HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Playing three forwards in OT pays off for Dallas

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 12:49 PM
mrush

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Why were the best chances in OT generated byt Smith and Brewer? Why has Marc Andre Bergeron been one of the most consistent offensive threats in recent memory? Why does Ales Hemsky suck so bad since December? Having 2 d-men out there is not a problem at all - especially with how Brewer rushes the puck 4 on 4. This IMO is a witchhunt looking to place unfair blame on the coach. It was good coaching - bottom line!
why hemsky sucks since december, because of Oates and horcoff, Hemsky needs a good centre who is a two way centre ie marchant, thats why whenever reasoner comes back i say put hemsky with him. they had good games when 18-19-83 were on but than reasoner was gone right away.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
The thing that cheesed me off was putting Cross out there at the end of regulation (for the goal). I'm not the biggest Cross basher, but IMO he looked completely lost out there for the goal.
Cross and Staios were pathetic all night. No clue as to how to break out of their own zone. Any pressure and they were screwed. Stios was the cause of the first goal after coughing it up in his own zone - and Cross the result of the 3rd goal. Extremely ugly performance for both last night.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrush
why hemsky sucks since december, because of Oates and horcoff, Hemsky needs a good centre who is a two way centre ie marchant, thats why whenever reasoner comes back i say put hemsky with him. they had good games when 18-19-83 were on but than reasoner was gone right away.
Good players find a way to get the job done. Torres excells with whoever you play him with. York excells with whoever you put him with. Horcoff is a good 2-way center, Stoll is a good 2 way center. If Ales Hemsky is completely useless when he doesn't have a certain player between him and his winger than he is completely useless period. The kid needs to be more flexible than that. He needs to contribute - he hasn't - he needs to mature.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
same but Oilers had this one and honestly i say oliver did kick it in on purpose. he knew the puck was on his skate and i swear i saw his face look down and his skate turned a little just enough for it to go straight to the goal.
You are allowed to turn/move your skate to direct/deflect the puck in, so long as there isnt a 'distinct kicking motion', which there clearly wasnt.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsfan09
You are allowed to turn/move your skate to direct/deflect the puck in, so long as there isnt a 'distinct kicking motion', which there clearly wasnt.
That is correct. Oliver had his back turned and had no way of knowing where the puck was. It hit his skate but it was incidental and there was no kicking motion. Unlucky for the Oilers but a legitimate goal nonetheless.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:25 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
agree to disagree.

I'd definitely have started OT looking to go with 3F and 1D, and taking it from there.
Would you do that with Modanno and Guerin starting for the Stars?

I certainly agree that when you are playing against a team who doesn't affect you standings wise, you need to be going for the win...

That being said, it doesn't mean you are careless and throw whoever out there just to score the goal. I mean if you put 3 forwards out there and Dallas scored 15 seconds into OT, what have you accomplished? Nothing. Just because you need a win it doesn't mean you go balls to the wall and throw all caution out the wind to get it. You still have to pick your spots and sometimes you have to back off a little in order to make sure you get to a point where you can win the game. There are only a handful of players in the league who I wouldn't skate 3F-1D against... they are Modanno, Sakic, Forsberg, Iginla and Sundin. These players in particular are extremely dangerous on the counter-attack, they create all kinds of turnovers, they all have excellent speed and they can all put the puck in the net.

I went to bed after the first period last night, so I am not commenting on the game specifically, I am just generalizing. I have no idea how much Modanno played in OT, nor do I know where the face-offs were in OT (you don't put 3F-1D on a defensive zone face-off).

Old
03-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
that would be wicked but i rather have brewer instead of bergeron.
i wish hemsky would play with nedved at least just one game if we are either offically in or out because thats what hemsky needs a centre.
Geez, think of the team for once! STOP being a Hemsky pusher and think about the entire team. The Oilers picked up Nedved because we need a top line and centre AND because Nedved has proven chemistry with Dvorak. Don't mess that by replacing Dvorak with Hemsky! And don't give me the stupid idea of switching Hemsky to the LW, IN THE MIDDLE OF A PLAYOFF PUSH. You go with what works. You don't experiment by putting Hemsky into an unfamiliar position. If Hemsky can't hack it right now with the Smyth - Horcoff line or the Oates line or whatever line, then too bad! Who's more valuable RIGHT NOW? Hemsky or Pisani? In the longterm, it's obviously Hemsky. Right now - its Pisani.

Everyone here accuses Mactavish of Playing Favorites with his love child Horcoff, or previously Cleary. You are DOING THE EXACT SAME THING with Hemsky.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Big T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
would hemsky, bergeron, nedved and dvorak not be a good OT line if you want to go out and win the game? I was saying around the 3 min mark of OT to LMHF#1.."we should go with 3 forwards now and try and get that extra point"....then dallas went and scored....
Not Hemsky, but Smyth would be the way to go.

T

Old
03-25-2004, 03:37 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Would you do that with Modanno and Guerin starting for the Stars?
maybe not, good point. my sentiment remains the same though, in that you are the home team, there are some matchups you don't want but others you do, and more often than not I would be pushing for offense in that 4 on 4 situation.

not 2 D all the time as was the case last night in OT.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Matts

Speeds I don't know about starting OT 3-1

but after a couple of min in I would've defintely went for it. Giving away the point meant nothing because we're not chasing Dallas.

And I'd say taht 2 min into the OT I'd be throwing out Bergeron and Hemksy and guys like that.

It isn't a time where you're concerned if you get scored on, you just want to try and grab that point yourself.

But that's not the way MacT coaches.

And walsher this isn't a could wouda thing from me regarding tonight. From game 1-82, I'll am for going for the point in OT whenever we play an Eastern Conference team.

And then when the season winds down and you're playing a team that won't make a dent on your lead with the extra point, then you go for it as well then.

Old
03-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
but after a couple of min in I would've defintely went for it. Giving away the point meant nothing because we're not chasing Dallas.

And I'd say taht 2 min into the OT I'd be throwing out Bergeron and Hemksy and guys like that.

It isn't a time where you're concerned if you get scored on, you just want to try and grab that point yourself.

But that's not the way MacT coaches.

And walsher this isn't a could wouda thing from me regarding tonight. From game 1-82, I'll am for going for the point in OT whenever we play an Eastern Conference team.

And then when the season winds down and you're playing a team that won't make a dent on your lead with the extra point, then you go for it as well then.
They were going for it - that is my point. They had several dangerous rushes - Brewer on a couple occassions and Dvorak a couple times as well. You don't need 3 forwards to make an offensive chance in 4 on 4 OT. The Oilers had as good a chance to win that game as the stars - they made the play - Edmonton didn't. It wasn't due to the fact we had 2 d-men on the ice. Brewer was the best player for the Oilers (except for maybe Pisani) and Bergeron has been a consistent scorer. They were out there in OT, they have been and are as dangerous offensively in 4 on 4 than any of the forwards. I don't see the validity in the criticism. Why not pull the goalie too then? THat would be "going for it". The Oilers gave themselves the highest percentage chance for success and they lost. Guerin, Modano, Bure on the ice and we think that the Oilers have 3 forwards that could come close to matching that? Well coached game, well coached year.

Old
03-25-2004, 10:16 PM
Matts

Yeah

well try and be more sensible here pulling the goalie negates the point. I'm sure you knew that, I'm sure I remember Murray scoring into an EN to knock out the Dys in '00

You'll get more opps with three forwards. You'll also give up more but the point was to get that extra point

Old
03-26-2004, 06:49 AM
Yanner39

The Oilers have the guns to put three forwards out in OT. That's a no-brainer. I still don't mind having MAB and Brew out there. Having Zamboni Cross out there is inexcusable.

Closed Thread