HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cujo hurt, Manny the man in the playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 12:49 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

vCash: 500
Cujo hurt, Manny the man in the playoffs

Which wouldn't scare me if the league hadn't seemed to figure out Legace this week.
Go up high on the little man. Over the shoulder.

Old
03-25-2004, 12:58 PM
doublejack

I saw this one coming. Hopefully now that he's no. 1 he'll regain the form he had while Cujo was on IR.

Anyone taking bets that this is Cujo's last year? I think he's cooked because of the ankle.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:10 PM
winged wheel

If Legace does end up the playoff goalie, these next to games agains the Avs will give us an idea if he's up to the challenge. Playing well in and winning these games will go along way towards his confidence. He has to play better than he has the last two games though.

Old
03-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Go manny.... Lets hope you can take the pressure and make the world believe in you like we all do....

Old
03-25-2004, 02:39 PM
Higgy4

I feel bad for Cujo, I really do. This guy has had a year from Hell.

But I think Manny can do the job. I have 100% faith in him. One rough stretch of games does not bother me. All goalies have them.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
You guys do know this is a MAYBE? No one has said Cujo is not starting in the playoffs, all Dave Lewis said was Manny needs to be ready for the playoffs if Cujo can't play.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:53 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
You guys do know this is a MAYBE? No one has said Cujo is not starting in the playoffs, all Dave Lewis said was Manny needs to be ready for the playoffs if Cujo can't play.
Denial. Nobody needs to say it. It's been a year and a half now that Cujo's ankle has bothered him. With two weeks to go before the playoffs start and Joseph hurt yet again it's easy to conjecture that he's not going to be playing come April. The only way I see him in the nets is if Legace either has a total meltdown or gets injured himself. And even in those circumstances I think Lamothe is more likely to get a shot. Really I do, I'm not just saying that.

I also think it's pretty apparent that Cujo is done. His body is failing him. If there is a season next year he may show up at training camp and try to play, but his ankle just isn't going to hold up. He had all last summer to rest it with our early exit from the playoffs and it didn't get better. Surgery didn't help. This whole year it's bothered him and it's not going away. Yzerman skating on one leg was not nearly as effective as a healty Steve but it worked. A goalie on the other hand just can't play with mobility issues like that. Too much lateral movement is required. It just puts too much stress on the ankle.

I honestly hope things work out for Cujo and he makes a miracle recovery like Steve did... but the writing is on the wall.

Old
03-25-2004, 05:01 PM
User Name

vCash:
Quote:
Read this:
http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings...5_20040325.htm

Particularly this section:
Quote:
Joseph said his status was day-to-day. Asked if he could be ready for the playoff opener, he tried to be positive. But he didn't sound confident.

"I don't think that's an impossibility," he said. "Sometimes it does matter; sometimes it doesn't. I'm hoping it doesn't matter."

Lewis didn't sound confident, either.

"We've just got to get him healthy," he said. "He can't play if his ankle is not strong enough to play. Before he can play, his ankle has to be more stable."
I think Cujo will probably be back before the playoffs, but the way things have gone, I wouldn't be suprised if he goes down with another ankle injury.

I'm all for Manny though

Old
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
AJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Denial. Nobody needs to say it. It's been a year and a half now that Cujo's ankle has bothered him. With two weeks to go before the playoffs start and Joseph hurt yet again it's easy to conjecture that he's not going to be playing come April. The only way I see him in the nets is if Legace either has a total meltdown or gets injured himself. And even in those circumstances I think Lamothe is more likely to get a shot. Really I do, I'm not just saying that.

I also think it's pretty apparent that Cujo is done. His body is failing him. If there is a season next year he may show up at training camp and try to play, but his ankle just isn't going to hold up. He had all last summer to rest it with our early exit from the playoffs and it didn't get better. Surgery didn't help. This whole year it's bothered him and it's not going away. Yzerman skating on one leg was not nearly as effective as a healty Steve but it worked. A goalie on the other hand just can't play with mobility issues like that. Too much lateral movement is required. It just puts too much stress on the ankle.

I honestly hope things work out for Cujo and he makes a miracle recovery like Steve did... but the writing is on the wall.
It's not like this is the same injury from the offseason that never healed. Cujo was re-injured when he was run into his first game as #1 when Hasek quit. Maybe he tried to come back too early the second time...

I am not happy with Legace as the #1.

For starters, if he gets hurt or stinks, who do the Wings turn to w/Cujo on the shelf? Lamothe? He's a career minor leauger, not a starter for a Championship caliber team.

Legace is the best back-up in the NHL, but IMO he's not a starter for a contender. Hopefully he will prove me wrong, but I don't think so. If the Wings win the Cup this season, it will be similar to 98, when they won with Osgood as their goalie, not because Osgood was their goalie, if you catch my drift...

Old
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:

Why would I be in denial when no one has declared a decision either way yet?

Old
03-25-2004, 05:52 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJW
It's not like this is the same injury from the offseason that never healed. Cujo was re-injured when he was run into his first game as #1 when Hasek quit. Maybe he tried to come back too early the second time...
I hear your concerns about Legace and I'm right with you. The comparison with Osgood I think is right on.

But I have to disagree about Cujo's injury. It may have gotten better to where he could play without much pain, but honestly that hit that reinjured him again wasn't that bad. It was just standard contact you expect every once in a while in hockey. Every other goalie brushes that kind of hit off.

I'm sure cujo's ankle is going to heal and he'll feel good enough to play... but the first time someone rushes the net and makes some contact BAM he'll be hurt again. What if someone does a wrap-around and Cujo has to position his right foot strongly at the base of the post... will it hold up to the abuse? What if a player or players fall on it? It's a weak spot now that makes him prone to injury. Like a catcher with a bad back I just don't see how he can keep playing.

Old
03-25-2004, 06:03 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Why would I be in denial when no one has declared a decision either way yet?
You're in denial because it doesn't have to be declared. Even last week when he was playing Cujo was constantly bringing up his ankle in interviews... making references like "if it holds up" when asked if he'd be playing most of the games. Now that he's missing practices and hurt again at this late point in the season... at the point of no return... the team has to make the decision that gives them the best chance to win. Gimpy Cujo, or healthy Manny?

The Wings are going into the playoffs with Legace at the helm, whether Lewis or Holland or anyone publicly says it or not. They just don't have a choice unfortunately.

Old
03-25-2004, 07:02 PM
Boomhower

I don't think Detroit is any worse off going into the playoffs with Legace as the starter than they would have been with Cujo. Neither one is decidedly better than the other at this point. It just hurts from a depth standpoint that there's nothing left after Legace should he go cold at some point during the playoffs or get injured.

As for Manny's recent slump, I think it has a lot to do with Cujo returning and throwing him out of rhythm. Along with maybe some low spirits..... it must have been tough to watch Joseph step back in and get those back to back starts when it seemed (was said?) they would be alternating (starts) up until the playoffs...... those starts indicated Cujo was going to be the guy regardless of what Legace had done during his 11 or 12 game stint as starter and no matter how he played down the stretch. I'm not really worried about his struggles lately, Manny can play and still has 6 games to pull things back together before playoffs.

Old
03-26-2004, 03:01 AM
AJW

Quote:

But I have to disagree about Cujo's injury. It may have gotten better to where he could play without much pain, but honestly that hit that reinjured him again wasn't that bad. It was just standard contact you expect every once in a while in hockey. Every other goalie brushes that kind of hit off.

I'm sure cujo's ankle is going to heal and he'll feel good enough to play... but the first time someone rushes the net and makes some contact BAM he'll be hurt again. What if someone does a wrap-around and Cujo has to position his right foot strongly at the base of the post... will it hold up to the abuse? What if a player or players fall on it? It's a weak spot now that makes him prone to injury. Like a catcher with a bad back I just don't see how he can keep playing.
Good point, can't really disagree. I just hope Manny doesn't falter...he played great tonight, I hope he keeps proving me wrong

Old
03-26-2004, 09:24 PM
BoatMan

Anyone have a direct source for this? Just wondering...

Old
03-26-2004, 11:31 PM
User Name

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello!!!goodbye
Anyone have a direct source for this? Just wondering...

He doesn't really say Manny is the man but it's hinted at.

Old
03-27-2004, 12:04 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name

He doesn't really say Manny is the man but it's hinted at.
Said Lewis: "If Curtis is injured, Manny is going to be the guy."

Old
03-27-2004, 07:01 AM
Vyacheslav
That one guy

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Said Lewis: "If Curtis is injured, Manny is going to be the guy."
Wow Lewis is giving away a huge secret there. I figured MacDonald would be the man if Joseph was out!

Closed Thread