Notices

question about Wild Prospects Burns and Bouchard

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 01:56 AM
stardog

vCash: 500
question about Wild Prospects Burns and Bouchard

I posted this in the prospects board and i thought I'd post it here as well. It is just a question in order to learn more about your prospects and orginization so please do not take it as an attack on your management because it is in no way meant as one.

This is mainly for Wild fans, but of course anybody can chime in with thier opinions.
First let me state that the Wild is one of the teams that i dont follow to closely, thus my ignorance in asking the following.
Do you feel that the Wild is erring on the way they have brought along some of there high end prospects? Specifically Bouchard and Burns?
In bringing them along slowly, and playing them not as often as they may have played in juniors, do you feel it has hindered thier development by losing crucial playing time?
Statisticaly speaking, Bouchard hasn't improved from last year. And I believe Burns has been injured, but when healthy, did they follow the same mold as they did with Bouchard?
I am not attacking the Wild managment in any way. It is just an unusual way to go about things, and perhaps it could develop into a trend if it proves to be succesful.
I am wondering primarily what the fand of the team feel. Stoned Koala is the only one I know of that posts regularly on here, so i hope to get an answer from him and others.
I'll ask on the Wild board as well.
Do you feel that they are erring in how they brought the two of these guys along? And why do you feel either way?
Thanks.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:21 AM
tk421

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog
I posted this in the prospects board and i thought I'd post it here as well. It is just a question in order to learn more about your prospects and orginization so please do not take it as an attack on your management because it is in no way meant as one.

This is mainly for Wild fans, but of course anybody can chime in with thier opinions.
First let me state that the Wild is one of the teams that i dont follow to closely, thus my ignorance in asking the following.
Do you feel that the Wild is erring on the way they have brought along some of there high end prospects? Specifically Bouchard and Burns?
In bringing them along slowly, and playing them not as often as they may have played in juniors, do you feel it has hindered thier development by losing crucial playing time?
Statisticaly speaking, Bouchard hasn't improved from last year. And I believe Burns has been injured, but when healthy, did they follow the same mold as they did with Bouchard?
I am not attacking the Wild managment in any way. It is just an unusual way to go about things, and perhaps it could develop into a trend if it proves to be succesful.
I am wondering primarily what the fand of the team feel. Stoned Koala is the only one I know of that posts regularly on here, so i hope to get an answer from him and others.
I'll ask on the Wild board as well.
Do you feel that they are erring in how they brought the two of these guys along? And why do you feel either way?
Thanks.
I never liked the Bouchard pick to begin with. It’s not the small size I dislike, but the size combined with no toughness; he’s all finesse. In the Northwest division it’s a hard-banging run and gun style, not suited for Bouchard. Look at Richard Park, I was at the Ottawa game, they stood side by side, and Park is shorter. But Park is an animal, his legs are like tree trunks, he hits, takes hits, and plays mean for his size.

I think that some people in the Wild organization deserved shots in the NHL before Bouchard.

On Burns, I think the decision to keep him up was more of a keeping a close eye on him approach.

They could have him eat/workout and practice exactly how they thought he should. He was 6’4 200 pounds, so I think they wanted to add strength and size.

Now you will also hear people complain about bringing prospects along too slowly ie (Koivu, Wanvig, Wallin); so Wild management just can’t win.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:55 AM
ceber

I'm hesitant to be critical with the benefit of hindsight.

As for Bouchard, I think tk421 is right that he needs to improve his strength (I like the pick, though). He's clearly got the finesse skills. And I don't think he's got any problems with attitude; he's shown a willingness to get into a corner and dig with the puck. The problem is it's too easy to knock him off the puck right now. In my opinion, he either needs to learn to be more shifty and avoid getting tangled up at all, or pick up some strength so he can carry the puck through the tangle. I think he'll probably do a bit of both. He clearly wasn't challenged to do either in his last season in the QMJHL, so I don't see why leaving him in Chicoutimi would've done him any good at all. He needed to be challenged by more mature, experienced players. This season hasn't been great for him, but it's not a total loss. I think I've seen him play better lately than he did all last year. Hopefully he'll continue to improve.

Burns I'm not so sure on. I think tk421 has it again, in that they wanted to keep a closer eye on him. I also think they really did feel he'd be able to contribute more than he has. From all reports, he really had a pretty amazing training camp. His first games looked pretty good, too. I wouldn't have minded seeing him sent back though. I think if Wanvig would've shown up for training camp he probably could've taken Burns' spot, and both players could be better for it.

But, I'm no expert.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:58 PM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Repost from the Prospects board...

I think it had to due with Gaborik and Dupuis(sp?) holding out. I think that after that long playoff run the year before, the "Brain Wizards(Wild Management)" wanted the fans to have something to be excited about. Because it was an embarrasment that we had 2 of our main scorers from the year before holding out. That's why I think they kept Burns here.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:10 PM
kasper11

For Bouchard, what did he have to gain from going back to juniors? He led the entire CHL in scoring as a 17 year old. What he has to work in is getting stronger (doesn't really matter what league he is in for that) and his defensive play, and who better to teach him that then Lemaire?

Burns on the other hand I think should have been sent back. He never really dominated in juniors, and I think he could have benefited from that. Once Gaborik and Dupuis were signed, I think he should have been sent back to get more ice time.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:55 PM
NyCoN
Instant Contender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11
Once Gaborik and Dupuis were signed, I think he should have been sent back to get more ice time.

I could be wrong, but I beileve that it was too late to send him back by the time Gabby and Dupuis was signed. He had already played in too many games.

Old
03-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCoN
I could be wrong, but I beileve that it was too late to send him back by the time Gabby and Dupuis was signed. He had already played in too many games.
Actually they had a chance to send him back down at the time of the signings, instead they put him on the IR. I thought too that Burns was a move to avoid a PR backlash in light of the holdouts. He did have a good WJC tourney and wasn't bad in the time he played with the big club (early on), so I guess the braintrust decided we were better off with him here. They probably knew from the start that last year was an aberration and "rebuilding" was inevitable.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:00 PM
Sea Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCoN
No he hadn't. This is a very misunderstood rule. The Wild could have sent him back after the Dupuis/Gaborik signings. They could have sent him back up until two weeks ago if they wanted.

Many people think that once a guy plays 10 games in the NHL, he can't be sent back to his junior club. That is a myth.

And some people, even if they understand that a team can send a prospect back to his junior club after 10 games, think that the team still must pay the prospect his entire NHL salary for the year. That is also a myth.

There are really only two things that change once a prospect plays his 10th game. Number one - the team loses one year of waiver draft exemptions on him. Number two - the first year of his contract is deemed to have expired, which effectively brings about restricted free agency one year sooner.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
I love the Bouchard pick, and he is one of my favs, but he has to add about 20 pounds in the next 1-3 years to be 5'10 182lbs to handle the rigors. If he doesn't he will fade away.

Old
03-31-2004, 12:55 PM
ceber

The title of this thread got me wondering, why is Burns considered "graduated" on our HF page? According to http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect.php, I don't think he should be there, should he?

Also, Bouchard now has enough games that he shouldn't be listed there either (making him no longer a prospect of any kind, according to HF), but that one I can understand, since it's a fairly recent change.

Burns, though.. why is he considered graduated? Is there something I'm not catching?

Closed Thread