HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

More Gratuitous Rumours (Where Will Heatley Go?)

Old
06-11-2009, 12:07 AM
flamesfan12

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I do like Heatley, but I just don't think any deal would be worth it. I really don't think Phaneuf is going anywhere despite all the rumours. Sutter wants our team defence to improve so why would he trade a young d-man like Phaneuf for a star forward who isn't great defensively. Just really don't see a fit at all.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:49 AM
GoFlames

Totally.... I would be shocked to see Phaneuf traded. Heatley's contract is pretty expensive as well. I would rather have Jay Bo than Heatley. Plus as another poster stated the idea that Heatley signed a big extension then one year in started to whine and throw his toys out of the cradle does not say much for his character. Compare him with Iginla who rotted on a terrible team for years but sucked it up and made things better rather than whine.

Last edited by GoFlames: 06-11-2009 at 02:21 AM.
GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Northern Neighbour

I agree that Heatley won't be coming to Calgary and that Phaneuf won't be dealt. The Flames cannot have another $7.5M forward, as they have a lot of money tied up upfront in Iginla, Jokinen, and Langkow.

Bouwmeester isn't even needed. This club should focus on 2nd-tier defensemen who will make between $2M and $3.5M, such as Greg Zanon or François Beauchemin. Both would improve the team's defensive corps.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I agree that Heatley won't be coming to Calgary and that Phaneuf won't be dealt. The Flames cannot have another $7.5M forward, as they have a lot of money tied up upfront in Iginla, Jokinen, and Langkow.

Bouwmeester isn't even needed. This club should focus on 2nd-tier defensemen who will make between $2M and $3.5M, such as Greg Zanon or François Beauchemin. Both would improve the team's defensive corps.
I think Ohlund is the best option to be honest... he will cost a little more but he is very good in every aspect of the game and is used to the brutal NW travel schedule... obviously is cap space weren't an issue J.Bo would be #1 on my list... but I think I would have Ohlund slotted in at #2... I also think he is the ideal partner for Dion... he is very similar to Hamrlik but better in his own end

another great option IMO is Tomas Kaberle via trade... it would cost to get hi mbut with his reduced cap hit its worth it

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Northern Neighbour

Ohlund would be a great acquisition, but he'll be expensive (in the $5M range) and I doubt that he would want to sign with a NW Division rival. I could see Ohlund going east to a team like New Jersey, Ottawa, or Buffalo.

Kaberle would be a great addition as well, but the cost in terms of a trade would be too costly for Calgary. Most likely, the Flames would have to give up Backlund, but he's the team's lone blue-chip prospect.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Flames 1st pick

There is no Heatley trade scenarios that would work for both the Flames and the Sens.

That's the problem when you are almost max out on the cap with other holes to fill.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Pacem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I think Ohlund is the best option to be honest... he will cost a little more but he is very good in every aspect of the game and is used to the brutal NW travel schedule... obviously is cap space weren't an issue J.Bo would be #1 on my list... but I think I would have Ohlund slotted in at #2... I also think he is the ideal partner for Dion... he is very similar to Hamrlik but better in his own end

another great option IMO is Tomas Kaberle via trade... it would cost to get hi mbut with his reduced cap hit its worth it

I know i've already said it in another thread, but I watched Ohlund alot this year, and even tho I hate the Canucks he has always been a guy I don't hate on that team. He lost a big step this past year. The 4m-5m it's likely going to take to get him isn't worth it. I hate the idea of trying to use Free Agency to get a defenseman. It costs too damn much. GM's go crazy paying for D-men. The trade route is prolly the best way to get a top 4 guy.

Kaberle on the other hand I would love to get. I think as a starting point it would cost our 1st and Wahl/Neimsz + to get him. Burke of course would prolly ask for Backlund, and I hope thats when Sutter hangs up the phone hehe. Unfortunately it appears Burke is trying to use him in a package with their pick to move up in the draft.

I'd also like Calgary to kick the tires on Burns and see if he's even available. He's not happy after last year, new management has come in maybe he still wants out maybe he doesn't. Giving up Backlund + would be worth it for Burns as he's a good young d-man on a good contract to boot.

Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:56 PM
bananaz

imo, kaberle would actually be a better partner for dion than jaybo. downside is that the flames would have to give up quite a bit (1st + good prospect) to get him

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Puckz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacem View Post
I know i've already said it in another thread, but I watched Ohlund alot this year, and even tho I hate the Canucks he has always been a guy I don't hate on that team. He lost a big step this past year. The 4m-5m it's likely going to take to get him isn't worth it. I hate the idea of trying to use Free Agency to get a defenseman. It costs too damn much. GM's go crazy paying for D-men. The trade route is prolly the best way to get a top 4 guy.
Being in BC I have the unfortunate duty of watching Canuck games quite regularly. I have to agree with Pacem, Ohlund has always been the one guy on that team that I didn't hate and respected. I can also understand how you mention he appears to have lost a step this past season. I'm not sure exactly what it was, if it was an actual step backwards, but at times you could argue he wasn't the same defenceman as he had been in the past for the Canucks. He took more penalties than in other years, didn't take as many shots which seemed to result in less goals and offensive production. This in my opinion is attributed to the fact he wasn't relied on nearly as much with the emergence of other PP weapons on the Canucks blueline. In the end, he still managed to see over 21 minutes a game though and played top 4 minutes for them. And I think that is something is he still more than capable of doing for the Flames.

Look at it this way, he has been good for 10+ goals for the better part of his career, but has played a substantial amount on the Powerplay. This year he was replaced by the emergence of Edler, and the continued success of Bieksa and Salo on the point. In Calgary, there is no reason to think he wouldn't take over Aucoin's PP time and do just as well if not better. And let's be honest, we are going to need a second defenceman who can play significant minutes on the PP with Phaneuf.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ohlund in a Flames jersey, to that point he is still only 32, turning 33 this year. I think he's still got a few more years left and I think he would do just fine in Calgary, I'm not totally sold that this past year was a complete step backwards. With that said though I don't think I'd want him here at $5+m/season (if that's what he ends up going for), but I wouldn't mind seeing something around a $8.25/2 years or $12/3 year deal at a similar cap hit to Aucoin if we are unable to land a guy like Bouwmeester.

Puckz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post
Being in BC I have the unfortunate duty of watching Canuck games quite regularly. I have to agree with Pacem, Ohlund has always been the one guy on that team that I didn't hate and respected. I can also understand how you mention he appears to have lost a step this past season. I'm not sure exactly what it was, if it was an actual step backwards, but at times you could argue he wasn't the same defenceman as he had been in the past for the Canucks. He took more penalties than in other years, didn't take as many shots which seemed to result in less goals and offensive production. This in my opinion is attributed to the fact he wasn't relied on nearly as much with the emergence of other PP weapons on the Canucks blueline. In the end, he still managed to see over 21 minutes a game though and played top 4 minutes for them. And I think that is something is he still more than capable of doing for the Flames.

Look at it this way, he has been good for 10+ goals for the better part of his career, but has played a substantial amount on the Powerplay. This year he was replaced by the emergence of Edler, and the continued success of Bieksa and Salo on the point. In Calgary, there is no reason to think he wouldn't take over Aucoin's PP time and do just as well if not better. And let's be honest, we are going to need a second defenceman who can play significant minutes on the PP with Phaneuf.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ohlund in a Flames jersey, to that point he is still only 32, turning 33 this year. I think he's still got a few more years left and I think he would do just fine in Calgary, I'm not totally sold that this past year was a complete step backwards. With that said though I don't think I'd want him here at $5+m/season (if that's what he ends up going for), but I wouldn't mind seeing something around a $8.25/2 years or $12/3 year deal at a similar cap hit to Aucoin if we are unable to land a guy like Bouwmeester.
i agree... I couldn't justify going more than 4.5 for 1 or 2 years or up to 4.25 for 3

Old
06-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Pacem

If we have to get a D-man thru the UFA market, instead of spending 4m+ on Ohlund i'd prefer to go after Oduya, or Zanon try and save a bit of $$ Maybe even Leopold.

Phaneuf, Regehr, Sarich, Giordano, Oduya/Zanon/Leopold, and Pardy (assuming we sign him) is a pretty decent top six. Tippett or Sutter as coach and our team defense should improve over last season.

Old
06-11-2009, 09:01 PM
Puckz

Quote:
If we have to get a D-man thru the UFA market, instead of spending 4m+ on Ohlund i'd prefer to go after Oduya, or Zanon try and save a bit of $$ Maybe even Leopold.

Phaneuf, Regehr, Sarich, Giordano, Oduya/Zanon/Leopold, and Pardy (assuming we sign him) is a pretty decent top six. Tippett or Sutter as coach and our team defense should improve over last season.
It's not bad... Oduya and Zanon are both fairly underrated (but I doubt that holds true among the 30 NHL GM's in the league, someone will ante up)... Leopold I don't know, not sold on him but he's not absolutely horrible. To me he's a little younger, second tier Ohlund type defenceman. Not as strong at either end of the ice. My concern with Zanon is that he's all defence no offence and I think we have that beat with Regehr and Sarich. Not saying that it's a bad type of model for your defencemen but with losing one of your key offensive threats on the point I would think we need someone to step in and replace it.

Oduya is somewhat interesting, for a guy that sees limited PP time his numbers are actually not half bad leading me to think that he could increase them. To be honest though, even with the Centre Ice package the Devils were not a team I followed all that closely. What I can remember is he did seem to be very mobile but a little scrambly with the puck, wouldn't slow it down and play possession nearly enough. Try and force a play from time to time instead of looking at other options, like I said though I didn't see him too often so correct me if I am wrong.

Old
06-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Maybe even Leopold.

No the Flames dont need him....Hasnt been the same for 3 yrs. Horrible giveaways and soft.

Old
06-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Trav

I agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous_j View Post
i would rather see us use that money to grab jay bo. our offense is fine, it`s our defense that needs some tuneups
But how bout Mike Cammerelli, i hope he can stay.

Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Pacem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckz View Post
It's not bad... Oduya and Zanon are both fairly underrated (but I doubt that holds true among the 30 NHL GM's in the league, someone will ante up)... Leopold I don't know, not sold on him but he's not absolutely horrible. To me he's a little younger, second tier Ohlund type defenceman. Not as strong at either end of the ice. My concern with Zanon is that he's all defence no offence and I think we have that beat with Regehr and Sarich. Not saying that it's a bad type of model for your defencemen but with losing one of your key offensive threats on the point I would think we need someone to step in and replace it.

Oduya is somewhat interesting, for a guy that sees limited PP time his numbers are actually not half bad leading me to think that he could increase them. To be honest though, even with the Centre Ice package the Devils were not a team I followed all that closely. What I can remember is he did seem to be very mobile but a little scrambly with the puck, wouldn't slow it down and play possession nearly enough. Try and force a play from time to time instead of looking at other options, like I said though I didn't see him too often so correct me if I am wrong.
I didn't see Oduya much either, just going on from what i've read about him. I have a very similiar view point as you do on what kind of D-man he is. He's mobile and plays well in a defensive system. Assuming our next coach will be a more defensive minded coach, or a coach that actually has a defensive system he could play just as well here. I just like the mobility, and I think he can help fill in on the PP with Aucoin leaving.

I'm just thinking of cheaper D-men simply because of what the cap will be the year after next. Ohlund's 4m+ contract is going to look bad at that point, real bad if this past year was an indication of where he is at in this point of his career. Oduya isn't likely to be too much cheaper, i'm thinking he'll fetch 3-3.5m because GM's love to spend money on D in the off season. I think Oduya has more legs in him then Ohlund who is on the decline. Thats why I threw Leopold on that list just cause im thinking he'll be like 2 - 2.5m ish, and im thinking cheap. Zanon is prolly the cheapest option. If we paid Ohlund 4m+ we'd have I think 13 players at a cap hit of over 40m(2010/11) and thats with Jokinen's contract gone. Not 100% on the exact number of players and cap hit for 2010/11 but its pretty close to that.

Either way 2010/11 we're going to be in tough with the cap, so we best be winning the cup next year

Old
06-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Puckz

According to Fan960 Heatley to Calgary is close, couldn't listen myself but here's a thread where it was posted...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...3#post19892763

Comments?

Old
06-12-2009, 07:08 PM
bananaz

it's not going to happen, guaranteed

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Pacem

I certainly hope not.

Old
06-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Oblivion

I think he'll be dealt to the Oilers. I don't think we'll acquire him and truthfully, considering his contract and what it'll cost to acquire him, I don't want the Flames to acquire him.

I think fans, especially on internet message boards are incredibly stoked he's available. But I think there are many GMs who aren't interested in him based on external factors and the list of bidders is alot shrter than we think. Especially considering Murray is not in a rebuild mindset (or so it seems) and he'll be looking for a combination of young potential and current assets.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:17 PM
GoFlames

It sounds crazy... no way we will decimate the D to get a sniper... we would have to dump snipers then and salary. I would rather Jay Bo... and a cheaper UFA if Cammy will not be back.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Body Checker

Trading Phaneuf for Heatley then signing Bouwmeester as an UFA is an easy choice, effectively it's Phaneuf for Heatley and Bouwmeester. All 30 GMs would make that deal. Would it work salary wise?

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Would it work salary wise?
No, you double the salary

Old
06-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Puckz

It's close but no you wouldn't be able to fit that in under the cap, and as mentioned before, even if we were somehow able to barely squeeze it in under the wire, you would be in a tight spot come next off-season with a bunch of guys locked in long term and the possibility of the cap decreasing.

I'll be surprised if Heatley ends up here, it's another huge contract, wouldn't hate having Heatley up front but would be tough to do and I still don't like the idea of moving Phaneuf.

If we can get Bouwmeester, great, but there's still the possibility of needing to move an asset to be in a healthy cap position, maybe it's Langkow? Who knows, Bouwmeester coming here is even a little bit of a longshot...

Ohlund, Oduya, decent secondary options... Beauchemin is out there too but who knows what Anaheim's plans are with the latest Pronger/Johnson rumours, they may end up re-signing Beauchemin before he hits the market and I think I rather have Ohlund or Oduya before Beauchemin.

Anyone interested in Steve Sullivan if we could get him for a decent contract? This would obviously only be possible should Heatley and Bouwmeester fall through. Sullivan is an injury risk with his back, a little similar to Bertuzzi, but he is (or at least was) a heck of a player when healthy, just an idea.

Old
06-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Lunatik*

I would love Sullivan... but to me it more depends if he is considered a 34 or 35 year old this summer by NHL rules... Sullivan turns 35 on July 6th... I think since his bday is after July 1st he is considered 34... and if he is I would offer him 3 years/12 million... however if he is considered 35... I would offer him a 1 year incentive laden deal where he could make up to 4

I would rather try to land Sullivan & Ohlund than Bouwmeester or Heatley... i think together Sullivan and Ohlund will only make maybe a million more than Heatley and maybe 1.5 more than Bouwmeester

Old
06-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Pacem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I would love Sullivan... but to me it more depends if he is considered a 34 or 35 year old this summer by NHL rules... Sullivan turns 35 on July 6th... I think since his bday is after July 1st he is considered 34... and if he is I would offer him 3 years/12 million... however if he is considered 35... I would offer him a 1 year incentive laden deal where he could make up to 4

I would rather try to land Sullivan & Ohlund than Bouwmeester or Heatley... i think together Sullivan and Ohlund will only make maybe a million more than Heatley and maybe 1.5 more than Bouwmeester

Naslund Bday is July 30th, he was considered 34 so I think the same would apply to Sullivan so long as he was signed before the 6th.