Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Level of Finish Elite League

Old
07-27-2009, 02:00 PM
Talentless Practise*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Are you kidding me? Where did you hear that?
From watching one of the better teams as a STH the last 8 years. It basically comes down to money. The league was pretty competitive top-to-bottom with the SEL and the NLA and the then-RSL but the last 5-6 years has seen those other leagues distance themselves from the SM-liiga.

Leagues like the SEL have professional businessmen negotiating league-wide sponsorships, have new arenas to generate revenue and professional marketing while the Finnish clubs are run by amateurish used-car salesmen who are mostly bickering amongst themselves about how what little revenue there is is shared. There are scarcely any league-wide sponsors, teams mostly play in ancient, small arenas that they can't sell out and all but few of the teams lose money every year.

The result of this is the SM-Liiga is nowadays purely a developmental league with pretty much no in-prime European level stars at all. This then leads to even less public interest and even greater difficulties to get butts in the seats.

Take the TV-deal for instance. The SEL has a deal worth ten times as much yearly as the SM-Liiga contract, which was a while ago sold to a makeshift company that doesn't even have a broadcasting license as i write this.

Us Finns are a bunch proud of our hockey and i'll probably get a few of the blue emoticons but these are the facts as i've experienced them. Ofcourse the post you quoted was hyperbole used to illustrate the lack of skill in the league.

Last edited by Talentless Practise*: 07-27-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 02:20 PM
Ciccarelli

I agree with some of the points mentioned above. The league really is run by amateurs. The level of the play isn't as bad as some make it seem though, it's still neck to neck with the best leagues in Europe (not including the KHL).

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 05:07 AM
Finnpin

90-95% of the teams management:
SM-Liiga GM and management:

And what about this Urho-TV!?

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2009, 06:05 PM
1992LuckyTown

Is there a risk that HockeyAllsvenskan catches Sm-liga in revenue and play?

It not ment as a insult but if there is no development in Arenas and Marketing in Sm-liga it is a risk. Are thre new Arenas and other positive news on the agenda or are more teams heding the Espoo Blues way?
Hockeyallsvenskan is on the rise they got new better tv deal and big teams like Leksand,Malmö,Aik,Björklöven and Västerås plus alot of teams how are working on getting new arenas like Almtuna,Växsjö, Örebro. The avrege att. was 2600 and with 14 teams insted of 16 i think this will rise.
Mostly i am intrested in the development of the leage and the teams.

1992LuckyTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2009, 08:30 AM
raystorm

Weel first new news. Blues did -2,1 million loses last season. But that's good progress because last season they did over -3 million loses.

You ask something to the arenas. Here in Finland we have only two teams which own their arenas and these teams are Blues and Jokerit. And that sucks. But in Tampere Tappara may built own arena (about 8000-12000 capacity). In Jyväskylä JYP makes over 500 seats more to their arena. And Mestis team Sport is making more seats their arena after next season.

And one more thing. Finnish this century best team Kärpät plays little 6600 capacity arena. And that's little surprising. I think that if they built their own arena (about 8000-10 000) they will make lot more money.

What comes to Hockey allsvenskan i think that if we finally get clever decisions about SM-liiga we might get ice-hockey shining again in Finland. First thing is that Sm-liiga should have only 12 teams not 14 which is too much.

raystorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Ciccarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKarlRobin View Post
It not ment as a insult but if there is no development in Arenas and Marketing in Sm-liga it is a risk. Are thre new Arenas and other positive news on the agenda or are more teams heding the Espoo Blues way?
Hockeyallsvenskan is on the rise they got new better tv deal and big teams like Leksand,Malmö,Aik,Björklöven and Västerås plus alot of teams how are working on getting new arenas like Almtuna,Växsjö, Örebro. The avrege att. was 2600 and with 14 teams insted of 16 i think this will rise.
Mostly i am intrested in the development of the leage and the teams.
Blues have always been in troubles "money-wise" as already mentioned, but they have one of the best or atleast healthiest teams they've ever had in their short history, loads of talented young guys. They're definately heading the right direction, not signing guys like Kohn and Clarke.

Some top Allsvenskan teams already make more revenue than some of the bottom SM-liiga teams, this has been the case for years and years and I don't see that as a threat for SM-liiga. The cap between the play is lightyears, the best players Allsvenskan can "steal" from SM-liiga are guys like Tero Koponen and Eetu Holma who are just not good enough for the SM-liiga, Allsvenskan is definately not a threat for SM-liiga in terms of play either.

If anything I can see Mestis becoming a threat for Allsvenskan, due to the fact that SM-liiga is now an "open-league" some of the Mestis teams have really strenghtened alot. Mainly talking about KooKoo and Sport, both of which just two years ago would've just been less than mediocre teams in Allsvenskan, now are at the level of some upper-mid level teams like Björklöven ans Västerås.

Old
09-21-2009, 06:55 PM
luciousharris

Send a message via AIM to luciousharris Send a message via MSN to luciousharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVP View Post
Probably similar to the ECHL - a little better in some places like Vaasa or Vantaa. Lower tier teams not so much so. Most teams have some exchange agreements with SM-Liiga clubs so you're getting some talented youngsters loaned to the teams. Plus, there are far fewer teams in Mestis than there are in the ECHL (although it's been shrinking as a result of the economy) so the range between top and bottom franchises isn't as wide as it is in the ECHL.
I hate to beat on a old thread. But I was looking at some of the rosters from the Mestis league. I saw that there were a number of players from the SPHL that were playing in the league. Could anyone tell me how they faired?

Last edited by luciousharris: 09-21-2009 at 07:33 PM.
luciousharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 07:43 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by major league View Post
I hate to beat on a old thread. But I was looking at some of the rosters from the Mestis league. I saw that there were a number of players from the SPHL that were playing in the league. Could anyone tell me how they faired?
Nistas is a treat. An offensive gem who could make it in SM-liiga if he wasn't so darn afraid of contact.... Not so sure about the others.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
1992LuckyTown

And ?

What is the level of sphl i have never heard of the League.

Old
09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
luciousharris

Quote:
What is the level of sphl i have never heard of the League.
Sorry, I should have been a litte more detailed in my question. the SPHL is a low end minor league. Two levels below the ECHL. Most of the players would be thrid line or lower in the ECHL. So I was surprised that I saw a number of players playing in the Mestis league. No offence to any SPHL player.

Old
09-22-2009, 06:52 PM
1992LuckyTown

Ok then know why i heard of it is so low level and players you would never See in sweden's 2 highest divisions maybe in tier 2 if they was a success in Metis but i doth it. Even in HA (2 tier) you have to have played Ahl or made it in some other leage in Europe first if tou are From NA as you have to be a "star" in the team not 4 line grinder.

Old
09-23-2009, 04:14 AM
Finnpin

There are few "stars" that have been discovered from the Mestis: Pasi Nurminen, Alexander Salak, Timo Pärssinen and Jukka Hentunen for example. Maybe I forget somebody? But these kinds of names are kinda rare. There are few NA/foreign players playing there atm that want to have a showing place for SM-Liiga/other european leagues.

Last edited by Finnpin: 09-23-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 10:04 AM
raystorm

Antti Erkinjuntti is ne of the new players who have raise to Sm-liiga's star level or close it. Mestis is nowdays raising their skill level more and more. There are few good players like Juha Kiilholma, Bryan Mcgregor, Lou Dickenson, Mikko Rämö, Jarno Kultanen and someother guys.

raystorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2009, 01:58 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Ok then know why i heard of it is so low level and players you would never See in sweden's 2 highest divisions maybe in tier 2 if they was a success in Metis but i doth it. Even in HA (2 tier) you have to have played Ahl or made it in some other leage in Europe first if tou are From NA as you have to be a "star" in the team not 4 line grinder.
Larrivée was awkward in the AHL... And he hit it big in denmark and thus got an Allsvenskan contract...

Matzka and Larrivée would be awful AHLers, but if they would've stayed in NA they would've been ECHL level players.

DiCasmirro would be an AHLer, but a horrible one in the offensive part of the game, or in any part of the game which includes the puck...

Swedish teams usually aren't as interested in getting north american players but concentrate on getting danes, slovakians and norwegians who have an easier time getting used to the huge ice surface.

Old
09-23-2009, 05:04 PM
luciousharris

Quote:
I am not sure as to what your point is. What I was trying to say was I heard the Mestis was a very good league. I am not trying to compare it to any other league, I am just saying I heard it was good.
So i was surprised to see SPHL players playing there. I thought you would need atleast CHL or ECHl level to play there. And the other thing is theses players had decent number. Not great,but decent. The one thing I did notice is that these players played on the bottom team in the Mestis.

Old
09-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Ciccarelli

Quote:
So i was surprised to see SPHL players playing there. I thought you would need atleast CHL or ECHl level to play there. And the other thing is theses players had decent number. Not great,but decent. The one thing I did notice is that these players played on the bottom team in the Mestis.
I'm not completely aware of the skill level in SPHL (how SPHL teams would fare against ECHL teams for example), but there have been quite many ECHL calibre players who have completely failed at Mestis level, on the other hand - as you mentioned - some SPHL players have done rather well. It's probably more about how the player adjusts to the bigger rink and European play.

Old
09-24-2009, 06:27 AM
luciousharris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciccarelli View Post
I'm not completely aware of the skill level in SPHL (how SPHL teams would fare against ECHL teams for example), but there have been quite many ECHL calibre players who have completely failed at Mestis level, on the other hand - as you mentioned - some SPHL players have done rather well. It's probably more about how the player adjusts to the bigger rink and European play.
I guess that would be the case. The smaller players can use their speed on the larger ice surface.. As far as ECHL vs SPHL. It wouldn't even be a contest. The ECHL teams would clearly beat an SPHL team. ECHL is considered AA,while the SPHL is considered A.

Old
09-24-2009, 07:14 PM
1992LuckyTown

Intresting

Quote:
I guess that would be the case. The smaller players can use their speed on the larger ice surface.. As far as ECHL vs SPHL. It wouldn't even be a contest. The ECHL teams would clearly beat an SPHL team. ECHL is considered AA,while the SPHL is considered A.
Interesting not only i learn more about Finnish hockey i learn how NA Hockey minor system is built up. As for the level of Mesti it is hard for me to say but the players do not have impressive resumes so the level of play is probably not that good. And definitely lower than HA (Swedish tier 2) but this is not so strange as most of the teams in Mesti are Amateur or semi-pro Where in HA(Swedish tier 2) most of the players are pro correct me if i am wrong?

Is The players in ECHL and SPHL , Pro, semi-pro or Amatuer? I suspect that Jani Hurme in my team Malmö (Swedish tier 2) have more paid than a hole Metis team 400 000 euro a year hu ha it would be helpful if a Sm-liga team could pick him up.

Mattihp/ don´t forget Finns definitely the most common non Swedish players. As from the prospective from Nhl clubs I would rank the Swedish and Finnish leagues like this
Elitserien
Sm-Liga
HockeyAllsvenskan
Mettis have this league ever had a player go directly to a Nhl?

I feels like Mettis is over ratted by some people hear

Old
09-25-2009, 06:12 AM
mattihp

Quote:

Mattihp/ don´t forget Finns definitely the most common non Swedish players. As from the prospective from Nhl clubs I would rank the Swedish and Finnish leagues like this
Elitserien
Sm-Liga
HockeyAllsvenskan
Mettis have this league ever had a player go directly to a Nhl?

I feels like Mettis is over ratted by some people hear
Mestis is definately a lower level than Hockey Allsvenskan, especially as a development league, some of it might be because of the SM-liiga being a closed league. For a border line SM-liiga player it is much more attractive to go to other leagues like allsvenskan, the danish and norwegian leagues since they get to play on a highest level in a country while if they chose Mestis.. Their chances would be minimal to make an SM-liiga squad since SM-liiga squads get good time with their jr players and don't have to worry about getting demoted for not doing so well for one season, etc.

Old
09-25-2009, 06:32 AM
Ciccarelli

Now that they dicided to open Sm-liiga again, Mestis will get stronger (as already seen this quickly), Sport and KooKoo are pretty much on par with Allsvenskan teams like Vaxjö and Björklöven (Sport beat pretty easily both of these teams in the pre-season, no?), then there are teams like Jokipojat and Hokki that could probably fight for a spot in the Kvalserien. So yeah, right now Allsvenskan is a par higher than Mestis, but in five years or so they will be pretty equal.

And what comes to "over ratting" Mestis, I highly suggest you read some of the material the swedish media writes about swedish hockey leagues (mainly Elitserien and Allsvenskan), it's ridiculous how biased they are and how much they overrate those leagues, people in Sweden seem to think Allsvenskan is higher caliber league than SM-liiga.

Old
09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
1992LuckyTown

Cicerlli/ no i don´t think HAllsvenskan is better than Sm-Liga an d i don´t think it will ever be. Yes Swedish journalist has no knowledge of finish hockey. Why Many Finish players comes to play in sweden is simpel you make more money so Top end Sm-Liga players end up in Elitserien. So the low valuation of Sm-liga in Sweden is becase Swedish teams Many times "take" their best players but on the other hand Sm-liga teams off-en beats Elitserien teams so their it is more even the problem is to get a really good valuation they would have to play in the same league.

I my self love Finnsh players they are with NA-players the best imports they have hart most of the times sadly Tjeck,Slovak and Russian is many times selfish and puts them self before the team. Many of Malmös best players have been Finns i remember the seson when we hade The line Juha Rihijervi, Janne Ojannen, Miko Peltola, Miko kiprsoff, Kari Hrela sorry about the spelling Finnish names are hard to spell. We only finished 8 but it was exciting to see them play they could score at will cccp stile.

Old
09-25-2009, 09:45 PM
luciousharris

I think the poor old Mestis league is caught in the middle. The top teams can afford some pretty good players. But the bottom teams don't pay enough to draw high end players. I think the good thing from what I wsa told by a Finn that played Sm Liga was that there are allot of younger players that move through the ranks. Mainly the Mestis league. And it really helps the level. Just their ambition to move up helps keep the level competitive. So it may not be as good as SM Liga but the league does serve a purpose.

Old
09-26-2009, 04:11 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Many of Malmös best players have been Finns i remember the seson when we hade The line Juha Rihijervi, Janne Ojannen, Miko Peltola, Miko kiprsoff, Kari Hrela sorry about the spelling Finnish names are hard to spell. We only finished 8 but it was exciting to see them play they could score at will cccp stile.
Wow. That's a record in bad spelling, even by a swede.

Old
09-26-2009, 09:05 AM
1992LuckyTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Wow. That's a record in bad spelling, even by a swede.
yes i know i should have checkt upp the names. Are you a Leksand supporter mattihp ? Is this the year or is it same as last year James only time will tell

Old
09-26-2009, 02:55 PM
mattihp

Quote:
yes i know i should have checkt upp the names. Are you a Leksand supporter mattihp ? Is this the year or is it same as last year James only time will tell
I don't quite cheer for any swedish team, the play is too slow and system-based for me to get emotionally involved.