HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official - Canucks Agree in Principle on Deal with Sergei Shirokov

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2009, 12:15 PM
  #276
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I think Krutov ate his translator on the flight over.


Vlad the Inhaler strikes again!

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 12:19 PM
  #277
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
I think Krutov ate his translator on the flight over.
More Canucks propaganda.

Once the case went to arbitration the Canucks were unable to prove their case.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 12:27 PM
  #278
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
More Canucks propaganda.

Once the case went to arbitration the Canucks were unable to prove their case.
Did they take a stool sample?

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 12:34 PM
  #279
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck
 
Mr. Canucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kitimat, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
More Canucks propaganda.

Once the case went to arbitration the Canucks were unable to prove their case.
I don't at all mean to challenge, but that's not entirely what I remember(granted I've only read about it in a few brief news clippings and the Riddle of the Russian Rocket), but I thought Krutov showed up to camp out of shape and the Canucks decided to withold his salary because of a breach of contract. And again, my understanding was that the arbitration hearing was not due to Krutov trying to prove that he was in shape, but that the Canucks could not withhold his salary for that reason and the judge agreed with Krutov's team, forcing the Canucks to pay him about $800,000 or so?

This is all off my memory, so I could easily be wrong.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 02:41 PM
  #280
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
There will be plenty of local Russians who can help him out.
My dentist is Russian.


Where would Sergei have been drafted in 06 if he wasn't Russian? Were teams avoiding Russian players at the time?

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 02:45 PM
  #281
Bullet Tooth Tony
Registered User
 
Bullet Tooth Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
My dentist is Russian.


Where would Sergei have been drafted in 06 if he wasn't Russian? Were teams avoiding Russian players at the time?
Were? They still are!

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 02:52 PM
  #282
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post

Where would Sergei have been drafted in 06 if he wasn't Russian? Were teams avoiding Russian players at the time?
Probably in the 3rd round. However, he had been passed over in the draft before due to him being Russian.

Hedberg is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 02:53 PM
  #283
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
Shirokov was 20 when he was drafted and it's pretty rare for a guy who passed through the draft twice to be taken (relatively) early, even if he wasn't a Russian.

pitseleh is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 05:13 PM
  #284
towel_power88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burnaby BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Shirokov was 20 when he was drafted and it's pretty rare for a guy who passed through the draft twice to be taken (relatively) early, even if he wasn't a Russian.
another good example of that would be canadian Justin Azevedo as a 20 year old put up 124 points in 67 games with the Kitchener Rangers and was drafted in the 6th round that summer.

towel_power88 is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 05:23 PM
  #285
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 56,110
vCash: 0
Hopefully he will replace Krill K as the the draft nuck fans talk about

jumptheshark is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 05:38 PM
  #286
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by towel_power88 View Post
another good example of that would be canadian Justin Azevedo as a 20 year old put up 124 points in 67 games with the Kitchener Rangers and was drafted in the 6th round that summer.
Overagers always score a ton of points in juniour.

God is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 05:47 PM
  #287
CrosbyCrosby*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,216
vCash: 500
Azevedo has had a good AHL season

CrosbyCrosby* is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 06:25 PM
  #288
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I don't at all mean to challenge, but that's not entirely what I remember(granted I've only read about it in a few brief news clippings and the Riddle of the Russian Rocket), but I thought Krutov showed up to camp out of shape and the Canucks decided to withold his salary because of a breach of contract. And again, my understanding was that the arbitration hearing was not due to Krutov trying to prove that he was in shape, but that the Canucks could not withhold his salary for that reason and the judge agreed with Krutov's team, forcing the Canucks to pay him about $800,000 or so?

This is all off my memory, so I could easily be wrong.

~Canucklehead~
That was the story the Canucks were peddling and much like the Bure saga it had very little truth.

The easiest one to dispel was the story about how he showed up at training camp out of shape. The problem with that story is that Krutov was never at training camp as his visa processing took until training camp had finished. He was never tested by the Canucks and as the Canucks had to admit that at the arbitration, his weight was identical to what he played at during his Red Army and Soviet National team days. That fact came out during the arbitration over the transfer fees.

After his first season the Canucks withheld not only his salary but also the transfer fees due the Russian hockey authorities. He was told not to come back to training camp for the second year thus there was no testing upon which the Canucks could rely for their claims he was out of shape. However that did not stop the Canucks going full bore in the media about how Krutov had failed his fitness testing. It was an outright lie. No surprise given the Canucks (and Quinn's) past history of playing fast and loose with the truth.

A much different picture emerged during the arbitration proceedings when Quinn was forced to admit that Krutov was at the exact same playing weight that he had played at during his Central Red Army days and that contrary to claims the Canucks planted in the his physical testing numbers were not abysmal as claimed. The problem with that claim was that Krutov's joined the team after training camp broke and he was not in fact tested. He was cut before training camp the following year so there was absolutely no test results upon which to base the claim.

Krutov's arrival was delayed because a visa officer in Moscow put his application in the wrong processing queue (maybe he was Leafs fan?). By the time he had arrived the Canucks had already broken training camp in Parksville.
Quote:
Because an official at the Canadian Embassy in Moscow has put the star Soviet left winger on the list for a permanent visa instead of a temporary one, [Vladimir Krutov]'s arrival could be delayed by five days, said Canucks president and general manager Pat Quinn in Parksville yesterday.
Krutov's arrival delayed; [1* Edition] JIM JAMIESON. The Province. Vancouver, B.C.: Sep 13, 1989. pg. 43

It also did not help that Krutov had to leave the team early in the season and go back to Moscow when the processing for visas for his wife and two sons was screwed up.
Quote:
In the best case scenario, according to [Brian Burke], [Vladimir Krutov] would fly to Moscow and return immediately with his family.

"This thing is aggravating but it is not a crisis," said Burke. "We think it will be resolved and we don't anticipate any problems at all. We're concerned because it is affecting Vladimir's concentration and his ability to perform."
...
Igor Larionov, who has become a sort of unofficial spokesman for Krutov, said his comrade is "very nervous" about the situation.

"First they tell him Oct. 5, then they tell him Oct. 12, then they tell him Oct. 20," said Larionov. "He will have to go back to Moscow and miss some games."

Canuck president Pat Quinn, in a speech at the Pan Pacific Hotel Thursday, described Krutov as being "a very distraught" young man.

"It's very disconcerting to him," Quinn told a group of Vancouver management consultants. "We think that because the Soviets are often expressionless, that they are emotionless but they are not. They're the same as you and I.

"Here's a man that has lived without his family for all but a month a year (while training with the Red Army team). Now he has the opportunity to live with them and go home and spend some time with them . . .

"But with this being withheld from him, he's a very distraught young man."
Krutov facing snag in plans to bring family from Moscow; [3* Edition] ELLIOTT PAP. The Vancouver Sun. Vancouver, B.C.: Oct 13, 1989. pg. C.8

BTW the Canucks also withheld Larionov's transfer fees and were also considering dumping Larionov after his first season in terms of minutes played Krutov had outscored Larionov and were pretty close on a PPG basis.

Larionov:
74GP 17G 27A 44Pts 20PIM -5 (.59 ppg)

Krutov:
61GP 11G 23A 34Pts 20PIM -5 (.55 ppg)

The top scoring forward in a Canucks' uni that year was Linden - 51 points in 73 games. (.70 ppg)

You need to quit believing the PR the Canucks were putting out. Krutov and Larionov both had serious problems with Bob McCammon, a coach who loathed Russian players.

The Canucks finally decided to bring Larionov back but refused to pay the transfer fees. Larionov's fees were only paid up just before the Krutov arbitration in a vain attempt to salvage a crumbling case. Quinn was forced to admit this under cross-examination.

This portion of Quinn’s testimony under cross-examination by counsel for the Russian hockey authorities is priceless and it was published in the Vancouver Province on February 26, 1992 under the headline QUINN: 'WE MESSED UP HERE' - THE KRUTOV RULING: THE TRANSCRIPTS
Quote:
Edited transcripts of Vancouver attorney Randy Wittchen, representing the Soviets, cross-examining Pat Quinn on circumstances of club missing agreed-upon transfer payments to Soviets for Igor Larionov.

Wittchen: Are you aware that there were problems with the November (1991) payment with Larionov?

Quinn: No.

Wittchen: Were you aware of a newspaper article that appeared in Vancouver Province December 31?

Quinn: Now that you mention it, Burke did make it known to me. And apparently Faminoff, through a local reporter, indicated that there was a problem with the payment.

Wittchen (introducing Province story as evidence): This is a report from Mr.(Tony) Gallagher of The Province dated December 31, 1991 . . . Are you aware that one of your officials of your organization on January 1, 1992 gave an interview to another reporter (Vancouver Sun reporter Elliott Pap) that in fact this was untrue, all payments were up to date on Larionov?

Quinn: It was our assumption that we were on time; I don't do the accounting, I don't stay on top of each cheque that goes out.

Wittchen: This direction to your bank, I notice your name appears here but not your signature. Can you identify the signatures that are on here?

Quinn: One is (director of finance) Carlos Mascarenhas and the other is (Brian) Burke (who was representing the Canucks as counsel at the hearing).

Wittchen: In fact on Dec. 31, 1991 the Vancouver Canucks were in arrears is that correct?

Quinn: Yes.

Wittchen: I will suggest to you that the only reason this payment was made is because it was very embarrassing at this hearing.

Quinn: I disagree with that. We have messed up on payment in June (1990) and we messed up here . . . the fact that you have suggested we weren't going to be paying our debt is offensive.

Wittchen: This is for the amount of $206,250. What does that represent?

Quinn: A lot of money.

Wittchen: . . . Do you know what schedule of payments that represents?

Quinn: I assume the final ones according to the schedule.

Wittchen: If you look at the transfer fee agreement there are certain scheduled fees, and the schedule of fees are July 10, 1991, Nov. 10, 1991, Jan. 10, 1992 and March 10, 1992.

Quinn: November was missed. What does Gallagher or Faminoff say?

Wittchen: The information that we had is that two payments, the July (1990) and November payments, have been missed, were late, hadn't been made on time. But interestingly enough this (the Canucks' fee transfer) seems to be for more than is due and owing. . . . Does that not suggest that this was a pre-payment of the March 1992 payment?

Quinn: It appears likely.

Wittchen: I will suggest to you that the only reason these payments were made was in response to that newspaper article and to rehabilitate what had gone on with Larionov whom you admitted has played fine. You haven't had a problem . . . The first four (payments) were made in a timely fashion, is that correct?

Quinn: To my knowledge, yes. I was made aware of this story by Gallagher, I believe I was in Los Angeles at the time it came out.

Wittchen: Did not an official of your organization on January 1, 1992 state to reporter Elliott Pap of the Vancouver Sun that everything was up to date and it (the Gallagher story) was untrue? Were you aware of that?

Quinn: No . . . Since I have been on the road as a coach, I very seldom get to see a lot of these sorts of things and any responses that are made in the papers in Vancouver often are missed . . .
Quinn was President and GM and Krutov and Larionov at the time were the most expensive players under contract to the Canucks and they were in fact the only two player contracts that Quinn had ever negotiated according to his own evidence.

Do you not find it incredible he did not know precisely what was going on regarding the missed transfer fees? The Arbitrator certainly did... and hammered the Canucks for all the owed transfer fees as well as all the costs of the hearing totalling about $1.3 million.

In those days the Canucks controlled a good piece of the media and most reporters simply fell into line rather than challenge the Canucks and lose out on the free food buffet and free beer. As Stan Persky of the Vancouver Sun (not usually a sportswriter) would observe after seeing this pre-game media ritual:
Quote:
In the process, I discovered an odd journalistic ritual. Upon arrival, we press hacks were treated to a warm meal (it was lasagna that night), all the free Molson's beer we could drink and a chance to gossip with my favorite hockey legend, the late-and-great Babe Pratt. Naturally, I had a swell time. So did Gasher, since his Province colleague, Tony Gallagher, was doing the main coverage that night.

It dimly occurred to me that all that free food, free booze and free male bonding might make it difficult to remain an objective sports journalist reporting to fans on a year-in, year-out hockey travesty. Wouldn't there be a temptation, I mused, for a supposedly independent sportswriter to turn into an unofficial public relations flack for the team?
The Canucks (Burkie was fronted by PR guy Ringdahl in this circus) tried to get Tony Gallagher fired before he was re-hired as the principal hockey columnist for the Province and banned another reporter Mike Beamish of the Vancouver Sun from the team dressing room and team bus for "negative reporting".

What really sent Burkie and Quinn over the edge later was Gallagher printing actual excerpts from the hearing transcript of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation et al. arbitration hearing in Sweden over the Krutov transfer fees that cost the Canucks US$1.5 million plus. Burke was shown to have zero litigation skills after dismissing the Canucks' very competent lawyers and taking over himself.

And Quinn's testimony was hilarious as he tried unsuccessfully to squirm out from the legal obligations while feigning total lack of knowledge of basic legal principles despite his law degree. When Quinn had to admit he had his law degree it left the Arbitrator kind of scratching his head. Quinn's "explanation" of why Larionov's transfer fee was also not paid until days before the Krutov hearing was particularly amusing.

Dumb and Dumber had nothing on Burke and Quinn (both having somehow passed law school) trying to act like lawyers - it was very poor act.

Legendary hockey writer, Jim Taylor had great time poking fun at the Canucks over "L'affaire Gallagher". The Province ran the letter from the Canucks on the front page and as well as Editor in Chief Brian Butters' witty response to the Canucks ham-handed approach to media relations:
Quote:
You may have noticed on the front sports page that the Vancouver Canucks do not like Tony Gallagher.

The mere suggestion that he might be coming back on the hockey beat has kicked VP Glen Ringdal's bile glands into overdrive.

Why . . . why . . . Canuck management is upset with Tony. Pat Quinn and Brian Burke have no intention of speaking to him.

Should The Province choose to hire him, he will be issued appropriate media credentials (You bet your butt he would. Can you spell Charter of Rights and Freedoms?), but "he will not be accorded the access to club personnel generally given other reporters."

Gosh!

There is more. The complete letter from Ringdal, the club's vice- president, to editor-in-chief Brian Butters is there on the first page. I'd retype it here, but I can't stop laughing.
..........
The Canucks feel that Gallagher has been guilty of "scurrilous editorial attacks." They don't like his reporting style. I suspect they'd prefer hard-hitting stuff like:

"The Vancouver Canucks lost 8-0 last night, but if it hadn't been for those first seven goals it would have been 1-0 and with a chance to pull the goalie in the final minute they might well have gotten a tie."

Maybe not. Maybe they truly feel Tony G. has done them wrong. What I don't understand is how they could be silly enough to bleat to The Province about it.

Tony G. needs no letter of reference from Ringdal or Quinn or Burke. When it comes to hockey performance in this town, he can stand on his record a hell of a lot more steadily than they on theirs. The irony of it is, in writing this letter to Butters, they couldn't have given him better support.

Dumb, gentlemen. Really dumb.
And the Vancouver Sun's Stan Persky had this to say:
Quote:
A few years after becoming a turncoat fan, I got Province sportswriter Mike Gasher to take me to the Pacific Coliseum to see a game from the press box (hockey, unlike American football, is one of those games that doesn't televise well). I was thinking of writing a book called Red Line, Blue Line, Bottom Line to explain how a perennially losing team could make money, while failing companies in other industries were forced to declare bankruptcy.

(The secret, by the way, is asset value. Although Canucks' annual reports may show negligible profits or losses, the value of the franchise has ballooned from an initial $6 million to some $60 million two decades later.)

In the process, I discovered an odd journalistic ritual. Upon arrival, we press hacks were treated to a warm meal (it was lasagna that night), all the free Molson's beer we could drink and a chance to gossip with my favorite hockey legend, the late-and-great Babe Pratt. Naturally, I had a swell time. So did Gasher, since his Province colleague, Tony Gallagher, was doing the main coverage that night.

It dimly occurred to me that all that free food, free booze and free male bonding might make it difficult to remain an objective sports journalist reporting to fans on a year-in, year-out hockey travesty. Wouldn't there be a temptation, I mused, for a supposedly independent sportswriter to turn into an unofficial public relations flack for the team?


Last month, we found out that's the way the Vancouver Canucks' management wants it. The team's vice-president for PR, Glen Ringdal, learned that reporter Gallagher, after a stint in radio, had reapplied for his old job as a Province hockey writer. Ringdal laced up his skates and slapped a letter in the direction of Province editor-in-chief Brian Butters saying: "It is only fair to remind you of our strong negative feelings toward Tony Gallagher and his reporting style.

"Should the Province choose to hire Tony," Ringdal went on, "he will not be accorded the access to club personnel generally given other reporters." Added Ringdal: "I am not implying any threats here." Ho ho ho.

When I later asked Gasher (currently a part-time Province copy editor) about the Ringdal letter, he reminded me: "Hockey players are noted for using intimidation tactics." So, apparently, is hockey management. "It was clearly intimidation," said Gasher.

Nor was it the first time the Canucks reacted negatively to critical coverage. Subsequent pieces on Ringdal's bit of high-sticking by Globe sports columnist Al Strachan and the Province's Jim Taylor both noted that Vancouver Sun hockey reporter Mike Beamish had been bounced from the team bus last year by literary critics in the Canucks' front office.

Province editor-in-chief Butters also figured that he was being run into the boards. "What you are saying," Butters wrote back to Ringdal, "is that only the Vancouver Canucks can decide who covers the team and how it should be covered . . . . Your letter amounts to nothing less than blackmail."

I'm sure it wasn't the first time that a mash note from a corporation arrived at a newspaper. What made this epistolary exchange unusual was that editor Butters decided to make sure it didn't remain mere locker room gossip. He splashed both his and Ringdal's letters on the front page of the Province sports section on Aug. 7.

Ringdal whined in a subsequent letter that Butters had betrayed his confidence by publishing what was meant to be a "'private" communication. Butters published that one, too, tartly reminding the Canucks executive that the letter was "news" and the issue was a free press. Then he rehired Gallagher.

Every scribe and sports fan I talked to in this town offered to testify that Tony Gallagher is a straight shooter. Of course, given the Canucks' miserable 20 years on the ice, even if Gallagher weren't on the up-and-up, how could anybody tell? I mean, is it even theoretically possible to write unfair criticism of the Vancouver Canucks?
The Canucks also had Dan Russell moved off SportsTalk on CKNW for his perceived negativity - of course the problem was that the Canucks were just plain awful.

So the direction to sportswriters was play ball and print what the Canucks wanted to get out to the public or suffer the wrath of Quinn/Burkie/McPhee.

You have to treat anything being written in those days very carefully because most of the reporters were just re-packaging what the Canucks wanted to get out. As the PR saying goes the Canucks wanted to keep everything "on message" and the message was despite 15 consecutive losing seasons the Canucks were really not that bad.

Basic rule with Quinn and Burke is to check out the facts and ignore the bluff, bluster and blarney being peddled for public consumption.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 06:29 PM
  #289
digger18
Registered User
 
digger18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Williams Lake B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post


The Canucks also had Dan Russell moved off SportsTalk on CKNW for his perceived negativity - of course the problem was that the Canucks were just plain awful.

So the direction to sportswriters was play ball and print what the Canucks wanted to get out to the public or suffer the wrath of Quinn/Burkie/McPhee.

You have to treat anything being written in those days very carefully because most of the reporters were just re-packaging what the Canucks wanted to get out. As the PR saying goes the Canucks wanted to keep everything "on message" and the message was despite 15 consecutive losing seasons the Canucks were really not that bad.

Basic rule with Quinn and Burke is to check out the facts and ignore the bluff, bluster and blarney being peddled for public consumption.
Hence the reason why the Team 1040 act like a bunch of Pom-Pom waiving Canucks cheerleaders. Dan Russel payed the price, for doing nothing more than having an honest opinon.

Waiting for 15-20 straight posts to follow of how much of an Idiot Dan Russel is..........

digger18 is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 06:57 PM
  #290
hlrsr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,394
vCash: 500
I'll start it off.

Dan Russell is such an idiot.

hlrsr is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 08:09 PM
  #291
God
Free Citizen
 
God's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,773
vCash: 500
Dan Russell is stupider than your mom.

God is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 09:23 PM
  #292
Dr. Nucksfan
Registered User
 
Dr. Nucksfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
I have no doubt that Quinn is a pretty good coach. What always surprised me was his oversized ego -- thinking that he could serve the team in any capacity: president, GM, coach, you name it.

It was his incompetence as an executive that ultimately and deservedly got him fired.

Dr. Nucksfan is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 10:37 PM
  #293
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Shirokov was 20 when he was drafted and it's pretty rare for a guy who passed through the draft twice to be taken (relatively) early, even if he wasn't a Russian.
Shirokov was projected to be a 3rd round or 4th round selection in 2004 by Russian Prospects. He was passed over twice largely because he was Russian (and due to his size)

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...?player_id=297

Hedberg is offline  
Old
06-13-2009, 11:49 PM
  #294
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Hence the reason why the Team 1040 act like a bunch of Pom-Pom waiving Canucks cheerleaders. Dan Russel payed the price, for doing nothing more than having an honest opinon.

Waiting for 15-20 straight posts to follow of how much of an Idiot Dan Russel is..........
Please don't hold up Dan Russel as an example of journalistic integrity.

Dan Russel was a pom-pom waving fan boy up until he was passed over for the Canucks play-by-play position. He immediately became the nasty, bitter old git with an agenda that he is to this day.

LeftCoast is offline  
Old
06-14-2009, 12:58 AM
  #295
Bullet Tooth Tony
Registered User
 
Bullet Tooth Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nucksfan View Post
I have no doubt that Quinn is a pretty good coach. What always surprised me was his oversized ego -- thinking that he could serve the team in any capacity: president, GM, coach, you name it.

It was his incompetence as an executive that ultimately and deservedly got him fired.
To his credit, sometimes his "throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" philosophy worked wonders. He usually *somehow* found a way to assemble a pretty good team as a manager but he certainly left something to be desired in a lot of management areas.

BTW, very interesting read Wetcoaster... I haven't been a Canuck fan long enough to know much about the "dark ages"...

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline  
Old
06-14-2009, 12:58 AM
  #296
dhabums*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Please don't hold up Dan Russel as an example of journalistic integrity.

Dan Russel was a pom-pom waving fan boy up until he was passed over for the Canucks play-by-play position. He immediately became the nasty, bitter old git with an agenda that he is to this day.
It's really too bad, because he has the perfect face for radio.

dhabums* is offline  
Old
06-14-2009, 01:00 AM
  #297
Bullet Tooth Tony
Registered User
 
Bullet Tooth Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Shirokov was projected to be a 3rd round or 4th round selection in 2004 by Russian Prospects. He was passed over twice largely because he was Russian (and due to his size)

http://www.russianprospects.com/publ...?player_id=297
Russian Prospects always has struck me as a valuable resource for their in depth scouting reports but a very very biased resource in terms of their rankings.

Bullet Tooth Tony is offline  
Old
06-14-2009, 02:20 AM
  #298
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Hence the reason why the Team 1040 act like a bunch of Pom-Pom waiving Canucks cheerleaders. Dan Russel payed the price, for doing nothing more than having an honest opinon.

Waiting for 15-20 straight posts to follow of how much of an Idiot Dan Russel is..........
Dan Russel doesn't have an honest opinion. He has a consistently pessimistic, bitter, unwavering and often completely unfounded opinion of the team. It doesn't reflect critical analysis; it represents a simplistic approach that's simply the polar opposite of pom pom waiving. The fact he's gotten worse since losing the rights just shows how unbalanced his opinions are.

FruityPants3* is offline  
Old
06-16-2009, 01:34 PM
  #299
lindgren
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,116
vCash: 500
I don't know how reliable this guy is, but, for what it's worth, he's saying the Russians are trying to block the Shirokov sighing:

Rumours from Russia: The Fight for Shirokov

by James Mirtle on Jun 15, 2009 12:16 PM

A few tidbits from the KHL side of things from the weekend:

1. Russian winger Sergei Shirokov is the talk of Canucks circles these days after he signed a two-year two-way contract with Vancouver for a salary of about 875,000 a season last week. Drafted by the Canucks in the sixth round in 2006, Shirokov has impressed at the world juniors and other international events, and currently plays for CSKA Moscow, where he had 41 points this past season.

The tricky part is the fact that Shirokov's rights still belong to CSKA, and the team has initiated legal proceedings over the NHL deal he's signed. It's hard to say how this one turns out at this point.

lindgren is offline  
Old
06-16-2009, 01:46 PM
  #300
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,044
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren View Post
I don't know how reliable this guy is, but, for what it's worth, he's saying the Russians are trying to block the Shirokov sighing:

Rumours from Russia: The Fight for Shirokov

by James Mirtle on Jun 15, 2009 12:16 PM

A few tidbits from the KHL side of things from the weekend:

1. Russian winger Sergei Shirokov is the talk of Canucks circles these days after he signed a two-year two-way contract with Vancouver for a salary of about 875,000 a season last week. Drafted by the Canucks in the sixth round in 2006, Shirokov has impressed at the world juniors and other international events, and currently plays for CSKA Moscow, where he had 41 points this past season.

The tricky part is the fact that Shirokov's rights still belong to CSKA, and the team has initiated legal proceedings over the NHL deal he's signed. It's hard to say how this one turns out at this point.
I don't think it's that hard. Shirokov's contract with CSKA is up. He doesn't have any contractual obligation to them, UNLIKE Alexander Radulov who broke his contract with the Predators to go to the KHL. The NHL doesn't have to recognize the KHL's rules on "restricted free agency" or any crap like that. If an NHL player can break his contract to go play over there, then a KHL player can break whatever "restricted free agency" rules the KHL may have in place, and play over here.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.