!! And hopefully we'll see an entertaining game!

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.