HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Four Games for Turco

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2004, 03:02 PM
  #1
Rooks Oilers
Registered User
 
Rooks Oilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Four Games for Turco

www.tsn.ca

Rooks Oilers is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:03 PM
  #2
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,151
vCash: 500
Is it just me, or is this a little silly?

Yeah he gave it to him, but 4 games?

High sticks go on all the time that aren't suspensionable offenses. I think what some people forget is that Smyth actually high sticked Turco shortly before Turco got him too. Sure Turco had a mask on, but that's still goalie interference.

Silly suspension. A little much.

Mizral is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:06 PM
  #3
rabi_sultan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 3,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
I think its a combination penalty of slashing both Smyth and Balek on consecutive nights. That is not a mistake thats just being an ass.

rabi_sultan is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:07 PM
  #4
Dr_Gonz0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,236
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Is it just me, or is this a little silly?

Yeah he gave it to him, but 4 games?

High sticks go on all the time that aren't suspensionable offenses. I think what some people forget is that Smyth actually high sticked Turco shortly before Turco got him too. Sure Turco had a mask on, but that's still goalie interference.

Silly suspension. A little much.
Ok, Smyth did give him a lil slash, but it was not vicious, which is exactly what Turco's retaliation was. I was not expecting him to get that many game,s but a suspension was definately warranted.

Dr_Gonz0 is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:07 PM
  #5
Luoma
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northern Ontario
Posts: 83
vCash: 500
No its not silly. Surprising however. How often does he does this each game? Sooner or later someone is going to get injured. There is clearing your crease..but when you have the puck in your mit and you still go out of your way so smack someone maybe you need to take a time out.

Luoma is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:08 PM
  #6
Oilhitch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 755
vCash: 500
Smyth was trying to gain position and hit Turco in the face with his stick yes. However the high stick Turco gave to Smyth was deliberate and deserves a suspension. Although 4 games does seem excessive.

Oilhitch is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:08 PM
  #7
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,151
vCash: 500
Actually, I just remembered - Turco is a repeat offender. Remember that game against Avs earlier in the season?

Mizral is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:09 PM
  #8
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Actually, I just remembered - Turco is a repeat offender. Remember that game against Avs earlier in the season?
Didn't he get one last year as well?

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
  #9
capebretonoilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: airdrie
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
that means he doesnt play vs the oil next game--dare to dream -- a win in dallas ?!?

capebretonoilers is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
  #10
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Actually, I just remembered - Turco is a repeat offender. Remember that game against Avs earlier in the season?
I was just going to mention that.

He was also involved in an incident with Calgary on Monday.

He wasn't called for it, but it may have been a consideration since it was two incidents in consecutive games.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:12 PM
  #11
Rooks Oilers
Registered User
 
Rooks Oilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Didn't he get one last year as well?
Yeah I think he did as well.

Rooks Oilers is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:16 PM
  #12
Sabes
Registered User
 
Sabes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,233
vCash: 500
Good for him, he deserves it.

Sabes is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:20 PM
  #13
The Rage
Registered User
 
The Rage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Stamford Bridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Didn't he get one last year as well?
Considering his extensive history with this stuff, he got what he deserved. Of course, anything that helps the Oilers is well deserved .

The Rage is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:22 PM
  #14
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,659
vCash: 50
Sounds pretty fair to me. I mean come on, it's not as if he was trying to bat a loose puck out of the air and accidentally caught him with his stick. It was intentional, and 4 games is appropriate.

On a side note, does anyone know if this includes next wednesday's game vs the Oilers (I don't know how many games they have until then)?

misfit is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:24 PM
  #15
diablo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 157
vCash: 500
I'll take it.

diablo is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:24 PM
  #16
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,102
vCash: 500
turco deserved a suspension for his slash on Chris Clarke in Calgary but the Flames refused to send in the tape. They knew that Dallas was playing the oilers and didn't want Turco to miss that game. Class move by a class organization.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:26 PM
  #17
capebretonoilers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: airdrie
Posts: 485
vCash: 500
Yeah --the game vs the oil will be # 3 for them

capebretonoilers is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:26 PM
  #18
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
On a side note, does anyone know if this includes next wednesday's game vs the Oilers (I don't know how many games they have until then)?
Yeah, I believe that will count as his 3rd game.

copperandblue is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:26 PM
  #19
Slats432
Registered User
 
Slats432's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,560
vCash: 500
Gee, an obvious slash to the face got 4 games. The fact that he is a repeat offender should mean nothing. No one mentions that Smyth only clipped him when trying to deflect a shot and wasn't even looking at him at the time.

Whether it was Turco, Conklin, Brodeur or anyone, a slash to the face is worth at least what he got.

I think this was a reasonable call by Campbell.

Slats432 is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:27 PM
  #20
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
Sounds pretty fair to me. I mean come on, it's not as if he was trying to bat a loose puck out of the air and accidentally caught him with his stick. It was intentional, and 4 games is appropriate.

On a side note, does anyone know if this includes next wednesday's game vs the Oilers (I don't know how many games they have until then)?
It does. Dallas schedule:
1. Canucks
2. Sharks
3. Oilers
4. Wild
5. Blackhawks

This improves our chances in Dallas; what scares me though, is our tendency to suck when we play back-up goalies.

H-Bear is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:41 PM
  #21
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,659
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Bear
This improves our chances in Dallas; what scares me though, is our tendency to suck when we play back-up goalies.
It can't be any worse than our tendancy to suck when we face Turco.

misfit is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:46 PM
  #22
H-Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Bay ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit
It can't be any worse than our tendancy to suck when we face Turco.
lol ah, touché.

H-Bear is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 03:58 PM
  #23
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
In my opinion, Turco's slashing could easily have been bad as the Bertuzzi incident. People were talking about waiting until the consequences were as severe as Moore's broken neck before the NHL was willing ot talk about a problem. Well what if Turco takes out Smyth's eye, which he easily could of. Turco becomes a player who feels hicksticked/victimimized and wants to even up the score. But instead of doing it man-to-man, he lashes out in a highstick/cheapshot/suckerpunch and goes after Smyth. Not intending to necessarily rake out Smyth's eye, but meaning to send a message all the same, Turco tears up for the cameras in apology as Smyth's career is over.

I don't get why players don't realize that shots to the head should be considered like nuclear bombs in world politics. Most people are capable of them, but everyone knows that as soon as you step things up to that level there are no more winners. No matter how vengeful a player feels, he's got to realize that shots to the head are unacceptable. Theres to little room for error and too much capacity for career ending damage

Marconius is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 04:02 PM
  #24
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
In my opinion, Turco's slashing could easily have been bad as the Bertuzzi incident. People were talking about waiting until the consequences were as severe as Moore's broken neck before the NHL was willing ot talk about a problem. Well what if Turco takes out Smyth's eye, which he easily could of. Turco becomes a player who feels hicksticked/victimimized and wants to even up the score. But instead of doing it man-to-man, he lashes out in a highstick/cheapshot/suckerpunch and goes after Smyth. Not intending to necessarily rake out Smyth's eye, but meaning to send a message all the same, Turco tears up for the cameras in apology as Smyth's career is over.

I don't get why players don't realize that shots to the head should be considered like nuclear bombs in world politics. Most people are capable of them, but everyone knows that as soon as you step things up to that level there are no more winners. No matter how vengeful a player feels, he's got to realize that shots to the head are unacceptable. Theres to little room for error and too much capacity for career ending damage
It could have been as bad... but it wasn't.

The end result is usually what we look at, not what happened.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
03-25-2004, 04:05 PM
  #25
Marconius
Registered User
 
Marconius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
It could have been as bad... but it wasn't.

The end result is usually what we look at, not what happened.
but wasn't some of the fallout of the Bertuzzi thing supposed to be "lets not wait until the consequences get this severe before we make changes"
Well this is the exact thing they're supposed to be nipping in the bub. Shots to the head out of retribution should be dealt with harshley.

Marconius is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.