HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Glen Metropolit

Old
06-05-2009, 03:48 PM
euphrates

vCash: 500
he made his bed, lets let him sleep in it

and i hope he does not fall out of it and gets hurt again

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post

HAHAHA....well it is Briere....if he DID fall out of the bed, he would get hurt for sure....he's a little wimp!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Ok so I'm freaking bored as hell at work, anyway last night I was watching comcast sports news as they were talking about the flyers signing Ray Emery (not official until July 1st but it's a done deal) so they were interviewing different flyers like Asham, Randy Jones etc... on what they thought about Emery coming to philly and sure enough there was Metro being interviewed. I thought it was kind of odd that he would at the flyers training facility in New Jersey, granted he could have just been picking some things up but it also seemed odd they would interview him since he's not on the team any longer.

Granted I was not sober at the time but it was him. So I got 3 hours to kill still, damn it.
That's funny because I was half asleep watching Game 1 of the NBA Finals last night from LA. At one point in the game, it did the usual show all the celebrities in the LA crowd. When it showed one of the celebrities (can't remember who it was), I noticed former Hab Sheldon Souray sitting directly behind that celebrity in the 2nd row.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 04:22 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post

Exactly, let him stew in his own contract and yes let Philly stew also.
Philly was glad to outbid the habs and now they are crying to the NHL that the CAP is causing them problems and they can't buy even more players or keep some they have.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.
It's not like they did not know all the CAP rules. Philly gambled and now have lost and now they don't want to pay the price.

I don't care, in fact I am rather glad Philly has problems

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

I thought that he was one of our best players during the playoffs.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 04:32 PM
danyhabsfan

agree
hes got surprisely quick hands

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Then again if somehow we ran into cap problems, Chipchura should likely be re-signed on the cheap (say 550K) and Metro makes 1M, granted at this point and time we got a ton o cap space but if Gainey can get some impact players and we were up against the cap (say it goes down to 54M) then that might be an option as well.
IMHO that shouldn't be a problem. Gainey seems to like having deep lineup and especially a few extra grinders, and with all the injuries we had this season, I don't see Metro being dealt.

Dandenault and Begin were costing us way more and they were having essentially the same role.

Metropolit is a great insurance policy.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by preston View Post
I like the idea of a youth movement. But I don't know how patient I am either. May not be such an issue if the regressing of many of our youth (or the team as a whole) was an abnormality. I guess we won't know until next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Are you serious??? Briere is the wrong guy to look to in that department.

Besides....with Vinny you know he's gonna score at least 80 points a season, Briere could be injured most of the time like he was last year and then we're paying for a dead horse.
Good point. Also the difference in cap space isn't as bad as I thought as Vinny's hit is around 7.8 (Briere would save us 1.3).

The one mitigating factor I could think of is the cost to acquire Vinny. He'll cost a lot. Briere should be much much less.

Say we get a #1C and get to keep more prospects/picks, plus save the quid. That's sort of where I'm coming from.

That said, all things equal I, too, prefer Vinny.

Quote:
The smarter team move would be to sign Vinny over Briere......PLUS....Briere turned down our excellent offer a couple years ago to go to Philly instead....he made his bed, lets let him sleep in it.
This burned me at the time. However put him in the right colours, let him pot a few for us and I could forgive him.

Give him some big wingers to help with the physicality, say Latendresse (maybe even Pacioretty - if he's ready) and his buddy Knuble is also a free agent.

But you're right, I'll admit, Briere is not going to carry a team like Vinny could.

Quote:
If a young player can beat Metro out and cost less than $1 million....we'd be foolish to try and keep Metro.

But I will admit I like the way Metro plays and would take him back in a heartbeat.
Agreed... He's a good vet. And like others pointed out we had more expensive help in the press box for most of last year.

Maybe we do keep him around, there'll be injuries and a bird in hand is better than two in the bush.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
WOW. he has friends on the team, what breaking news.

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 08:09 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Briere is now 6 years (granted that's pretty long) at 6.5 mil. I'd take him over Vinny factoring in contract. We'll have trouble inking an UFA if we don't offer a similar contract (5 or 6 years). Briere is a productive palyer. I like him, somehow.

Your point is well taken though, by many accounts (and by common sense) the cap will decrease, then continue to decrease, and any long term commitment could just as easily put us in the same position as the Flyers, or B's, as soon as next season. I don't envy the B's having to seriously consider trading Kessel while Ryder is secure for the forseeable future. If that same scenario happened to us with a Subban, for example, I would be critical of managements foresgiht.

On Metro, I agree he's a solid vet but my thinking is influened not so much from what I want from Metro, but moreso what I want from Chipchura.

Chip's not consistent yet but he has flashes (like many young players). I like his size and his upside and I think it's time we take our lumps and go with him.
It is hard to think of anyone that I would want less than Briere at over $6 million per year. Way too long and way too much money... especially in the environment of a shrinking cap

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 08:18 PM
kalessin

Don't think the Metro sighting means anything - it's the offseason, players often train with former teammates and it's not surprising that Metro would have friends in Philly.

kalessin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 09:30 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I like Metropolit, but not his contract though.
yeah 1 million per year

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 10:22 PM
elsubz

The guy was clutch and worked his ass off. Much better 4th liner than Begin or chipchura was. Keep him IMO.

And how can someone complain about his contract?

elsubz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Personally I dont want him back, I would rather give Kyle Chipchura his chance..
Darn right

Totally agree with you, then again...Mr.Gainey may just keep Met for some "healthy" team competition and...depth for that 4th line Center job? (but how long will Chip wait?). I want one thing from our Habs and Chip this year...I want him to obtain as many chances as possible for icetime (if he plays well) and I want Chip to of course play like a very solid 4th line version of Nieuwendyk to win his job for once and for all.

We'll see how everything goes at camp. I hope Chip will be 100% ready for this season (we need his character/grit/leadership on the 4th line).

-------------------------------------------------

Also: to reply to the OP's topic...strange indeed that they were interviewing Metropolit (porbably just to have a quickie opinion of his is all, no biggie, or maybe the Flyers miss Met and will give us a 3rd Round pick for this year's draft for him!! ).
I DO see Emery with the Flyers...imo he's not going to solve their goaltending but may be a temporary band-aid. He'll be the craziest Flyers' goalie since you know who!!*

*Hextall

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 04:20 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
yeah 1 million per year
Very useful player. Those complaining about that player know nothing about hockey. He handles the puck very well and hustles hard every shift. Great 3rd/fourth line player. Watch some hockey guys... Every Flyers and Bruins fans loved him. There is a reason for it. Once you understand the game, you'll learn to appreciate this kind of player.

Last edited by peperebougon*: 06-06-2009 at 04:25 AM.
peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 06:12 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
The guy was clutch and worked his ass off. Much better 4th liner than Begin or chipchura was. Keep him IMO.

And how can someone complain about his contract?
You can't. Metropolit was a key part of the Habs' late season surge that stalled only when Markov and Schneider went down at the same time and Tanguay reinjured his shoulder.

Teams can't have only scorers in the lineup. Let's not forget that the defensive line of Metropolit-Dandenault-Higgins was not only doing a terrific job shutting down the opponents' top lines but also scoring goals on the counterattack.

If Dandenault would take a pay cut to finish out his career here in an important Jimmy Roberts type role, I can see this line reunited and playing decent minutes under Jacques Martin, who wants good two-way play.

Chipchura should not be handed anything on a silver platter. However, he might be able to handle the 4th line centre role if his skating improves, if not he might make it as a grinding LW.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
yeah 1 million per year
Believe it or not 1M is not much these days.

Not a bad contract for a guy that can actually be regular play some useful minutes.

Unlike Laraque and his 1.5M contract. Theres something you should shake your head at.

I say let him play out his contract ... Chipchura (and/or the new swedish guy) need someone to compete with, not just handed out spot on the roster.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 11:10 AM
otto bond

I like Metro for the fourth line role. Money aside, he is a good vet that can win faceoff. Keep him around and wait to see what Chipper brings in.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 03:15 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
You can't. Metropolit was a key part of the Habs' late season surge that stalled only when Markov and Schneider went down at the same time and Tanguay reinjured his shoulder.

Teams can't have only scorers in the lineup. Let's not forget that the defensive line of Metropolit-Dandenault-Higgins was not only doing a terrific job shutting down the opponents' top lines but also scoring goals on the counterattack.

If Dandenault would take a pay cut to finish out his career here in an important Jimmy Roberts type role, I can see this line reunited and playing decent minutes under Jacques Martin, who wants good two-way play.

Chipchura should not be handed anything on a silver platter. However, he might be able to handle the 4th line centre role if his skating improves, if not he might make it as a grinding LW.
Exactly!!!Some say if Metro stays= no chipper... like it is the only way to keep him with the team...Injuries happen too...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2009, 03:20 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Exactly!!!Some say if Metro stays= no chipper... like it is the only way to keep him with the team...Injuries happen too...
I think gainey getting metro shows just how behind chipper is in his development. I think this season might be his last season to make the team. I like him, but he's gotta get faster.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote