HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Trade / Salary Cap Question

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Mr Underhill

vCash: 500
Vinny Trade / Salary Cap Question

If we wind up trading Vinny, does any know how much salary we would theoretically have to get in return to reach the cap floor? Or, if we dont receive enough salary back, will we be forced to sign or trade for a rather pricey player to reach the floor?

Old
06-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Hockeyfan02

They're going to be taking a few million back in a trade because a team trading for Vinny will probably want to give an overpaid player back. Let's say the cap floor is 40 million. Once you consider the raises Smaby, Ramo, Karsums will get (assuming they just sign the qualifying offer which is 10%) and the rookie max Tavares/Hedman will get (3.725 similar to Stamkos)...they wouldn't have to sign a pricey UFA just to get to the cap floor. I don't think getting to the floor would be a problem (ex: taking a huge contract back in a trade or having to overpay a UFA to reach the floor). Just curious, why do you ask? My guess from reading around is that the team will probably spend 45-49 million which is probably over the floor so I don't think it should be a concern.

Old
06-10-2009, 04:37 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

But you didn't hear the news? The canadian media says we'll be a cap floor team!

Old
06-10-2009, 04:46 PM
garmonbozia

Subtracting Vinny from all that is currently under contract next year puts us just a hair over 30 Million. That also includes some minor league players whose contracts won't count against next years cap. It does not include any of the RFAs yet to be tendered offers. Not sure if that number includes Vrbata either.

Guesstimate taken from http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.p...BL&season=0809

Unless the returns are extremely subpar from a Hockey perspective I wouldn't expect the total cap hit coming back to be less than 5 million. In fact, if it widens the potential trading partners, i could see the team entertaining offers that saw them take back more cap hit than delivered if only over the short term (i.e. before Stamkos and this years pick need resigned).

Still not seeing the sense in trading him away at this point. It mainly seems founded in a fear of committing to the length of term of the contract extension. In my opinion, they had to realize some of the more far reaching implications of that term when they negotiated just a year ago. His cap hit isn't atrocious, and there are enough other component parts signed with enough room below the cap to add more relevant pieces this offseason. If they want to compete for a playoff spot next year they won't trade him.

Old
06-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
They're going to be taking a few million back in a trade because a team trading for Vinny will probably want to give an overpaid player back. Let's say the cap floor is 40 million. Once you consider the raises Smaby, Ramo, Karsums will get (assuming they just sign the qualifying offer which is 10%) and the rookie max Tavares/Hedman will get (3.725 similar to Stamkos)...they wouldn't have to sign a pricey UFA just to get to the cap floor. I don't think getting to the floor would be a problem (ex: taking a huge contract back in a trade or having to overpay a UFA to reach the floor). Just curious, why do you ask? My guess from reading around is that the team will probably spend 45-49 million which is probably over the floor so I don't think it should be a concern.
Well, the immediate idea that spawned my thought process was Dion Phaneuf. The only reason I thought about him is because of what Lawton said about trading with a team that has to dump salary because they signed J-Bo.

Really any pricey player comes to mind, not specifically Dion, but I was intrigued about him because of the rumors of J-Bo possibly winding up in Calgary and Phaneuf maybe being available.

I personally would love to trade for Phaneuf. I dont care what anyone says about him being reckless or sloppy. The guy is still young, and there isnt one defenseman in the East who hits like he does. The only thing is he comes with a lofty contract, and I dont know if Lawton was thinking about trading for that much when he was talking about trading for a salary dump from the team that signs J-Bo.

I actually dont see any trade possibility between Calgary and Tampa. The stars would have to align to make that trade happen, so I'm not counting on it.

Last edited by Mr Underhill: 06-10-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
BRichards19

Iginla and Vinny on the same line would be very cool.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:38 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdvda View Post
I personally would love to trade for Phaneuf. I dont care what anyone says about him being reckless or sloppy. The guy is still young, and there isnt one defenseman in the East who hits like he does.
I love his ability to rack up stupid penalties.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBearMountain View Post
I love his ability to rack up stupid penalties.
everones got some reason not to want a good player.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
everones got some reason not to want a good player.
Perhaps we just have different ideas of what "good' is and what this team needs. Sorry, I don't buy the hype.

You want to talk about someone good to pick up salary for if Calgary is hurting? Robyn Regehr.

In wins, he is a +23. In losses, a -13. Strong, physical vet that can coach the young kids on positional play and let them work offensive magic. As goes Regehr, as goes his team. Thats a great defenseman. Thats what we need.

Last edited by The Fear Boners: 06-10-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old
06-10-2009, 08:21 PM
STRANGE VICTORY

Quote:
Perhaps we just have different ideas of what "good' is and what this team needs. Sorry, I don't buy the hype.

You want to talk about someone good to pick up salary for if Calgary is hurting? Robyn Regehr.

In wins, he is a +23. In losses, a -13. Strong, physical vet that can coach the young kids on positional play and let them work offensive magic. As goes Regehr, as goes his team. Thats a great defenseman. Thats what we need.
Agree completely, Regehr is the best defenseman in Calgary and I would love to have him on the team, we would instantly be a much better team.

I was reading the Blues board and it seems Barret Jackman could be traded this offseason, I think he would be a great guy to bring in, and would cost a whole lot less than Regehr as far as value going the other way goes.

Old
06-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Mr Underhill

Quote:

I know about Regehr. I didnt even mention him because I figured they would never trade him. Hes only 28 and signed cheap. If they had to make a trade to shed salary, it wouldnt be him.

Old
06-11-2009, 08:27 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
I know about Regehr. I didnt even mention him because I figured they would never trade him. Hes only 28 and signed cheap. If they had to make a trade to shed salary, it wouldnt be him.
I know, but if they're that desperate to move salary, that'd be the only one i'd target, if I were Lawton. Don't take the overpaid d-man.

Closed Thread