HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Kovalev Poll

View Poll Results: Would you sign Kovalev?
Yes 81 73.64%
No 29 26.36%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 05:54 AM
felixd

vCash: 500
The Kovalev Poll

Many of us here on HF seem to think Kovalev is a waste on the habs. Personally, since I live in Jersey, I have not yet seen him play one game in a habs uniform, so my verdict is still out. But for those of you who have seen him play, would you sign him this summer?

Old
03-25-2004, 06:07 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
Many of us here on HF seem to think Kovalev is a waste on the habs. Personally, since I live in Jersey, I have not yet seen him play one game in a habs uniform, so my verdict is still out. But for those of you who have seen him play, would you sign him this summer?
Based on what I've seen so far, I'd resign him only if he agrees to substantially lower his salary. He's far from being worth 6 big ones a season.

Old
03-25-2004, 06:09 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
Based on what I've seen so far, I'd resign him only if he agrees to substantially lower his salary. He's far from being worth 6 big ones a season.
Agreed!

Old
03-25-2004, 07:36 AM
Habber

I think BG will sign him if it's in the $3-4 mil range. He's not worth any more than that.

Old
03-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Darz

If we could resign Kovalev in the $3M-$4M range, I say we should.
He hasn't got off on the best start with the habs, but he has shown he COULD put up some good numbers. Sometimes it takes a player a little time to get used to a new system, new teammates, etc. Remember he was coming from New York, a team without ANY system!!!

Old
03-25-2004, 07:57 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
If we could resign Kovalev in the $3M-$4M range, I say we should.
He hasn't got off on the best start with the habs, but he has shown he COULD put up some good numbers. Sometimes it takes a player a little time to get used to a new system, new teammates, etc. Remember he was coming from New York, a team without ANY system!!!
Agreed. 3/4 mil is tops, and that's just because he is getting so much to start with. Based on this year he maybe deserves 2-2.5 M. BTW, this is pts per game-wise his worst season since his first! Do you think he could benefit from being on a line with Ryder and Ribeiro? I think Ryder's energy is contagious, and Kovalev would be forced to keep up when they're on the ice together. I think they could compliment each other well. I should hope that Kovalev still has enough pride that he'll try not to be outworked badly by a rookie given that situation. Put them with Ribeiro, and I think we've got a smokin' second line (after Bulis-Koivu-Zednik, but that's another on-going thread).

Old
03-25-2004, 08:45 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Kovalev has the ability to do major damage, but like all players he needs confidence to get going. The Rangers have killed his confidence. I remember him playing in Pit before he was traded to the rangers. He was simply dominant with the puck. If Kovo can regain that form, hopefully in the playoffs, i would be more than happy to sign him.

You guys also have to remember that Kovo is still getting used to the system. It takes time, the rangers had no system. Dowd for example came from minny where they employed a very simular system, so for him there was nothing to adjust to. For Kovalev its completely different. I dont know why people are getting on him so much, give the man time and be patient. He will produce, if he can get use to the system quickly enough.

Also as for yesterdays game, did you guys forget the fact he played with the flue? People overeacted way to much last night on Kovalev after the loss to Buff. I think people just forgot he was ill.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:03 AM
Jacques Strappe

Is he the best UFA for us?

Kovalev claims to like playing in Montreal. If he'll take a drastic cut in Salary (3M tops), I'd sign him.
But perhaps there's better UFA's out there to be signed? Anybody know where to find a current list of players who will become UFA's at the end of the season?

Paul Kariya's the only one I can think of. He hasn't had a great season, but he'll probably sign for major $$$ someplace. I'd take him for 5M but that won't happen.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Highlander

I agree with Darz (as usual). Sign him for less money.

As for the Kovalev 'haters' out there, get of the 'bandwagon' for crying out loud. How long has this team needed a dominant scoring threat? How long have some members of this board asked for a 'real' 1st line winger? Since the mid to late 1990's in my mind. Now Gainey pulls this trade out of left field that NOBODY saw coming and gets Kovalev, and people are *****ing about it?!? Its too early to make a call on his performance (see injured / ask after the playoff arguements above for support).

Seriously, there are some people who honestly deserve to break their leg jumping on and off the 'bandwagon'. They don't deserve this team...... :mad:

Old
03-25-2004, 09:44 AM
StanleyCH25

I'd sign him for 5mil easily. He's an elite top line player with the potential to teach our young kids entering the organization. He might take a month or two to adapt to the system (as all Habs players have initially taken) but you can see the talent he oozes out on the ice. Great stickhandler and lots of speed. Although I something think he feels a bit lost out there and not quite sure where he's supposed to be (maybe still working that out with Julien?). He's got a powerful precise shot that he likes to unleash out of nowhere and I wouldn't be surprised to see him break out at any given moment. That being said, WOW RYDER! I love this kid's shot. I know it's been quite a few months but just seeing him do it again and again (and that backhander yesterday was just so nice.. too bad about the 2 or 3 posts he hit).

Old
03-25-2004, 09:56 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
Kovalev claims to like playing in Montreal.
I like Kovalev and wish him well...but don't be naive! They all claim they want to play for the teams they traded to.

Hackett was so happy, so happy.....Now Gonchar is happy. I am for one don't believe it until I see it.

Btw...can you imagine what you and your media would do Kovy if he claimed something else?

Old
03-25-2004, 11:32 AM
RE-HABS

Kovalev has already said its not about the money, he wants to be in a winning environment...Montreal turns him on in that department. Since coming to Montreal he has been rejuvenated, although he hasn't gotten much on the score sheet his true value may come this spring in the Playoffs.

