HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Four Games for Turco

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 03:02 PM
Rooks Oilers

vCash: 500
Four Games for Turco

www.tsn.ca

Old
03-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Mizral

Is it just me, or is this a little silly?

Yeah he gave it to him, but 4 games?

High sticks go on all the time that aren't suspensionable offenses. I think what some people forget is that Smyth actually high sticked Turco shortly before Turco got him too. Sure Turco had a mask on, but that's still goalie interference.

Silly suspension. A little much.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:06 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
I think its a combination penalty of slashing both Smyth and Balek on consecutive nights. That is not a mistake thats just being an ass.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Dr_Gonz0

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Is it just me, or is this a little silly?

Yeah he gave it to him, but 4 games?

High sticks go on all the time that aren't suspensionable offenses. I think what some people forget is that Smyth actually high sticked Turco shortly before Turco got him too. Sure Turco had a mask on, but that's still goalie interference.

Silly suspension. A little much.
Ok, Smyth did give him a lil slash, but it was not vicious, which is exactly what Turco's retaliation was. I was not expecting him to get that many game,s but a suspension was definately warranted.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Luoma

No its not silly. Surprising however. How often does he does this each game? Sooner or later someone is going to get injured. There is clearing your crease..but when you have the puck in your mit and you still go out of your way so smack someone maybe you need to take a time out.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Oilhitch

Smyth was trying to gain position and hit Turco in the face with his stick yes. However the high stick Turco gave to Smyth was deliberate and deserves a suspension. Although 4 games does seem excessive.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Mizral

Actually, I just remembered - Turco is a repeat offender. Remember that game against Avs earlier in the season?

Old
03-25-2004, 03:09 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Actually, I just remembered - Turco is a repeat offender. Remember that game against Avs earlier in the season?
Didn't he get one last year as well?

Old
03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
capebretonoilers

that means he doesnt play vs the oil next game--dare to dream -- a win in dallas ?!?

Old
03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
I was just going to mention that.

He was also involved in an incident with Calgary on Monday.

He wasn't called for it, but it may have been a consideration since it was two incidents in consecutive games.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:12 PM
Rooks Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Yeah I think he did as well.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Sabes

Good for him, he deserves it.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:20 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Considering his extensive history with this stuff, he got what he deserved. Of course, anything that helps the Oilers is well deserved .

Old
03-25-2004, 03:22 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Sounds pretty fair to me. I mean come on, it's not as if he was trying to bat a loose puck out of the air and accidentally caught him with his stick. It was intentional, and 4 games is appropriate.

On a side note, does anyone know if this includes next wednesday's game vs the Oilers (I don't know how many games they have until then)?

Old
03-25-2004, 03:24 PM
diablo

I'll take it.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Mr Sakich

turco deserved a suspension for his slash on Chris Clarke in Calgary but the Flames refused to send in the tape. They knew that Dallas was playing the oilers and didn't want Turco to miss that game. Class move by a class organization.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:26 PM
capebretonoilers

Yeah --the game vs the oil will be # 3 for them

Old
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
On a side note, does anyone know if this includes next wednesday's game vs the Oilers (I don't know how many games they have until then)?
Yeah, I believe that will count as his 3rd game.

Old
Slats432

Gee, an obvious slash to the face got 4 games. The fact that he is a repeat offender should mean nothing. No one mentions that Smyth only clipped him when trying to deflect a shot and wasn't even looking at him at the time.

Whether it was Turco, Conklin, Brodeur or anyone, a slash to the face is worth at least what he got.

I think this was a reasonable call by Campbell.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:27 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Sounds pretty fair to me. I mean come on, it's not as if he was trying to bat a loose puck out of the air and accidentally caught him with his stick. It was intentional, and 4 games is appropriate.

It does. Dallas schedule:
1. Canucks
2. Sharks
3. Oilers
4. Wild
5. Blackhawks

This improves our chances in Dallas; what scares me though, is our tendency to suck when we play back-up goalies.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:41 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
This improves our chances in Dallas; what scares me though, is our tendency to suck when we play back-up goalies.
It can't be any worse than our tendancy to suck when we face Turco.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:46 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
It can't be any worse than our tendancy to suck when we face Turco.
lol ah, touché.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:58 PM
Marconius

In my opinion, Turco's slashing could easily have been bad as the Bertuzzi incident. People were talking about waiting until the consequences were as severe as Moore's broken neck before the NHL was willing ot talk about a problem. Well what if Turco takes out Smyth's eye, which he easily could of. Turco becomes a player who feels hicksticked/victimimized and wants to even up the score. But instead of doing it man-to-man, he lashes out in a highstick/cheapshot/suckerpunch and goes after Smyth. Not intending to necessarily rake out Smyth's eye, but meaning to send a message all the same, Turco tears up for the cameras in apology as Smyth's career is over.

I don't get why players don't realize that shots to the head should be considered like nuclear bombs in world politics. Most people are capable of them, but everyone knows that as soon as you step things up to that level there are no more winners. No matter how vengeful a player feels, he's got to realize that shots to the head are unacceptable. Theres to little room for error and too much capacity for career ending damage

Old
03-25-2004, 04:02 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
In my opinion, Turco's slashing could easily have been bad as the Bertuzzi incident. People were talking about waiting until the consequences were as severe as Moore's broken neck before the NHL was willing ot talk about a problem. Well what if Turco takes out Smyth's eye, which he easily could of. Turco becomes a player who feels hicksticked/victimimized and wants to even up the score. But instead of doing it man-to-man, he lashes out in a highstick/cheapshot/suckerpunch and goes after Smyth. Not intending to necessarily rake out Smyth's eye, but meaning to send a message all the same, Turco tears up for the cameras in apology as Smyth's career is over.

I don't get why players don't realize that shots to the head should be considered like nuclear bombs in world politics. Most people are capable of them, but everyone knows that as soon as you step things up to that level there are no more winners. No matter how vengeful a player feels, he's got to realize that shots to the head are unacceptable. Theres to little room for error and too much capacity for career ending damage
It could have been as bad... but it wasn't.

The end result is usually what we look at, not what happened.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Marconius

Quote:
It could have been as bad... but it wasn't.

The end result is usually what we look at, not what happened.
but wasn't some of the fallout of the Bertuzzi thing supposed to be "lets not wait until the consequences get this severe before we make changes"
Well this is the exact thing they're supposed to be nipping in the bub. Shots to the head out of retribution should be dealt with harshley.

Closed Thread