HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs - Flyers (Proposal)

Old
06-07-2009, 01:31 PM
sgupca

vCash: 500
Leafs - Flyers (Proposal)

This isn't trolling, I just want a feel for Briere's value on the trade front.

Lets be honest, outside of Garbovski we (The Leafs) don't have a talented #1 Centre (and even he is better suited for 2nd line duties). From the rumors here in Canada you guys are looking to move Briere - again those are rumors.

I personally think if Burke is going to take a salary dump he needs to target players that have BIG upside like Patrice Bergeron, Jordan Staal or Danny Briere.

Here is my proposal - to get a feel for value:

To Toronto:

Danny Briere
1st round pick (2009 or 2010 - Flyers choice)

To Flyers:

Tomas Kaberle
Matt Stajan
3rd round pick

Break down - Stajan gives you guys a quality Centre that plays behind Carter & Richards (who only makes 1.7 mil)

Kaberle gives you the #1 or #2 PP QB.

Briere gives Toronto its #1 Centre we lack so badly.

Again, this isn't trolling; i'm just getting an idea of what the flyers feel Briere's value is.

Thanks

Last edited by sgupca: 06-07-2009 at 01:39 PM.
sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:35 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'd do it.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Garbage Goal

I'd do it. Always sucks losing a 1st rounder, but I feel it's worth it. I doubt Leafs fans would go for this though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:39 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I'd do it. Always sucks losing a 1st rounder, but I feel it's worth it. I doubt Leafs fans would go for this though.
I'm a leaf fan, as big as they come...

and i started the Thread...i'd do it, i think Briere in Toronto could really flourish, and he could potientially be deadly if we brought in Cammalleri via-UFA.

Old
06-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Cleary84

I'll do it as well. I really like Kaberle.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

I was already rolling my eyes predicting a Kaberle for Carter proposal, but I'd do this one. Well done.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:45 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
I was already rolling my eyes predicting a Kaberle for Carter proposal, but I'd do this one. Well done.
I'm a realistic leaf fan

Our Carter for Kaberle deal is long over

Sundin screwed us by talking all of those guys (our fab 5) from waiving their NTC's last year

Kaberle's value has dropped since then and Carter is now an elite player...i have to be realistic.

Kaberle's value is on par with Briere's now IMO.

Old
06-07-2009, 01:47 PM
FlyersFan30
lolwut

I like this deal too

FlyersFan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:47 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
I'm a realistic leaf fan

Our Carter for Kaberle deal is long over

Sundin screwed us by talking all of those guys (our fab 5) from waiving their NTC's last year

Kaberle's value has dropped since then and Carter is now an elite player...i have to be realistic.

Kaberle's value is on par with Briere's now IMO.
A lot of Leaf fans would probably argue about your value, but what I like about it is it takes into account what the Flyers are looking for - a defenseman to take minutes from Timonen and a third line centre, all while moviing Briere's salary and replacing it with two players that help our needs.

Old
06-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Claude Giroux

The 3rd rounder is the cherry on top.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:50 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Hmm, this is a tricky one because I'm against adding J-Bow because of the length of his deal, but Kaberle allows us to shed Briere and he's also pretty affordable.

I'd probably lean towards no because I think our defense is good enough as is with prospects coming (you can read my long post in the rumors thread if you are bored), but it's fair from a value standpoint.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:51 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Id do it if it was the 2010 1st.
Stajan would be a good fit on the 3rd line at decent money(1.75 million)
This deal would pretty much make Carle expendable.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:51 PM
grabo84

To be honest sgupca, I don't see Burke trading for Briere. Anyways, for me, this deal hinges around how the medical staff feels about Briere's health - this past season of his really put me on edge. I realise that he's typically been durable, but that worries me. If healthy, I'd consider it, but there would have to be some fiddling with value. No reason to add the 3rd, and it'd have to be the '09 first.

On a side note, would Briere waive to come to Toronto?

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:52 PM
sgupca

Quote:
A lot of Leaf fans would probably argue about your value, but what I like about it is it takes into account what the Flyers are looking for - a defenseman to take minutes from Timonen and a third line centre, all while moviing Briere's salary and replacing it with two players that help our needs.
I posted this trade in a thread on our board, and it seems to be going over pretty well there as well.

And i also take team needs into account

I hate when posters run to the trade/rumor page and toss stupid proposals on there....most of the time the guys are from our board, they make us leaf fans look like fools...

But since most of us (leaf fans) agree with this trade, and you guys seem to like it when need to give our GM's a call and make this happen.

Old
06-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
To be honest sgupca, I don't see Burke trading for Briere. Anyways, for me, this deal hinges around how the medical staff feels about Briere's health - this past season of his really put me on edge. I realise that he's typically been durable, but that worries me. If healthy, I'd consider it, but there would have to be some fiddling with value.

You'd have to ask him that.

As for his health - Holmgren said a couple weeks ago that Danny is 100% healthy.

Old
06-07-2009, 01:54 PM
Claude Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Hmm, this is a tricky one because I'm against adding J-Bow because of the length of his deal, but Kaberle allows us to shed Briere and he's also pretty affordable.

I'd probably lean towards no because I think our defense is good enough as is with prospects coming (you can read my long post in the rumors thread if you are bored), but it's fair from a value standpoint.
I agree about our defense, but the rest of the division would **** their pants if we added Kaberle.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 01:55 PM
sgupca

Quote:
To be honest sgupca, I don't see Burke trading for Briere. Anyways, for me, this deal hinges around how the medical staff feels about Briere's health - this past season of his really put me on edge. I realise that he's typically been durable, but that worries me. If healthy, I'd consider it, but there would have to be some fiddling with value. No reason to add the 3rd, and it'd have to be the '09 first.

we are sort of getting off topic, but yes he would.

He isn't the "man" anymore with the flyers. Carter and Richards stole his thunder.

He'd be the man again in Toronto.

Old
06-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
I posted this trade in a thread on our board, and it seems to be going over pretty well there as well.

And i also take team needs into account

I hate when posters run to the trade/rumor page and toss stupid proposals on there....most of the time the guys are from our board, they make us leaf fans look like fools...

But since most of us (leaf fans) agree with this trade, and you guys seem to like it when need to give our GM's a call and make this happen.
I can see why Leaf fans would agree to it as well. First of all, you guys need more offensive flair, and Briere is a top line guy if you give him the ice time (one of the reasons we want to move him - there's no ice time for him). Second of all, I know Burke loves his first rounders and will want to stockpile top prospects to rebuild the team.

Completely makes sense to me.

Old
06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
sgupca

Quote:
I can see why Leaf fans would agree to it as well. First of all, you guys need more offensive flair, and Briere is a top line guy if you give him the ice time (one of the reasons we want to move him - there's no ice time for him). Second of all, I know Burke loves his first rounders and will want to stockpile top prospects to rebuild the team.

Completely makes sense to me.
Those we my exact thoughts

Kaberle = Briere
Stajan + 3rd = 1st round pick

Everyone is happy, salaries (cap hit anyways) is pretty close.

Old
06-07-2009, 02:01 PM
grabo84

I've always been saying on the Leafs board that it was more likely Burke would want to get a first line centre for Kaberle. This makes sense in that context. Actually, I'm warming up to it more as time goes on - maybe its just the fact that I've watched a few Gilmour highlight reels in a row that has me feeling this way, but I like the idea of Briere in blue and white. Losing Stajan doesn't really matter to me.

Old
06-07-2009, 02:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

Kaberle = Briere

It gives us about $500K of relief, and it a decent trade. Definitely relieving to see a nice trade that isn't Kaberle for Carter + Lupul + 1st style.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 02:03 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I agree about our defense, but the rest of the division would **** their pants if we added Kaberle.
Hmm I dunno. The type of guy we need isn't Kaberle, he's essentially a better version of Carle, the type of guy we need is the one that gets in the chops of opposing forwards who crash our net (think Brooks Orpik, preferably without the 3.750 cap hit).

Now, if you do this deal and then trade Carle for that type of "get in your face" guy, that would be good.

I'd still just be a little worried about offense if we lose Briere, Lupul, and Knuble all in one offseason and basically count on JVR and Nodl to replace them.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 02:03 PM
grabo84

Quote:

Kaberle = Briere

I don't know if I'd break it down like that. Kaberle has more value than Briere, and the first has more value than Stajan. Ultimately, it evens out.

Old
06-07-2009, 02:04 PM
sgupca

Quote:
I've always been saying on the Leafs board that it was more likely Burke would want to get a first line centre for Kaberle. This makes sense in that context. Actually, I'm warming up to it more as time goes on - maybe its just the fact that I've watched a few Gilmour highlight reels in a row that has me feeling this way, but I like the idea of Briere in blue and white. Losing Stajan doesn't really matter to me.
Exactly, we need a guy with flair, they need a 3rd line Centre who doesn't make 7 mil.

Kaberle would also give them one scary defense...see...once you think about this trade, it makes just as much sense for us leaf fans as it does the flyers.

Old
06-07-2009, 02:06 PM
XS Chop

As an added incentive for the Leafs, it sure would tick off Habs fans something fierce.

XS Chop is offline   Reply With Quote