HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the future for Oscar Moller?

Old
06-08-2009, 12:05 PM
lumbergh

vCash: 500
What's the future for Oscar Moller?

Is he a center or wing? Is he top-six? Will he be in LA or Manchester in the fall?

It seems like few posters have Moller in the top six going forward. But if he's not a top-six forward, will he be playing along side Simmonds and Handzus? Why would HF rank him as the 12th best prospect if that's where he's fated to fall?

What do people think the future is for Moller? If the Kings pick a forward with their early first round pick, Moller could end up further down the depth chart. Maybe then he becomes a trade chip?

I hope the Kings are grooming him as a second-line centerman or winger. I just don't see how that works out.

lumbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He is good, but small and gets tossed around easy. He probably belongs in the top 6, but mostly everyone is on turbo-fantasy mode right before the draft over how we are going to make incredible trades and free agency acquisitions... In the end, Moller may end up on the second line who knows... He has the potential, he just needs to bulk up so he isn't tossed around like a ragdoll anymore.

The main problem is room. We are running out of room to develop prospects on the upper lines. there are only 1.5 (I count the second-line center spot as partly available even though it is likely Stoll's) spaces available in the top 6 and DL has openly stated that he is actively looking for someone this offseason to fill that void via trade or free agency.

So Moller has to essentially pull off a miracle of bulking up and blowing everyone out of the water early and snatching the job from Stoll to be in the top 6. Also, don't forget about Purcell which is challenging for the winger job if we don't find anyone to fill that slot. Then we have the third line with 2 spots locked, but we need a gritty player to fill the 3rd winger spot and that is not Moller. So that pretty much leaves the fourth line...

I picture a lot of these kids being turned into bargaining chips in the future as we keep going. Who knows what Terry Murray is going to pull out of his hat of randomness in regards to line combinations come season opener. That is what makes this offseason so exciting. Too many prospects and too few slots. This training camp is going to be quite a show...

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter

Last edited by Telos: 06-08-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Moller belongs on wing. I don't know how someone could get a different impression after watching him play.

As Moller get's stronger, he'll get pushed off the puck less, but he's still not really suited for center. Oscar is really more of a shooter than a passer, and IMO those types of centers suck. You need your 1st or 2nd line center to control the middle of the ice, free up space on the wing and make plays. That's just not Moller's game.

I like his potential, but just not at center. He could turn into a Holmstrom type or even an Alfredsson. Why? He's got heart and desire, and will do just about anything to win. Those factors, along with his talent mean that he should avg 25-30 goals a season.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:09 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Moller belongs on wing. I don't know how someone could get a different impression after watching him play.

As Moller get's stronger, he'll get pushed off the puck less, but he's still not really suited for center. Oscar is really more of a shooter than a passer, and IMO those types of centers suck. You need your 1st or 2nd line center to control the middle of the ice, free up space on the wing and make plays. That's just not Moller's game.

I like his potential, but just not at center. He could turn into a Holmstrom type or even an Alfredsson. Why? He's got heart and desire, and will do just about anything to win. Those factors, along with his talent mean that he should avg 25-30 goals a season.
Agree.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Matt13

I don't see the holmstrom side of his game due to his size however I think with maturity he be a tougher player and not be tossed around as much.

This being his rookie season you have to expect him to be manhandled a bit. Even Johnson got jacked by bulis and Johnson is much bigger.

I do like him as a wing though.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 01:41 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

He's trade bait.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 03:00 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
He reminds me of a young Martin Straka. Straka was only 5ft 9 and 180lbs so he was a little shorter than Moller. Straka scored 16 points in 42 games in 92-93 with the loaded Penguins, his first NHL season. Moller put up 15 points in 40 games with the not so loaded LA Kings. Both have good speed, shiftiness and despite the lack of size both are willing to go into the corners and muck it up. Straka went on to score 30 goals the following season but his career kind of took a tumble as he went from really bad team to really bad team until re-aligning himself with Jagr and the Co in Pittsburgh again. So I think you can pretty much sum up Moller's career with the LA Kings by what they do this offseason. If that 6th forward isn't signed in the top 6 then Moller seems like the obvious choice. If he's forced down to the 3rd line his numbers will suffer and the Kings would probably trade him as he's not a 3rd or 4th line player. This is the main problem with the build from within theory and building the prospect pool up. At some point you just have to gamble and begin trading these guys cause there is only 6 spots open. Who do you trade? Purcell seems like a bust. Simmonds is very capable of being a force on the 3rd line with fill in top 6 duty if needed. Moller doesn't seem like a 3rd line guy to me but a capable 3rd line of Moller-Stoll-Simmonds certainly looks good on paper offensively.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 03:01 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
He's trade bait.
No??

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
He's trade bait.
That would be stupid given the lack of young quality forwards in the system with the ability to play with the puck.

Even if they acquire a proven scorer, I would hope they don't part with Moller.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:06 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Its kind of too bad Murray would go with a youth/skill 4th line. Moller-Lewis-Purcell would be very cool, and while Purcell would be the weak defensive link, Lewis and Moller are very feisty and gritty. So tiny though, and we all know that 4th line LW spot is reserved for the Rat Boy King.

Since that isn't an option, I either play him with Zus and Simmonds next year (assuming we add to the top 6), or, more ideally I think, let Moller eat up and spit out AHL competition. Seeing as he is a leader-type, I think having him play a large number of games as the top line center or winger in Manchester will help Moller as well as the rest of the forwards down there.

Trade bait? Hell to the no.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
I don't see the holmstrom side of his game due to his size however I think with maturity he be a tougher player and not be tossed around as much.

This being his rookie season you have to expect him to be manhandled a bit. Even Johnson got jacked by bulis and Johnson is much bigger.

I do like him as a wing though.
He's and inch shorter and 20 lbs lighter. It's almost a guarantee that he puts on those 20lbs of muscle if he starts a training regime.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 04:22 PM
socalpuck

IMO A year in manchester would be great for Moller and his development. He needs to get stronger on the puck. He does a good job of creating space but strength is a issue.

socalpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 05:06 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
Definitely a wing, probably on the 2nd line. I like the Alfredsson comp, although not that high-end probably. I hope he's in Manchester in the fall; it'll be better for his development if he's not going to get good minutes here. That's assuming he won't get good minutes here, though, which could certainly be wrong. If we stand pat through the offseason and he beats out Purcell, that 4th wing spot is probably his. But I suspect there will be at least one new face in our top six, pushing Moller into the no-mans-land he ended the season in. If it's that or Manchester, send him to Manchester.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
palffytofrovlov

I think start him in Manchester, develop his game get stronger and mature more. I think in a year he will be a top 6 wing

palffytofrovlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Lanius

He's not a threat to score 5 on 5, that's for sure. He thrives on the PP. Should have played in juniors last year and a full season in Manchester next season.

Lanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
He's and inch shorter and 20 lbs lighter. It's almost a guarantee that he puts on those 20lbs of muscle if he starts a training regime.

if you are talking about the part of the game that made Holmstrom most famous in standing in front of the net on the power play, I still don't see it.

Old
06-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Captain Ron

Hey Matt....The Snarf avatar is awesome!

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
kingsfan28
Its A Kingspiracy !

Quote:
He's trade bait.
I'm probably wrong here, but wasn't he mentioned in a possible trade for Bobby Ryan last season when the Ducks had cap problems. I know Burke really liked him.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
Hey Matt....The Snarf avatar is awesome!

That is the real Bailey.

Old
06-08-2009, 08:56 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
That is the real Bailey.

If only!

Old
06-08-2009, 09:05 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

I'm always really surprised that people think that Moller has higher potential than Simmonds. I think Simmonds is going to be a top 3rd liner in the league in the next few years and a very solid top 6er after that. It'd be a very pleasant surprise for me to see Moller exceed Simmonds, but I'm not 100% sold yet.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:12 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I'm always really surprised that people think that Moller has higher potential than Simmonds. I think Simmonds is going to be a top 3rd liner in the league in the next few years and a very solid top 6er after that. It'd be a very pleasant surprise for me to see Moller exceed Simmonds, but I'm not 100% sold yet.
Not me. I'm not proclaiming this as gospel, but I see 35 goal potential in Simmonds.

Old
06-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Captain Ron

I think that Simmonds and Moller are two different players.

I cannot see Simmonds ever being as good a goal scorer as Moller....I also cannot see Moller being as physical or menacing as Simmonds. They both bring something different to the table......things that will be key to a successful future.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
I always saw comparisons to Krejci with Moller. Remember, Krejci was having issues about being knocked off the puck too easily. Moller is only 19. Unless you are built like a beast, most 19 year olds get knocked off the puck in the NHL. Give him some time. And then there was a shoulder injury also.

One of Moller's best attributes which you don't get to see in the stat sheet and definitely not in your first year in the NHL is the team leader that he is (or will become). His teammates really liked him straight out of training camp, I mean REALLY liked him. That says a lot about a 19 year old.

06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Worst case, Eric Belanger.

Best case, Alfredsson

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote