HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D'agostini potential

Old
06-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I like Daggers game a lot.

He's fast, has a good shot, he digs along the boards, also he's not afraid to drive the net hard. A lot of potential there.

The guys calling him soft don't seem to have any idea what that means, he is not afraid at all to try and go right through big D men to the net. Dagger is hard as nails compared to some of the euro perimeter players like Plekanec and Kostitsyn who are allergic to the crease and the corners.
You can't fool us Benoît Brunet.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:55 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
You can't fool us Benoît Brunet.
lol good one

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:58 AM
LeMAD

I don't think Benoit Brunet is the only one sseing the flaws that will prevent AKost from being a good NHLer.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:27 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
I don't think Benoit Brunet is the only one sseing the flaws that will prevent AKost from being a good NHLer.
Every players has flaws and in this case it's motivation more then anything else.
Andrei can be a top winger.

Old
06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
12 5 3 8. His stats in his first play-offs. That's pretty good play-off numbers.

I'd like to hear what is going to prevent him from being a good NHLer. As far as I'm concerned, he already is a good NHLer. He does go to the front of the net, moreso than Latendresse who's game is better suited for it. Kostitsyn does line up and throw big hits. His defensive game and mental game need work but with the right coaching, he'll become the player he was drafted to be.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
12 5 3 8. His stats in his first play-offs. That's pretty good play-off numbers.

I'd like to hear what is going to prevent him from being a good NHLer. As far as I'm concerned, he already is a good NHLer. He does go to the front of the net, moreso than Latendresse who's game is better suited for it. Kostitsyn does line up and throw big hits. His defensive game and mental game need work but with the right coaching, he'll become the player he was drafted to be.
Bingo

Old
06-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Prospector

People have a short memory... D'agostini is the reason why we made it to the first round with his 2 goals performance against the bruins during the next-to-last game of the season...
I think he's gonna score a lot of clutch goals for us in the future.

Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Newhabfan

D'agostini has potential. We will only be able to judge his value once he played a full season, with stable linemates and in a good system. He could be a bust or he could score 30 goals...both are realistic options.

I hate when people use "streaky" to evaluate the "potential". Scoring is a rare event in a hockey game - depends on so many factors, mostly on the quality of your full team. So, he stopped scoring when the whole team stopped playing and he was sent to the 4th line. Big deal.

As for the "perimeter" player - that's mostly related to coaching IMO, and to the gameplan that the whole team buys into. His skills are his speed and his shot - he's a sniper not a "get in the crease to deflect for garbage goals" player.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Turboflex*

Andrei Kostitsyn: 16 pts in last 40 games

THE FRANCHISE YEAH!!

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Megaforce

I think he played a lot of games quite seriously injured. There was a stretch where he was terrible. Ten times out of ten he'd come out of the corner without the puck. But he has an even better release than the chesty girl at the NDG massage parlour, hopefully he can score some serious goalage.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Andrei Kostitsyn: 16 pts in last 40 games

THE FRANCHISE YEAH!!
He was also top 10 scoring in the league during the late december/mid january period, when he played a center with which he had chemistry.

But the haters hate, can't stop that.

Old
06-08-2009, 11:20 AM
LeMAD

Quote:

Right now he is not a good nhler (and he wasn't even last year when he leeched off Kovalev and Plekanec). He's not good enough offensively for the moment to compensate for his bad defensive play and he doesn't fit well in terms of chemistry with anyone since he doesn't have much hockey sense.

He could become a useful player if he learns to play a more straightforward offensive game, using his body and hands to give him space and use a lot more his shot instead of looking to pass (since he simply can't make a decent pass). He will also need to do his job defensively.

He doesn't have the sense to become a great player, but he still has the tools to get 60-something points a year.

But he looks like he's not the smartest guy and I fear he'll end up like Sergei Berezin.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:31 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
Uh...More of of the 'bash our youngsters because they aren't studs immediately' attitude.

Great.
Sickening ! The Detroit Red Wings win Stanley Cups because their attitude is the opposite of this . It seems some people on this board know very little about learning curves , asset management and player developement .

Fifty plus games in and he's already been labelled as soft , inconsistent , streaky , defensively inept and a perimeter player . I was more impressed with the twelve goals he scored under very difficult circumstances on a team that was going down the chit pipe quicker than yesterdays dinner did this morning . Patience folks , and remember ; this time last year according to many , Bobby Ryan was a bust .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:40 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

D'Agostini has been a streaky player in the past so I'm not surprised that he would continue that way. He's got the speed and shot, didn't use his slap shot much yet, but he's got a good one, he can crank it and has scored some sick ones top shelf in the past.

He's got to get stronger and get his nose dirty more, is likely never going to be great in his own end either. I think his passing game is underrated, can he dish the puck as he has decent offensive instincts imo. I also would consider him to be on the soft side, the physical game is not really his thing, he can throw some hits as he does have a decent frame and with his speed he can catch people, but imo his role in the NHL is going to be putting points on the board, if he does that he'll stick if not he's going to have a hard time staying in a lineup on a good team.

What a year he had in the AHL though, he was on fire, it was like everything was going in for him, hopefully he works hard this summer, will be interesting to see what the coach can do with him, as he's got to improve his defensive play.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 11:59 AM
holyhabs

[QUOTE=Turboflex;19832423]I like Daggers game a lot.

He's fast, has a good shot, he digs along the boards, also he's not afraid to drive the net hard. A lot of potential there.

The guys calling him soft don't seem to have any idea what that means, he is not afraid at all to try and go right through big D men to the net. Dagger is hard as nails compared to some of the euro perimeter players like Plekanec and Kostitsyn who are allergic to the crease and the corners.[/QUOTE]

and you saying the 2nd bolded part shows you dont even watch games....maybe when he started getting cold torwards the end of the year he did it less often...i will give you that..but he is often in front of the net on the pp and other times as well.

heck our soft little euro still had more of an impact in the playoffs than our local heros in lapierre and lats..but nobody talks about that.

holyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:09 PM
CanadienErrant*

D'Agostini = Ryder

I am willing to give him chances to score goals. Eventually, he might become better on his D game.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:10 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
Sickening ! The Detroit Red Wings win Stanley Cups because their attitude is the opposite of this . It seems some people on this board know very little about learning curves , asset management and player developement .

Fifty plus games in and he's already been labelled as soft , inconsistent , streaky , defensively inept and a perimeter player . I was more impressed with the twelve goals he scored under very difficult circumstances on a team that was going down the chit pipe quicker than yesterdays dinner did this morning . Patience folks , and remember ; this time last year according to many , Bobby Ryan was a bust .
Bingo!! People here are just being ********. When you bring up examples of why you should be patient, though, they'll just say things like "Ryan is big. I always knew he would be good." In reality, they probably always thought Ryan was "too slow" to be a good NHLer. They just see the flaws and not the good in players, even though they're far too young to be judged like that when they can still improve. Lie all you want and make all the excuses you want, people, but we all know you misjudged these players by not being patient in the past. You'll misjudge them in the future, too, if you don't learn some patience.

MonacoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Natedawg
Lars Eller

For a guy that hasn't even played a full season in the NHL yet, I like what I see. He has a nose for scoring goals, 25 - 30 is probably his ceiling. He has the size to go to the dirty places.

2nd/3rd line winger. Needs to work on all around game, just like 99% of rookies in this league.

Natedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:14 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
3rd line scoring winger on a 3-line offensive team. He's streaky atm, he's defensive game needs work. That being said, does not back down from a challenge, strong on his skates and willing to do the dirty work and go into traffic. He's not our typical top 6.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Right now he is not a good nhler (and he wasn't even last year when he leeched off Kovalev and Plekanec). He's not good enough offensively for the moment to compensate for his bad defensive play and he doesn't fit well in terms of chemistry with anyone since he doesn't have much hockey sense.

He could become a useful player if he learns to play a more straightforward offensive game, using his body and hands to give him space and use a lot more his shot instead of looking to pass (since he simply can't make a decent pass). He will also need to do his job defensively.

He doesn't have the sense to become a great player, but he still has the tools to get 60-something points a year.

But he looks like he's not the smartest guy and I fear he'll end up like Sergei Berezin.
I'm sorry because you didn't come off like a ****** in your post. But that's simply one of the worst analysis of Andrei Kostitsyn I've ever heard.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
and you saying the 2nd bolded part shows you dont even watch games....maybe when he started getting cold torwards the end of the year he did it less often...i will give you that..but he is often in front of the net on the pp and other times as well.

heck our soft little euro still had more of an impact in the playoffs than our local heros in lapierre and lats..but nobody talks about that.
What he showed up for one game?

Incase you haven't noticed, he's now getting paid impact player salary (3.5m) which means he can not be compared to lats/laps who are getting paid entry level plugger 3rd/4th line salaries.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
I'm sorry because you didn't come off like a ****** in your post. But that's simply one of the worst analysis of Andrei Kostitsyn I've ever heard.
I agree! I find him to be a really good passer. I was actually surprised by what he could do with the puck when I first saw him, and at one point, he was only passing and never used his shot. Right now, he's more balanced. He has yet to put it all together, but he's still a good offensive player who can play a physical style of game AND PARK HIMSELF IN FRONT OF THE NET ON THE PP. I don't think he should be there though. He's not made for that job, but at least, he's doing what he is asked to do.

As for D'Agostini, he's really looking like a speedy version of Ryder. He's a pure sniper. A pure STREAKY sniper...that's his main weakness right now. He won't ever be a first line player, but he would be good with a playmaker on a second line. He'll also be good on the power play as his shot his great. I guess we can expect 30-20 from him. Not next year though...maybe in 2 or 3 years...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Matt D'Agostini starting in the NHL makes me thing of D'Agostini when he started in the AHL. Same qualities shown, same problems to fix. He had a similar inconsistent year, both offensively and defensively in the AHL, after that his two-way play became better, and then his offense started kicking into high gear. With a good coach, I could see the same thing happening to him in the NHL.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:57 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
What he showed up for one game?

Incase you haven't noticed, he's now getting paid impact player salary (3.5m) which means he can not be compared to lats/laps who are getting paid entry level plugger 3rd/4th line salaries.
He also managed to score 1/6th of our goals in the POs.

That's the equivalent to scoring 40 for this team in the regular season (242/6).

Keep the hatin' goin', brah.

Old
06-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:

Berezin? Come on dude.

Stop with the 'what have you done for me lately' attitude. He's only played two seasons, one in which he had injuries + media circus, and yet had two sequences of 20+ games of PPG scoring in both seasons, and both seasons of 20+ goals. How can you actually compare him to Berezin.

Berezin in his best NHL days could only wish to have half the talent of AKost on his bad days. You actually understand that Berezin had the stats he had because he played with Sundin and other good centers when the Laffs had a pretty decent team. AKost has shown more than Berezin in his first two seasons. Oh and Berezin was 25 when he started in the league. By the age of 27, after his first two seasons, he had less goals than AKost at 25 in his first two seasons. Your fears are pretty much unjustified if you look at what AKost has done already.

Quote:
Ditto.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote