HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

More Gratuitous Rumours (Where Will Heatley Go?)

Old
06-10-2009, 12:14 PM
GoFlames

vCash: 500
More Gratuitous Rumours (Where Will Heatley Go?)

About Heatley etc... and the Flames are one alleged possibility

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...224/story.html

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Pacem

I hope we don't get him.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Puckz

Ehhhh...

Sounds more like it's just the writer throwing out a bunch of top names from the Western Conference in situations that he would like to see. Doesn't sound like Calgary has had talks about it (or any other team for that matter) but who knows. Not much to get excited about, I really hope we don't end up moving Phaneuf or Regehr though. I thought the general consensus on this board was that we needed to sacrifice offensive ability to build up the defence a little more.

Also, the writer seems a bit out to lunch, from the Canucks he says Mason Raymond and Mattias Ohlund? For Dany Heatley? Huh? Ohlund is a UFA, think Ottawa is going to trade Heatley away for Raymond and the expiring rights to a 30-something year old defenceman? Doubtful...

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:16 PM
GoFlames

Yeah I had the same reaction.... I do not see it. That would require Ottawa taking back a lot of Salary...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Puckz

Honestly, I don't like to say it much but I think Edmonton is a great fit for a Heatley trade... Edmonton has enough young assets that they are probably the best suited trade partner for Ottawa. They are a Western Conference team so Ottawa wouldn't have to worry about facing Heatley six times a year. It also makes the most sense assuming that the Sens would be willing to send Heatley closer to his home (not that this is confirmed). Then again Ottawa could always send him somewhere else like a Los Angeles or Columbus just to be rid of him, wait and see.

Old
06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
cljbice

tsn reports heatley will wave ntc to play in edmonton

cljbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:36 PM
debil

Danny is great player, however, he would be another sniper besides Iginla, Jokinen, Cammalleri, and we need playmaking centre.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
bananaz

i would rather see us use that money to grab jay bo. our offense is fine, it`s our defense that needs some tuneups

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_j View Post
i would rather see us use that money to grab jay bo. our offense is fine, it`s our defense that needs some tuneups
I agree!

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:06 PM
debil

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_j View Post
Were lacking system not depth in defense.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:28 PM
bananaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
that is very true as well. the defense didnt play with any cohesive system and it did hurt us in the long run.

that said, i would still rather see the flames try to sign a top 2-4 dman than sign another star forward.

Old
06-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Pardy Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cljbice View Post
tsn reports heatley will wave ntc to play in edmonton
Link?

Pardy Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Puckz

This is what I could find...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281356

"Sources tell TSN the Edmonton Oilers is one team Heatley would consider waiving his no-trade clause to play for. "

Old
06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
JorgeRocks!

We need d more than offence...8th in the league in goals scored last year, an ugly 23rd in goals allowed though....If getting Heatley means we can not get JayBo then no way do we go after him...but if we can afford him and that....I think it is not outside the realm of possibility.....Losing Aucoin and Cammy's salary off the books leaves room for Heatley, and moving Langkow and Vandermeer and we can probably save the room necessary...big what ifs though....

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Flamesfan13

joker for heatley?

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
We need d more than offence...8th in the league in goals scored last year, an ugly 23rd in goals allowed though....If getting Heatley means we can not get JayBo then no way do we go after him...but if we can afford him and that....I think it is not outside the realm of possibility.....Losing Aucoin and Cammy's salary off the books leaves room for Heatley, and moving Langkow and Vandermeer and we can probably save the room necessary...big what ifs though....
No offence, but I don't see Heatley and Bouwmeester on the same team this year unless we are moving Iginla, Phaneuf, or Kiprusoff (which I don't believe we are). One thing to remember is that while yes, Aucoin and Cammalleri come off the books, Jokinen goes on at the full $5.25m (not pro-rated). As for trading Langkow and Vandermeer, sure it's possible but that still won't be enough room.

Heatley is at $7.25m cap hit I believe? Bouwmeester I'm sure will be at least $6m.

Lose Cammy at $3.35, and Aucoin at 4... Langkow at 4.5, and Vandermeer at 2.3m. $14,150,000 total in cap off the books.

Well Heatley at 7.25 and Bouw at 6 is 13.25 right there and then factor in Jokinen's deal at 5.25m not to mention the other players salaries we would need to pick up to fill in the other roster spots makes this very unlikely.

It was argued how difficult it would be to fit Bouwmeester here without trading another big contract, very little chance that we can do that and get Heatley I would think.

Old
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Puckz

Guess I should correct myself, was just running numbers and it would be possible but we would have to cut some salary somewhere...

If we did a trade like Jokinen, Boyd and a pick for Heatley.
Could sign Bouwmeester in FA to a deal with a cap hit of 6.
Trade Vandermeer and another guy like Primeau to cut costs, it could be done.

Obviously trading Langkow would be another possibility, but it's all just hypothetical.

Sorry for not running the numbers better, regardless I still think it's a longshot to have Iginla, Heatley, Regehr, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester and Kiprusoff in Flame jerseys come training camp, but man would that be sweet!

Old
06-10-2009, 05:48 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post
Guess I should correct myself, was just running numbers and it would be possible but we would have to cut some salary somewhere...

If we did a trade like Jokinen, Boyd and a pick for Heatley.
Could sign Bouwmeester in FA to a deal with a cap hit of 6.
Trade Vandermeer and another guy like Primeau to cut costs, it could be done.

Obviously trading Langkow would be another possibility, but it's all just hypothetical.

Sorry for not running the numbers better, regardless I still think it's a longshot to have Iginla, Heatley, Regehr, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester and Kiprusoff in Flame jerseys come training camp, but man would that be sweet!
Would be very tight, and would require prospects ready to step into the season soon in coming years, but a Top 4 of Phaneuf, Regehr, JayBo and Sarich would be right up there for the league's best. And my o my what an offence we would have....Hopefully someone can step in and spell Kipper to! (Might be a bit too dreamy to get Brent Sutter, Johnny Oduya and Scott Clemenson to, but we can hope!)

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 06:14 PM
bananaz

jokinen will not be traded for heatley. the sens are already overloaded at centre, they dont need another one.

lets face reality, heatley is not coming to calgary no matter how the media or fans want to spin it

Old
06-10-2009, 06:59 PM
chriss_co

ive never been a real danny heatley fan

sure the guy scores goals and puts up the points.. but he lacks the intangibles imo... this whole 'trade me' charade is a perfect example of his character and someone i wouldnt want to be part of the flames

the flames have an identity of heart, grit and determination.. and heatley does not fit in

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:11 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

I would personally love to see Heatley, but its not a realistic possibility. Ive been thinking though what are the odds of us signing Cammalleri.I read on the site he would prefer term over money, and he loved playing here. Would you be willing to give him an 8 year 36 million dollar contract.

Breakdown:

Only a 4.5 million dollar cap hit and he would be in his mid 30's by the end of it. But 4.5 for a 35-40 goal scorer over the next 8 years seems like a good deal to me. What do you guys think.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:21 PM
DoubleJ96

As much as I love Heatley I don't like trading him for Phaneuf (That's the rumor I've been hearing). We need to strengthen our D more than anything else in my opinion and I know Dion had an off year but he is sure to improve next year. I mean, he has to right?

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by debil View Post
I agree and disagree. We are definitely lacking a coherent system, but there is (or was) a lack of individual skill on the backend. By that I mean foot speed, hockey sense, breakout passes, etc.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I agree and disagree. We are definitely lacking a coherent system, but there is (or was) a lack of individual skill on the backend. By that I mean foot speed, hockey sense, breakout passes, etc.
which is exactly why Phaneuf should not be moved in part of any deal

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
quinter

we can all make the wild proposals but heatley will not be a flame unless ottawa bends over and takes some of calgary's big contracts and very few propects

quinter is offline   Reply With Quote