HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Playing three forwards in OT pays off for Dallas

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Matts

vCash: 500
Playing three forwards in OT pays off for Dallas

Maybe MacT would eventually done it but he's been loathe to do it in the past.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:47 AM
speeds

Was just gonna start a post on this.

I can handle losing in OT, but a foursome of Moreau, Stoll, Smith, and Brewer when an OT loss vs. tie makes no practical difference?

Old
03-25-2004, 12:48 AM
speeds

and, while I'm second guessing, what was Oates doing out there to end the 3rd?

edit***

in fairness, I don't remember if he came out on the fly, or for a faceoff situation. My memory says the former, but perhaps it was the latter, in which case, myabe not a bad decision at all

Last edited by speeds: 03-25-2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old
03-25-2004, 12:53 AM
mrush

even though hemsky was benched in the 3rd i would have liked him to get a shift in OT since he would be fresh compared to everyone else and since we lost anyways hemsky could have done something maybe or even chimera since he didnt even play he would have a lot of energy.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:54 AM
Matts

Nice call

on Hemsky for the 3rd.

I was pi$$ed about losing the W in reg but once you get to OT, you gotta pull out all the stops and who gives a damn if you give up that point to a team you're not even really chasing.

One thing is for sure, though. If this team could hold a 3rd period lead, we'd be laughing.

That's Det, Phx, Dal, Chi, Van and Dal again.

Did I miss any other game?

Old
03-25-2004, 01:01 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
on Hemsky for the 3rd.

I was pi$$ed about losing the W in reg but once you get to OT, you gotta pull out all the stops and who gives a damn if you give up that point to a team you're not even really chasing.

One thing is for sure, though. If this team could hold a 3rd period lead, we'd be laughing.

That's Det, Phx, Dal, Chi, Van and Dal again.

Did I miss any other game?
umm the big one against LA
lol that killed us too, we could seriously be #1 in the west if it werent for screwups but thats hockey

Old
03-25-2004, 01:16 AM
OYLer

MacT outcoached again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Maybe MacT would eventually done it but he's been loathe to do it in the past.
Coach Craig would rather have tired D-man out there in OT than playing skilled fresh legs and take a SHOT!

Old
03-25-2004, 01:22 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Coach Craig would rather have tired D-man out there in OT than playing skilled fresh legs and take a SHOT!
agreed, i give MacT huge props for what he has done with this team to be in the spot he is in but there are countless games where he has been outcoached. MacT played 9forwards in the 3rd for a long time. They are absolutely tired. MacT could have called a timeout halfway through the OT to rest the troops for at least 45seconds and give words of encouragement but doesnt. The OT was ugly imo.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:27 AM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
in fairness, I don't remember if he came out on the fly, or for a faceoff situation. My memory says the former, but perhaps it was the latter, in which case, myabe not a bad decision at all
No, it was definitely on the fly.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:36 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
No, it was definitely on the fly.
he was on with stoll and moreau instead of laraque.
i dont know but they hopped on and i saw no laraque and i saw oates on and i was like wow hes really a good defensive forward to be on for the 3rd in the late minute. and than they scored.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:40 AM
Walsher

Stoll and moreau were good all night. There are Moreau for MVP threads all over. Mike Modano and Bill Guerin are two of the best in the league. Putting 3 forwards is a beautiful thing, but criticism for not doing it tonight is a shoulda woulda coulda. The Oilers had more than one opportunity to put this baby to bed early. Torres on the breakaway, 4 minute PP (17 secs of 5 on 3) Pisani late in the third, Dvo in OT. To criticize now is just plain ignorant IMO. Hemsky caused a goal tonight by turning the puck over in his own zone, he also created nothing offensively (one decent ruch - no shot on goal). You gotta go with the horses that got you there.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:54 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Stoll and moreau were good all night. There are Moreau for MVP threads all over. Mike Modano and Bill Guerin are two of the best in the league. Putting 3 forwards is a beautiful thing, but criticism for not doing it tonight is a shoulda woulda coulda. The Oilers had more than one opportunity to put this baby to bed early. Torres on the breakaway, 4 minute PP (17 secs of 5 on 3) Pisani late in the third, Dvo in OT. To criticize now is just plain ignorant IMO. Hemsky caused a goal tonight by turning the puck over in his own zone, he also created nothing offensively (one decent ruch - no shot on goal). You gotta go with the horses that got you there.
yah i understand that hemsky did cause the 2nd goal. but i rather give two players who havent played who arent tired at all at least one shift to see if they can gain at least some momentum, ie chimera and hemsky. the other oilers looked tired and couldnt even come back.

look at hartley, with atlanta, kovalchuk did a brutal giveaway and i think it was Florida took the league. Hartley benched him for 10minutes but the last 2 minutes he played him and kovalchuk had a point to prove to the coach and got two points in a minute.

Hemsky and Chimera had something to prove to mact and wasnt given an opportunity you may want to roll with the horses you got but i rather give two guys a shift in OT especially when its 4 on 4 where they can create and do something. well thats just my opinion anyways.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:58 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
yah i understand that hemsky did cause the 2nd goal. but i rather give two players who havent played who arent tired at all at least one shift to see if they can gain at least some momentum, ie chimera and hemsky. the other oilers looked tired and couldnt even come back.

look at hartley, with atlanta, kovalchuk did a brutal giveaway and i think it was Florida took the league. Hartley benched him for 10minutes but the last 2 minutes he played him and kovalchuk had a point to prove to the coach and got two points in a minute.

Hemsky and Chimera had something to prove to mact and wasnt given an opportunity you may want to roll with the horses you got but i rather give two guys a shift in OT especially when its 4 on 4 where they can create and do something. well thats just my opinion anyways.
Hemsky is no Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk is a game breaker - Hemsky has scored twice in months. IMO the lines were 100% correct. The other problem with 3 forwards for the Oilers is they don't have a guy with the defensive ability of Modano and the skating ability of Modano. He has had a terrible year, but he is coming around and is still one of the ultimate 2 way players in the whole league. The Oilers don't have that (was it just me or did Eric Brewer not have 2 of the most exciting rushes of the OT for the oilers? He has also scored big OT winners. Just because they are d-men doesn't mean they are useless offensively.)

Old
03-25-2004, 02:04 AM
mrush

Quote:
Hemsky is no Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk is a game breaker - Hemsky has scored twice in months. IMO the lines were 100% correct. The other problem with 3 forwards for the Oilers is they don't have a guy with the defensive ability of Modano and the skating ability of Modano. He has had a terrible year, but he is coming around and is still one of the ultimate 2 way players in the whole league. The Oilers don't have that (was it just me or did Eric Brewer not have 2 of the most exciting rushes of the OT for the oilers? He has also scored big OT winners. Just because they are d-men doesn't mean they are useless offensively.)
i know he is no kovalchuk but still hemsky can create even though he may have offnights. he can still create especially 4on4. the lines were good but still should have called a timeout at least to rest the players since he went with 9 forwards since the 3rd. And i would have liked hemsky to get a decent chance and redeeming himself by causing a mistake.

Yah i know 2 defensemen arent bad and if we did play 3 forwards i would want Brewer on because i believe he is #1 and i've always supported brewer.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:08 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
i know he is no kovalchuk but still hemsky can create even though he may have offnights. he can still create especially 4on4. the lines were good but still should have called a timeout at least to rest the players since he went with 9 forwards since the 3rd. And i would have liked hemsky to get a decent chance and redeeming himself by causing a mistake.

Yah i know 2 defensemen arent bad and if we did play 3 forwards i would want Brewer on because i believe he is #1 and i've always supported brewer.
Either way, tough one to swallow. I just hope they don't get too down and that they can rebound on Friday. All is not lost. Nashville has an easy sched, but terrible record against the teams they play. Nash and St Louis also play each other which is nice. Edmonton has St Louis once too. Hey a big point, 2 would have been great, but the hope is still alive. I am not going to dwell on would shoulda coulda's. If you told me the Oielrs would have this scenario a month ago - I would have given anything for it. I still say Edmonton is in!

Old
03-25-2004, 02:16 AM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

would hemsky, bergeron, nedved and dvorak not be a good OT line if you want to go out and win the game? I was saying around the 3 min mark of OT to LMHF#1.."we should go with 3 forwards now and try and get that extra point"....then dallas went and scored....

Old
03-25-2004, 02:17 AM
mrush

Quote:
Either way, tough one to swallow. I just hope they don't get too down and that they can rebound on Friday. All is not lost. Nashville has an easy sched, but terrible record against the teams they play. Nash and St Louis also play each other which is nice. Edmonton has St Louis once too. Hey a big point, 2 would have been great, but the hope is still alive. I am not going to dwell on would shoulda coulda's. If you told me the Oielrs would have this scenario a month ago - I would have given anything for it. I still say Edmonton is in!
same but Oilers had this one and honestly i say oliver did kick it in on purpose. he knew the puck was on his skate and i swear i saw his face look down and his skate turned a little just enough for it to go straight to the goal. oh well we at least got one point, yah i still say Edmonton will make it but i want to play colarado now cause we wont make 6th cause of the flames win, but if we play colarado maybe salo will get a start if abby isnt good and shaky and we can light up salo. even though i like salo lol.

we play the kings on friday right? im not sure.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:18 AM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
would hemsky, bergeron, nedved and dvorak not be a good OT line if you want to go out and win the game? I was saying around the 3 min mark of OT to LMHF#1.."we should go with 3 forwards now and try and get that extra point"....then dallas went and scored....
that would be wicked but i rather have brewer instead of bergeron.
i wish hemsky would play with nedved at least just one game if we are either offically in or out because thats what hemsky needs a centre.

Old
03-25-2004, 11:11 AM
speeds

Quote:
Putting 3 forwards is a beautiful thing, but criticism for not doing it tonight is a shoulda woulda coulda. The Oilers had more than one opportunity to put this baby to bed early. Torres on the breakaway, 4 minute PP (17 secs of 5 on 3) Pisani late in the third, Dvo in OT. To criticize now is just plain ignorant IMO.
the only thing "ignorant" is to say that it is "shouda woulda coulda" because I'm sure many people were criticizing it as it happened and not just after the game.

yes they had a bunch of chances earlier, and this was a game they deserved, but what does that have to do with going for it in OT?

Old
03-25-2004, 11:14 AM
oil slick

The thing that cheesed me off was putting Cross out there at the end of regulation (for the goal). I'm not the biggest Cross basher, but IMO he looked completely lost out there for the goal.

Old
03-25-2004, 11:21 AM
oilers24

4 on 4 in ot your need offensive creativity, and offensive talent, who cares if we loose like we did anyways giving a pt to dallas not a big deal, so why wasn't Hemsky out there hes got raw offensive skill we already had the pt so why not give this guy a shift.

Old
03-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
The thing that cheesed me off was putting Cross out there at the end of regulation (for the goal). I'm not the biggest Cross basher, but IMO he looked completely lost out there for the goal.
Bingo. Was just gonna point that out. I can handle 2 forwards and 2 defensemen. At this stage, I would have gone with 4 forwards. But Cross? That makes no sense. I mean, MacT has the presence of mind to bench Hemsky, yet he does something stupid like playing Cross in OT. What's next, pulling Conklin in OT to get the extra attacker. This is bad coaching. Not saying MacT's a bad coach but there is no way to justify this move, expecially with the way MAB is playing lately.

Old
03-25-2004, 11:41 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I seem to recall Mac-T getting lambasted earlier when he sat Hemsky for a while, and used him pretty much just on the PP.

Things like "How do you expect him to perform after sitting all that time?" were a pretty common question, along with "It's unfair to put that pressure on him after he was sitting on the bench".

So which is it? Is it okay to put Hemsky on in an important part of the game when he hasn't been playing or isn't it?

Old
03-25-2004, 01:44 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
the only thing "ignorant" is to say that it is "shouda woulda coulda" because I'm sure many people were criticizing it as it happened and not just after the game.

yes they had a bunch of chances earlier, and this was a game they deserved, but what does that have to do with going for it in OT?
Why were the best chances in OT generated byt Smith and Brewer? Why has Marc Andre Bergeron been one of the most consistent offensive threats in recent memory? Why does Ales Hemsky suck so bad since December? Having 2 d-men out there is not a problem at all - especially with how Brewer rushes the puck 4 on 4. This IMO is a witchhunt looking to place unfair blame on the coach. The Oilers were "going for it", they don't need 3 forwards to go for it. Maybe they should have pulled the goalie to and resurrected Petr Klima from retirement. That would have ensured the win right? They are successful 4 on 4 with Brewer/Smith - Bergeron/Ulanov - they don't require 3 forwards to score a goal 4 on 4, and I doubt they would have scored with 3 last night. But it is easy to criticize after the fact - that is the only point I am trying to make. They score - nothing but praise, they don't - bad coaching. It was good coaching - bottom line!

Last edited by Walsher: 03-25-2004 at 01:48 PM.
Old
03-25-2004, 01:48 PM
speeds

agree to disagree.

I'd definitely have started OT looking to go with 3F and 1D, and taking it from there.

Closed Thread