HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

cam barker

Old
06-16-2009, 05:01 PM
massivegoonery

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater13 View Post
He misses A LOT. You need to adjust your TV. Also he gets a ton of shots blocked because he has a 3 second windup on every shot he takes.
I think you might be confused: we're talking about Barker, not Wisniewski. Everything you say might be true but it's less true for Barker than every other d-man on the team.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 07:07 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
He was a -6 on a very good team despite all his PP success.
You know that powerplay points don't affect a player's + - rating right?

Also, he was playing with Matt Walker for a good portion of the year. That has to be factored into his + - rating. -6 isn't that bad anyways.

Barker will only get better. Let's pay the kid and keep him around for a long time.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
You know that powerplay points don't affect a player's + - rating right?
Actually, yes. That was an error. lol

Also I am for keeping him but it depends on what he wants money wise.

Blackwater13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:04 PM
bleedcubbieblue

Quote:
Actually, yes. That was an error. lol

Also I am for keeping him but it depends on what he wants money wise.
I really don't think that he's going to require as much money as you guys are talking about. the majority of his money for the past few years was all in bonuses, and I don't think that he will be able to get more than that total in his new contract.

What I think will end up happening will that they won't sign him til after the 1st, in hopes that some team will offer him a large contract that we won't have to match. That way we will get some decent compensation for him.

bleedcubbieblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 05:55 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
They may trade him. As of now he's #5 on the depth chart and I don't know if they want to pay that much for a #5 d-man.
If he's available, Phoenix could be a destination. The Yotes would have young players, prospects and high draft choices to offer up.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedcubbieblue View Post
I really don't think that he's going to require as much money as you guys are talking about. the majority of his money for the past few years was all in bonuses, and I don't think that he will be able to get more than that total in his new contract.

What I think will end up happening will that they won't sign him til after the 1st, in hopes that some team will offer him a large contract that we won't have to match. That way we will get some decent compensation for him.
You may be correct on both but will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
If he's available, Phoenix could be a destination. The Yotes would have young players, prospects and high draft choices to offer up.
I don't know that he is available but it has been talked about amongst bloggers/fans/press. Also when you actually look over the roster and break everything down both presently and towards the future from a financial aspect it makes sense and would not shock me.

Put it like this, I strongly believe the Hawks will be making a few trades this offseason and a couple signings of probably some mid level guys.

Old
06-20-2009, 07:48 AM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 200
Quote:
He misses A LOT. You need to adjust your TV. Also he gets a ton of shots blocked because he has a 3 second windup on every shot he takes. No it is not a massive understatement because he has some PP skills. He isn't the greatest d-man I've ever seen on the PP. He can't move the puck up the ice and he is a turnover machine. He is a solid player with an even greater potential but its all about the money. He also is awful 5 on 5 and that is also part of the game. He was a -6 on a very good team despite all his PP success.
You don't get a plus on a pp goal.

aqsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Blackwater13*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
You don't get a plus on a pp goal.
Yes I know which makes my point even more valid.

Old
06-20-2009, 09:35 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Considering he plays with Matt Walker, -6 isn't bad at all.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 11:59 AM
35Esposito

You have to keep Barker, he will develop into something special. I see Barker in our top 4 next year (Seabrook, Keith, Campbell..UGH!!!, and Barker).

Why trade a player like Barker, when in 3 or 4 years we will need a dman just like him??

35Esposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 03:33 PM
aqsw
PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHawks View Post
You have to keep Barker, he will develop into something special. I see Barker in our top 4 next year (Seabrook, Keith, Campbell..UGH!!!, and Barker).

Why trade a player like Barker, when in 3 or 4 years we will need a dman just like him??
Because he was the third overall pick, and he hasn't won the Norris yet!!!

Old
06-22-2009, 03:37 PM
aqsw
PM

Quote:
How does that make your point more valid? And if you know, why did you post the original?

Old
06-22-2009, 04:10 PM
brtriad

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
How does that make your point more valid? And if you know, why did you post the original?
Quit ragging on the guy. He made a mistake and acknowledged it.

The more I think about it, the more sure I am that we will resign Barker. Our depth at defense isn't close to what we have at wings. If we have any of our players taken via offer sheet, it will be Versteeg or Brouwer.

Last edited by brtriad: 06-25-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old
06-25-2009, 02:18 PM
hawksfan50

You can't deny Barker is SLOW -he also is SLOW in processing /reacting to the play...he is a flawed player...he is alsao passionless with his "calm" style...there is plenty to dislike in his game...You can hope more experience teacheshimbetter positioning and "reading" the play defensively -but whether he has the speed to get therte is another question... Offensively,he is good from the point on the PP --so that helps his case a lot...still he is not good enough to play top 2 pair minutes -there are severe limits to his ES effectiveness...but the points he uts up as a result of the Pp cause potential CAP overpay problems. CAN you pay a 5th top 4 D-man noney? THAT is the issiue..Is he worth $3million a year TODAY given his defensive shortcomings? If a 5th d-man merits $3mil a year--your CAP is out of hand.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
aqsw
PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
You can't deny Barker is SLOW -he also is SLOW in processing /reacting to the play...he is a flawed player...he is alsao passionless with his "calm" style...there is plenty to dislike in his game...You can hope more experience teacheshimbetter positioning and "reading" the play defensively -but whether he has the speed to get therte is another question... Offensively,he is good from the point on the PP --so that helps his case a lot...still he is not good enough to play top 2 pair minutes -there are severe limits to his ES effectiveness...but the points he uts up as a result of the Pp cause potential CAP overpay problems. CAN you pay a 5th top 4 D-man noney? THAT is the issiue..Is he worth $3million a year TODAY given his defensive shortcomings? If a 5th d-man merits $3mil a year--your CAP is out of hand.
I can deny that, I have played against Barker in a shinny game and he's very fast!!
I'm 56 years old (I'm almost as fast as his Dad though)

Old
07-01-2009, 03:12 AM
butthead666

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHawks View Post

This. He is still young and he has room to improve and has improved every year. The Hawks have shown some patience with him while he has developed and it would be stupid to trade him now unless the deal was outrageously good.

butthead666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:39 AM
fdevji

Anyone know who Barker's agent is? Same with Versteeg.

fdevji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 02:50 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead666 View Post
This. He is still young and he has room to improve and has improved every year. The Hawks have shown some patience with him while he has developed and it would be stupid to trade him now unless the deal was outrageously good.
EXACTLY. For those of you who didn't know, the Hawks were looking at moving Campbell last year, just considering it, because of Barker. Cam is going to be a really good #2 or a pretty good #1 dman.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Central PA Hawk Fan

meh, you guys can wait around for Barker to develop into a top pairing guy, I don't think its going to happen. We'll see, but Barker would be the first d-man of Seabrook, Keith, Hjammer, and Barker that I would move. I have a hunch that the Hawk's FO agrees with me on that.

Central PA Hawk Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:22 AM
yellowtree

I would say Sopel, Campbell and especially Barker are trade or release candidates.

yellowtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Markus078

Ducks fan here, what would you seriously demand for Barker. I would like him taking over Beauchemins spot

Markus078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2009, 12:28 PM
brtriad

We need to keep Barker around at least for a few years. His big shot on the PP is a valuable asset.