HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Nabokov to Edmonton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2009, 05:05 AM
  #26
Le Rosbeef
Registered User
 
Le Rosbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Our team lacks depth? Somewhat akin to Tampa Bay criticizing Detroit's offensive prowess...

San Jose has a lot of depth, actually. They've got three top-six centermen, top-six wingers coming out the wazoo, a nasty third-line that should be able to score, physicality throughout the bottom lines and defensive, and a couple of AHL guys who would be capable on the fourth line. At defense, they have 4 top-pairing defensemen, offensive and defensive punch, and physicality. A world-class goaltender, who had a heck of a postseason last year and has only once previous to this year had a miserable playoffs.
We do?! I think that's possibly a generous teal-ed appraisal...

Besides, I assume Morozov was being ironic in his post...

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 05:13 AM
  #27
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 58,860
vCash: 1445
first part of the problem is that is quantity vs qaulity.

Smid, Cogs are the best part of the deal for the oilers and would be the key-But they do not add up to NAbs and Cheechoo. JDD is unproven and Pisani is tossed in to try to get the oilers under the cap.

fromt he oiler, if I was SJ--I would ask for Gilbert and Gagner for that deal and the oilers might have some cap problems still

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:12 AM
  #28
Morozov
The Devil Killer
 
Morozov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 11,767
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Our team lacks depth? Somewhat akin to Tampa Bay criticizing Detroit's offensive prowess...

San Jose has a lot of depth, actually. They've got three top-six centermen, top-six wingers coming out the wazoo, a nasty third-line that should be able to score, physicality throughout the bottom lines and defensive, and a couple of AHL guys who would be capable on the fourth line. At defense, they have 4 top-pairing defensemen, offensive and defensive punch, and physicality. A world-class goaltender, who had a heck of a postseason last year and has only once previous to this year had a miserable playoffs.

The problem is, for some reason, despite all that talent on paper, the Sharks just can't cut it. Adjusting or adding to the depth won't do it. Tweaking the bottom lines, the secondary wingers, isn't going to help very much. There is something wrong with the core of the team...and by core, I don't just mean the core players like Thornton and Marleau.
and again I am reminded that is always necessary around here, even if you have already, just two posts earlier, made a separate post insinuating the proposal sucks.

Morozov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 08:34 AM
  #29
Lowball
Re-rebuilding...
 
Lowball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
No thanks from an Oilers POV.

Not a big fan of Nabokov, and he only has 1 more year on his contract, then UFA.

Cheechoo isn't the player he used to be. 6 even strength goals last season is pathetic.

Lowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:32 AM
  #30
Ovie8
 
Ovie8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
I think that is the perfect trade and that they should both totally go through with it because Edmonton needs a goalie and a scoring, gritty type of forward. The problem with that trade is cap space issues in both places and that San Jose would rather taken a shot at Roloson rather than JDD. Smid and Pisani aren't so bad and would both make up the loss of Johnathan Cheechoo. They might also shoot for Ryane Clowe because they need a depth guy that can beef up there 3rd or 4th line with a guy like Zach Stortini. I also think that the only way that the Oilers could bring Nabokov to Edmonton is take this trade risk:

TO EDMONTON<<>>
#20 E. Nabokov
#47 T. Cavanaugh
#14 J. Cheechoo
#29 R. Clowe
TO SAN-JOSE<<>>
#34 F.Pisani
#35 D.Roloson
#5 L.Smid
#1 Draft Pick 2008
#2 Draft Pick 2008

Ovie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:37 AM
  #31
OilTownHero
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,517
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovie8 View Post
I think that is the perfect trade and that they should both totally go through with it because Edmonton needs a goalie and a scoring, gritty type of forward. The problem with that trade is cap space issues in both places and that San Jose would rather taken a shot at Roloson rather than JDD. Smid and Pisani aren't so bad and would both make up the loss of Johnathan Cheechoo. They might also shoot for Ryane Clowe because they need a depth guy that can beef up there 3rd or 4th line with a guy like Zach Stortini. I also think that the only way that the Oilers could bring Nabokov to Edmonton is take this trade risk:

TO EDMONTON<<>>
#20 E. Nabokov
#47 T. Cavanaugh
#14 J. Cheechoo
#29 R. Clowe
TO SAN-JOSE<<>>
#34 F.Pisani
#35 D.Roloson
#5 L.Smid
#1 Draft Pick 2008
#2 Draft Pick 2008
Where have you been since January??

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
  #32
Le Rosbeef
Registered User
 
Le Rosbeef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovie8 View Post
I think that is the perfect trade and that they should both totally go through with it because Edmonton needs a goalie and a scoring, gritty type of forward. The problem with that trade is cap space issues in both places and that San Jose would rather taken a shot at Roloson rather than JDD. Smid and Pisani aren't so bad and would both make up the loss of Johnathan Cheechoo. They might also shoot for Ryane Clowe because they need a depth guy that can beef up there 3rd or 4th line with a guy like Zach Stortini. I also think that the only way that the Oilers could bring Nabokov to Edmonton is take this trade risk:

TO EDMONTON<<>>
#20 E. Nabokov
#47 T. Cavanaugh
#14 J. Cheechoo
#29 R. Clowe
TO SAN-JOSE<<>>
#34 F.Pisani
#35 D.Roloson
#5 L.Smid
#1 Draft Pick 2008
#2 Draft Pick 2008
Even if that was 2009, that deal is absolutely BRUTAL for San Jose.

No.1 netminder, two top 6 forwards and an AHLer for a grinder, a UFA goalie (downgrade) and a bottom pairing blueliner plus a couple of picks (which may or may not become anything of use).

Brutal.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 11:47 AM
  #33
Homesick
Registered User
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
wow thats a lot of garbage for Nabakov
Wow thats a lot of garbage in a small post.

Cogliano, Smid, and a second are all garbage? Pisani? maybe he is for his salary. JDD showed some signs that he will be a decent back up goaltender

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 12:44 PM
  #34
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyMcWoo View Post
As far as I'm concerned, If Doug Wilson was to even consider that deal he'd want an insane amount of the bit in brackets to make that work. This is a team trying to win the cup now.
This is the part I'm going to wonder about this offseason. I think the Sharks have lots of depth available to them even if Marleau and Nabby go. Boyle is signed for 6 more years and JT is likely to stick around until he retires. Given the lack of prospect depth and the need for some significant changes, this may actually be exactly the year that DW decides to try and move out Marleau and Nabby while he can and to try and retool a bit for improved Cup runs over the next several years.

If that was the case, then getting a guy like Gilbert (big, physical, youngish, puck-moving d-man) and some quality picks and prospects to replenish the system might be just what is needed. If DW could swing Nabby+ for the 10th overall, he might be able to swing the 10th overall + Marleau to move into the Top 5. Lombardi might make that deal because it would be a pretty good bet that Marleau would stay in LA.

So given DW's history of doing the unexpected, I am not discounting major moves that seem to set the team back slightly in the Cup pursuit if it gives them a longer window. They have a 1-year "window" at this point, and the current roster has not done it. I'm hoping DW recognizes this and goes for the retool around JT and Boyle, and hopefully moves Nabby, Marleau, Cheechoo, and possibly Clowe. There is a decent opportunity to add some players out there (Sturm and Kobasew from Boston most likely, Biron or Khabby in goal, etc).

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 12:51 PM
  #35
Stupid Sexy Flanders
Registered User
 
Stupid Sexy Flanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Even though I personally think Nabokov is highly-overrated, the likelihood of SJ trading their starting goalie is approximately zero.

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:00 PM
  #36
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Even though I personally think Nabokov is highly-overrated, the likelihood of SJ trading their starting goalie is approximately zero.
That's what people thought when the Sharks traded Mike Vernon too. So I would not say it's zero. Maybe 5-10%, but definitely above zero.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:09 PM
  #37
Homesick
Registered User
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
This is the part I'm going to wonder about this offseason. I think the Sharks have lots of depth available to them even if Marleau and Nabby go. Boyle is signed for 6 more years and JT is likely to stick around until he retires. Given the lack of prospect depth and the need for some significant changes, this may actually be exactly the year that DW decides to try and move out Marleau and Nabby while he can and to try and retool a bit for improved Cup runs over the next several years.

