HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Anyone checking this site every few hours hoping to see "Flyers fire John Stevens"

Old
06-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE BETTMAN View Post
This subject is getting old....
nice username

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
SteveH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Fan Forever View Post
nice username
Funniest thing I've read all week. Thanks!

SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
CantSeeColors

In sort of related news, I heard they might be firing Reggie Lemelin. This comes from a guy my dad works with who is supposedly friends with Lemelin, so take it for what it's worth, but I'd be extremely happy if it's true.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:00 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'm not sure I'd be too excited for Holmgren to jump behind the bench. He wasn't a particularly successful coach, and he hasn't been behind the bench in over a decade at this point.

I actually doubt we'll see a move prior to the end of the season next year...other than if Emery blows up and this team is in an absolute tailspin. Of course, if the Emery signing doesn't work out then it should be Holmgren's neck that is on the line. Last season he gave Stevens a crappy defense to start the season (and tried to fix that...which led to cap problems), and now he's given him a complete ? in net.
I don't disagree with much of the latter comments at all, in fact, I concur. But within that may be the prime reason for Holmgren to make such a maneuver for the (emphasis here) short-term. It is tough to quantify in the present, based on unknown variables, what point in time this could occur -- if the Flyers start hot then tail dramatically, that could be the determining factor. This is not something I am encouraging (today) since it is a hypothetical, merely saying I wouldn't be surprised.

I am not sure he will have a repeat performance of the behind-the-scenes of whatever transpired this past season. If he "met" with the players and discussed certain measures. He may just take it to the next level.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
I don't disagree with much of the latter comments at all, in fact, I concur. But within that may be the prime reason for Holmgren to make such a maneuver for the (emphasis here) short-term. It is tough to quantify in the present, based on unknown variables, what point in time this could occur -- if the Flyers start hot then tail dramatically, that could be the determining factor. This is not something I am encouraging (today) since it is a hypothetical, merely saying I wouldn't be surprised.
Don't forget Paddock right there in the organization...I would actually prefer that as the stop-gap/immediate move should it be found necessary. Of course, if the personnel moves really backfire, then Holmgren may really feel the heat and take some personal responsibility for his actions.

All that being said, I am expecting them to be pretty much what they were this year...which should lead to no coaching change.

Quote:
I am not sure he will have a repeat performance of the behind-the-scenes of whatever transpired this past season. If he "met" with the players and discussed certain measures. He may just take it to the next level.
I don't know, that's the second year in a row Holmgren has fired shots across the bow towards the end of the season. Really not expecting him to do anything with Stevens unless the situation is such that it absolutely demands action. I really think he's too close with Stevens, and it's understandable given their long history with one another.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:22 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I was thinking about the Paddock idea the other day, and I'm somewhat in agreement with one of Jester's points, that being Paddock is probably the next coach of the Flyers (provided he doesn't take another job), if Stevens were to not make it through the season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:36 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
Wasn't Paddock tagged with being too soft with players in Ottawa and they took advantage of that? I am not sure of Paddock's coaching demeanor but if Stevens loses his team next season and that is part of a dismissal, my guess is the replacement would have a more aggressive style if we are talking an in-season/late-season change. If we are talking the start of 2009-10, then no way does Holmgren appoint himself; I'd be beyond shocked if that happened.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Wasn't Paddock tagged with being too soft with players in Ottawa and they took advantage of that? I am not sure of Paddock's coaching demeanor but if Stevens loses his team next season and that is part of a dismissal, my guess is the replacement would have a more aggressive style if we are talking an in-season/late-season change. If we are talking the start of 2009-10, then no way does Holmgren appoint himself; I'd be beyond shocked if that happened.
Paddock, to my understanding...was/is quite soft with his players. He's also been labeled a 'players coach'. Take what you will from that.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Sheep.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:45 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Paddock, to my understanding...was/is quite soft with his players. He's also been labeled a 'players coach'. Take what you will from that.
That was one of the reasons they fired him - the team looked lackadaisical, playing "with no heart" - if I recall correctly.

Ottawa (as well as many people here who lauded the move and pined for it to be replicated here) soon discovered that players decide games.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Ottawa (as well as many people here who lauded the move and pined for it to be replicated here) soon discovered that players decide games.
Good coaching makes players better.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:18 AM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Yep. He was the senile old dolt who didn't even know what a double change was, kept putting Eric Bruntlett out there, and thought Carlos Ruiz was better than Chris Coste.

Not much of that talk anymore...
Sure there is. Charlie isn't a good tactical coach. Case in point, trotting Clay Condrey out there three days ago in a one-run game in the sixth. But he is a good motivator, and he seemingly keeps the chemistry strong in the locker room. And, obviously, he was good enough to win the World Series; however, this does not excuse the fact that he makes routine errors, like keeping Eric Bruntlett in the big leagues.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Kaktus*

that ****_sucker (Stevens) is going nowhere. Homer said a number of times that he is the men for the job. Why? I do not know, why can't we replace Berube with someone who can teach out d-men to play D.

I guess Homer likes making all those moves and giving up (Downie, 1st round pick before season started, then Upshall, 2nd round pick cap problems) for players like Eminger, Carle, Alberts who knows maybe he will sign Bouwmeester (this season) but so called system never ****ing works because there is no system.

Forwards back checking? Individually both Richards and Carter are awesome on D, Metro was not so bad either. Individually most of our d-men last season on paper were above then lets say Devils, Rangers or even Pittsburgh (keep in mind Gonchar and Whitney were injured for a long period of time)

No wonder Flyers gave up 3 goals lead in playoffs and golfing now and no wonder Stevens does not have an answer why Pens won that particular game. Make excuses about shoulder injuries and so on, it's not the 1st time, right? Waste another year.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Kaktus*

Another thing that really pissed me off in Homers interview is how Stevens learns and he make mistakes and we all makes mistakes part.

Me personally, I imagined right away how Stevens will learn something about coaching and gain that valuable coaching experience in the NHL and we get lucky we will beat Washington or maybe Pittsburgh and we will be in finals and guess what?

Some head coach in the West with 10-15 years of NHL experience and a few Stanley cups and as well multiple playoffs will out coach us on something really small. Then Homer will fire Stevens and we will be learning some other **** with some new coach for another 5 years.

If you want to learn something spend time in AHL and after that spend time as an assistant head coach in NHL. I mean am I wrong?

So we have young players who allowed to make mistakes (I have no problems here), we have some players who are a little lazy (Briere, lets face it he was slacking in his 1st season, Lupul this season), we have head coach who is learning, learning what? I have no ****ing clue. (How not to be out shot for dummies going on 2nd year or some other **** like effort in every game) and we have GM who also makes questionable moves. Makes me wanna say WTF!!! We have Pittsburgh in our Division that have more talent then Devils in previous decade.

Am I making any sense? Happy Friday everyone!

Last edited by Kaktus*: 06-12-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
Really, what is a system?

-A consistent break out, which the Flyers have. We just throw it up ice.

-A consistent or at least organized way to attack / enter the offensive zone. Right now we just wing it each time with everyone improvising.

-An organized forecheck.

-Organized offensive and defensive zone play.

Now, please watch the Stanley Cup, and then watch a recording of an old Flyers game from this year, or any game under Stevens. Watch how the Red Wings start the puck behind the net, players organize, puck breaks out, zips through neutral ice, and is in the opposing zone. This is not just because of Detroit's good players. If Samuelson, Cleary, and Fillpula can do it, then Giroux, Briere, and Gagne can do it.
you along with alot of others are mistaking " execution" for " system"

if your at teh games and you follow the game away from the puck you can see times when they implement a 2-1-2, a 1-2-2, AND a center support system where the results in two defenders on a puck carrier and turnovers are a benefit, but beware that it does leave the high slot open and vulnerable

Quote:
I think you have your answer: "what the Red Wings do."
the playesr bought into a system by coach babcock that took 3 years before a cup( losing in first round and conf. finals respectively).

i'm not counting stevens first year take over. its ignorant to. just as much as its ignorant to not realize there are systems being used. and alternatives for situations.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
coda

Quote:
...and thought Carlos Ruiz was better than Chris Coste.
..he is...

coda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:19 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
I think you have your answer: "what the Red Wings do."
so you really don't think Babcock had any hand in developing playings like Hudler, Filpula, Franzen into good players?Not to mention D men like Lebda and Lilja, who he gets the most out of. Cleary and Stuart were rejects when they went to Detroit and now they are top quality players. Coaching affects the players, and you need to realize this.

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:26 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:

then what the hell is the point of having a coach then?
You seem to think that a head coach makes no differance whatsoever.
At least Stevens could go to his second job of baking cakes then if coaches dont matter and only players are responsible for winning hockey games.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:10 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
When Paddock got fired, people here went nuts saying "Come on Holmer! Pull the trigger!!"

You were one of them.

Then Ottawa continued their collapse, the Flyers went on to the Conference Finals, and people like you had to fall back on "Marty stood on his head!" and "Price was terrible!!!".

Funny, isnt it? For you, it became about the players when they started winning.

Old
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Good coaching makes players better.
Indeed it does.

Old
06-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Flyers Fan Forever

We need to learn from the Penguins.

Stevens' "claim to fame" is that he got us to the Conference Finals. Well Therrien got the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Finals, but they still fired his ass because he's an awful coach.

Look at them now.

Flyers Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:51 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:

Stevens' "claim to fame" is that he got us to the Conference Finals. Well Therrien got the Penguins to the Stanley Cup Finals, but they still fired his ass because he's an awful coach.

Look at them now.
Holmgren and Stevens both say "at least we showed we could compete with Pittsburgh. what a load of crap. so we are settling with just being able to compete with the Pens? give me a break"

Last edited by GoneFullHolmgren: 06-13-2009 at 12:47 AM.
GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:44 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
then what the hell is the point of having a coach then?
At least Stevens could go to his second job of baking cakes then if coaches dont matter and only players are responsible for winning hockey games.
Well, if the players win, the coach automatically receives all the credit.

But if the players lose, hell, it's on the players.

Makes sense.

Yep.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 12:30 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:

Look at them now.
Yay.

For every single example like this year's Pens, there are twenty examples of teams who fire coaches and don't win it all.

Old
06-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Claude Giroux

Quote:
Yay.

For every single example like this year's Pens, there are twenty examples of teams who fire coaches and don't win it all.
The point is, if the Penguins didn't find a new coach, they probably would have missed the playoffs.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote