HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kyle Calder is probably done as a King...

Old
06-09-2009, 02:01 AM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Kyle Calder is probably done as a King...

Yeah I bet he was great in the lockeroom, and has helped groom the kids who will eventually build the franchise in such

But thank god we do not have to pay someone more than 2 million to do that. I remember Scott Thornton being more effective than Kyle. And he didn't miss nearly as many good chances as Kyle did.

I'm not sure where he will belong - a team desperate for offense/no hope for better like the Wild might get him for a mediocre 50 points, or he might be done in the NHL.

Thanks for your work Kyle, but 2 million was just too much to see you miss so often. With that said, you really never deserved to be a whipping boy around here. You were just put into the unfortuante position of being payed like a 2nd liner and being thrust into the 1st line role with only 3rd line caliber talent.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

A guy who was shipped out from two teams for attitude problems and lack of effort was a good influence on the kids?

Yeah. Right.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:05 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
A guy who was shipped out from two teams for attitude problems and lack of effort was a good influence on the kids?

Yeah. Right.
This I did not know.

But I would venture to say he was better than guys like Demitra or Avery

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:08 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
This I did not know.

But I would venture to say he was better than guys like Demitra or Avery
Or Nagy. Remember when Dean came in and said he was going to bring in guys with character? It took him three years just to get Greene.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 02:11 AM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
What the frick is our first line gonna do without a clueless grinder though!? lace em up Ivanans.

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:11 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
I remember Scott Thornton being more effective than Kyle.
Hardly.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:31 AM
Saevel

King's worst player 08/09 in my opinion (Ivanans and Preissing coming close behind). Good riddance

(EDIT: I guess I forgot about Gauthier and LaBarbera.. but still)

Last edited by Saevel: 06-09-2009 at 05:40 AM.
Saevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 05:35 AM
Tatsdzyuk
wet fish

Terrible hockey player. Thank GOD!

Tatsdzyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Anjae11Eden

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00L View Post
Terrible hockey player. Thank GOD!
Wrong.
Terrible at what exactly?
I would welcome him back to play on the 4th line if he would take a big paycut. Same goes for Armstrong.
I can't believe what a bandwagon people on this board and LGK get on when it comes to disdain for certain players. Gauthier is not NEARLY as bad as he's made out to be either. I would gladly take Gauthier again too.

Anjae11Eden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Saevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjae11Eden View Post
Gauthier is not NEARLY as bad as he's made out to be either. I would gladly take Gauthier again too.
Tons of unnecessary penalties, zero offensive production, awful passer, lousy in pretty much any defensive situation that isn't blocking shots or along the boards.. yeah, he's a real keeper!

And Calder might not be a terrible 4th line player, but why on earth would we want a 2million guy for that role? I'd rather have Boyle on the 4th line and hope for him to develop.. or whatever really.

Saevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Defgarden

I don't think he's terrible, but he's certainly not top 6 talent, and isn't good enough defensively to be part of a shutdown third line. If he'll take a paycut for 4th line role, I'd keep him as well. Actually, maybe I wouldn't.

He's not bad per se, but he's just not that good at any one area.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:12 AM
not tellin*

i'll be glad when he's gone, the biggest thing for me is that i hated his face. </JDM>

not tellin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:12 AM
LombardiTool

Real psychic here huh? Did you just throw a dart at the kings roster and decide you would trash on Calder today? I thought there was some link that actually had news or rumors on this.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Anjae11Eden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saevel View Post
Tons of unnecessary penalties,
He took 30 minor penalties. That's 1 more than Kyle Quincey, 2 more than Doughty and 3 LESS than Matt Greene. If you call getting the opponent back on their heals, punishing them, and making them 2nd guess themselves in the offensive zone "unnecessary" then so be it.

Quote:
zero offensive production, awful passer,
So as a "DEFENSIVE DEFENCEMAN" you are saying he lacks offence??!! Hmmmmm! So you would say offense is a pretty important aspect to a DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN's game?

Quote:
lousy in pretty much any defensive situation that isn't blocking shots or along the boards.. yeah, he's a real keeper!
2nd only to Greene with 182 hits in 65 games (17 games fewer than Greene who had 20 more hits).
3rd out of 9 D-men in Blocked shots.
4th out of 9 D-men in ice-time on the pk.

Oh and by the way...Harrold, Doughty, and Johnson all had a worse +/-

Now I know none of these stats are as important to a DEFENSIVE D-MAN as say offense or passing...but I still think they are worth noting.
Is he the best D-man on our team? No. Is he offensively gifted? No. Could the Kings use what he brings to the table? Hells yes.

Quote:
And Calder might not be a terrible 4th line player, but why on earth would we want a 2million guy for that role? I'd rather have Boyle on the 4th line and hope for him to develop.. or whatever really.
I said "if he would take a big paycut" meaning hopefully less than 2 mill.
But I'll tell you why you'd rather have him on the 4th line than Boyle...Because he brings a much higher "compete level" which is what you look for (more so than offense) from a 4th liner.

Old
06-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
He took 30 minor penalties. That's 1 more than Kyle Quincey, 2 more than Doughty and 3 LESS than Matt Greene. If you call getting the opponent back on their heals, punishing them, and making them 2nd guess themselves in the offensive zone "unnecessary" then so be it.

So as a "DEFENSIVE DEFENCEMAN" you are saying he lacks offence??!! Hmmmmm! So you would say offense is a pretty important aspect to a DEFENSIVE DEFENSEMAN's game?

2nd only to Greene with 182 hits in 65 games (17 games fewer than Greene who had 20 more hits).

Now I know none of these stats are as important to a DEFENSIVE D-MAN as say offense or passing...but I still think they are worth noting.
Is he the best D-man on our team? No. Is he offensively gifted? No. Could the Kings use what he brings to the table? Hells yes.

But I'll tell you why you'd rather have him on the 4th line than Boyle...Because he brings a much higher "compete level" which is what you look for (more so than offense) from a 4th liner.
Forget it, people will never realize that Gauthier is a useful NHL'er.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:41 AM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Forget it, people will never realize that Gauthier is a useful NHL'er.
Is he useful? Yes. Are there 180 better options for your #6 d-man role? Yes.

jimmy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Anjae11Eden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Is he useful? Yes. Are there 180 better options for your #6 d-man role? Yes.
That are available to the Kings? That hit more, intimidate more, block more, kill penalties better and will play for equal or less money? Care to name a few of those 180?

Old
06-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Matt13

I have grown kind of fond of Gauthier although I wasnt high on him in the begining of the season.

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:20 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

without Gauthier, I think we're going to be missing a lot of presence and size. Really, I think the only person close is Teubert in the system that has that physical presence. But at the same time, he did let a lot of people go by him. Wouldnt mind him as a #6 filler if the kids aren't ready to move up yet.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:21 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:

I'm sure if Gauthier played as many games as Greene, he'd have more penalty minutes than him.. Same goes for his +/-.. Your argument doesn't make any sense, you're just throwing out stats and all we're saying is it's time we go in a different directions, meaning no Gauthier, no Calder, no Preissing, no Armstrong, no Journeymen..

"Oh and by the way... Harrold, Doughty and Johnson all had worse +/-".. Well Doughty played 81 games but Gauthier played 65 games.. You can't really make any comparisons between the two.. Gauthier is better off in Manchester or no where near the Kings' organization, please..

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:23 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
without Gauthier, I think we're going to be missing a lot of presence and size. Really, I think the only person close is Teubert in the system that has that physical presence. But at the same time, he did let a lot of people go by him. Wouldnt mind him as a #6 filler if the kids aren't ready to move up yet.
The Kings have been in talks with Anaheim for the rights to Francois Beauchemin.. They want to sign him to a multi-year contract before July 1st, since he is scheduled to become a UFA.. I guess Dean realizes that once we lose Gauthier, we won't have many physical defenseman, other than Greene and Jack Johnson, ya I said it.. Jack Johnson..

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Matt13

Sometimes it seems like people expect every dman to be a Norris trophy candidate.

The lower ranked Dmen on every team get beat, that is why they are the lower ranked.

Gauthier serves a role as a hard hitting Dman that punishes the opponent. Is he the best? Hardly. Is he the worst....not even close.

Old
06-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Gauthier serves a role as a hard hitting Dman that punishes the opponent. Is he the best? Hardly. Is he the worst....not even close.
IMO what Gauthier is the best at is the Marchment factor. Ever time He comes at an opponent that wonder if He is going to end his career.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
The Kings have been in talks with Anaheim for the rights to Francois Beauchemin.. They want to sign him to a multi-year contract before July 1st, since he is scheduled to become a UFA.. I guess Dean realizes that once we lose Gauthier, we won't have many physical defenseman, other than Greene and Jack Johnson, ya I said it.. Jack Johnson..

No way Anaheim lets him go right now with the prospect of losing both Neidermeyer and Pronger.

Old
06-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Anjae11Eden

Quote:
I'm sure if Gauthier played as many games as Greene, he'd have more penalty minutes than him.. Same goes for his +/-..
Don't forget the hits. He'd also be leading the D in hits if you'd like to prorate. Penalty minutes are one thing, but what kind of PIMS are they? Hooking, holding, or aggressive play. Some penalties are better than others. I'm not saying he took all good or bad penalties, just trying to put things in perspective after another poster said he tool "too many unnecessary penalties".

Quote:
Your argument doesn't make any sense, you're just throwing out stats and all we're saying is it's time we go in a different directions, meaning no Gauthier, no Calder, no Preissing, no Armstrong, no Journeymen..
It makes perfect sense. I'm pointing out that he addresses team needs. The difference is, I'm using STATS to support what I'm saying when I point out what he brings to the table, as opposed just making blanket opinion statements. Do you even know what a "journeyman" is? I consider a "journeyman" a guy that has played for a lot of teams. If your definition is the same, are you saying a journeyman can't bring anything to the Kings? A team of young players?

Quote:
"Oh and by the way... Harrold, Doughty and Johnson all had worse +/-".. Well Doughty played 81 games but Gauthier played 65 games.. You can't really make any comparisons between the two.. Gauthier is better off in Manchester or no where near the Kings' organization, please..
When talking about defensive abilities I can't compare +/-?? You go ahead and prorate Gauthiers +/- over 82 games and see if it is worlds apart from Doughty's. I think it is a valid point when someone is talking DEFENSIVE ability and saying he sucks. It's a lot more valid than talking about DG's offense or passing since that's not what he's here for.