HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Are We Mirroring Our 94' Team to Win the Cup?

Old
06-09-2009, 12:00 AM
dedalus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
This thread needs more Craig MacTavish

Love MacT. Dude was a one-man wrecking crew in that Islanders series.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:01 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Every responsible GM in the league has older mentors to guide the kids. Are they all "mirroring" the 94 Rangers?

Then it's not a "mirror," eh?

It's comprehensible, I think people just disagree with your take. Sather is trying to build a championship team. Most championship teams have common ingredients: grit; strong veteran leadership; two good puck movers onthe blueline; skill and scoring up front. Trying to get those things for his 2010 team doesn't mean any GM in the league is trying to recreate the 94 NY Rangers.
Aye, so what your basically saying is the 94 Rangers were a model cup team?

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:02 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Aye, so what your basically saying is the 94 Rangers were a model cup team?
No. A typical Cup team.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:08 AM
The Thomas J.*

i'm gonna say NO!

Yes, this team has Talent & the potentiol to have some steady 25-30+ goal scorers in Cally & Dubi, but right now this team reminds me of the 88-91 teams, Drury is coming off as the 2nd coming of Kelly Kissio.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:35 AM
allstar3970

Quote:
I just felt that it was interesting that the young talent on this team loosely resembled the 94 squad.
you keep reiterating that..everybody gets what you were going for....but its a ridiculous premise. Any team can loosely resemble any other team if you describe them correctly.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Edge

Don't see it.

The 94 Rangers were a team that had a ton of talent but lacked direction and has lost their way after being a President's Trophy winning team in 1992.

They had a large core of top notch young players, a future HOF'er with a lot to prove and the depth to at least get some attention.

This year's team just doesn't quite have those elements.

People remember the team that eventually won the cup. I think they forget how much depth was lost to put that team together.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:51 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Don't see it.

The 94 Rangers were a team that had a ton of talent but lacked direction and has lost their way after being a President's Trophy winning team in 1992.

They had a large core of top notch young players, a future HOF'er with a lot to prove and the depth to at least get some attention.

This year's team just doesn't quite have those elements.

People remember the team that eventually won the cup. I think they forget how much depth was lost to put that team together.
I had just turned 4 years old when they won it, so my memory of the years before is non existent. I have memories of the finals and the fans, and an adorable picture of me with Sergei Nemchinov in the background at a home game. Anything else of our cup year I've only watched on VHS or DVDs. I could never understand the team fully because I wasn't alive when it was being built.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:33 AM
n_a_c

My take on the extent of the similarities between the current Rangers and the Rangers of '94:
  • Both teams have a have a bunch of centers, wingers and defensemen.
  • Both teams have a great goalie.
The third bullet on my list would be that both teams had a youngish Russian enigma. But talent wise Zherdev falls well short of Kovalov. And I think Kovalov was the second most important forward on the ice in the playoffs of '94.

Remembering how damn talented the '94 Rangers were reminds me that we currently don't come close to being top notch. We have a long, long way to go to match up to Detroit.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that in my original post I talked about Messier's leadership qualities being present in Dubinsky and Callahan, and nothing more than that.

People are taking this way out of hand.

I'm saying that this team is but a cardboard cut out.

Leech and Zubov were OFD
Sanguinetti and Del Zotto are OFD

Messier is most renowned for his leadership
Sather perhaps is trying to build leadership of that stature in this team by using Drury to mentor players like Dubinsky and Callahan

The only skill comparisons you can make are the Tortorella and Lundqvist ones. And the Tortorella-Keenan comparison is a stretch.

Is what I'm saying that incomprehensible? Or just terribly presented?
Honestly? It's terribly presented in that you are cherry-picking qualities to shoe horn them into your argument.

Leetch and Zubov are Hall of Fame defensemen. Sanguinetti and Del Zotto are minor league defensemen.

Messier was renown for his leaderhip, but he was also an elite scorer.

Truth be told, the only similarity that you threw out might be Keenan and Tortarella.

06-09-2009, 08:12 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Only thing we have is Richter vs. Lundqvist, Tortorella vs. Keenan. The comparisons stop there.

Unless MDZ or Sanguinetti turn into a Leetch/Zubov no way we have the offensive firepower on defense.

I can see someone like Callahan becoming like a Graves. On the right team I could see him being a one season 50 goal wonder and they have somewhat similar styles of play .

Other than that, no one on this team is close to Messier, Zherdev can't hold a candle to how Kovalev played in those playoffs. On top of that, we don't have a big bruising defenseman like Beuke.

Completely different team, completely different era.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Only thing we have is Richter vs. Lundqvist, Tortorella vs. Keenan. The comparisons stop there.
Agreed.

Any Zherdev/Kovalev comparisons are tempered by the fact that Kovalev stepped up BIG-TIME in his first playoff action in 94, while Zherdev played about as poorly as one can play.

The Lundqvist/Richter debate is an interesting one, because I think Lundqvist is better than Richter ever was. However, you ask me who I'd want in nets for a huge game, the answer is Mike Richter.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:30 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
I just felt that it was interesting that the young talent on this team loosely resembled the 94 squad.
Other than the fact they are wearing skates?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:53 AM
rangerjoe

No Leetch and Zubov = no Cup

We don't have an ounce of offensive threat from the blueline like we did with Leetch and Zubov. When you have that, other teams back off. We have no threat...

To compare the current team to that '94 team is absurd. No comparison whatsoever. Heck, Amonte, Weight, and Gartner alone had more offensive talent than 95% of our current lineup.

Enough said...

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
After wanting and longing for the cup for so long, I've begun to venture back to 94'

Examining the team, the build, the players.

Do we have what we had in 94 now?
I actually feel like we are beginning to mirror that team.

We have that fiery Messier-esq leader growing in Dubinsky and Callahan, and we have Chris Drury to guide them.

We are growing our one-two punch OFD Leetch-Zubov combination in Sanguinetti and Del Zotto.

We have our fiery hearted Keenan in Tortorella.

We have our lights out goaltending star in Lundqvist. Who is probably a small step up over Richter.

What are we missing? Our Adam Graves, 50 goal scorer?

Do you think that this is a pattern that Sather has been going for? Is this his master plan? What other comparisons do you see?
With all due respect, I think it's VERY pre-mature to make and draw the comparisons that you did in your post.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
i'm gonna say NO!

Yes, this team has Talent & the potentiol to have some steady 25-30+ goal scorers in Cally & Dubi, but right now this team reminds me of the 88-91 teams, Drury is coming off as the 2nd coming of Kelly Kissio.
Excellent point...even those teams had more offensive talent than the current squad. The only resemblance is the goaltending - Beezer was as dependable and steady as Hank is. Other than that, I'd kill to have a Granato, Sandstrom (even Bernie Nichols after he was exchanged for both of them)!

Granato was the bomb.

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Maybe in one of of those "fun house" types of mirrors where everything is distorted does this club remotely represent 94's team. Other than that, we are lacking what 94 had in every single category. Cept for maybe instigator. Avery is about as close to Esa Tikkannen as you will find. Other than that...Nothing.

No big bruisers on the Blueline like Jeff Beuk, and Jay Wells.
No offensive threats from the Blueline like Brian Leetch and Sergei Zubov
No potential 50 goal scorers like Adam Graves
No players along the left wall with size like Adam Graves
Certainly no leadership like Messier delivered

Joey Kocur = Colton Orr That's about all you have
Nick Kypreos = Aaron Voros Similar
Maybe a slight comparision between Kevin Lowe and Mark Staal.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:29 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
I had just turned 4 years old when they won it, so my memory of the years before is non existent. I have memories of the finals and the fans, and an adorable picture of me with Sergei Nemchinov in the background at a home game. Anything else of our cup year I've only watched on VHS or DVDs. I could never understand the team fully because I wasn't alive when it was being built.
You can't understand the team fully, and you're comparing them to the current Rangers why? Don't preach on something which you know nothing about. Not saying it in a mean way, just as a general thing.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
Personally, how about we give '94 a rest?

Yes, it was a magical season for the fans, but Christ on a bike people, it's fifteen years ago.Let it go already.

Torts and Keenan aren't anything alike...Torts will let you know when he's unhappy with you, Keenan exiled you to the press box, just ask Eddie O.

As for the Dubi/Messier comparison, your age precludes you from having seen Messier in his prime, out of the shadow of Gretzky and Dubi could only hope to become a fraction of the force Messier was both on the ice and in the room.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way Dubinsky plays the game, but the only thing he's got in common with Messier is playing for the Rangers.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:52 AM
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Maybe in one of of those "fun house" types of mirrors where everything is distorted does this club remotely represent 94's team. Other than that, we are lacking what 94 had in every single category. Cept for maybe instigator. Avery is about as close to Esa Tikkannen as you will find. Other than that...Nothing.

Sean Avery as Esa Tikkanen?

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:51 AM
nyrage

Quote:
After wanting and longing for the cup for so long, I've begun to venture back to 94'

Examining the team, the build, the players.

Do we have what we had in 94 now?
I actually feel like we are beginning to mirror that team.

We have that fiery Messier-esq leader growing in Dubinsky and Callahan, and we have Chris Drury to guide them.

We are growing our one-two punch OFD Leetch-Zubov combination in Sanguinetti and Del Zotto.

We have our fiery hearted Keenan in Tortorella.

We have our lights out goaltending star in Lundqvist. Who is probably a small step up over Richter.

What are we missing? Our Adam Graves, 50 goal scorer?

Do you think that this is a pattern that Sather has been going for? Is this his master plan? What other comparisons do you see?

Sather has a plan?

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:17 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post

This was a great post but the final part needs to be fixed a little. I've come to like Colton Orr a lot and arguably he's close to as good a fighter as Kocur but Joey was a much better hockey player. He could knock in 10-12 goals a year and he was dependable defensively--often was out late in games protecting leads and making sure no one took liberties. As well Kypreos was a lot better than Voros. He was a serviceable 4th liner and a better hitter and fighter.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:51 PM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Quote:
As much as I love Henrik and think he's one of the best goalies in the league, he's no Richter.

ThirtyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
As much as I love Henrik and think he's one of the best goalies in the league, he's no Richter.
Thats fine with me, Richter was a great big game goalie, but always overrated by our fans. He kept us in games, which was great, but when Henke is on, he slams the door tight. And doing this without hall of famer Dman infront of him, not to mention the lack of offensive support.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:26 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Lets bring it down a notch....w/ the Dubisnky and Messier Comparison.

W/ the leetch/zubov .....del zotto/saugenetti comparison.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

As far as the Lundqvist and Richter arguement. Lundqvist can easily be better than Richter, but that's not going to happen until he wins a cup with the Rangers. That's how I view it.

Mike Richter won a cup, Henke hasn't yet. That's the bottom line.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote