HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kovalchuk must be brought to New York.

Old
06-05-2009, 05:24 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

vCash: 500
kovalchuk will re-sign wit us

stop with these stupid proposals

John Cena* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Enstrom39

We could have saved a lot of time and just brought the last 5 "trade Kovalchuk to team ___ threads"

Nobody ever gives any thought to what Atlanta wants and needs. It's the same old song. "I want Kovalchuk, here's a 1st rounder, a player and some prospects I'm not so high on anymore"

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 05:48 PM
PromNite
This is awkward...

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
kovalchuk will re-sign wit us

stop with these stupid proposals
It wasn't a stupid proposal.

I don't think it will ever happen, as we don't have the pieces to acquire the almighty Ilya, but it was a good proposal, value-wise.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Atlanta would be stupid not to take the original deal.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:54 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
On the low side, Kovalchuk will ask for 6 million.

Is it really smart having 20 million tied up in 3 forward? Not to mention that another 11 million is tied up in two defensemen. All of these contracts are hard to move, as well...
which is what we gave redden hahahahahahaha redden=kovalchuk

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
When a player talks to foreign press (ie: Kovalchuk's recent interview in Russia), I'm pretty sure their first thought isn't to sugar-coat it just in case it gets back to the states. You can see an example of that with Maxine Talbot's recent comments in an interview with a Montreal radio station, which are pretty different from the comments he made to the Penguins' website.

Kovalchuk told the Russian media that he wants to play here, win here ("Atlanta deserves the Stanley Cup"), and eventually retire here. He wants to be a career Thrasher.

For Kovalchuk to be a career Thrasher, though, D-Wad and ownership need to commit to the team. No more screwing around.

You can doubt it and play up the merits of playing for the Rangers all you want. You can play up your Russian community as well (Atlanta has a rather large one too, you know. Just sayin') And, who knows, he might play for the Rangers one day. But to come in and write it all off as "what else is he going to say?" while promoting NYR as THE team for Russians to play for is fairly disingenuous.
I don't think it's disingenuous at all. On the contrary, if anyone is being disingenuous, it's the Atlanta fans who think that just because he says such a thing, it automatically means he's being sincere. I'm not saying he isn't. What I'm saying is that whether he is or isn't, he's probably not going to say anything negative about it to any press, especially in today's world where foreign press doesn't mean. It's a much smaller world than it used to be, and news travels fast.

You said it yourself, they need to prove that they are in it to win it, as they say. So far, I don't think that's happened. Maybe it will this summer, but I have my doubts. I don't think Atlanta is a particularly desirable locale for free agents, for numerous reasons, not the least of which is their positioning in the Eastern Conference. The East has a lot of strong teams, and a lot of up and coming teams.

And I'm not promoting the Rangers as THE team for Russians to play for. I don't need to do any such promotion, because it's obvious that that's the case. I'm not promoting anything, I'm just stating the way things are. I'm pretty confident that, being Russian and dealing with Russian people on a daily basis, not to mention being an enormous hockey fan, I've got a more well-rounded point of view on this topic. Besides, like I said before, I personally hate Brighton Beach and dislike going there, and as a Ranger fan, there have been plenty of Russians on this team that I wish had never come. Not all Russians are great players. Also, I have family friends, Russians, who have lived here and live Atlanta now. They say that while the Russian community is growing there, it's not even remotely close to being what Brighton is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
Nobody ever gives any thought to what Atlanta wants and needs. It's the same old song. "I want Kovalchuk, here's a 1st rounder, a player and some prospects I'm not so high on anymore"
Who cares what Atlanta wants and needs? What Atlanta wants and needs is for Kovalchuk to sign a contract extension. If he chooses not to do so, then what they want and need is no longer all that important. If and when Kovalchuk tells them he is not going to re-sign, then they are no longer in the driver's seat. Sure, they can pick and choose between the offers from various teams that will want to rent him, but if they're looking for some kind of huge offer, they'll only get it if he agrees to a contract extension before hand. IF he agrees to do that, which I don't think he will, then he surely won't agree to do so with just any team. It will likely be a small group of teams that he would be interested in playing for, some of which may or may not have the cap space to re-sign him, which means the demands the Thrashers make aren't as relevant. They may not be able to get the exact kind of package they want for him. If they don't like that, they'll have to settle for trading him as a rental for a much smaller haul. Other than that, the only choice they would have is letting him walk.

If Kovalchuk decides not to re-sign, they're not in control. He will determine what kind of package they get for him, depending on whether or not he wants to agree to a contract extension before hand, and where he would agree to go.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 07:02 PM
Varius

I thought Kovalchuk was happy now with Rich Peverley as his center.

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
That's a pretty good offer the first one.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
1st: Datsyuk is another, Thornton is another, Zetterberg is another and Heatley is another.
i stopped reading after that

i couldn't stop laughing

datsyuk and zetterberg are close but not nearly the game breakers. thornton is one of the best passers in the game but once again not nearly as good a shooter

i don't even know where to start with heatley. not one aspect of his game is better than kovalchuk's. not one.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 07:16 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
And I'm not promoting the Rangers as THE team for Russians to play for. I don't need to do any such promotion, because it's obvious that that's the case. I'm not promoting anything, I'm just stating the way things are. I'm pretty confident that, being Russian and dealing with Russian people on a daily basis, not to mention being an enormous hockey fan, I've got a more well-rounded point of view on this topic. Besides, like I said before, I personally hate Brighton Beach and dislike going there, and as a Ranger fan, there have been plenty of Russians on this team that I wish had never come. Not all Russians are great players. Also, I have family friends, Russians, who have lived here and live Atlanta now. They say that while the Russian community is growing there, it's not even remotely close to being what Brighton is.
Just curious. Who is the last big name Russian UFA to sign with NYR? Kalinin?

Slava Kozlov took less to sign with Atlanta than Dallas a couple of years ago, contingent on him getting a NTC.

Quote:
Who cares what Atlanta wants and needs?
Our point exactly.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 07:49 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Just curious. Who is the last big name Russian UFA to sign with NYR? Kalinin?

Slava Kozlov took less to sign with Atlanta than Dallas a couple of years ago, contingent on him getting a NTC.
Just curious, who was the last big name Russian UFA?

Kozlov doesn't want to leave Atlanta. Good for him. He's also in a much different position in his career than Kovalchuk.

Quote:
Our point exactly.
What is your point? That other fans don't care what Atlanta wants? That's not what my post was about, and you certainly know that, unless you just read one sentence.

You quoted that one line, but you didn't address my actual point. I think it's pretty valid. If Kovalchuk doesn't re-sign, then what Atlanta wants is kind of irrelevant. That's the way pro sports works today. When dealing with star players, they have the power, not the teams. The players are in control of the situation.

The package they get in return for him will depend on choices he makes.

Old
06-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
Atlanta would be stupid not to take the original deal.
About as "stupid" as the Pens would be not to take one of the mega-offers for Malkin that appear here daily.

If they cannot sign him, yes, you consider it.

"If".

The first option is to sign him.

You BUILD AROUND superstar talents in their mid-20s. Not trade them.

And there is no indication that Kovalchuk has ruled out re-signing, contrary to HF hopes, wishes and baseless speculation.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Go Habs Go

I would do this trade if I was the Rangers. If he leaves, you get a top 5 pick?

If I were the Thrashers, I wouldn't do this. Losing Kovalchuk might mean relocation of the whole team. Marc Staal isn't going to bring fans.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 08:12 PM
24giovanni

According to Savard, he wants to come to play for the Bruins.

24giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

There's no point arguing with deluded Rangers fans who think every player wants to come and play for New York and they can get a top 10 player in the NHL while giving good but not fantastic players or prospects.

Hypothetically, if Kovalchuk wants to player for New York Rangers then they would have to give up their best player Lundqvist plus other players and or picks. That's the cost of top 10 player in the NHL.

Also I really don't get the Marc Staal love in. Yes he is a good young player and yes he is very good defensively but offers nothing on the offensive side and personally I would take a very good two way player like Enstrom over a one-dimensional Staal.

Peter Sidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Theres no way Kovalchuk will resign in New York. The team is not going to win anything for a long time. This guy cares about winning.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
There's no point arguing with deluded Rangers fans who think every player wants to come and play for New York and they can get a top 10 player in the NHL while giving good but not fantastic players or prospects.

Hypothetically, if Kovalchuk wants to player for New York Rangers then they would have to give up their best player Lundqvist plus other players and or picks. That's the cost of top 10 player in the NHL.

Also I really don't get the Marc Staal love in. Yes he is a good young player and yes he is very good defensively but offers nothing on the offensive side and personally I would take a very good two way player like Enstrom over a one-dimensional Staal.

Are you always this hopelessly delusional?

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:13 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post

Based on these two arguments, I don't think you really "get" the sport. You realize Henrik Lundqvist is one of the top 3-4 goaltenders in the league, right? Lundqvist can carry a ****** team to the playoffs, Kovalchuk cannot.

