HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Four Games for Turco

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 08:39 PM
gretzky2kurri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsPensFan
BTW Billy G. was sticked in the face a few games ago...lost 3 teeth and had to have 2 root canals...no penalty called, no suspension. Barnes was similarly hit and bled all over the ice during the SJ game...again, no call, no suspension.
Did these incidents to Guerin and Barnes happen after the whistle when the play was dead?

I think 4 games is fair. And if the cut was anywhere around the eyes I would expect at least 8.

To intentionaly slash someone in the face after the whistle? Yeah the poor Stars get their share of bad calls against them. But I would say the Stars were pretty "lucky" not to be killing off a 5 minute major with Tugger on the blue ice for the rest of the night.

Let's say Moreau skates up to Modano after the whistle and slashes him in the face. I'm pretty sure most Dallas fans would expect Moreau to get the hallway to the room.

Just saying it goes both ways......

Last edited by gretzky2kurri: 03-25-2004 at 08:42 PM.
Old
03-25-2004, 10:27 PM
StarsPensFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Did these incidents to Guerin and Barnes happen after the whistle when the play was dead?

I think 4 games is fair. And if the cut was anywhere around the eyes I would expect at least 8.

To intentionaly slash someone in the face after the whistle? Yeah the poor Stars get their share of bad calls against them. But I would say the Stars were pretty "lucky" not to be killing off a 5 minute major with Tugger on the blue ice for the rest of the night.

Let's say Moreau skates up to Modano after the whistle and slashes him in the face. I'm pretty sure most Dallas fans would expect Moreau to get the hallway to the room.

Just saying it goes both ways......
Um, Smyth skated up to Turco, not the other way around!

I'm not saying what he did was right. And he deserved a suspension, no question. I never said that wasn't the correct action by the league. But these Oil fans calling pretty much for Turco to get booted out of the league just smacks of sheer sour grapes.

Old
03-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon
If memory serves, he did the same thing to Smytty.
Except he landed on his upper back, neck, head while he was down in the corner.
Yup, Robidas invented the move and then got at taste of his own medicine. They showed both plays back to back on hnic and the Robidas knee was from a previous game in the series.

4 games for Turco is fine. By now it's fairly obvious that nhl suspensions are purely random, there's no way of figuring them you just have to suck it up and move on.

The really sad part is that so many of them are necessary in the first place.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:38 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsPensFan
.... But these Oil fans calling pretty much for Turco to get booted out of the league just smacks of sheer sour grapes.
Where do you come up with this stuff?
Certainly not on this board.
Not on the main board either.
Maybe you're hearing these "Oil fans" in your head.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:26 PM
Oilers Hockey

I'll never understand the blatant homerism that seems to be concentrated only around Stars fans...

Picture it...Modano whacks Conks in the face, ACCIDENTALLY, then Conks looks at Modano after the whistle stops and hits Modano's face with his blocker.

I would have been pretty angry!.........with Ty!

Turco's slash was deliberate, intentional, and probably pre-meditated.

In fact I was surprised he got 4 games, because I expected two - but glad nonetheless. Turco's a loose cannon and needs to be taught a lesson...too bad Smyth will be booed on the 31st because of pure ignorance.

Old
03-27-2004, 03:03 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
pure ignorance.
Speaking of pure ignorance, I've seen probably a dozen Stars fans bring up Georges' knee drop on Robidas and I've yet to see even one Stars fan say that they saw Robidas do it to Ryan before that.

Is their media just showing half of the story or what? It's not possible for every single Stars fan on the net to be so biased that they think their own player should get away with it while our player should be crucified for it.

Old
03-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Exactly. If they saw it and penalized it it should have been 5 and a game. I know Dawgbone is going to disagree with me on this next point but I am telling you that Campbell knows he blew it by not penalizing Moores for his hit on Naslund and that is why this rash of heavy suspensions for shots to the head.
Blew what on Moore's hit? It was a blatantly clean hit. Yes Naslund got hurt, yes he was in a vulnerable position, but based on the rules of the NHL it was clean. If you disagree with that type of hit than suggest they implement rules to ammend current rules, but to suspend someone for a clean play is completely assinine. Should Stevens or Doig been suspended for KO'ing Lindros when he was in a vulnerable position? No. Hockey is a contact sport, Naslund had his head down, stretching for the puck, and deserved to get hammered. Is Moore supposed to avoid Naslund because of who he is? No, that is his role, to muck things up. These string of suspensions has nothing to do with Colin Campbell's "mistake". Belak, Shelley, Turco, Messier, Oliwa, Sutter, and Simon all absolutely obvious calls. They were not chincy plays that he decided to lay down the hammer on - they were clear cut suspendable acts.

Old
03-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Speaking of pure ignorance, I've seen probably a dozen Stars fans bring up Georges' knee drop on Robidas and I've yet to see even one Stars fan say that they saw Robidas do it to Ryan before that.

Is their media just showing half of the story or what? It's not possible for every single Stars fan on the net to be so biased that they think their own player should get away with it while our player should be crucified for it.
It is the homer bias, and every city does it. Edmonton is bad for it too. Stars fans can see and think what they want - Edmonton media is equally guilty of showing one side of the story. No need to get worked up about that IMO.

Closed Thread