HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Removing Name From Jersey?

Old
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Wease

vCash: 500
Removing Name From Jersey?

I was thinking of buying a jersey I saw on Ebay that has a name and number already sewn on. The number I want, the name I do not. The name is sewn on a "name plate". Is it possible to have that name plate removed and have a local place put a new one on with another name? Would it look "legit", as long as they found letters that matched the numbers? Anyone ever done this before?

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2009, 06:29 PM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wease View Post
I was thinking of buying a jersey I saw on Ebay that has a name and number already sewn on. The number I want, the name I do not. The name is sewn on a "name plate". Is it possible to have that name plate removed and have a local place put a new one on with another name? Would it look "legit", as long as they found letters that matched the numbers? Anyone ever done this before?
Should be fine, especially since it's on a nameplate. If the jersey is white there might be a little glue residue left on the jersey when you take the nameplate off but you'll be able to cover that up with a new nameplate. Just use a seam ripper and be real careful. It's not that hard to do though.

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Wease

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
Should be fine, especially since it's on a nameplate. If the jersey is white there might be a little glue residue left on the jersey when you take the nameplate off but you'll be able to cover that up with a new nameplate. Just use a seam ripper and be real careful. It's not that hard to do though.
Cool, thanks!

Old
01-30-2009, 01:38 PM
irishlaxburger2

No problem! The fact that theres a nameplate makes the entire process much easier. I've taken names off jerseys with letters directly sewn and it was a pretty big hassle, though still easy to do. Just really tedious work. Hopefully yours comes out well!

irishlaxburger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2009, 06:43 PM
MikeD

Pick up a stitch removal tool. Walmart or any place with a crafts section should have a sewing repair kit for pretty cheap. The tool allows you to lift and cut stitching from the top side of the stitch very easily. Once you do get some stitching released resist the urge to PULL the name plate to get the stitches to just break. You will end up ripping the jersey material. Lifting and gently pulling the plate to loosen the stitches to get at them to cut the thread isnt a problem.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 07:31 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Pick up a stitch removal tool. Walmart or any place with a crafts section should have a sewing repair kit for pretty cheap. The tool allows you to lift and cut stitching from the top side of the stitch very easily. Once you do get some stitching released resist the urge to PULL the name plate to get the stitches to just break. You will end up ripping the jersey material. Lifting and gently pulling the plate to loosen the stitches to get at them to cut the thread isnt a problem.
Well, unless he is a good seamstress, I recommend he takes it to your local dry cleaners. They would be able to remove the plate for him without making a hole in it if he was to do it. Been there, done that.

Once the plate is off, ask them if they can sew on a new name plate. Normally I would recommend taking it to the local jersey place or silk screener. There, they can silk screen a name on a plate for you to add to the jersey.

Or, again, if you are really good at sewing, then go for it.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:09 PM
Heat McManus

If you take it off yourself and you there is residue left over you can use GooGone to remove it. It works on most materials I've seen without discoloring it at all. Just apply it to a rag or paper towel then wipe the area till it comes off.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2009, 10:18 AM
IrishSniper87

Hey guys, found this thread, and I want to ask a similar question.

I had a blank replica jersey customized at a hockey shop and I didn't realize it right away, but they messed up the shoulder numbers pretty bad It isn't even close to even.

As you can see, the numbers on the side are way off. If I had one side removed and lowered (it is all sewn), what can I expect of the finished product? Would it look really crappy where I had the number removed from? Or should I just leave it as is?

Thanks guys

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 10:56 AM
pepe22

Theres no way of knowing until you actually take the numbers off. I'm guessing that jersey is fairly new obviously because it's RBK. There may not be all that much residue left over, most of the older jerseys people send me to strip are harder to do than newer ones but again theres no way of knowing until you actually do it.

pepe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Wease

Actually, I got this done already. No glue, just stitches on the name plate. Came off easy...

Old
04-27-2009, 01:24 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

I had a blank replica jersey customized at a hockey shop and I didn't realize it right away, but they messed up the shoulder numbers pretty bad It isn't even close to even.

[Images]

As you can see, the numbers on the side are way off. If I had one side removed and lowered (it is all sewn), what can I expect of the finished product? Would it look really crappy where I had the number removed from? Or should I just leave it as is?

Thanks guys
It's probably sewn and pressed. You could try, and use a goo gone type thing if there's residue, but I would advise against trying it yourself. I would try taking it back to the shop and asking if they can do anything about it. They're the ones responsible, they might be able to fix it for you.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:24 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
How difficult do you guys think it would be to remove the lettering from a jersey if the letters are sewn directly to the jersey?

I bought a Nigel Dawes from ProJerseys on eBay (fantastic people if you're looking for top notch jerseys by the way) and since he's moved on to Phoenix, I figure rather than have the thing gather dust, I can get Gaborik done on it.

The guys said they would do the name for me if I could get Dawes off. They are literally sewn right into the jersey.

Any tips/tricks? Is this worth my time?

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post

Thanks guys
Take it back and get it done right!
Why settle for something less than what you paid for!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

This question has come up in Sens land because many people are looking to remove HEATLEY from their jersey. I'm pretty sure all it takes is a bit of hard work and effort and the Heatley name will jump off the sweater and hide.

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumjoo Wang View Post
This question has come up in Sens land because many people are looking to remove HEATLEY from their jersey. I'm pretty sure all it takes is a bit of hard work and effort and the Heatley name will jump off the sweater and hide.

Actually quite the opposite, there has been a surge on buying mannequins and Heatley jerseys to create voodoo dolls or Heatley Pinatas!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
How difficult do you guys think it would be to remove the lettering from a jersey if the letters are sewn directly to the jersey?

I bought a Nigel Dawes from ProJerseys on eBay (fantastic people if you're looking for top notch jerseys by the way) and since he's moved on to Phoenix, I figure rather than have the thing gather dust, I can get Gaborik done on it.

The guys said they would do the name for me if I could get Dawes off. They are literally sewn right into the jersey.

Any tips/tricks? Is this worth my time?
Not difficult at all, maybe time consuming, but not difficult. Just get a seam-ripper from CVS or Duane Reade for about $4 and some Goo-Gone for any residue.

Old
07-06-2009, 09:55 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vakar Lajos View Post
Not difficult at all, maybe time consuming, but not difficult. Just get a seam-ripper from CVS or Duane Reade for about $4 and some Goo-Gone for any residue.
Update: I've started taking off the stitching. I've gotten the D completely unstitched, but the letters are not only stitched to the jersey, but also glued.

Any idea how I can get the glue unglued and get the letters off?

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Scotty Hockey

I have the same issue - got the sticking up with only one small snag, pulled the lettering off but there is still glue residue on the jersey itself. How do I clean that off? I tried a paper towel with goo be gone but it just made everything smell citrus'ey ...

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Hockey View Post
I have the same issue - got the sticking up with only one small snag, pulled the lettering off but there is still glue residue on the jersey itself. How do I clean that off? I tried a paper towel with goo be gone but it just made everything smell citrus'ey ...
GooGone will get it off, but yeah it smells like citrus. That's the CITRUS POWER!!

Wash it and it and let it hang dry.

Old
09-20-2009, 05:18 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Well, it's not what goo gone is intended for. It's intended more for glue on the back of stickers and such, not set glue that's hardened. It might eventually get it off, but it's made for cleaning up after you peel a price tag off and similar things.

Just try and peel them off, let the glue residue be and have a nameplate made that will cover the old name and have them put the letters on that.

And for future reference: Everything on an NHL jersey that is attached is at least heat pressed. Some will be sewn in addition, but there is NOTHING that is sewn with no glue.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2009, 08:33 PM
Scotty Hockey

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm trying to keep the cost as low as possible so I was just going to get a few new letters heat-pressed on once I got the old glue off ...

Scotty Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Just noticed were talking about washing Jerseys. Can you was a red jersey in the washing machine? I'm worried I'll turn everything white on it pink.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2009, 09:03 PM
greyraven8

i'd probably wash it by itself the first couple times if it's new - just in case.

i have a couple old red jerseys, and i just toss them in the wash with everything else - no problems.

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote