HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sutter To Step Down As Devils Head Coach (TSN)

Old
06-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Puckz

vCash: 500
Sutter To Step Down As Devils Head Coach (TSN)

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281325

This just broke about 15 minutes ago... Brent Sutter looks like he will announce he is stepping down as HC of the Devils on Tuesday. See what happens I suppose!

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

What a nice little deal it would be for Calgary if they could end up getting Brent Sutter to coach the team. Big positives with his JR team being so close and his brother being the GM. I will be anything but shocked if this goes down.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:50 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Now this is interesting...

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:00 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Fingers crossed. Really hope this means he may be coming here.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:02 AM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Watch Minnesota sign him.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:05 AM
Puckz

Gotta figure it will be Calgary or Red Deer.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Pardy Time

If Brent Sutter is hired as Head Coach, there will be five Sutters in the organization. Darryl (GM), Brent (Head Coach), Brett (Player), Duane (Abbotsford GM), Ron (Scout).

So when are we trading for Brandon and hiring Brian and Rich?

Pardy Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:10 AM
chriss_co

i really hope brent ends up as coach for the flames

i thought he should have been named 2 yrs ago when keenan was hired.. sutter will get the most out of this team and make them a quick offensive team but responsible defensively at the same time

just wondering tho, if he's "leaving" NJ on his own terms, does that leave NJ off the hook for his contract? and if he were to come here, would that mean calgary has to give compensation? NJ could argue tampering on the part of their coach

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
i really hope brent ends up as coach for the flames

i thought he should have been named 2 yrs ago when keenan was hired.. sutter will get the most out of this team and make them a quick offensive team but responsible defensively at the same time

just wondering tho, if he's "leaving" NJ on his own terms, does that leave NJ off the hook for his contract? and if he were to come here, would that mean calgary has to give compensation? NJ could argue tampering on the part of their coach
No compensation will be required. That rule was taken out after the lockout.

You will need Lou Lamoriello's approval to sign Sutter.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
No compensation will be required. That rule was taken out after the lockout.

You will need Lou Lamoriello's approval to sign Sutter.
Even though it's not required can Lou still ask for it?

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Crimson Devil*

I would be greatly surprised if our organization felt outraged by the "defect" and demanded compensation. Of course he probably could ask for compensation, but I doubt it would be much.

Personally, I think it'd make a good story for Sutter to go to Calgary.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:25 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
I would be greatly surprised if our organization felt outraged by the "defect" and demanded compensation. Of course he probably could ask for compensation, but I doubt it would be much.

especially if the reasoning is Brent going back to be near family

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

If Sutter wants to coach the Flames, I'm sure he's man enough to have told Lamoriello, which I believe Lou would release him from his one year obligation.

Now, if it was something being done by him and his brother on the sneak, which I highly doubt, Lou probably makes him sit for the year.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:31 PM
abracanada

From what I understand, permission does not require compensation, but should you be willing to provide compensation, there would be no rule against that either.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 01:58 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:

So you think it's perfectly OK to sign a legally binding contract and then walk away from it when a better opportunity comes along?

Interesting...

If I were Lou I'd certainly be demanding compensation. If the league wouldn't support me I'd be insisting on a trade involving a high draft pick and a player off the Trenton (The Devil's ECHL affiliate) roster.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
From tsn:

Quote:
NHL rules do not permit for compensation so if Lamoriello were to grant permission, he would be doing so knowing he would be freeing Sutter of his contractual obligations in New Jersey.
It's highly unlikely anything significant would be sent to NJ should Brent Sutter become the Flames head coach. At best, you could see the rights to Cammalleri and/or Aucoin traded for future considerations.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
From tsn:

It's highly unlikely anything significant would be sent to NJ should Brent Sutter become the Flames head coach. At best, you could see the rights to Cammalleri and/or Aucoin traded for future considerations.
Offering a high draft pick (Judging by some of his previous trades D. Sutter hates those things anyway so it shouldn't be too much of a loss for him) for a low level prospect would make more sense. Any GM who throws big gobs of nothing (Both players will probably be leaving anyway) at someone losing a contracted employee is out of line.

Old
06-09-2009, 04:08 PM
JorgeRocks!

Good news....fingers crossed....

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

vCash: 50
I have to say, I think this whole situation is kind of funny. I've said this before, it appears as if it is a formality that Brent will be the next coach of the Flames. If it is not this year, it will be next year. In which case Darryl will coach this year. Darryl basically said it in his press conference. He said that in his mind there 3 really good coaches, but would not say who. Then later when he was asked, he said he thinks Brent is a very good coach.

There are just too many ties for this not too happen. Theres the family thing in Darryl, his home is Red Deer, we have a vacant head coaching spot and need a top coach.

I can't see Lou standing in the way of this if that is indeed what Brent wants. And notice this happened close before the draft, which is the timeline the Darryl said he wants a coach in place.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
chriss_co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
So you think it's perfectly OK to sign a legally binding contract and then walk away from it when a better opportunity comes along?

Interesting...

If I were Lou I'd certainly be demanding compensation. If the league wouldn't support me I'd be insisting on a trade involving a high draft pick and a player off the Trenton (The Devil's ECHL affiliate) roster.
its kinda like what heatley just did...

signed a long term contract with the club.. then after 1 yr, wants out

(of course its not as bad as what yashin did but still doesn't reflect well on heatley)

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
its kinda like what heatley just did...

signed a long term contract with the club.. then after 1 yr, wants out

(of course its not as bad as what yashin did but still doesn't reflect well on heatley)
The Senators will be well compensated for the loss of Heatley and that's the main difference. The Devils (And every other team who loses a contract employee) will be sc****d (According to league rules).

Old
06-09-2009, 06:33 PM
It's Iggy Time

I guess we will see what happens cant really think of anyone else, maybe peter laviolette would come and be an assistant.

It's Iggy Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:56 AM
cross16

Re read the quote from TSN. There is no compensation awarded if a coach goes to a different franshice. However, the GM has the ability to say No to any team wishing to speak with the coach. Thats the issue, not compensation.

I personally do not believe Brent wants to coach in the NHL. I don't think he was every really driven to do it. I think he wanted to try it becuase it was the next step but I think he enjoys everything about hte junior game more. I would not be suprised at all if he has coached his late game in the NHL.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I have to say, I think this whole situation is kind of funny. I've said this before, it appears as if it is a formality that Brent will be the next coach of the Flames. If it is not this year, it will be next year. In which case Darryl will coach this year. Darryl basically said it in his press conference. He said that in his mind there 3 really good coaches, but would not say who. Then later when he was asked, he said he thinks Brent is a very good coach.

There are just too many ties for this not too happen. Theres the family thing in Darryl, his home is Red Deer, we have a vacant head coaching spot and need a top coach.

I can't see Lou standing in the way of this if that is indeed what Brent wants. And notice this happened close before the draft, which is the timeline the Darryl said he wants a coach in place.
Totally... it is like watching the announcement of the next coach in slow motion...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:32 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I personally do not believe Brent wants to coach in the NHL.

I think he does, just somewhere that makes it possible for him to be close to his family.

Kind of OT but Dave Tippett was fired from Dallas today, there's another coach I would absolutely love to see behind the Flames bench.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote