HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Will Paul Kariya make the HHOF?

View Poll Results: Will Kariya make the HHOF?
Yes 23 31.51%
No 50 68.49%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Elvs

vCash: 500
Will Paul Kariya make the HHOF?

Will Paul Kariya make the Hockey Hall of Fame? Got curious cause of the Roenick thread. Now, don't base your opinions as if he were to quit today... But when he retires in 3 or 4 years or so, do you think he will make the HHOF?

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:08 PM
ushvinder

It's hard to say, he was better than Jeremy Roenick. Paul Kariya has a shot at it, last year he was doing good prior to getting injured. If he puts up an 80+ point season next year I can see it happening. Kariya is on the level of guys like Bill Mosienko and Rod Gilbert and he's certainly above Joe Mullen and Mike Gartner.

ushvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I'm sorry but if players like Kariya make it to the hall of fame, than we can better quit.

Goals arent everything but mean a lot, Mullen and Gartner had several big seasons. He is certainly not above Gartner.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
ushvinder

I think you are just looking at raw stats, mullenand gartner played in the 80's when scoring was high, Kariya is a deadpuck era player. Kariya finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 13th in the scoring race. He is certainly above Mullen and Gartner. He's right up there with Mosienko and Rod Gilbert.

Old
06-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Sony Eriksson*

If he gets in it will be an injustice to Oates and Makarov.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:09 PM
STEVENS4

if it weren't for scotty and gary suter, kariya would still be considered in the same tier as other superstars of his generation. unfortunately for kariya his small stature made him susceptible to dirty play and open ice hits which have worn on him over the years. at this point he probably wouldn't make the hall, which is unfortunate. if somehow he wins a stanley cup (good luck!) or any other hardware besides the lady *****.. i mean byng, he would have a much better shot at making it (obviously).

STEVENS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ushvinder View Post
I think you are just looking at raw stats, mullenand gartner played in the 80's when scoring was high, Kariya is a deadpuck era player. Kariya finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 7th, and 13th in the scoring race. He is certainly above Mullen and Gartner. He's right up there with Mosienko and Rod Gilbert.
I will give you that (era's), yet the difference is still huge. You say Kariya finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 7th....yes okay, that's excatly my point, too poor for the HOF.

Old
06-10-2009, 03:14 PM
ushvinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
I will give you that (era's), yet the difference is still huge. You say Kariya finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 7th....yes okay, that's excatly my point, too poor for the HOF.
LOL gartner never finished higher than 10th, mullen cracked the top 10 once. I'm talking about points bud, not goals.

Rod Gilbert and Bill Mosienko didnt do any better in the scoring race, hell i would argue kariya is better than both.

Old
06-10-2009, 03:16 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

If players were inducted on pure awesomeness then Kariya would have a free ride. Hell I would even pay for lunch.

But as awesome as Kariya has been, he does not have the qualities, much less the overall stats to get into the HHOF.

Sorry bud.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
LOL gartner never finished higher than 10th, mullen cracked the top 10 once. I'm talking about points bud, not goals.
Yeah let's just forget a consistant 20 year hockey career with 708 goals.....because Paul Kariya once finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th and 7th in points.

Old
06-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Yeah let's just forget a consistant 20 year hockey career with 708 goals.....because Paul Kariya once finished 3rd, 3rd, 4th and 7th in points.
Why the hell does it matters where he ranked season by season? If numbers counts, it's the numbers themselves and not at what position his stats ranked him.

Then Lemieux isn't the next best hockey player all time because he was just 2nd best on Gretzkys time. The current best player should then be better than Lemieux was with that philosophy.

It's like the Lidstrom/Bourque discussion, Bourque had much more competition to win the Norris than Nick has ever had.

Kariya had his prime during times when Forsberg, Lindros, Sundin, Selanne, Modano, Lemieux, Bure, Leclair, Sakic, Yzerman, Hull and others also were great hockey players... Today there's simply not that many good players.

Old
06-10-2009, 03:54 PM
DOOMGUY*

Only five players have scored more goals than Gartner, Kariya can't be compared to him.

DOOMGUY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOMGUY View Post
Only five players have scored more goals than Gartner, Kariya can't be compared to him.
You have to take into account that Gartner has played 500 more games than Kariya has. In a few years, Kariya will at least have enough games under his belt to be considered. He hasn't even 1000 yet, but he will have more than 1000 with a margin when he retires.

Old
06-10-2009, 04:01 PM
berney fkaj

Quote:
It's hard to say, he was better than Jeremy Roenick. Paul Kariya has a shot at it, last year he was doing good prior to getting injured. If he puts up an 80+ point season next year I can see it happening. Kariya is on the level of guys like Bill Mosienko and Rod Gilbert and he's certainly above Joe Mullen and Mike Gartner.

