HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Group To Unveil Plan To Bring Second Nhl Team To T.o.

Old
06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 500
Report: Group To Unveil Plan To Bring Second Nhl Team To T.o.

A groups is going to announce today their plan to bring a second team to toronto,

does this foil balsillies plan???

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=280940

ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Habs 1909

A poster (Stephen) on the Maple Leafs board brought up good points on why this wouldn't be a good idea:

"-moving a team to the GTA, which is in the center of a well represented part of the continent, at the expense of creating a huge gap in representation in the SW, which is part of the NHL's TV deal

-not growing the game at all, but merely tapping into an existing fanbase

-really disrupting divisional and conference alignment. Accomodating another team in this area screws up the NE Division, or putting them in the Central will force out another team in the west. This is all a pain in the ass for travel.

-disrupting the Toronto Maple Leafs revenue stream and fanbase, as well as local television broadcasts, HNIC, etc.

-Seriously, how do you give this new team HNIC games? At the expense of the Leafs in their own town? I DON'T THINK SO.

-disrupting fanbase for minor league hockey growth with the Battalion, Majors, Marlies.

-hurting the Buffalo Sabres, a small market which is vulnerable and may lose Canadian fans coming down

-where will the second team in the GTA play? A new, useless arena in the suburbs subsidized by tax money?

-This will also hurt the ACC as an arena as it will no doubt be trying to take concert events away from the existing arena. If I have to go to a concert in Woodbridge, that will be a pain in the ass.

-Remains to be seen whether Torontonians will actually go to watch a no name random franchise."

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKomisarek View Post
A poster (Stephen) on the Maple Leafs board brought up good points on why this wouldn't be a good idea:

"-moving a team to the GTA, which is in the center of a well represented part of the continent, at the expense of creating a huge gap in representation in the SW, which is part of the NHL's TV deal

-not growing the game at all, but merely tapping into an existing fanbase

-really disrupting divisional and conference alignment. Accomodating another team in this area screws up the NE Division, or putting them in the Central will force out another team in the west. This is all a pain in the ass for travel.

-disrupting the Toronto Maple Leafs revenue stream and fanbase, as well as local television broadcasts, HNIC, etc.

-Seriously, how do you give this new team HNIC games? At the expense of the Leafs in their own town? I DON'T THINK SO.

-disrupting fanbase for minor league hockey growth with the Battalion, Majors, Marlies.

-hurting the Buffalo Sabres, a small market which is vulnerable and may lose Canadian fans coming down

-where will the second team in the GTA play? A new, useless arena in the suburbs subsidized by tax money?

-This will also hurt the ACC as an arena as it will no doubt be trying to take concert events away from the existing arena. If I have to go to a concert in Woodbridge, that will be a pain in the ass.

-Remains to be seen whether Torontonians will actually go to watch a no name random franchise."
I'm pretty sure they will,they can at least for once have hope in that city when it comes to hockey

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:26 AM
maci4life

"-moving a team to the GTA, which is in the center of a well represented part of the continent, at the expense of creating a huge gap in representation in the SW, which is part of the NHL's TV deal - well, they're going to lose phoenix anyways.

-not growing the game at all, but merely tapping into an existing fanbase - It's called making money for the league, and there's plenty of it in T.O. the NHL and NHLPA like more money

-really disrupting divisional and conference alignment. Accomodating another team in this area screws up the NE Division, or putting them in the Central will force out another team in the west. This is all a pain in the ass for travel. - they would probably go to the western conference. i would assume. i'd worry about the logistics later.

-disrupting the Toronto Maple Leafs revenue stream and fanbase, as well as local television broadcasts, HNIC, etc. - thats MLSE greed talking.

-Seriously, how do you give this new team HNIC games? At the expense of the Leafs in their own town? I DON'T THINK SO. - Last time i checked, it was HOckey night in Canada not HNI Toronto. The beauty about TV these days is that CBC has many channels supporting different regions throughout canada. They could divide it again, much like they do with MTL and Ottawa.

-disrupting fanbase for minor league hockey growth with the Battalion, Majors, Marlies. - How so? if anything, this second team may add another AHL team in the T.O area. WIN WIN situation for hockey fans and the AHL. T.O is a hugely undersaturated market.

-hurting the Buffalo Sabres, a small market which is vulnerable and may lose Canadian fans coming down - Or it may gain more of the T.O fans going to Buffalo games once seats become impossible to obtain just like in the ACC right now. Something a little north of GTA would not be in the Buffalo territory so they can go screw themselves and worry about stregthening their own city's market.

-where will the second team in the GTA play? A new, useless arena in the suburbs subsidized by tax money? - the 1 billion dollar proposal may include the cost of an arena.

-This will also hurt the ACC as an arena as it will no doubt be trying to take concert events away from the existing arena. If I have to go to a concert in Woodbridge, that will be a pain in the ass. - Again. Poor MLSE. I fell so sorry for them. They may have to lower their ticket prices once they actually get competition.

-Remains to be seen whether Torontonians will actually go to watch a no name random franchise. - I for one would. Fans here are very tired of the Leafs off ice shenanigans that affects the on ice performance year in year out. People are getting sick of the Corporatism surrounding the leafs, and the difficulty and over inflated pricing of the seats in ACC. Toronto probably has the largest population of hockey fans that like other teams besides the ML's

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote