HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Four Games for Turco

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
StarsPensFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
but wasn't some of the fallout of the Bertuzzi thing supposed to be "lets not wait until the consequences get this severe before we make changes"
Well this is the exact thing they're supposed to be nipping in the bub. Shots to the head out of retribution should be dealt with harshley.
You should probably not wish for every stick to the head to be penalized as harshly as the Bert incident -- because you'd scream bloody murder if an Oil player were in the same situation and dealt with like that. And if you can't see a difference between a cheap shot taken at a player who's not involved in the play and is skating away, and what Turco did, then you don't watch much hockey.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:21 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Well this is the exact thing they're supposed to be nipping in the bub. Shots to the head out of retribution should be dealt with harshley.
Absolutely. If we take the Messier 2 game suspension as a guiding example, the correct replacement retribution appears to be a spear to the jock.

Marriage ending, maybe, but not career ending.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:24 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
but wasn't some of the fallout of the Bertuzzi thing supposed to be "lets not wait until the consequences get this severe before we make changes"
Then every high stick should be suspendable, including every single one by the Oilers.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:29 PM
Doug Who?

Every intentional high stick should be suspendable, yes.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Matts

Well

I really don't jump on suspension talk or refereeing but I thought Turco's act was totally vicious. I mean he looked Smyth in the face and then he slashed him in the mouth.

And it most likely will be the act that costs the Stars whatever chance they had to grab the division from the Sharks.

And the Oilers will be playing the second half of BTB when they face Dal next Wed but that game just got a whole lot easier with Tugnutt in net.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:39 PM
RaoulDuke

Four games seems excessive to me, but apparently since he's a repeat offender Campbell though it was warranted. The fact that Turco has a history of taking cheap shots probably didn't hurt much either.

Either way, he's out for the game in Dallas, which is great. No complaints here.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:40 PM
Matts

Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke
Four games seems excessive to me, but apparently since he's a repeat offender Campbell though it was warranted. The fact that Turco has a history of taking cheap shots probably didn't hurt much either.

Either way, he's out for the game in Dallas, which is great. No complaints here.
I would also hope that last night's officials got a stern lecture for letting him stay in the damn game.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:42 PM
StarsPensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDuke

Sorry, you're still going to lose!!! :p

Old
03-25-2004, 03:50 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsPensFan
You should probably not wish for every stick to the head to be penalized as harshly as the Bert incident -- because you'd scream bloody murder if an Oil player were in the same situation and dealt with like that. And if you can't see a difference between a cheap shot taken at a player who's not involved in the play and is skating away, and what Turco did, then you don't watch much hockey.
I think you're reading more into what Marconius said, than is there.

What Turco did was a deliberate cheapshot to the head, with his stick.
Any player who takes a cheapshot to the head (even an Oiler) deserves a harsh punishment, especially if a stick is used.

I personally think that a deliberate stick to the head demands a 5 minute/match penalty,
followed by a minimum 5 game suspension, for a first time offence.
I would also like to see them slapped with a hefty fine. (not allowed in the current cba)
A little harsh?
Maybe.
But, players must be held accountable for their actions.
Hit them hard in the wallet and they'll adjust their actions accordingly.

Old
03-25-2004, 03:55 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
I would also hope that last night's officials got a stern lecture for letting him stay in the damn game.

Yeah that was real disappointing.

I actually thought that Turco would get off scott free, so I am happy to see the suspension but in my opinion the damage was two fold.

The first was obviously the damage to Smyth's mug.

The second was that the Oilers still had to face him when he should have been sitting in the dressing room.

The act deserved a misconduct. Should that misconduct get applied the dynamics of the whole game changes.

Considering what's on the line for each team, it felt almost like the Oilers paid the price in order to reward someone else.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:13 PM
StarsPensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
I think you're reading more into what Marconius said, than is there.

What Turco did was a deliberate cheapshot to the head, with his stick.
Any player who takes a cheapshot to the head (even an Oiler) deserves a harsh punishment, especially if a stick is used.

I personally think that a deliberate stick to the head demands a 5 minute/match penalty,
followed by a minimum 5 game suspension, for a first time offence.
I would also like to see them slapped with a hefty fine. (not allowed in the current cba)
A little harsh?
Maybe.
But, players must be held accountable for their actions.
Hit them hard in the wallet and they'll adjust their actions accordingly.
I agree with you, and Turco was absolutely wrong to do what he did. But I can see how these suspensions could potentially start getting out of hand.

BTW Billy G. was sticked in the face a few games ago...lost 3 teeth and had to have 2 root canals...no penalty called, no suspension. Barnes was similarly hit and bled all over the ice during the SJ game...again, no call, no suspension.

Don't think the Stars don't get their share of bad and non-calls...

Old
03-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Joanie

Yes...

This will include next Wednesday's game VS the OILERS.

Come on boys...get even the only way it counts, on the score board.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:20 PM
StarsPensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty
This will include next Wednesday's game VS the OILERS.

Come on boys...get even the only way it counts, on the score board.
That would certainly be a first for the Oil...

Old
03-25-2004, 04:40 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
I agree with you, and Turco was absolutely wrong to do what he did. But I can see how these suspensions could potentially start getting out of hand.

BTW Billy G. was sticked in the face a few games ago...lost 3 teeth and had to have 2 root canals...no penalty called, no suspension. Barnes was similarly hit and bled all over the ice during the SJ game...again, no call, no suspension.

Now you're reading more into what I am saying, then what is there.

It's the cheapshots that are "out of hand".
More severe suspensions might reduce the number and severity of cheapshots.

As far as "bad and non-calls" go...
Proof (in my mind) that the league is currently incapable of effectively policing the game we all love.
Don't know if you saw Smytty's face during (after) the game.
He has fresh stitches over his right eye from a highstick he took in LA.
No call.
This happens to every team.

Old
03-25-2004, 04:57 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Exactly. If they saw it and penalized it it should have been 5 and a game. I know Dawgbone is going to disagree with me on this next point but I am telling you that Campbell knows he blew it by not penalizing Moores for his hit on Naslund and that is why this rash of heavy suspensions for shots to the head.

Old
03-25-2004, 05:01 PM
oilers24

he got exactly what he deserved he actually should have got a 5 minute major last night good for turco and a good job by colin campbell, he says it was an accident okay marty good line, lets get real here, directly on purpose. got what he deserved. especially when it was 2 night in a row

Old
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
Mr Sakich

Quote:

this is pure crap. Hockey is a fast game where things happen. Every player in the league has stitches. What Turco did was completely outside the bounds of normal behavior. He intentionally slashed Smyth in the face with his stick. No accident, pure premeditation.

The difference is intent. Lots of guys get hit in the face, very rarely is it on purpose.

Old
03-25-2004, 05:28 PM
StarsPensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
this is pure crap. Hockey is a fast game where things happen. Every player in the league has stitches. What Turco did was completely outside the bounds of normal behavior. He intentionally slashed Smyth in the face with his stick. No accident, pure premeditation.

The difference is intent. Lots of guys get hit in the face, very rarely is it on purpose.
Sorry, I forgot only OILER players get legitimate calls...how silly of me.

I find Oiler fans taking the high road on this one quite amusing. Didn't one of your boys (I believe Larque) literally KNEE Robidas in the head as he was on the ice, during the playoffs last year? Oh I forgot, you were all outraged...whatever.

Every team has gotten the short end of the stick (pardon the pun), at one time or another. When its your turn I hope you are similarly indignant...

Old
03-25-2004, 05:44 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:

I find Oiler fans taking the high road on this one quite amusing. Didn't one of your boys (I believe Larque) literally KNEE Robidas in the head as he was on the ice, during the playoffs last year? Oh I forgot, you were all outraged...whatever.

Every team has gotten the short end of the stick (pardon the pun), at one time or another. When its your turn I hope you are similarly indignant...
You are rather new here, so maybe you don't understand that we have 'rules of conduct'.

Kindly, read the FAQ.

"2.
f) Posting (aka trolling) for the specific purpose of inflaming other users will result in loss of posting priviledges."

Old
03-25-2004, 06:07 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
You are rather new here, so maybe you don't understand that we have 'rules of conduct'.

Kindly, read the FAQ.

"2.
f) Posting (aka trolling) for the specific purpose of inflaming other users will result in loss of posting priviledges."
Eep I forgot about that rule.. I'll have to remember to stay off of the Nashville/St Louis boards!

Old
03-25-2004, 06:19 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Eep I forgot about that rule.. I'll have to remember to stay off of the Nashville/St Louis boards!
Tsk, tsk, tsk.
Where is that :waving index finger: icon, when you need it.

Old
03-25-2004, 06:27 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:

i think that was Cross and you should have read the posts here, people weren't happy about the cheapshots.

Its simple cheapshots dont belong in any sports and players of that sport should be held accountable for all their actions, i mean if people in the workplace have to be accountable then why should sportspersons not? especially when we are talking the potential of a career ending manouevre.

So really it doesnt matter if its Oilers, Stars, Penguins, whoever cheapshots need to be stamped out, I as an Oilers fan wasn't proud of that kneeing that Cross did, totally unneccesary in last year's playoffs.

Old
03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
Dangerdanger

No that was definitely Laraque, I remember that much. Robidas did something right before though, I can't recall what it was exaxtly, but it was pretty cheap too.

Old
03-25-2004, 07:16 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky
No that was definitely Laraque, I remember that much. Robidas did something right before though, I can't recall what it was exaxtly, but it was pretty cheap too.
If memory serves, he did the same thing to Smytty.
Except he landed on his upper back, neck, head while he was down in the corner.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:01 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Exactly. If they saw it and penalized it it should have been 5 and a game. I know Dawgbone is going to disagree with me on this next point but I am telling you that Campbell knows he blew it by not penalizing Moores for his hit on Naslund and that is why this rash of heavy suspensions for shots to the head.
None of these have even been similar to the moore hit though.

They have been high sticks or punches, not body checks.

Closed Thread