HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson rumors/speculations / Hammond blog

Old
06-05-2009, 11:24 AM
ReggieMoto

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Jack Johnson rumors/speculations / Hammond blog

Didn't know if anyone else had seen this or not. If it's old news, mods can delete or merge.

Quote:
* Discussions have continued between the LA Kings and Tampa Bay Lightning regarding star center Vincent Lecavalier.

* One scenario gaining some steam is the Kings sending Jack Johnson to Tampa Bay as apart of a three to four player package to land Lecavalier.

With Johnson not interested in playing for Tampa Bay, the Lightning would then turn to Pittsburgh and look to land Pittsburgh’s Jordan Staal with Jack Johnson as their bargaining chip.

Tampa Bay aggressively pursued Staal at the trade deadline. Jack Johnson and Sidney Crosby remain best friends and Johnson wants to play for Pittsburgh.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
Didn't know if anyone else had seen this or not. If it's old news, mods can delete or merge.
If JJ really wants to play with Sid, then cut out the middle man. DL should just trade JJ to PIT for Staal. Staal has a much better contract than Vinny.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:31 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
If JJ really wants to play with Sid, then cut out the middle man. DL should just trade JJ to PIT for Staal. Staal has a much better contract than Vinny.
he should Vinnie is a much better player than Staal...

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Defgarden

I think Staal is a good player and all, and he certainly won't get top line minutes playing in pittsburgh, but is he really the player we want?

He's definitely young, and would fit in well with the group we have, but he good enough to be our #2? Will he improve the team enough to make the playoffs? (I doubt it, and DL's fate may actually depend on it).

I don't see a move for Staal unless some other proven veteran winners are signed/aquired as well to compliment the move (thus, continuing the same pattern the team has followed the last two years or so).

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
I think Staal is a good player and all, and he certainly won't get top line minutes playing in pittsburgh, but is he really the player we want?

He's definitely young, and would fit in well with the group we have, but he good enough to be our #2? Will he improve the team enough to make the playoffs? (I doubt it, and DL's fate may actually depend on it).

I don't see a move for Staal unless some other proven veteran winners are signed/aquired as well to compliment the move (thus, continuing the same pattern the team has followed the last two years or so).
I agree with this.

I think you guys need that one established, elite player. Not another above average young gun. I dont see why you make that trade. Thats not gonna take you to the next level.

About the OP...I would be pretty disappointed if we traded Vinny for a package including JJ and he refused to play here. Other than that, I think this guy from Pittsburgh is full of it. I would think that if Pitt was gonna trade Staal, it would be for a winger, not a prospect defenseman.

Mr Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 01:13 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
About the OP...I would be pretty disappointed if we traded Vinny for a package including JJ and he refused to play here.
I wonder if that's what has been driving the discussions with the Russian league.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:03 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
I wonder if that's what has been driving the discussions with the Russian league.
Let's review what we know

Jack and the Kings agree on the terms for an extension.
Jack gets hurt and extension doesn't get signed
Jack changes agents
Jack's Dad is calling Russia

Jack wants more money and thinks He is worth more than He really is

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:11 PM
ReggieMoto

Let's continue to review what we know:

Jack is being shopped and Tampa is interested, but Jack doesn't want to go to Tampa.
If Jack stays in the NHL and the trade gets made, he has to go to Tampa.
Jack's Dad is calling Russia.

Jack wants more money and may have to play in Russia to get it.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Let's continue to review what we know:

Jack is being shopped and Tampa is interested, but Jack doesn't want to go to Tampa.
If Jack stays in the NHL and the trade gets made, he has to go to Tampa.
Jack's Dad is calling Russia.

Jack wants more money and may have to play in Russia to get it.
But we are in a chicken or egg situation with the Tampa Rumors and Jack's Dad calling Russia. We don't know which came first.

I could easily see a situation that you described but I can also just as easily see a situation where Jack's agent asked for too much and the Kings held the line, Jacks Dad called Russia, The Kings found out and decided that He is trade bait.

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I think it's more like Jack's dad wanting to see how much Jack was worth if he went to the KHL so he could use it as a bargaining chip in negotiations.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

1. Rutherford must be laughing.

2. Staal is a very good player and I can see Dean doing that trade but only if we get more than just Staal. A 1st may do it. You think Jack for Staal and Orpik is too much for the Pens?

3. I can see why Jack "idolized" Rob Blake. If what I am reading is true, he is the second coming of that Judas.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

No kidding. Looks like Blake did a good job of mentoring Jack in the ways of the NHL. Yikes.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Omni Owl

Well if we get Staal, would that be enough of a solid punch down the middle with Kopitar? The good thing is that he's young, but what is his upside?

Lecavalier would be my first choice of course.

If we can't acquire Vinny, a good plan B would be someone like Patrice Bergeron, if Boston is willing.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
butthead666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
1. Rutherford must be laughing.

2. Staal is a very good player and I can see Dean doing that trade but only if we get more than just Staal. A 1st may do it. You think Jack for Staal and Orpik is too much for the Pens?

3. I can see why Jack "idolized" Rob Blake. If what I am reading is true, he is the second coming of that Judas.
No way Pitt adds Orpik to the deal. In fact I would think that Pitt would ask for a second rounder or another piece to make the deal. Staal is signed and Jack is not.
If Jack wants 5.5 per year as reported he is going to be hard to sign. Knowing DL he would probably offer JJ 5.5 for a 3-year deal. JJ has not done enough at this point to earn POS numbers. If he actually thinks he is worth or wants 5.5 (or anything close to that) per season he has played his last game in Los Angeles. Frolov will be getting about 5.5 on his next contract and he has actually earned it with his play.

butthead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:34 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
But we are in a chicken or egg situation with the Tampa Rumors and Jack's Dad calling Russia. We don't know which came first.
Sure, and I am not really disagreeing or arguing with you. This is really just idle chatter.

I wonder if Jack's agent caught a whiff somehow of Tampa's interest. After all, it's no secret that:
a) Tampa has been interested in seeing Vinnie moved; that's kind of been known a little while;
b) There have been hints of trade rumors regarding Jack, also for a little while now;
c) LA is one of the few teams capable of taking on VL's albatross of a contract;
d) Tampa certainly needs defense.

Like you say, a lot of this depends on the time line and who can know outside of the teams' FOs and the agents/players what that time line really is.

But it is true, right, that if the trade were to occur, Jack would have no choice but to either play in Tampa or pursue his career in another league? And when not bankrupt (ha-ha), the Russian league certainly pays.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Maybe as part of the negotiations, TB has asked for permission to talk to Jack's representatives in order to negotiate a contract extension prioir to agreeing to a trade with LA.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:45 PM
piston

Send a message via AIM to piston
Before we all rag on Johnson, isn't it possible that DL is orchestrating this with carefully orchestrated leaks? Think about it- a year ago, the idea of trading JJ was unthinkable. Now, we can't wait to ship his butt out of town. I am not saying Johnson has been blameless here, but DL (whom I unequivocally support) has shown himself as an expert in shaping the fans' opinions on various players.

piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabwaylingo View Post
Well if we get Staal, would that be enough of a solid punch down the middle with Kopitar? The good thing is that he's young, but what is his upside?

Lecavalier would be my first choice of course.

If we can't acquire Vinny, a good plan B would be someone like Patrice Bergeron, if Boston is willing.
Take Schenn with the fifth and the trade Johnson for Staal. Staal at least will be one of the top defensive players in the league for the next ten years. Take a chance on him developing his offensive game and take a chance on Schenn becoming the player he's been in juniors, and we're pretty much set down the middle for the next 5-7.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
Before we all rag on Johnson, isn't it possible that DL is orchestrating this with carefully orchestrated leaks? Think about it- a year ago, the idea of trading JJ was unthinkable. Now, we can't wait to ship his butt out of town. I am not saying Johnson has been blameless here, but DL (whom I unequivocally support) has shown himself as an expert in shaping the fans' opinions on various players.
There is little doubt about it. I pretty sure that's what Hammonds blog is for.

Old
06-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Johnny Utah

Is there any validity to any of these rumors? Is this all heresay?

A lot of stuff has to fall into place for Tampa to trade there marquee player for a bunch of players, one of which doesn't even want to play there and then hope the Pens, who are in the finals ,and have a solid top 6 D, would even deal Staal for Johnson straight up.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think Johnson's (or Senior's) antics is what has aggravated the fans to turn against him. If he is going to be a constant headcase and demand more than he is worth and considering going to Russia to earn more money, then it is better for the team to cut all association with Johnson and his reps.

One also has to wonder why he'd drop one of the most well-respected agents in hockey in Pat Brisson...

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:00 PM
butthead666

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston View Post
Definitely a possibility.

Old
06-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think Johnson's (or Senior's) antics is what has aggravated the fans to turn against him. If he is going to be a constant headcase and demand more than he is worth and considering going to Russia to earn more money, then it is better for the team to cut all association with Johnson and his reps.

One also has to wonder why he'd drop one of the most well-respected agents in hockey in Pat Brisson...
What is he worth? Isn't that what negotiations are for? I would have to guess finding out what Jack was worth was part of the reason for the call to the KHL.

Old
06-05-2009, 03:04 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
There is little doubt about it. I pretty sure that's what Hammonds blog is for.
Ooooh, funny, but low.

This whole Johnson headache better turn out one way or another in our favor. Either Jack gets signed for a reasonable deal and we watch him develop, or he gets traded for a big upgrade in scoring. Any other outcome will leave me feeling extremely bitter at DL for the first time since Cloutier.

This is a pretty far fetched rumor, but at this I really have no idea who or what to believe.

Its time Jack came out and say something.

As for Staal... I don't think he is the 2nd line center we want. I think point-wise he'd be about as productive as Stoll. Now Staal is a beastly player, and if DL is planning on trading Zus or Stoll, Staal would be the PERFECT guy to have to replace them in 2-3 years as 3rd line center for the next several years (assuming we resigned him after his current contract is up). I really like J. Staal, and have always hoped the Kings would nab A Staal brother of some kind, but truly with the make-up of our team, I don't think J. Staal really makes us more competative.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:06 PM
butthead666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Take Schenn with the fifth and the trade Johnson for Staal. Staal at least will be one of the top defensive players in the league for the next ten years. Take a chance on him developing his offensive game and take a chance on Schenn becoming the player he's been in juniors, and we're pretty much set down the middle for the next 5-7.
Staal would be a 2nd line center on most teams but Pens are not most teams. Staal would have better numbers on just about any other team playing on 2nd line. I see him as a 30/30 guy getting 2nd line minutes and some power play time as well. He is very good on pk and good defensively but doubt that he will ever be as good offensively as his brother but maybe a better all-around player. You have to love the fact that he has taken his role in Pitt without complaining and isa great team guy from all accounts. Staal is a winner.