If that was the case, then getting a guy like Gilbert (big, physical, youngish, puck-moving d-man) and some quality picks and prospects to replenish the system might be just what is needed. If DW could swing Nabby+ for the 10th overall, he might be able to swing the 10th overall + Marleau to move into the Top 5. Lombardi might make that deal because it would be a pretty good bet that Marleau would stay in LA.

So given DW's history of doing the unexpected, I am not discounting major moves that seem to set the team back slightly in the Cup pursuit if it gives them a longer window. They have a 1-year "window" at this point, and the current roster has not done it. I'm hoping DW recognizes this and goes for the retool around JT and Boyle, and hopefully moves Nabby, Marleau, Cheechoo, and possibly Clowe. There is a decent opportunity to add some players out there (Sturm and Kobasew from Boston most likely, Biron or Khabby in goal, etc).
Sorry but Gilbert is anything but physical. If he had a 100+ hits last year Oiler fans would want the world for him.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:14 PM
  #38
Vaasa
Registered User
 
Vaasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Sorry but Gilbert is anything but physical. If he had a 100+ hits last year Oiler fans would want the world for him.
Compared to Vlasic, who would probably be his partner on the Sharks (assuming Blake is not back), he's physical. And I was speaking less in terms of hits and more in terms of an ability to play physical along the boards and around the net. He's not being outmuscled which is Vlasic's issue. Admittedly, I haven't watched a ton of Edmonton games with Gilbert, but he seemed to do fairly well against the larger forwards. But correct me if I'm wrong on that point, as it would be a key reason to have him.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:23 PM
  #39
Ovie8
 
Ovie8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
The that deal kind of sucks and i probably made it worse but hey if the deal went through and both teams had the cap space to pull off this move, who do you guys think got the better deal???

Ovie8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:47 PM
  #40
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 37,333
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
This is the part I'm going to wonder about this offseason. I think the Sharks have lots of depth available to them even if Marleau and Nabby go. Boyle is signed for 6 more years and JT is likely to stick around until he retires. Given the lack of prospect depth and the need for some significant changes, this may actually be exactly the year that DW decides to try and move out Marleau and Nabby while he can and to try and retool a bit for improved Cup runs over the next several years.

If that was the case, then getting a guy like Gilbert (big, physical, youngish, puck-moving d-man) and some quality picks and prospects to replenish the system might be just what is needed. If DW could swing Nabby+ for the 10th overall, he might be able to swing the 10th overall + Marleau to move into the Top 5. Lombardi might make that deal because it would be a pretty good bet that Marleau would stay in LA.

So given DW's history of doing the unexpected, I am not discounting major moves that seem to set the team back slightly in the Cup pursuit if it gives them a longer window. They have a 1-year "window" at this point, and the current roster has not done it. I'm hoping DW recognizes this and goes for the retool around JT and Boyle, and hopefully moves Nabby, Marleau, Cheechoo, and possibly Clowe. There is a decent opportunity to add some players out there (Sturm and Kobasew from Boston most likely, Biron or Khabby in goal, etc).
Doug Wilson might want to trade those two but unfortunately it's not going to happen because neither are going to waive their clauses, in my estimation.

As for the original deal, it's too much from an Edmonton perspective. As far as I'm concerned, no player under 25 in a top six forward or top four defenseman role will be in any deal involving a goalie going into the final year of their deal...this includes Roberto Luongo as well.

If Nabokov ends up going to Edmonton, it'll be for Pisani, Dubnyk, and a 2nd rounder. Jonathan Cheechoo would not be in the deal because Edmonton already has a lot of forwards under contract for next year.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 11:27 PM
  #41
Homesick
Registered User
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Compared to Vlasic, who would probably be his partner on the Sharks (assuming Blake is not back), he's physical. And I was speaking less in terms of hits and more in terms of an ability to play physical along the boards and around the net. He's not being outmuscled which is Vlasic's issue. Admittedly, I haven't watched a ton of Edmonton games with Gilbert, but he seemed to do fairly well against the larger forwards. But correct me if I'm wrong on that point, as it would be a key reason to have him.
Ooops sorry. I don't know what I was thinking...he's comparable to a young Scott Stevens with more offensive upside. How much are you overpaying again

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.