I like him and would re-sign him, he would sign for less too.

Old
03-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Kovalev has the ability to do major damage, but like all players he needs confidence to get going. The Rangers have killed his confidence. I remember him playing in Pit before he was traded to the rangers. He was simply dominant with the puck. If Kovo can regain that form, hopefully in the playoffs, i would be more than happy to sign him.
Agreed Mooch and it's not like the Pittsburgh days were 3 years ago. It was as recently as last season! There's no way a player loses his skill in the prime of his career in barely a year without suffering a major injury. You can see his confidence is hurting big time. In Pittsburgh, he was able find the small openings top corner on a goalie and do it with amazing wrist shots and he could stickhandle in a phone booth.

I think Kovalev just needs to score a real goal(not some cheap EN) using that patented wrist shot and then score in the next game and then the confidence should start rising. He also needs to eliminate those shifts when he isn't skating hard and not working, those are happening too often IMO.

It would also help if CJ stopped changing his linemates around from here on in. We are only 5 games away from the playoffs now, it's time to build the chemistry!

As for re-signing him, it all depends on how much he wants and how he fits in here down the stretch.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:00 PM

I myself, am not worried about Kovalev at all, even if he's not scoring, he adds a presence and opponents are aware when he's on the ice, I just know that when the floodgates open, teams will have a tough time trying to close them, let's be a little more patient

Old
03-25-2004, 04:26 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
I myself, am not worried about Kovalev at all, even if he's not scoring, he adds a presence and opponents are aware when he's on the ice, I just know that when the floodgates open, teams will have a tough time trying to close them, let's be a little more patient
Nice avatar man, what a great movie

Old
03-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

He'll get less than Koivu and Theodore if we sing him .

Old
03-25-2004, 04:43 PM
Habsolution

There has already been at least 3 threads started on this very subject. I don't see why we should be having this discussion again. It's WAY too early to talk about resigning him. First we don't know how he'll perform, we don't know if he wants to sign here, we don't know how much he'd cost, heck we don't even know if there's going to be a 04-05 season. It's just useless to talk about this right now. I don't see what the point is.

Old
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
#44_delivers

i wouldnt think about signing him right now id wait to see what he brings in the playoffs; if nothing then id sign somebody else for that kind of cash.

Old
03-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
I'd sign him in a second and pray to god that he becomes a super elite player

Old
03-25-2004, 05:16 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I like Kovalev and wish him well...but don't be naive! They all claim they want to play for the teams they traded to.

Hackett was so happy, so happy.....Now Gonchar is happy. I am for one don't believe it until I see it.

Btw...can you imagine what you and your media would do Kovy if he claimed something else?
While i agree its standard for a player to say he's so happy to be playing with his new team, Kovalev actually does strike me as someone who is really happy to be in montreal.
He's always smiling, he's constantly bringing it up even when he's not asked, he even celebrated with the fans after his first goal.

He definately appears sincere in his statements, but you are right, we can't pass judgement until contract time.

Old
03-25-2004, 05:24 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
I'd definitely re-sign him. For 1-2 year but not for 5M or anything big like that.

Old
03-25-2004, 05:33 PM
EaGLE1

I say: Give him 5 millions dollars MAX. 6.6 is too much already!!! Anyway, i don't think we will resign him because some teams like Detroit or Colorado will be ready to pay as much as 7 millions $ for this guy. If MTL have an head on the shoulder, they will pay 5millions or less...What about 20 millions for 4 years!!

Old
03-25-2004, 05:42 PM
Guy Caballero

Kovalev signing for less than 5 mil, new CBA or not, is fanciful thinking at best. As an UFA, he'll get six easily no matter what the "new economic reality" of the NHL is.

I say we finish this season, evaluate our short and long-term needs, see what he wants, and jump into the Kovalev market along with everyone else. We'll still have the advantage in terms of signing him: if he gets an offer from another team that Gainey is willing to match, the tiebreaker may prove to be the experience he's had in Montreal so far and the commitment to hard work and victory that Gainey and Julien have instilled. Even if he doesn't sign, the lip service he and Dowd have given the Habs in the last couple of weeks will make Montreal a much more appealing option for players this summer. That alone is worth the loss of Balej, IMO.

I didn't answer the question in the poll because my answer would be, "Who knows?" There are too many variables (salary, this year's performance, etc.)

Last edited by Guy Caballero: 03-25-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old
03-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Habbadasher

I say resign him at the right price only.

I was never very fond of this trade, he is a cronic underachiever who only became great with Super Mario. Yes, he has lots of talent, yes, he draws defenders. But great players have lots of points. Period. Few points=underachiever.

Last edited by Habbadasher: 03-25-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old
03-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Aarex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Kovalev signing for less than 5 mil, new CBA or not, is fanciful thinking at best. As an UFA, he'll get six easily no matter what the "new economic reality" of the NHL is.

I say we finish this season, evaluate our short and long-term needs, see what he wants, and jump into the Kovalev market along with everyone else. We'll still have the advantage in terms of signing him: if he gets an offer from another team that Gainey is willing to match, the tiebreaker may prove to be the experience he's had in Montreal so far and the commitment to hard work and victory that Gainey and Julien have instilled. Even if he doesn't sign, the lip service he and Dowd have given the Habs in the last couple of weeks will make Montreal a much more appealing option for players this summer. That alone is worth the loss of Balej, IMO.

I didn't answer the question in the poll because my answer would be, "Who knows?" There are too many variables (salary, this year's performance, etc.)
I agree 100%

I'm so very excited about our future.

Closed Thread