He was/is not better than Gartner. Gartner also had a number of huge years, but continued to play well his whole career. He averaged a goal every second game, thats pretty hard to do.

berney fkaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:25 PM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOMGUY View Post
Keep in mind that at no point in Mike Gartner's career did anyone consider him one of the best players in hockey. Kariya was a much better player. He was a true superstar with 5 all-
star selections to Gartner's zero.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:29 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by berney fkaj View Post
He was/is not better than Gartner. Gartner also had a number of huge years, but continued to play well his whole career. He averaged a goal every second game, thats pretty hard to do.
Name one "huge year" that Gartner had. Gartner is the perfect case of a player who was consistantly good but never one of the best in the league. Anyway, he's in because his career numbers were too gaudy to ignore, but Kariya at his best was a better player by a good margin.

As for the original question, it's tough. I'm leaning no, but he does have a decent shot. 3 First Team and 2 Second Team All Star berths are tough to ignore.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:29 PM
Elvs

I can't believe the Roenick thread has 57% yes and this one has 75% no... Thought they should be at least closer...

Old
06-10-2009, 05:44 PM
ushvinder

Quote:
Lets just ignore that Gartner played in an era where everybody put up 80 points per season. By the way how has he had a consistant 20 point season when he only finished in the top 35 scorers five times his whole career. Putting togther a bunch of 50-70 POINT SEASONS in the 90s is not consistent.

Old
06-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfstrand View Post
Why the hell does it matters where he ranked season by season? If numbers counts, it's the numbers themselves and not at what position his stats ranked him.
Context.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Elvs

If we are gonna compare Kariya to Gartner and Mullen, you must also add the fact that Kariya played on an expansion team that Disney never cared to put any money in. Kariya would score 108 points on a team which no one else had 45 points.

Imo, if Kariya could keep the phase up and maybe maka a couple of 80+ points seasons, a long with a long PO run, I think he can make the HHOF. On a line with McDonald and Boyes he should really be able to put up those points, Kariya even played his best hockey in his 11 games this season in a very long time. The Blues may not win the cup while Kariya still plays, but they sure has an interesting team that can make a good run in next years playoffs.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:17 PM
ushvinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfstrand View Post
If we are gonna compare Kariya to Gartner and Mullen, you must also add the fact that Kariya played on an expansion team that Disney never cared to put any money in. Kariya would score 108 points on a team which no one else had 45 points.

Imo, if Kariya could keep the phase up and maybe maka a couple of 80+ points seasons, a long with a long PO run, I think he can make the HHOF. On a line with McDonald and Boyes he should really be able to put up those points, Kariya even played his best hockey in his 11 games this season in a very long time. The Blues may not win the cup while Kariya still plays, but they sure has an interesting team that can make a good run in next years playoffs.
Yeah all he really needs is a playoff run, regular season wise he is very similar to Pavel Bure actually, the only edge Bure has is that he was better in the playoffs and played with bums his whole career.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
DaHabMan

he's one of my favorite players of all-time but he doesnt have a sufficient resume to make it. He has been an all-star for his career but sadly, not a hof.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:31 PM
JSF1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVENS4 View Post
if it weren't for scotty and gary suter, kariya would still be considered in the same tier as other superstars of his generation. unfortunately for kariya his small stature made him susceptible to dirty play and open ice hits which have worn on him over the years. at this point he probably wouldn't make the hall, which is unfortunate. if somehow he wins a stanley cup (good luck!) or any other hardware besides the lady *****.. i mean byng, he would have a much better shot at making it (obviously).
Agree with the bolded part. With that said, I still think he should and will make the Hall of Fame. During his best 4-5 years, the guy was a top 3-5 forward in the league. That's good enough in my book, and when you consider some of the more marginal HOFers who've been inducted, the choice is even clearer.

JSF1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
ozzie

Pre Suter hit Kariya was amazing. Just like JR he showed the brief glimpse of the type of player he was. He left us disappointed and wanting more.

His international career of a gold and silver medal make at the olympics make his case somewhat stronger. But I still don't think he should get in.

ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:54 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

I think he has a shot. It obviously depends on what he does until he retires. He's 34 right now (but will basically be 35 when the new season starts). Let's say he retires at the age of 39, that gives him 5 more seasons. Right now he's at 914 GP 384 goals, 562 assists, and 946 points. He was playing good before the injury, and while he's 34 I have no doubt he can still put up points. Something like 70, 60, 50, 40, 30 points over the next 5 seasons puts him at 1200 career points, and he'll likely finish a bit under 500 goals (maybe like 470 goals). If he gets a cup...who knows

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote