HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers need star... plus more ( LArry Brooks)

Old
06-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Rangers08wedabest

vCash: 500
Rangers need star... plus more ( LArry Brooks)

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06072009...hot_172910.htm

Rangers08wedabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Rangers08wedabest

Forget Mike Cammalleri, a nice player who is going to get way too much money as a free agent. Forget acquiring Jonathan Cheechoo, who has had two consecutive bad seasons. Forget Brian Gionta, who belongs on the other side of the river. Forget B players.

Rangers08wedabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Love his plan to sign Gaborik but he doesn't really say how the Rangers can get it done under the cap, I don't think he's gonna go for that one year incentive deal. Agree stay away from Cheechoo and Gionta. I actually agree with him on everything except trading away Staal as plan B.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Edge

And what exactly does Larry thing a one year contract is going to do?

The Rangers aren't exactly one player away from being a contender right now.

Larry hit the nail on the head about getting a star via the draft. The Rangers refuse to do that. If they ever did, they'd be a dangerous team with their resources.

Detroit is one of the few teams that have done it without a high pick, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:09 PM
DarthSather99

Larry always wants star players that keep us mediocre.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:16 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Love his plan to sign Gaborik but he doesn't really say how the Rangers can get it done under the cap, I don't think he's gonna go for that one year incentive deal. Agree stay away from Cheechoo and Gionta. I actually agree with him on everything except trading away Staal as plan B.
yeah, he just says IF. Man, IF that was all it took to be a professional writer. If (there's that word again!) you read between the lines, the only way we can afford to incentives Brooks suggests is to trade Gomez/Drury or Rosival/Redden +. I think he's written about doing such things before so maybe he just took it for granted that we've read all his previous articles and therefore the 'how' should be obvious?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:18 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I don't understand Larry's infatuation with Gabby. He's a fantastic player, without question. But his injury record should really make him persona-non-grata for Sather. I absolutely do NOT want to get a guy that consistently can't get through an 82 game season. It's another useless charge against the cap that we can't afford.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Larry is an idiot who no one takes seriously anymore. Not that he was ever truly favored to begin with.

NY sports writers write for each other. And that's one of many reasons that newspapers continue to lose their importance in our society and their circulation numbers continue to fall.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:26 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Gaborik is the shiny new car in the driveway with a foreclosure sign in front of the house.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Duponttime*

This was one of the worst Brooks articles ever. Trading Staal would be one of the dumbest moves in franchise history. We wouldn't have anybody on defense to match up against Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, ect..... Not to mention, do some HW Larry. Vinny ran Torts out of Tampa. He would not want to come here and Torts wouldn't want him.

Brooks is lazy and has no imagination. I supported him for a while but he needs to retire and let somebody else do it now.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 06:40 PM
gravytrain6t

How come Brooks left out Carter and Richards on the Flyers?

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Pizza

Quote:
That way he'll always have something to write about.

Winning hockey teams are a bore to writers like Brooks. They tend to be tight nit, and will spout endless cliches whenever they see a guy like him walk into the room.

A team thats broken always needs things that can be commented and speculated upon.

Just my take.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:33 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
We might not like the idea, but he's right in that the Ranger talent level in the East doesn't match up with the likes of the Pens, Caps, Canes and Flyers. And Gaborik is the high-risk option the Rangers could possibly make. I don't think it will happen, but the Rangers are going to have a hard time getting a sure thing.

06-07-2009, 07:44 PM
gravytrain6t

The only way we get a star up front is by giving up some combination of Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, dz, Sangs, picks and the other team would have to take one of the big 4.

Old
06-07-2009, 07:52 PM
broadwayblue

Fact is, the Blueshirts don't have a forward who would be selected in the top, what, 100 in a league-wide dispersal draft.

Fact is, he's right. Pretty sad indeed.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
The only way we get a star up front is by giving up some combination of Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, dz, Sangs, picks and the other team would have to take one of the big 4.
Or we can just roll the dice and sign Gaborik (assuming we can clear the cap space, which I think we could by trading Rozy and cutting a few more corners).

Look, we are not escaping our cap problems any time soon. Whether we like it or not, the overpaid tandem of Gomez and Drury are going to forcibly be part of "the core" for at least a couple more years. All this talk of rebuilding at this point in time is impossible.

Sather has put this team in a position where a Gaborik-like risk is almost necessary.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 08:02 PM
beastly115

I agreed with him up until he mentioned trading Staal. What a moron. It's so stupid even Sather probably wouldn't do it.

Trade Dreary or Blowmez, sign Gabby, and we'll be in business.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 08:27 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Love his plan to sign Gaborik but he doesn't really say how the Rangers can get it done under the cap.
Nor does it say why Gaborik would accept a one-year, incentive-laden deal. With his injury history, the first thing he'll want is some security.

The guy is glass. For Christ sake, you'd think guys like Brooks would learn from Lindros (for whom he advocated) and Bure (for whom he also advocated).

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 08:56 PM
gravytrain6t

I mean if anyone thinks Antropov could net us 25 to 30 goals I would settle for him at half the price or less and bring back Zherdev who may be able to do the same thing offensively. He can't click with Gomez I know but who would have thought Dubinsky would be the center that was right for Jagr 2 years ago. Maybe Anisimov and Zherdev can put something together.

Maybe that's just what Antropov needed was a change of scenery. I just like the size and skill that he can bring to the team. But on the flip side i think he's injury prone as well. I mean, that's what someone on the boards here said.

I would love to have Gaborik and his skills. He scored 5 goals against us that one night. I'll never forget what an embarrassment that team should have felt. Not that Gaborik didn't deserve any credit.

But do you guys think Marian would settle for a one year deal? And of course, no doubt about it. His injuries are a concern.

Old
06-07-2009, 09:20 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I agreed with him up until he mentioned trading Staal. What a moron. It's so stupid even Sather probably wouldn't do it.

The thing is if u get Gabby u want him on a line with Gomez.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Gaborik would be a great addition if we signed Antropov and Zherdev being he would/could take the amount of pressure off them and the $$ guys. I dont think he will take a 1 year deal for some reason. He could talk to his buddy Hossa and want to go somewhere with him. There are so many possibilities.

Stay away from Gionta and Cammy being they are small. Not saying they arent bad players; but i do not want to throw the amount of money their looking for at them. I do not think bringing in Cheechoo to play with Gomez would be a smart option.

Enough with these ideas. You wont strike lightning in a bottle trying to lure a player for gomez. We have tried Jagr, Shanny, Zherdev etc..

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:32 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

I understand Staal for Lecavalier. I don't want the two of them (torts and vinny) together. But Staal for Stamkos? The deal would need to include more players but i think it's worth taking a look.

Now Staal fof Colorado's first round pick? Well that might also work to our advantage. If Tampa decides to pick Duchene instead, than that leaves us with either Hedman or one of the following. Magnus P, Jared Cowen, Kane, or Schenn. Besides, i'm not sure Colorado would want to do the deal. I know they have Paul Stastny but i have a feeling (or imo) they want yet another center.

Tears will be flowing soon in the rocky mountains when Sakic calls it a career. I know how much he stayed loyal and meant to not only the state of Colorado but also Quebec. I think he meant as much to that org. as Detroit's Yzerman or our Messier.

Of course it wouldn't be that simple either. More players, prospects, picks...etc would be involved.

Not to mention the fact that (it turned out to be a huge blow that we should have just signed one of Gomez or Drury and Rozsival).

But what's done is done. He signed Redden who is < both Mara or Morris. Again IMO and at this point in their careers. Get rid of Rozsival and bring back at least one of Mara or Morris.

Old
06-07-2009, 09:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I don't think you can let Marc Staal stand in your way to getting a guy like Lecavalier or Heatley if you can. Not for Stamkos and not for the #3 though.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:43 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Trade away Staal and a Gomez or other player that's dragging our roster down and your telling me I'd get a Gaborik in return? I'd do that in a heartbeat, and I don't think anyone could give a rational reason not to do that. That's a type of deal you'd have to make.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2009, 09:52 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
The thing is if u get Gabby u want him on a line with Gomez.
I don't mean to say that definitely wouldn't work. But it seems like the type of players that Gomez needs to succeed are fast skating, get to the net, shorter North American guy's (Gionta, Callahan). You know who I think would have been great for Gomez? Mike Gartner, Geoff Sanderson, or Tony Amonte. Guy's like that.

Sjostrom can fly but he just doesn't have that knack for scoring.

Being i can't remember what Gaborik plays like. If he plays like Pavel Bure it will work. If he's more of a Jaromir Jagr type player, it's not going to work with Gomez.