How do you know what Marc Staal does or does not offer on the offensive side? Has Marc Staal gotten the opportunity in the NHL to show off his offensive side? No. Has he been given PP time? No. Does he play on a terrible offensive team? Yes. Did he have a coach who stresses defense and likes to bring along young players slowly? Yes. Marc Staal is just 22 years old, and Renney was determined to make him into a stud defensively, which he did. He's the best defenseman on one of the best defensive teams in the league. With Tortorella, he's now going to have a chance to develop the rest of his game.

I think Enstrom is a very nice player, and I'd love him on my team, but he's also 24, nearly 25, and not nearly the defensive player that Staal is. 2-3 years is a big difference for a defenseman. Willing to bet most GMs would take Staal over Enstrom, given the chance.

Old
06-05-2009, 10:22 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
Theres no way Kovalchuk will resign in New York. The team is not going to win anything for a long time. This guy cares about winning.
yes, kovalchuk certainly has won alot of playoff games in atlanta

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:36 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
How do you know what Marc Staal does or does not offer on the offensive side? Has Marc Staal gotten the opportunity in the NHL to show off his offensive side? No. Has he been given PP time? No. Does he play on a terrible offensive team? Yes. Did he have a coach who stresses defense and likes to bring along young players slowly? Yes. Marc Staal is just 22 years old, and Renney was determined to make him into a stud defensively, which he did. He's the best defenseman on one of the best defensive teams in the league. With Tortorella, he's now going to have a chance to develop the rest of his game.

I think Enstrom is a very nice player, and I'd love him on my team, but he's also 24, nearly 25, and not nearly the defensive player that Staal is. 2-3 years is a big difference for a defenseman. Willing to bet most GMs would take Staal over Enstrom, given the chance.
I would argue the Enstrom-Staal comparison on this point.

Do you want the defenseman whose performance is likely boosted by playing on a team that is committed to a strong defensive approach. Or do you want the defenseman who plays a very strong defensive game on a team that plays a fast paced and uptempo game that leaves defenseman exposed way too often?

Switch them right now and Enstrom would be getting pimped by Rangers fans as hard as The King.

Look I would gladly take Staal if Ilya has to be moved, but I think he is likely better offensively and worse defensively outside of Renny's/ the Rangers system.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:38 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
yes, kovalchuk certainly has won alot of playoff games in atlanta
exactly the point. Why would he sign with another loser? He wont. Kovalchuk has made it very clear that even though he loves it in Atlanta, he wont stay unless there are huge changes(which there wont be)

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:42 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
It's a match made in heaven.

I don't do many trade proposals these days, but if Kovalchuk is to come to NY in a trade, Marc Staal will be going back the other way. Pretty sure that's set in stone. I don't like it, but I think that's the way it is.

To New York:

Ilya Kovalchuk
Conditional 1st in 2011 if he does not re-sign

To Atlanta:

Marc Staal
Brandon Dubinsky/Ryan Callahan (your choice)
Artem Anisimov
Salary dump of some sort (not sure who the Thrashers would take, but possibly either Gomez or Rozsival)
1st round pick 2009
Conditional 1st in 2011 if he does re-sign

As much as i would want Kovulchuk in NY i dont think hes worth all that talent. You obviously have to give to get, but i think you should only give 1 out of staal/callahan/dubi not 2. And i think Kovulchuk becomes a free agent after next season so would it be worth giving up all these players when he could just go and sign with another team after next?

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:43 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I think if you trade Kovalchuk, you kill a market.

Won't happen, I don't think.
this.

kyle evs48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:11 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Based on these two arguments, I don't think you really "get" the sport. You realize Henrik Lundqvist is one of the top 3-4 goaltenders in the league, right? Lundqvist can carry a ****** team to the playoffs, Kovalchuk cannot.

I don't think anyone is trying to say "OMG OMG OMG ENSTROM >>> STAAL LOL THIS IS BAD PROPOSAL LOL". What people are trying to say is that Bogosian-Enstrom as a 1st defensive unit pairing is already pretty awesome. Marc Staal would certainly strengthen the core, but at what cost is he worth it? Is it worth it removing the lynchpin of their offense? I'd rather try and try and try to re-sign Kovy than do anything else. Because if he leaves, even for a return like this... Atlanta is screwed.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:37 PM
oilsands
shut 'em down.

Typical rangers mentality.... trade the future for the now.

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote