HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Opinion: 5th Overall to Toronto?

Old
06-07-2009, 01:09 AM
MickKaine

vCash: 500
Trade Opinion: 5th Overall to Toronto?

Hi, Leaf fan here and sorry if others have asked this before but what would it take for the Leafs to move up 2 spots to LA's 5th?

Keeping in mind Burke has said numerous times that Luke Schenn is pretty much untouchable and it would be great to see his brother Brayden as part of the rebuild in Toronto. Personally I figure a 6'4 consistent 20 goal scorer left winger in Ponikarovsky or an all-round solid experienced cup winning defender in Kubina would help LA. Last year it took a 2nd and a 3rd to move 2 spots from 7th to 5th, what do you guys think it would take this year?

So in your opinion, what would it realistically take exchange your 5th overall pick with Toronto's 7th overall?

MickKaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:27 AM
jimmy1100

I personally don't want to see the 5th moved, but I have seen quite a few people throw out the possibility of: LA 1st (5) to TOR for 1st (7) and Ponikarovsky.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:43 AM
Mike Burrell

As someone who watches the Leafs regularly, I have to say, you want more than just the 7th and Ponikarovsky.

Mike Burrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 02:45 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

If Atlanta takes Kane and Toronto wants Schenn, and the Kings are confident Pheonix will take Cowen, then I'm all for picking up Poni and moving down to 7th so long as we get MPS. If Atlanta takes MPS though, I think we have to stay at 5 and pick Kane.

I like Poni from what I've seen.

Fro-Kopi-Williams
Poni-Stoll-Brown

Not ideal, but I can definately live with that for next season. Poni has a nice and low cap hit, but it would also be scary having both our top 6 LW's going into UFA the next year.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 05:04 AM
Tatsdzyuk
wet fish

What about Grabovski? Higher value or lower I really don't watch the leafs so I don't know.

Tatsdzyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I want Schenn. Soooo, it better be good.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 05:43 AM
bral
Go Kings!

I can see this trade happening and it worries the **** outta me. It's very possible Dean has an off the board or lower ranked prospect in mind and trades the 5th to Burke who will be pushing for both Schenns. Unfortunately there is practically nothing I would want from TO except Luke Schenn and that would make the whole trade pointless.

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:54 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

The Leafs better start with Kaberle and the 7th. Burke has screwed up by letting everyone know how desperate he is to trade up.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Captain Ron

I don't understand how getting a player who will be an unrestricted free agent within 2 years (Ponikarovsky in 2010 or Kaberle in 2011) would make it worth dropping 2 spots. Unless Dean was going to trade one of these guys at the deadline in order to get another 2010 1st rounder.....then it might be worth it.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:57 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Schenn is just not worth passing up IMO and Toronto really has nothing to offer in terms of players or prospects (besides the unmovable Luke Schenn).

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
Schenn is just not worth passing up IMO and Toronto really has nothing to offer in terms of players or prospects (besides the unmovable Luke Schenn).
This, I think B.Schenn will be a king if DL doesn't package the pick for a star player.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 12:22 PM
socalpuck

This is not a bad deal but I would like to see DL make Tor. take TP and his contract in return as well.
LA gets;
7th 1rd.
Poni
2 rd 2010

Tor gets;
5th 1rd
TP

socalpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:10 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I want Schenn. Soooo, it better be good.
Same here.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:15 PM
KriticalKing*

Here is some speculation.

Lets say we pick Schenn over in LA...That means Luke will be an UFA before Braydon will be, Braydon will tell Luke how much he loves LA and possibly LA will eventually get the Schenn bros...just a thought

KriticalKing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:15 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

I like this trade, I have been discussing it on the Toronto board, they were ok with it to. I could see a 2nd in Poni doesnt sign and a 3rd if he does sign also in the trade.

7th and Poni + 2nd or 3rd

5th

Poni would help I think he would sign here and not cost a bundle. We still need a 1a or 1b center or a serious sniper though. I think we can get it with out the 5th so I think thats why this trade could work.

What about us getting Tampa 2nd for players and next years 1st?

JJ
Moller
Stoll
goalie
2010 1st

to much, not enough for Tavares or Hedman or Duschene?

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
everything depends on the draft........

If Kane or MPS are available at 7th i would do 7th + Poni
If not.. we stay away from a trade.

Kane would be our 2nd line Center or MPS our Left Wing missing piece, we can't affort to trade away what we all waited for year, a ballanced top 6.

So, if teh Leafs wanna have the 5th, they get send a top line left wing or center to L.A.
To bad they don't have some

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
everything depends on the draft........

If Kane or MPS are available at 7th i would do 7th + Poni
If not.. we stay away from a trade.
How would you know who would be available at #7 if you trade the pick before the #5 pick is made?

The only way that could be done is if Dean purposely drafted Schenn and then see Kane or MPS still available at #7 then trade Schenn for the pick (with something else added of course).

But I am not sure that a team has ever traded a player right after they were drafted.....it would be weird to see Schenn take off the Kings jersey just to put on the Maple Leafs....

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
How would you know who would be available at #7 if you trade the pick before the #5 pick is made?

The only way that could be done is if Dean purposely drafted Schenn and then see Kane or MPS still available at #7 then trade Schenn for the pick (with something else added of course).

But I am not sure that a team has ever traded a player right after they were drafted.....it would be weird to see Schenn take off the Kings jersey just to put on the Maple Leafs....
Happens in basketball, but I dont think it's ever happened in hockey.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
I don't understand how getting a player who will be an unrestricted free agent within 2 years (Ponikarovsky in 2010 or Kaberle in 2011) would make it worth dropping 2 spots.

I've argued this kind of thing so many times but I'll do it 'til my face goes blue like this smiley if I have to.

Moving up two spots won't take a Kaberle. It might not happen, but if it does, it won't take a Kaberle. Why? Because the only reason LA trades down in the first place is if the player they covet is not Schenn. If, for argument's sake, the player they covet is MPS, here are their options:

Just take MPS at 5.
Pick Schenn even though the player they really want MPS (doesn't tend to happen this high).
Trade down a couple spots if they know they can still get him and add a couple of draft picks.

Toronto and all of the other teams in the league know that if there isn't a deal available to trade down and ensure they still get their player, they'll likely just pick that player a bit higher than his generally accepted value anyway. I believe this is exactly what DL said right after selecting Hickey. They couldn't find the right deal to move down so they just picked "their guy" anyway. Burke said the same thing was the case with Bobby Ryan; they thought he could've been had as low as 6th but couldn't find a dance partner.

If Schenn is "LA's guy" then the argument is moot - they just pick Schenn. I mean, we did this exact same trade (7th to 5th) last season and it cost us a 2nd and a 3rd. I can't imagine anyone giving up a player of Kaberle's calibre to move up two spots. You can look at deals in past drafts and the price to move up a few spots is always way lower than people seem to think.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote