HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere to LA?

Old
06-08-2009, 12:30 AM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
This cammy vs. danny thing is stupid.

Briere makes the players around him better.
He'd also take pressure off of Kopi.

Two things cammy would never be able to do under any circumstances. The guy couldnt ever really hack it as a center (even though that's his self proclaimed "natural" position, that, for some reason, NHL coaches have for the most part avoided putting him at) under defensewutlol Marc Crawford FFS. The next time you see Cammy carry the puck over the blue line through any sort of resistance successfully will be the first time.

come on, you guys are better than this. danny has also been a winner at every level.

Im not trying to say the Kings need or should move the farm for Briere, but comparing him to cammy in any way other than size is ludicrous. He's better defensively than cammy, and he isn't a ****ing malcontent more interested in real estate dealings than winning hockey.

danny at 6.5 is better than cammy at 4. or even 3.5 Like the guy said before, when Calgary absolutely needed him the most, the guy no-showed. Briere doesn't do that.
I have agreed with you on a few subjects lately...but on this you obviously have blinders on. If you look at the early career of Briere he was actually quite average. He did not even play a full NHL season until he was 24 years old.....much like Mike.

Both put up similar numbers in their 1st seasons. But Briere was very up and down over the next few years until he had his breakout year in 06-07 (he was 29 years old at the time).

As for his playoff success Briere had only played in only 6 playoff games until he was 28 years old (same as Cammi) and they both put up 3 points in those games.

As for Briere not being greedy....
Quote:
It was widely speculated that Brière would return to his home province and play for the Montreal Canadiens, but he instead signed with the Philadelphia Flyers, who finished the previous season as the worst team in the NHL, to an eight-year, $52 million contract with a no-trade clause. The Flyers front-loaded the deal, paying Brière $10 million in the first season of the contract, making him the highest paid player of the league in 2007–08

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:43 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
finaly a guy who thinks teh right way........
Briere in Philly helps us more than Briere in here in L.A.

Why not wait for the next season and see teams burn in cap hell
I don't get your whole cap war against every other team. It really doesn't make that much of a difference. They will find a way to deal him if they were really intent on it. If it was that much of a negative to the team, they could part with him any time, to many teams. The guy is skilled and would work really well on a team like Atlanta. I don't see him coming here though because he would very much struggle fitting into TM's system and Lombardi's work ethic mantra. He's a great talent but his size and lack of defensive skill make him a liability on this team, where everyone's expected to play on both sides of the ice.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 03:10 AM
Mike The Franchise

I rather have Vinny

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:21 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
As for Briere not being greedy....

It was widely speculated that Brière would return to his home province and play for the Montreal Canadiens, but he instead signed with the Philadelphia Flyers, who finished the previous season as the worst team in the NHL, to an eight-year, $52 million contract with a no-trade clause. The Flyers front-loaded the deal, paying Brière $10 million in the first season of the contract, making him the highest paid player of the league in 2007–08
In Briere's defense, it was wildly speculated by the French media that he would automatically sign for the Canadiens, because apparently it is every French players dream to play for them (much like Leaf fans thinking every Ontario born player's dream in life is to suit up for the Leafs). Briere turned down a contract that was more $/year from Montreal for a longer-term contract from the Flyers.

From a Flyers fan point of view, I think most would take this/think hard about it. A lot would complain the JJ is a problem child and blah blah blah, but I have no doubt most of what we hear is just the media making things into a bigger deal then it is (although if there is any rumours to having a parent that is a bit too involved, that probably would scare of the Flyers after their last over-active parent fiasco).

As for the question of Briere playing wing earlier, he did play right wing near the end of the season/playoffs for us. One of the main reasons for this was because of the strength down the middle the Flyers have. When Briere was brought in, it was to be the #1 center. At that time, neither Mike Richards nor Jeff Carter were looking like they would turn into the players they have (though Richards did show flashes of it after the trade of Forsberg). However after both those players stepped it up, the team did have to adjust for it and of the three, Briere made the most sense to move to the wing.

For the Flyers over the salary cap statements, it is not as dire as most make it out. With the current roster going into next season (and this is using the signing of Emery for 1.5 million that sounds like it is pretty much done), the Flyers have 51.4 million tied up in 12 forwards, 5 defensemen and 1 goalie. Plus they have defensemen Sbisa for .875 who has a good chance to make the team. It is not this coming season but the following that could be bad for the Flyers if the cap drops a fair bit plus they have to re-sign Coburn and Parent.

I think Briere could be quite useful to LA. He was great offensively his first season here, and was one of our best players both playoff runs. Plus he is great on the PP. I would actually love to see a full season of him playing with Gagne and Giroux as they seemed to have amazing chemistry in the playoffs.

Besides, I am sure this rumour (and most around this time of the season) is just based on analysts having a lot of airtime and not much to say so they start pulling things from a certain part of their body.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
Besides, I am sure this rumour (and most around this time of the season) is just based on analysts having a lot of airtime and not much to say so they start pulling things from a certain part of their body.
Exactly

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:25 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I'm not sure how I feel about this possibility. I guess I'm for anything that improves the team now and in the foreseeable future that doesn't hurt the team at the same time. I guess I"m not opposed to it but I don't think it is the best option. I also don't picture him as a DL guy but I'm not sure if that is a bad thing! One thing to consider is his contract. Like Lecavalier's, the last few years are very tradable assuming he is still relatively productive and healthy. I'm not familiar with the CBA so maybe Captain Ron can answer this but if the Kings bought him out in say the last two years ($3m and $2m respectively), is that based on the CAP hit of $6.5m or his actual salary?

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Youngblood93

Pass, If the Kings were to trade with PHI for a bigger contract I'd want Carter and we all know that's not going to happen. Philly already screwed us with a salary dump (Roenick).

If DL doesn't trade for VL then we should just take our chances with Hossa, Gaborik, Havlat or the Twins come July 1st.

Last edited by Youngblood93: 06-08-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Pucknut50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Don't want, no matter the cost. Same goes for Smyth.
Agree. What happened we went from Hossa, Gaborik, and Lecavalier, to Briere and Smyth?

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:00 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Agree. What happened we went from Hossa, Gaborik, and Lecavalier, to Briere and Smyth?
Yea I know. I don't think we need a forward as much as a guy like JBO or Beauchemin though.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
I'll pass on Danielle.

Word.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this possibility. I guess I'm for anything that improves the team now and in the foreseeable future that doesn't hurt the team at the same time. I guess I"m not opposed to it but I don't think it is the best option. I also don't picture him as a DL guy but I'm not sure if that is a bad thing! One thing to consider is his contract. Like Lecavalier's, the last few years are very tradable assuming he is still relatively productive and healthy. I'm not familiar with the CBA so maybe Captain Ron can answer this but if the Kings bought him out in say the last two years ($3m and $2m respectively), is that based on the CAP hit of $6.5m or his actual salary?
The cap hit on a front loaded or back loaded contract gets sort of weird.....it is calculated by an odd formula where the actual money is constant but the cap hit fluctuates.

If Briere was bought out preceding the 2013-14 season his buyout amount (actual cash) would indeed be $3.33 million over a period of four years......which would cost $833,000 a year.

But the cap hit would be much different.

For the 2013-14 season his buyout cap hit would be $4.3 million.
For the 2014-15 season his buyout cap hit would be $5.33 million.
For the 2015-16 season his buyout cap hit would be $833,000.
For the 2016-17 season his buyout cap hit would be $833,000.

It would save a lot in actual money paid...but it really would not be a huge savings cap wise.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote