HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cujo hurt, Manny the man in the playoffs

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2004, 12:49 PM
  #1
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Cujo hurt, Manny the man in the playoffs

Which wouldn't scare me if the league hadn't seemed to figure out Legace this week.
Go up high on the little man. Over the shoulder.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 12:58 PM
  #2
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
I saw this one coming. Hopefully now that he's no. 1 he'll regain the form he had while Cujo was on IR.

Anyone taking bets that this is Cujo's last year? I think he's cooked because of the ankle.

doublejack is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 01:10 PM
  #3
winged wheel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MI
Country:
Posts: 165
vCash: 500
If Legace does end up the playoff goalie, these next to games agains the Avs will give us an idea if he's up to the challenge. Playing well in and winning these games will go along way towards his confidence. He has to play better than he has the last two games though.

winged wheel is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 01:19 PM
  #4
Howard35
Registered User
 
Howard35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,279
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Go manny.... Lets hope you can take the pressure and make the world believe in you like we all do....

Howard35 is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 02:39 PM
  #5
Higgy4
Registered User
 
Higgy4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,548
vCash: 500
I feel bad for Cujo, I really do. This guy has had a year from Hell.

But I think Manny can do the job. I have 100% faith in him. One rough stretch of games does not bother me. All goalies have them.

Higgy4 is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 04:17 PM
  #6
Heaton
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 17,320
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
You guys do know this is a MAYBE? No one has said Cujo is not starting in the playoffs, all Dave Lewis said was Manny needs to be ready for the playoffs if Cujo can't play.

Heaton is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 04:53 PM
  #7
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
You guys do know this is a MAYBE? No one has said Cujo is not starting in the playoffs, all Dave Lewis said was Manny needs to be ready for the playoffs if Cujo can't play.
Denial. Nobody needs to say it. It's been a year and a half now that Cujo's ankle has bothered him. With two weeks to go before the playoffs start and Joseph hurt yet again it's easy to conjecture that he's not going to be playing come April. The only way I see him in the nets is if Legace either has a total meltdown or gets injured himself. And even in those circumstances I think Lamothe is more likely to get a shot. Really I do, I'm not just saying that.

I also think it's pretty apparent that Cujo is done. His body is failing him. If there is a season next year he may show up at training camp and try to play, but his ankle just isn't going to hold up. He had all last summer to rest it with our early exit from the playoffs and it didn't get better. Surgery didn't help. This whole year it's bothered him and it's not going away. Yzerman skating on one leg was not nearly as effective as a healty Steve but it worked. A goalie on the other hand just can't play with mobility issues like that. Too much lateral movement is required. It just puts too much stress on the ankle.

I honestly hope things work out for Cujo and he makes a miracle recovery like Steve did... but the writing is on the wall.

doublejack is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 05:01 PM
  #8
User Name
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
You guys do know this is a MAYBE? No one has said Cujo is not starting in the playoffs, all Dave Lewis said was Manny needs to be ready for the playoffs if Cujo can't play.
Read this:
http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...5_20040325.htm

Particularly this section:
Quote:
Joseph said his status was day-to-day. Asked if he could be ready for the playoff opener, he tried to be positive. But he didn't sound confident.

"I don't think that's an impossibility," he said. "Sometimes it does matter; sometimes it doesn't. I'm hoping it doesn't matter."

Lewis didn't sound confident, either.

"We've just got to get him healthy," he said. "He can't play if his ankle is not strong enough to play. Before he can play, his ankle has to be more stable."
I think Cujo will probably be back before the playoffs, but the way things have gone, I wouldn't be suprised if he goes down with another ankle injury.

I'm all for Manny though

 
Old
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
  #9
AJW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Moya
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Denial. Nobody needs to say it. It's been a year and a half now that Cujo's ankle has bothered him. With two weeks to go before the playoffs start and Joseph hurt yet again it's easy to conjecture that he's not going to be playing come April. The only way I see him in the nets is if Legace either has a total meltdown or gets injured himself. And even in those circumstances I think Lamothe is more likely to get a shot. Really I do, I'm not just saying that.

I also think it's pretty apparent that Cujo is done. His body is failing him. If there is a season next year he may show up at training camp and try to play, but his ankle just isn't going to hold up. He had all last summer to rest it with our early exit from the playoffs and it didn't get better. Surgery didn't help. This whole year it's bothered him and it's not going away. Yzerman skating on one leg was not nearly as effective as a healty Steve but it worked. A goalie on the other hand just can't play with mobility issues like that. Too much lateral movement is required. It just puts too much stress on the ankle.

I honestly hope things work out for Cujo and he makes a miracle recovery like Steve did... but the writing is on the wall.
It's not like this is the same injury from the offseason that never healed. Cujo was re-injured when he was run into his first game as #1 when Hasek quit. Maybe he tried to come back too early the second time...

I am not happy with Legace as the #1.

For starters, if he gets hurt or stinks, who do the Wings turn to w/Cujo on the shelf? Lamothe? He's a career minor leauger, not a starter for a Championship caliber team.

Legace is the best back-up in the NHL, but IMO he's not a starter for a contender. Hopefully he will prove me wrong, but I don't think so. If the Wings win the Cup this season, it will be similar to 98, when they won with Osgood as their goalie, not because Osgood was their goalie, if you catch my drift...

AJW is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
  #10
Heaton
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 17,320
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Denial. Nobody needs to say it. It's been a year and a half now that Cujo's ankle has bothered him. With two weeks to go before the playoffs start and Joseph hurt yet again it's easy to conjecture that he's not going to be playing come April. The only way I see him in the nets is if Legace either has a total meltdown or gets injured himself. And even in those circumstances I think Lamothe is more likely to get a shot. Really I do, I'm not just saying that.

I also think it's pretty apparent that Cujo is done. His body is failing him. If there is a season next year he may show up at training camp and try to play, but his ankle just isn't going to hold up. He had all last summer to rest it with our early exit from the playoffs and it didn't get better. Surgery didn't help. This whole year it's bothered him and it's not going away. Yzerman skating on one leg was not nearly as effective as a healty Steve but it worked. A goalie on the other hand just can't play with mobility issues like that. Too much lateral movement is required. It just puts too much stress on the ankle.

I honestly hope things work out for Cujo and he makes a miracle recovery like Steve did... but the writing is on the wall.

Why would I be in denial when no one has declared a decision either way yet?

Heaton is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 05:52 PM
  #11
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJW
It's not like this is the same injury from the offseason that never healed. Cujo was re-injured when he was run into his first game as #1 when Hasek quit. Maybe he tried to come back too early the second time...
I hear your concerns about Legace and I'm right with you. The comparison with Osgood I think is right on.

But I have to disagree about Cujo's injury. It may have gotten better to where he could play without much pain, but honestly that hit that reinjured him again wasn't that bad. It was just standard contact you expect every once in a while in hockey. Every other goalie brushes that kind of hit off.

I'm sure cujo's ankle is going to heal and he'll feel good enough to play... but the first time someone rushes the net and makes some contact BAM he'll be hurt again. What if someone does a wrap-around and Cujo has to position his right foot strongly at the base of the post... will it hold up to the abuse? What if a player or players fall on it? It's a weak spot now that makes him prone to injury. Like a catcher with a bad back I just don't see how he can keep playing.

doublejack is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 06:03 PM
  #12
doublejack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Detroit
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
Why would I be in denial when no one has declared a decision either way yet?
You're in denial because it doesn't have to be declared. Even last week when he was playing Cujo was constantly bringing up his ankle in interviews... making references like "if it holds up" when asked if he'd be playing most of the games. Now that he's missing practices and hurt again at this late point in the season... at the point of no return... the team has to make the decision that gives them the best chance to win. Gimpy Cujo, or healthy Manny?

The Wings are going into the playoffs with Legace at the helm, whether Lewis or Holland or anyone publicly says it or not. They just don't have a choice unfortunately.

doublejack is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 07:02 PM
  #13
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,603
vCash: 500
I don't think Detroit is any worse off going into the playoffs with Legace as the starter than they would have been with Cujo. Neither one is decidedly better than the other at this point. It just hurts from a depth standpoint that there's nothing left after Legace should he go cold at some point during the playoffs or get injured.

As for Manny's recent slump, I think it has a lot to do with Cujo returning and throwing him out of rhythm. Along with maybe some low spirits..... it must have been tough to watch Joseph step back in and get those back to back starts when it seemed (was said?) they would be alternating (starts) up until the playoffs...... those starts indicated Cujo was going to be the guy regardless of what Legace had done during his 11 or 12 game stint as starter and no matter how he played down the stretch. I'm not really worried about his struggles lately, Manny can play and still has 6 games to pull things back together before playoffs.

Boomhower is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 03:01 AM
  #14
AJW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Moya
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack

But I have to disagree about Cujo's injury. It may have gotten better to where he could play without much pain, but honestly that hit that reinjured him again wasn't that bad. It was just standard contact you expect every once in a while in hockey. Every other goalie brushes that kind of hit off.

I'm sure cujo's ankle is going to heal and he'll feel good enough to play... but the first time someone rushes the net and makes some contact BAM he'll be hurt again. What if someone does a wrap-around and Cujo has to position his right foot strongly at the base of the post... will it hold up to the abuse? What if a player or players fall on it? It's a weak spot now that makes him prone to injury. Like a catcher with a bad back I just don't see how he can keep playing.
Good point, can't really disagree. I just hope Manny doesn't falter...he played great tonight, I hope he keeps proving me wrong

AJW is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 09:24 PM
  #15
BoatMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Anyone have a direct source for this? Just wondering...

BoatMan is offline  
Old
03-26-2004, 11:31 PM
  #16
User Name
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello!!!goodbye
Anyone have a direct source for this? Just wondering...
http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...5_20040325.htm

He doesn't really say Manny is the man but it's hinted at.

 
Old
03-27-2004, 12:04 AM
  #17
Heaton
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 17,320
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name
http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...5_20040325.htm

He doesn't really say Manny is the man but it's hinted at.
Said Lewis: "If Curtis is injured, Manny is going to be the guy."

Heaton is offline  
Old
03-27-2004, 07:01 AM
  #18
Vyacheslav
That one guy
 
Vyacheslav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dat mitten
Country: United States
Posts: 15,448
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
Said Lewis: "If Curtis is injured, Manny is going to be the guy."
Wow Lewis is giving away a huge secret there. I figured MacDonald would be the man if Joseph was out!

Vyacheslav is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.